HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

MWO Forum about "Hawken"

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 blurryhunter

blurryhunter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted October 22 2012 - 09:29 PM

When aiming at light mechs, best bet is to aim slightly ahead (about an inch). All told, however, Streak SRMs were designed as a counter towards the lighter, faster variants of mechs and they do more than enough damage that they'll definitely take a chunk out of a lighter mech. If you aren't equip to deal with a light battlemech, ignore them and let the other members of your team handle them. Many light mechs aren't going to actually bring down anything heavy or assault weight by themselves unless they've got long range support or you're critical somewhere. There are a few exceptions, but those really depend on the player at the helm, the customization done to the variant, and the target in question.

Steel, the biggest reason for that is what PGI is trying to do. They're trying to put the game down as true to the table top as they can. There was no pilot progression in Table Top. Hawken was created from the ground up as a completely fresh IP. PGI is trying to put in some form of growth for people to a game that didn't have persistent pilots like that; unless it was mixed with the RPG.

People don't realize the sheer difference in development two games will have when one is a completely fresh, out of the box idea and the other is rooted to an established canon. The difference is astronomical.

PGI isn't making 'a mech game'. They're bringing Battletech into a medium that really hasn't had it this true to value since MW3; and even then it wasn't like this.

Aside from that, the pilot growth concept isn't meant to overshadow much at all in MWO. Your personal skill with the mech should always trump the 'value skill' of another player. Period.

Even with its faults, MWO is doing far, far better with BattleTech than anyone else has in a long, long time.

I applaud what the Hawken devs are doing. It's great. But trying to compare the two development wise is ludicrous. They're both on completely different planes of approach and scope.

EDIT: Battlemechs, in a lot of cases, were designed with specific roles in mind; hence the variants. Anyone that tells you an Atlas shouldn't engage in a long range fight isn't paying attention. If your variant is designed with that in mind, that's where you're going to find yourself most effective (unless you radically change the design via customization). Some light mechs are designed with a 'Pomeranian' approach; run in, sow confusion, nip at things, while your bigger, better armed allies tear them down. Some medium mechs (and even assault variants) were designed as light mech hunters. Some light mechs had that honor as well. I, for example, use a Commando with 3x Streak SRM 2s and a Medium Laser and hunt light mechs predominately.

Edited by blurryhunter, October 23 2012 - 12:48 AM.

#22 Wadelma

Wadelma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted October 24 2012 - 06:19 AM

View PostSteel_Jesus, on October 21 2012 - 02:37 PM, said:

Oculus rift, Mek-fu, etc etc you can see the hawken devs really care about their product with all their cross market tie ins. while the PGI devs are ho hum. (dual stick would be awesome in MWO but the game cant even support single right now)

So much this, I was hyped about getting to use Joystick to get the best immersion for the game and was so let down when the controls and support is so very broken. I do still like to play it with mouse but it really wrecks the feeling of "sim".
The light mech issue is still there but started countering them with streaks fitted to my Atlas, sucks because you could easily find more use for your weapon slots for 2 missiles.
The devs do feel lazy with the current issues and instead of balancing and fixing, they focus on more content like new mechs.  

What I think they should do is add more authority to the commander's seat. Most PuGs end up with team completely ignoring your orders and wandering off alone. And in 95% of the games I've played nobody even assumes the commander's spot.

Mind is like a parachute, it only works if it's open

Posted Image

#23 CakeBandit

CakeBandit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSears, shopping for mech chassis.

Posted October 27 2012 - 02:11 AM

I play MWO with the cReddit mercenary corp, and it's very much a strategy game. Flying solo is not at all viable like it is in Hawken.

To run a really successful game you have to have all of your pieces moving as a cohesive unit. Positioning, facing, weapon range, top speeds, heat dissipation and a whole crapton of othe features are all really important. You have to direct forces to places and really keep a tight information loup going. In this aspect, it really shows that it used to be a tabletop strategy game.

Hawken if fast-paced, fun, and if I were to bring it down to a single word, "Anime." Don't take that the wrong way either, I love Hawken already. This is awesome. It's just that Hawken is like an entire sack of fun size snickers all to yourself and MWO is a little more like a fancy biscotti. Both are delicious and sweet, but radically different beasts.

I've written a big wall of text about how weird MWO is compared to every other shooter that came out in the past decade or so over on reddit's /r/MWO board, and like to try to get people started on the right foot if they do take up the game. It goes into open beta Monday, so shoot me a private message if you're interested. We'll take over someone's mumble or set up a skype call and I'll put people through the paces.
Posted Image

#24 Toasted_Rofls

Toasted_Rofls

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 02:34 AM

I keep seeing people try to compare these two games, and I have no idea why. Then they berate one over the other because they are trying to shoehorn one of them into a style that it never pretended to be.

Hawken is simply a faster paced game, and its more focused on individual skill and rapid thinking. Mechwarrior is slower, and more focused on teamwork and longer term tactics.

I personally like how both of them look myself, although Mechwarrior is a little nicer if I had to pick.

#25 Neurofunk

Neurofunk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted November 01 2012 - 03:12 PM

Customization in MWO can be overwhelming, it's not fun at all for me. also MWO is really slow paced, its not like you were mech commander, it's more like if you were trying to drift with 18-wheeler. the laser are cool though :D

I'd like to see some more weaponry in Hawken, just to fit different playing styles, but the weapons should be made only slightly different in power in their categories (to avoid perfect builds by making every build perfect)

#26 olll

olll

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted December 18 2012 - 11:45 AM

MWO is an exelent and fun game, I hope for a story mode paid or free I dont care . but right know still in beta the incredible build flexibility and the "slow" aproach I call serious aproach where the mix of action or no action can define the match. and when you are dead you are dead.

Edited by olll, December 18 2012 - 12:52 PM.

#27 BizzyBum

BizzyBum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted December 18 2012 - 01:09 PM

It's funny how everyone here is mostly "Looks way too slow and boring" and everyone over at MWO is saying Hawken is "way too fast and arcady" :lol:

Going by that vid alone (so I know my opinion is pretty low) I would much prefer Hawken's gameplay.

Join the Brotherhood.

Posted Image

http://BSB-Hawken.us

#28 Smiticus

Smiticus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted January 23 2013 - 06:33 AM

Trust me: stay away from MWO. I speak as an Elite Founder. The devs are basically jerks, or are doing everything in their power to appear so. Their community is toxic. And the game itself is in limbo. How so: heres a lil list.. not even all the issues

-Netcode (mechs have had their speeds reduced to to their netcode not being able to handle it. This problem has started since the beginning of the game, and was not given a priority as the devs tested the game with in house servers. Additionally, some weapons such as lasers, will not register properly for hits.)
-Information (Nothing has any stats on it. There is not tutorial offline mode to test your mech. The only way you can know what weapons have what range/heat is to be familiar with the tabletop game, and even then there are some changes. There are also a few totally useless items which have not been implemented but are equippable and purchasable)
-Removal of features as questionable balancing tactic (i.e. removal of all repairs and rearming changed the games dynamic. Removal of collision made light mechs more or less a terror to assault and slow moving mechs. etc.)

Stick with Hawken Trust Me. Unless you're a HUGE battletech fan or love PGI for some reason, it is an inferior less fun game.

Heres a quick link to a forum post to show you how messed up the game is:
http://mwomercs.com/...what-you-think/

#29 Kai_Kitamura

Kai_Kitamura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted January 23 2013 - 11:21 PM

Unless you're a HUGE battletech fan
But then you have the upcoming MW Tactics (though it's also published by IGP), MW4, MW: Living Legends, Mechcommander... Still no reason to touch MWO.
Brawler - Gespenst Type-S -=- Bruiser - Gespenst Type-R -=- Rocketeer - Randgirth -=- Infiltrator - Lion -=- Sharpshooter - Weissritter

...make no mistake - we are not shy
We're very wide awake - the moon and I!

#30 necroq

necroq

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Locationhere

Posted January 23 2013 - 11:59 PM

i felt as sleep while trying to "play" this.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users