HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Hawken Leaderboards Plans - Feedback requested

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 Ashfire908

Ashfire908

The First Ninja

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted May 21 2014 - 08:51 PM

Update 4: Looking for more feedback, see here.

Update 3: I have reduced the number of ranked stats to 15. While it would have been cool to have some of the stats, lines had to be drawn. Final list of ranked stats

Update 2: Development has slowed because I've been busy over the past few days, but I'm trying to get back into working on this. First thing, I want feedback on the new list of ranked stats. Reminder, other stats will be shown on the player pages, but do not have a ranking or a sort option on the main page. Click here for the list.

Update 1: I am changing plans a bit. Only stats available to be sorted by on the leaderboards will be ranked. Accessing your player page will show your rankings for those stats, and then a full breakdown for nearly all of your stats, pulled for you on the fly, instead of every 12/24 hours (there will probably be some to-be-determined caching on this though). The stats will include both aggregate stats and stats for each of your mechs. I will also be reevaluating all aggregate (ie total kills) and derivatives of them (kill/death ratio) for use in rankings. I'll be taking the suggestions people have given into consideration when I do so.

Original post:

Hi there everyone. I've been working on setting up a leaderboard system, and before I fully locked down the design, I wanted to get some feedback from the community on how I should implement it. Some of the stuff I can't change in design, but a fair bit of it is flexible, and I'm building this for the community, so I'd like to do what the community would find the most useful for the most people.

So, what is this leaderboard system about_ Well, it's mainly based around rankings by different stats. Here's the overview of the core of it (besides what stats are recorded, I can't update this system, as I had to turn on the polling system in advance since it needs a week long startup period):
  • Every minute, a snapshot of the servers is made. Players are either added to the database, or have their last seen time updated. Matches have basic info recorded (gametype, map, server name) and what players are in the match at the moment.
  • Every 12/24 hours (I have not decided yet), all players that have been online since the last update have their stats pulled and stored in the database, updating their old stats.
  • During the update, all players know to the system are ranked by each stat the system stores individually.
That's how the core system works. From there, the data will be fed into a website where everyone can view the rankings for a subset of the collected stats (this can be changed - right now it is MMR, level, time played, xp, kills, deaths, assists). You can sort the players by these stats on the main leaderboard. Their stats are not shown here; only a rank and a player name (atm I have a test where it shows the pilot level, and the first and last times the system detected the player).

Each player has their own player page. It has a list of all their stats and what their ranking is for each stat. The stats are private and can only be viewed by the player (well and me but that doesn't count). Also listed is the matches the player has been seen in, when they entered the match, and when they left. This is public. You can click on a match and be brought to the match page.

Matches, oh boy. So I'm pretty limited here due to limitations I have in the data I can access, so atm this is all you can get: Match id (mess of characters), server name, region, game type, map, and the first and last times the match was seen. Also, you get a list of players, and when they joined and left the match. You can get to a player's page here.

This is how the system is right now (though player logins are not setup atm). Here's some screenshots as it is now:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
THESE RANKINGS ARE NOT CORRECT - THEY ARE JUST TEST DATA - PLEASE DO NOT USE THEM

Alright, now onto what this post is about. I want feedback on a couple systems, as well as the rest of the system as-is. Any ideas for this or anything really would be welcome too! Here are the things that are currently planned:

Group/Clan Support - This is something I just came up with today. My plan is to allow groups (mainly clans, but I'm going to allow anyone to do this) to create their own group and invite people to it (or possibly let people request to join it). The system would require both the player joining and a group leader to accept the request, so people can't just add other people. I may add a option for leaders to control if players can join without approval, with approval, or if they need an invite.

Groups will have their own internal rankings and leaderboards, and will be updated alongside the main leaderboards. Groups will have different role levels. For example, Leader, manager, member. I may add more depending on the privacy feature or other requested features.

If clan support finally comes to in-game, I will integrate it into the site.

Privacy - This is a concern for some that don't want to show there stats. Right now, my plan is to add privacy settings to both the main stats and group support. Main stats would allow you to show/hide yourself from the leaderboard and/or matches (Your rank position will still be there but all data will be replaced with "Private"). Additionally, as an opt-in, you can grant access for anyone to see your stats on your page. For group support, group (if the group can be seen by others, if it's publicly listed, or if it's private), rank (public, shown to group members, or only group members of a given rank - 'no one' is not an option as it would be pointless) and stats (shown to group members, members of a given rank, or only you) visibility will be controlled per group. Members of a group can override these setting for themselves where they would make sense to.

Stats - Stats are the lifeblood of the leaderboards. Without them, there is nothing. I can track more or less than I am atm, or add stats derived from other stats already being tracked. Here's a list of what I'm tracking right now: link. This is a list of everything I can track: link. Please tell me if I should add anything to this. I am not going to track every stat however, only ones related to a leaderboard situation.

Rank changes - As part of rankings, people want to know if they have gone up or down in rank over time. While tracking stats over time is something I think is out of scope for this project, something I'm willing to consider is adding a system to show if you have gone up or down in a rank since the last update. If people really want it, I might add a comparison to your rank over time, but that might be out of scope. Rank changes would have the same privacy as your rank (unless people want an option for this).

Account Linking - This is something I have not figured out yet. Obviously I don't want to let anyone register as any user. The current plan is to use a special code given to you from scrimbot via the in-game chat. Using this during signup I feel should ensure the player registering is who they say they are.

Graphs - What's a pile of data without graphs_ I literally thought of this while writing this, so all I have so far is graphs of each of the tracked stats by rank or such (though not in a way you could work back the data).

That's what I have on the table at the moment. Please give me any feedback you have on any of the stuff here, or any interesting ideas (or questions) you have!

Thanks.

FAQ:

Q: When is it going live_
A: Sooner than this Sunday is impossible. Most likely, it will be sometime next week or the following, depending on how busy I am. Given the influx of features I'm looking to add (isn't feature creep fun_), the leaderboards will probably not launch with all features complete. No ETA at this time.

Q: Where will it be at_
A: Somewhere on my website. The exact location is to be determined, and will be announced when it goes live.

Q: I don't want to give feedback here, can I post it elsewhere_
A: Contact me via PM or via the #hawkenscrim IRC channel (if you require private chat on IRC, use "/query Ashfire908").

Q: Can you break the players down by region_
A: Yes, via the match tracking this is possible, and doing so is planned.

Edited by Ashfire908, August 30 2014 - 01:07 PM.

Developer of ScrimBot and the canceled Hawken leaderboards
Come join the Hawken IRC Channel and chat about Hawken: #hawkenscrim on irc.quakenet.net
Yes, I am a wizard - There is no cupcake conspiracy
[03:18:55 pm] <-- ^-^ (webchat@[ip removed]) has quit (Quit: Later All! Also pls ban Kindos7)

#2 Coboxite

Coboxite

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted May 21 2014 - 09:03 PM

Xacius is number 1, why am I not suprised :P
In all honesty, I really like this, it reminds me of my days of BF2142.

#3 Saturnine

Saturnine

The Brawler Herder

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts
  • LocationTallinn, Estonia

Posted May 21 2014 - 09:04 PM

In before leaderboard reveals Xacius actually isn't highest mmr, Armored Klown is.

Posted Image

digitalhughes: @s9 you stinkn' weasel!

Don't know which mech to pilot_ Check out my guide to the mechs!

Want to hang out with some awesome people, including ReEvolve, Ashfire908, Rei, ThirdEyE, and even the world-famous Loc_Tr_ Come to the #hawkenscrim IRC!

#4 Coboxite

Coboxite

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted May 21 2014 - 09:09 PM

View PostSaturnine, on May 21 2014 - 09:04 PM, said:

In before leaderboard reveals Xacius actually isn't highest mmr, Armored Klown is.
Plot twist: Armored Klown IS Xacius.

#5 Rei

Rei

Hammertime!

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationMore like... HammeredTime

Posted May 21 2014 - 09:12 PM

I do want to reiterate:

THESE RANKINGS ARE NOT CORRECT - THEY ARE JUST TEST DATA - PLEASE DO NOT USE THEM

But yes, I would like to know a few stats other than top mmr and the such.
!HAMMERTIME
~「TWITTER」~「STREAM」~「STREAMING GUIDE」~ Sharpshooter is fair and balanced
Posted Image

#6 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location2300-2400 Pilot Camp

Posted May 21 2014 - 09:13 PM

Looks good to me.

Scootin' and Shootin | Ballin' and Brawlin' | Ragin' and Raidin'

Posted Image

I am Omega Null. The abyss is my home and your last frontier. Welcome to my lair and become my Prey. As I track your scent through this nether,

my mouth begins to water. Your Demise will be quick and wretched.

Enjoy your Pain and Suffering as I tear Limb from Limb. Prepare to meet your Final End.

Member of Violent Resolution

#7 ScottRidley

ScottRidley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted May 21 2014 - 09:17 PM

View PostCoboxite, on May 21 2014 - 09:09 PM, said:

Plot twist: Armored Klown is Batsheeit, man.

On topic: This looks excellent. Suggestions:
  • provide the option for user-selectable stylesheets (i.e. so clans can iframe it into their websites with minimal effort)
  • test it against the Steam overlay browser

Edited by ScottRidley, May 21 2014 - 09:22 PM.

Posted Image

#8 Aims

Aims

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted May 21 2014 - 09:19 PM

Great work as always, Ashfire.

#9 Xacius

Xacius

The Saltan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts
  • LocationOther games, waiting for dev beacon

Posted May 21 2014 - 10:05 PM

Don't insult me.
High MMR (2700+) livestream (scroll down on twitch page for in-depth bio and PC specs).   Check out my Steam Guide!

Exeon is fuzzy bunny bad.

Currently inactive.  Estimated return: TPG 2

#10 rekina

rekina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted May 21 2014 - 10:07 PM

Please reconsider allowing sorting ranking by KDA numbers. Those stats can be easily and significantly manipulated by intentionally playing on underskilled server, and allowing those stats to be sorted can encourage people to do so.

Personally nothing but mmr should be allowed to sort out in ranking system. Level is kinda pointless when you have easy level cap, sorting by playtime can also be abused by just idling forever(this only applies on the steam now I think :P ). MMR is the almost only factor that you cannot intentionally abuse too much.

Let us sort by only mmr, but just being able to see the rest of stats(KDA ratio etc) wouldn't be a problem.

Edit: Forgot to say this, the rest seem a great, great work. Thanks so much!!!!! :D

Edited by rekina, May 21 2014 - 10:19 PM.

#11 Rei

Rei

Hammertime!

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationMore like... HammeredTime

Posted May 21 2014 - 10:07 PM

View PostXacius, on May 21 2014 - 10:05 PM, said:

Don't insult me.
pretty sure it was a gracious compliment. Also I want an XBOX
!HAMMERTIME
~「TWITTER」~「STREAM」~「STREAMING GUIDE」~ Sharpshooter is fair and balanced
Posted Image

#12 ShadowWarg

ShadowWarg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts
  • LocationIn the shadows behind you

Posted May 21 2014 - 10:43 PM

And then Ashfire was offered a job at Adhesive. Looks good. You also have it so its shorted by individual game modes right_ or is that not within your ability to access_

I.E, top DM players, Top TDM players, etc

edit: Best class user maybe_

View Postrekina, on May 21 2014 - 10:07 PM, said:

Please reconsider allowing sorting ranking by KDA numbers. Those stats can be easily and significantly manipulated by intentionally playing on underskilled server, and allowing those stats to be sorted can encourage people to do so.

Personally nothing but mmr should be allowed to sort out in ranking system. Level is kinda pointless when you have easy level cap, sorting by playtime can also be abused by just idling forever(this only applies on the steam now I think :P ). MMR is the almost only factor that you cannot intentionally abuse too much.

Let us sort by only mmr, but just being able to see the rest of stats(KDA ratio etc) wouldn't be a problem.

Edit: Forgot to say this, the rest seem a great, great work. Thanks so much!!!!! :D

But MMR can also be manipulated. The ADV guys also said there is a lot more data that goes into ballancing so I'm not sure if mmr is the one important thing that it used to be.

Edited by ShadowWarg, May 21 2014 - 10:47 PM.

#13 rekina

rekina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted May 21 2014 - 10:55 PM

View PostShadowWarg, on May 21 2014 - 10:43 PM, said:

But MMR can also be manipulated. The ADV guys also said there is a lot more data that goes into ballancing so I'm not sure if mmr is the one important thing that it used to be.

My point is that we shouldn't give happiness or even encourage to those who intentionally joins lower skilled server and massacre people. That behavior shouldn't be encouraged at least and that's why there is (hidden) mmr system. Whether mmr is correct or incorrect, it is implemented in order to balance matches, so at least it is a better measurement than KDR imo. KDR does not measure anything for those who abuse it and who mains Tech etc.

#14 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,889 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted May 21 2014 - 11:24 PM

Can you please transform the time played from seconds to hours, mins, and secs_

Posted Image

#15 Houruck

Houruck

Final Siege Boss

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,190 posts
  • LocationBudapest, Hungary (UTC+2)

Posted May 21 2014 - 11:40 PM

Cool project and great job, as always.
It would be nice to separate/filter players by region. I know there are players who play on different servers.

In that case the duel he had with himself was even more impressive.

Edited by Houruck, May 22 2014 - 12:34 AM.

Knight of the Holy Tree

CRITICAL ASSIST
United in Diversity, Divided by Zero

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Spoiler

#16 Ashfire908

Ashfire908

The First Ninja

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted May 22 2014 - 12:22 AM

View Postrekina, on May 21 2014 - 10:07 PM, said:

I think I'll be removing some of the more meaningless stats and adding in more useful ones instead, and adding in ratio based stuff, like damage dealt over time. MMR is the main thing to sort by, though cross referencing other stats can be helpful. Time played is only counting when in a match playing, not just afk somewhere (maybe idling at the launch screen counts_ dunno).

And yes, level is pointless, I'll probably remove it.

View PostShadowWarg, on May 21 2014 - 10:43 PM, said:

You also have it so its shorted by individual game modes right_ or is that not within your ability to access_

I.E, top DM players, Top TDM players, etc

edit: Best class user maybe_

Sorry, I can't. I can only do it with stuff like win/loss per gametype, but not with MMR. Check the stats list link in the OP for what I can get.

View PostEliteShooter, on May 21 2014 - 11:24 PM, said:

Can you please transform the time played from seconds to hours, mins, and secs_

That is actually a bug, it will get fixed for release.

View PostHouruck, on May 21 2014 - 11:40 PM, said:

Cool project and great job, as always.
It would nice to separate players by region. I know there are players who play on different servers.

This is planned, I just forgot to say it. It's the reason I'm actually tracking matches - so I can guess your preferred region.

Edited by Ashfire908, May 22 2014 - 12:31 AM.

Developer of ScrimBot and the canceled Hawken leaderboards
Come join the Hawken IRC Channel and chat about Hawken: #hawkenscrim on irc.quakenet.net
Yes, I am a wizard - There is no cupcake conspiracy
[03:18:55 pm] <-- ^-^ (webchat@[ip removed]) has quit (Quit: Later All! Also pls ban Kindos7)

#17 Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts
  • LocationDistrict 19, Kobalt, Crion, Illal

Posted May 22 2014 - 12:30 AM

I will say this as nice as possible:

Ash, you got to be the biggest geek this community has. And we love you for it.
I`ll fix it later.

#18 XPloyt

XPloyt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted May 22 2014 - 12:33 AM

This is awesome Ashfire!

As of the recent years I've come to the realization that I'm intrigued/ take interest in analyzing statistics and seeing how it could be used dynamically to make information more presentable and easily digestable, allowing for better inferences.

I don't know what is feasible with what you're using to track stats, or what would be considered too much information to present.

I was thinking, what if there was a way to use those "kill by" stat trackers to create a player's general playstyle_ For instance, someone who gets most of their kills and deaths while in the air could have their style labeled as Kamikaze, or using a term to describe one's playstyle who gets most of their kills at critical health.

Perhaps that would be alot of work, because many different combinations could be used, it would make your head spin, but definitely allow for a creative approach to using some of the stat trackers.

Edited by XPloyt, May 22 2014 - 12:34 AM.

#19 karnak

karnak

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted May 22 2014 - 01:46 AM

I don't know about other regions, but the UK one is already filled with people that cheats the system on purpose all because of your ScrimBot MMR query system and in the current state of the game (low population) this is not good at all.

Newcomers leaves and long time players stops playing for weeks/months because the game is mostly frustrating.

I think that a healthy leader-boards system should be restarted every 3/6/12 months, so that the ones that wants the title of best player will ruin the experience of the rest of the players only for a limited amount of time (hopefully).

A system like this can also give the opportunity to break this elite circle of veterans and give the opportunity to other people to shine.

After all Usain Bolt doesn't start 20 meters in front of the others, just because his previous MMR was so big.
They all start at position 0 for every new season, right_

I hope you get what I mean and please think carefully before ruin this already small player-base.

Aside from these concerns, your work is always appreciated.

Edited by karnak, May 22 2014 - 02:12 AM.

#20 rekina

rekina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted May 22 2014 - 02:07 AM

View Postkarnak, on May 22 2014 - 01:46 AM, said:

Usain Bold

Usain Bolt is now officially bold

I think your suggestion of having 'seasonal ranking' is interesting, which is already being used on some other games(league, for example). However, in order to reset the ranking on every certain period, I'm afraid Adhesive also should implement the seasonal mmr system. Otherwise Ashfire908 has to build the system himself that resets and recalculates everything once in a while, and that doesn't even match to real mmr in-game anymore... maybe this could go too much complicated.

Also compared to League, mmr in Hawken is less affected by team's win or loss, but it's more of your personal performance. Yes, personal performance generally goes with team performance, but still sometimes you manage top on both teams in losing team, and the scrimbot would count on it. So I guess mmr in Hawken is more reliable than League's one, which means you can't really fuzzy bunny up your mmr. You will eventually end up to have the similar mmr in the end. That is, if your mmr was 1500 on this season and you can't get it higher anymore until new season begins, your mmr won't be 2200 on the next season all of a sudden. You will likely settle down in 1500 again. This makes seasonal mmr system a bit pointless.

Edited by rekina, May 22 2014 - 02:16 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users