HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

New turret mode, which is actually usable

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted June 01 2014 - 12:39 PM

View PostVan_Tuz, on June 01 2014 - 07:54 AM, said:

View PostSatelliteJack, on June 01 2014 - 07:21 AM, said:

View Postcomic_sans, on May 31 2014 - 05:05 AM, said:

I'd be behind a new C class with this abil, definitely.

And it shall be called... The Bullfrog!
It shall be called "The Bull(fuzzy bunny here)"
If it would be implemented then I'll call it the end of heavy mechs. Because there would be only light and fat light mechs in the game.

Seriously, why do you all hate the entire concept of a mech that doesn't dodge and can take more than one hit_

What would be so hard about playing it_
It'd require zero to none skill in terms of dodging.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#22 camtheking20

camtheking20

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted June 01 2014 - 01:05 PM

View PostBrycko, on June 01 2014 - 08:55 AM, said:

I can't wait for them to implement a turret mode that doesn't just put the arms in the front. I want a turret mode that applies to the side aswell.

OOH! I know! New ability could be a turret mode that has the arms reacting to whatever side the mech is taking damage from (apart from the back). Putting the arms in the direction of the fire gives a significant damage decrease, but keeps it vulnerable when multiple people are attacking from different points.

Just a thought. Revamp that turret mode!

NO

#23 BoompigXD

BoompigXD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted June 01 2014 - 02:57 PM

View PostMeraple, on May 31 2014 - 10:10 AM, said:

View PostBigLag, on May 31 2014 - 10:03 AM, said:

I'd love to see them add dodge to turret mode for manguard. With the slow walk speed I dont think it would be too OP.

Add the ability to fly and do 180's as well.

With this I'd rather call it the German Sausage Blimp

Posted Image

#24 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted June 01 2014 - 04:30 PM

ok. how about going back to the original concept where a C class mech carried around an armor shield on its shoulders, and this goofy looking stack was just exactly that: ARMOR.
if its not to be used as armor, get rid of it. its sort of like toting around a huge hood ornament, impressive, but not much else, or worse, a phony spare tire bulge on the cars rear, when the real spare is a ridiculous donut slung under the bumper...:D

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#25 Brycko

Brycko

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationA place in physical space

Posted June 02 2014 - 01:41 AM

View Postcamtheking20, on June 01 2014 - 01:05 PM, said:

I can't wait for them to implement a turret mode that doesn't just put the arms in the front. I want a turret mode that applies to the side aswell.

OOH! I know! New ability could be a turret mode that has the arms reacting to whatever side the mech is taking damage from (apart from the back). Putting the arms in the direction of the fire gives a significant damage decrease, but keeps it vulnerable when multiple people are attacking from different points.

NO

Why not_ Yeesh, I thought it was balanced. The arms don't have to react instantly.

#26 Van_Tuz

Van_Tuz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationRussian federation

Posted June 02 2014 - 03:39 AM

View PostMeraple, on June 01 2014 - 12:39 PM, said:

What would be so hard about playing it_
It'd require zero to none skill in terms of dodging.
In terms of dodging - yes. But "skill" isn't limited to dodging and shooting. "Twitch" is. Skill = Twitch + Tactics.
Playing heavy (and I mean turret mode "heavy") mech requires less of a Twitch bit much more of a Tactics. Light mechs can easily flank, engage only favourable battles and run away when needed. Heavies can't do any of it.
Existence of a heavy mech that is difficult to kill in a direct combat also improves use of Tactics by other team. They begin to flank, ambush and harras more often instead of making stupid ololo-rushes.

Making a C-class mech that dodges two times more than a light mech won't improve Tactics. It would only promote more ololo-rushes and domination by Twitch.

View PostBrycko, on June 02 2014 - 01:41 AM, said:

NO

Why not_ Yeesh, I thought it was balanced. The arms don't have to react instantly.
I agree that turret mode needs a little more protection from the sides but I don't like that idea of auto-defence.
1) It doesn't require attention from player. When flanked, damage control should be done by player's hand not by automatics.
2) When a heavy mech figting someone 1 on 1, he always faces him. So extra protection from the sides won't be needed.
3) Damage from the sides may come from exploding TOW midair. In that case arms would react and leave front side undefended in a most critical moment.

Edited by Van_Tuz, June 02 2014 - 03:47 AM.

I live only to serve

#27 camtheking20

camtheking20

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted June 02 2014 - 02:54 PM

NO

Becose hade the repetativs strane fun is hear as thay dart about u lanck granados

#28 Darktim300

Darktim300

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted June 03 2014 - 05:06 PM

All hail the turret mode master race.

#29 Brycko

Brycko

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationA place in physical space

Posted June 04 2014 - 06:45 AM

View Postcamtheking20, on June 02 2014 - 02:54 PM, said:

NO

Becose hade the repetativs strane fun is hear as thay dart about u lanck granados

Say wot again_

Also, @Van_Tuz, the idea as that the arms with the "shields" on them (preferably known as just, "the arms") is able to move around the front and the sides of the mech, blocking damage coming from that direction. It can't move on the top because that is the default position and it can't move at the back because it wouldn't appear very practical. I'll answer by question below.

1) Please rephrase the question. It's almost contradictory, so it doesn't make sense to me. However, if the shields were to be worked manually, it would be a piloting nightmare, unless you had two buttons, one for side mode and one for front mode. Otherwise, it would be a nightmare to pilot.

2) The idea is that it works in the front, but also works on the side, like a regular turret mode that can also be applied to the sides of the mech.

3) That's the idea. You are left unprotected when you are in front mode and visa-versa. That's how the mech can be defeated.

I'm trying to think of the mech this would be best on. Grenadier_ Rocketeer_ Cupcake_

#30 Koskeo

Koskeo

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted July 02 2014 - 01:13 PM

Four side shields but no ability to move_

#31 Terr_

Terr_

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted July 02 2014 - 04:29 PM

Oooh! What about a "turret" mode that still allows you to dodge, but otherwise restricts you to a small patch of territory_
  • Turret-mode activates, shield comes down in front
  • Purely for visual-effect, the mech shoots out 3-6 grappling-hooks/pitons/energy-emitters in a circle
  • The circle is maybe 3-5m in radius
  • You can use fuel to dodge sideways by "pulling" on the grapples
  • Absolutely no crazy rope-physics stuff, other mechs can walk through your circle all they want.
  • You cannot leave that circle without deactivating turret-mode
  • Turning rate is still low
  • No vertical flight

Edited by Terr_, July 02 2014 - 04:32 PM.

#32 Infyrno

Infyrno

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Locationsomewhere over the rainbow

Posted July 02 2014 - 11:39 PM

View PostVan_Tuz, on May 31 2014 - 02:51 AM, said:

View PostMeraple, on May 31 2014 - 02:40 AM, said:

View PostVan_Tuz, on May 31 2014 - 01:37 AM, said:

Do you even have a grasp about what the word "Heavy" means_

G2 Raider says hi.
G2 raider can go back to his J-pop music club. Real man listens to HEAVY METAL.
Are you hating on J-pop.._

#33 Infyrno

Infyrno

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted July 02 2014 - 11:42 PM

View PostBoompigXD, on June 01 2014 - 02:57 PM, said:

View PostMeraple, on May 31 2014 - 10:10 AM, said:

View PostBigLag, on May 31 2014 - 10:03 AM, said:

I'd love to see them add dodge to turret mode for manguard. With the slow walk speed I dont think it would be too OP.

Add the ability to fly and do 180's as well.

With this I'd rather call it the German Sausage Blimp
Jokes about german sausages are the wurst

#34 Infyrno

Infyrno

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted July 02 2014 - 11:46 PM

Maybe, make the turret transformation mode take longer, have damage reduction from all sides except the top and bottom making it very vulnerable to crush kills.  Bottom can be exposed when the mech looks up revealing the mech's... Makeshift reproductive glands  thus resulting in damage increase due to vulnerability

Edited by Infyrno, July 02 2014 - 11:46 PM.

#35 MomOw

MomOw

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted August 10 2014 - 10:11 PM

Turret modifications (for fun and profit)
Vanguard : keep it like it is (he does it like a men)
Rocketeer : change it to suppression stuff, lower cooldown, fewer hellfire per target BUT multiple targets (That's what I expect from a "rocketeer"... that or a stupid guy with an helmet and a jetpack...)
Brawler : if any mech deserved the stompa animation from the incin' it's the brawler, reomve turret and add a stompa special ability that could... dunno... do stuff... like... why not slowering targets in AOE _
Incin' : you could do great stuff with the incin' special feature and a turret mode (I know the incin' is fun as it is, but as I want the stompa animation for the brawler, the incin need other stuff :-P)

P.S.: What's worse, necro a thread or starting the same over and over again _
Posted Image

#36 Infyrno

Infyrno

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted August 10 2014 - 10:42 PM

View PostMeraple, on August 10 2014 - 10:39 PM, said:

View PostMomOw, on August 10 2014 - 10:11 PM, said:

Brawler : if any mech deserved the stompa animation from the incin' it's the brawler, reomve turret and add a stompa special ability that could... dunno... do stuff... like... why not slowering targets in AOE _

300 HP regen over 5s please.

#37 MomOw

MomOw

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted August 11 2014 - 01:48 AM

View PostInfyrno, on August 10 2014 - 10:42 PM, said:

View PostMeraple, on August 10 2014 - 10:39 PM, said:

View PostMomOw, on August 10 2014 - 10:11 PM, said:

300 HP regen over 5s please.

Huhuhu I want my brawler to look like this <3

Posted Image
Posted Image

#38 Hell_Diguner

Hell_Diguner

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted August 12 2014 - 12:13 AM

The whole point of turret mode was to sacrifice movement and gain "staying power" - that is, area denial by more health. Currently (on most C's, in most situations) turret mode doesn't improve your "staying power" better than dodging, even if there's no cover around to actually dodge behind. Isn't the obvious solution to further increase turret mode's damage resistance_ Am I missing something, or are you all seriously not seeing the elephant in the room_

#39 comic_sans

comic_sans

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationI dunno!

Posted August 12 2014 - 03:31 AM

Hell of a necro, but I reread it today and I'm still behind the idea of a boost/dodge-turret c mech, if it restricted movement to the ground.

Also, for this ability, it doesn't matter what your perception of turret mode's purpose is since this is basically just another ability idea that happens to involve the wings folding down using animations already made.  Think of it like turret mode's brother if that helps you consider the idea on its own and not as one breaking a non-existent rule.

Edited by comic_sans, August 12 2014 - 03:35 AM.

#40 MomOw

MomOw

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted August 12 2014 - 08:42 AM

View PostHell_Diguner, on August 12 2014 - 12:13 AM, said:

The whole point of turret mode was to sacrifice movement and gain "staying power" - that is, area denial by more health. Currently (on most C's, in most situations) turret mode doesn't improve your "staying power" better than dodging, even if there's no cover around to actually dodge behind. Isn't the obvious solution to further increase turret mode's damage resistance_ Am I missing something, or are you all seriously not seeing the elephant in the room_
The vanguard does it pretty good and we don't want all turret to be vanguard copycat. Every one should have it's own playstyle and that what we discuss here.

Why not dodging. But I don't want dodge to be the only answer to turret mode deficiencies. As I said before a multiple target hellfire spamming rocketeer should be great. As well as some tough stuff to the brawler (he's actually doing great with it's tons of health but i haven't seen a brawler un turret mode for a while)
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users