HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

@,'

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rusty_BallZ

Rusty_BallZ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted October 25 2012 - 08:52 AM

when i press ' or @ on hawken it comes up with a thing to type into for like 'exit' and it closes the program. so i cant type @ to login to hawken using my email

#2 F15H3R

F15H3R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted October 25 2012 - 09:06 AM

I'm confused.

So, your IN Hawken, and you press the ` button, and it brings up the console_ (the thing to type into)

So, when you're not in Hawken, and you want to log in, it doesn't let you press SHIFT+2 (@) to use your email address_

It seems to me your concern is logging into Hawken, which shouldn't have anything to do with the ' button.  I just tried SHIFT+2 in and out of game and it did nothing other than produce a @ symbol.  Yet, if you've noticed the console, it tells me your in game and typing "exit" into it is closing the program.

Trololol_

Edited by F15H3R, October 25 2012 - 09:08 AM.

Posted Image
ASUS G73 Laptop on to a 36" HDTV | Intel i7 Q720 Quad-Core CPU | ATI Mobility HD5870 GPU | 8GB RAM

#3 Taidan

Taidan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted October 25 2012 - 10:37 AM

What the hell, F15H3R_ You somehow felt you absolutely had to contribute to this thread, despite having nothing useful to actually contribute_

Yes, Rusty, I had exactly the same problem, the main Hawken program (not the launcher) was asking for an email address to log in, but I couldn't type the @ needed, as the game was reading the ', ignoring the "Shift" and opening the console. (pro-tip: On certain keyboards, the @ is typed by shift-modifying the ' key.)

The way I found to get around it was to quit out of the game and to run HawkenLauncher.exe again. The second time around, it allowed me to enter my details into a separate window outside of the game, bypassing the in-game request.

I guess that's what beta is for, huh_ ;)

#4 F15H3R

F15H3R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted October 25 2012 - 09:43 PM

What the hell, F15H3R_ You somehow felt you absolutely had to contribute to this thread, despite having nothing useful to actually contribute_

Actually, I was trying to figure out exactly what he was saying so I could make an attempt to help because as he put it, it made no sense to me.  I even attempted using SHIFT+2 and the tilde key in multiple spots of the login to see if I could reproduce the problem.  I as well have never been asked for my email and password anywhere else than on the launcher; the console isn't even possible at that point.  I think its pretty uncommon for the same program to require different log in locations.

He didn't reply with more information and instead you decided I wasn't contributing.

I've never seen a keyboard in my 14 years on computers that uses anything other than SHIFT+2 to make the @ symbol.  Maybe you can understand my confusion now.

Sorry if I offended anybody.

Edited by F15H3R, October 25 2012 - 09:44 PM.

Posted Image
ASUS G73 Laptop on to a 36" HDTV | Intel i7 Q720 Quad-Core CPU | ATI Mobility HD5870 GPU | 8GB RAM

#5 Taidan

Taidan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 02:15 AM

FYI, the keyboard in question is the standard UK layout , as seen here:

Posted Image

(Hotlinked)

The in-game login is something you can achieve by either launching the game binary directly, (For those who might have a technical problem with the launcher, or who might choose to avoid it for a faster launch) or in my case, was asked to use after the first time I changed my graphics settings.

I'm guessing that one of the options I changed triggered the game to restart, at which point it defaulted to the in-game login, which seems to be currently impossible to use with a UK keyboard.

All other functions appear to work perfectly with the UK keyboard. The main problem is that the email entry field appears not to be reading the shift modifier on the key that's also used to open the console.

On a separate subject, when I installed Hawken, the installer also failed right before adding any shortcuts. (Or maybe it doesn't add them at all, I left it unsupervised for 2 minutes, and came back to find my PC restarting.) I have no way of contributing any more information on that, unfortunately. Under that scenario it would be theoretically possible (if unlikely) for somebody to use the search function to find a way to launch the game, create a shortcut to the game binary, and as a result be totally unable to play.

On the other subject, F15H3R, there are better ways to help people who aren't particularly well-practised in recreating and reporting bugs. Just be aware that other people might not have the experience and knowledge with game systems that you have, and save the "Trololols" for those who really deserve it. ;)

Edited by Taidan, October 26 2012 - 02:19 AM.

#6 EMEUTIER

EMEUTIER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia

Posted October 26 2012 - 02:55 PM

View PostTaidan, on October 26 2012 - 02:15 AM, said:

On the other subject, F15H3R, there are better ways to help people who aren't particularly well-practised in recreating and reporting bugs. Just be aware that other people might not have the experience and knowledge with game systems that you have, and save the "Trololols" for those who really deserve it. ;)
who really deserve it. ;)

This was uncalled for and unnecessary. To me it looks like your are "Trololol"ing F15H3R. He tried his best to find out the problem and help and you acted as if he insulted the OP... what gives dude_
I had no idea what the OP was trying to say at all either FYI and would have asked the same things that F15H3R did.

Please don't accuse someone of trolling in the future.

Edited by EMEUTIER, October 26 2012 - 02:55 PM.

Posted Image

#7 f3raldutch

f3raldutch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationOz

Posted October 26 2012 - 05:20 PM

Is a known issue for UK keyboards, there are several reports of this in the Closed Beta Support section of the forums. This one has a possible temporary fix as mentioned by another forum user negating the need for the username entry into the launcher. http://community.pla...-a-uk-keyboard/

#8 Taidan

Taidan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 04:33 AM

View PostF15H3R, on October 25 2012 - 09:06 AM, said:

Trololol_

View PostEMEUTIER, on October 26 2012 - 02:55 PM, said:

This was uncalled for and unnecessary. To me it looks like your are "Trololol"ing F15H3R. He tried his best to find out the problem and help and you acted as if he insulted the OP... what gives dude_
I had no idea what the OP was trying to say at all either FYI and would have asked the same things that F15H3R did.

Please don't accuse someone of trolling in the future.

You are wrong. Re-read this thread, in it's entirety, and especially paying attention to F15H3R's reply, and take all quotes in context, especially the part I have highlighted above.

I gently berated F15H3R, because he accused the original poster of trolling, when, in fact he was trying to post a genuine bug report. What's more, he wasn't just asking for more information, he was telling the original poster that he was wrong about the bug report. This bad, because the original poster was in fact correct, and it was F15H3R that was incorrect on this issue.

And now you're complaining and accusing me of trolling, while asking that we don't accuse people of trolling, because I complained that somebody accused somebody of trolling when they were innocently and correctly reporting a bug, which is, in your own words, both uncalled for and unnecessary. Both his post and yours.

In other words, you've just told me off for telling somebody else off for something whilst doing exactly the same thing that you've accused me of. The word we use is "hypocrisy".

Well, my mind is blown.

To anticipate your next set of replies, if it follows the usual pattern of these things, you will most likely display a form of cognitive bias and try and separate these varying examples of exactly the same thing according to a set of illogical criteria that you will make up on the spot, (or just plain denial) and this simple report of a genuine bug will devolve into a ridiculous and pointless flame war that will achieve nothing except for to embarrass the both of us.

Ironically, by replying to your error and pointing this out, instead of being the bigger man and just plain ignoring you, I have put myself in exactly the position I am now unhappy about and merely am adding fuel to the situation, instead of defusing it.

The question is, can you now display the restraint that I couldn't and ignore my reply, or are we going to circle this drain of inanity for a couple of days and both make ourselves look like even bigger fools into the deal_

The anticipation is delicious,

Taidan.

Edited by Taidan, October 27 2012 - 04:42 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users