HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

A Newb's Into

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 kamakazi1995

kamakazi1995

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationBehind You!

Posted June 06 2014 - 05:36 AM

Hi I'm kamakazi and I'm terrible at intro's.

Anyways I joined hawken a few weeks ago with my brother(who you'll never see in the forums) and I've been ghosting the site ever since I got killed repeatedly by someone in a mech that wasn't the fred, at which point I decided to actually learn what each mech was and what they can do.

I've gotta say for a beta tag this game is amazing, good graphics, great gameplay, maps are a bit lacking in amount but are overall fun(aside from origin which always seems to lag at the AA, and no it's not my cpu it's my internet)

As for playstyle and mechs:
my username is quite useful at deterring cqc combat as everyone seems to think i'd rather suicide than get killed..
as for mechs I have a brawler r6(vulcan, mainly used for bot defence), assault r6(smc), bruiser r6(smc hellfire) SS r4(hawkins) and am currently working on my raider r4(reflack)

I'm looking into the pred, zerk or scout next.
(I played the pred in the test drive  and was able to adapt to the playstyle quite easily, granted at my mmr/skill level it was mainly killing anyone dumb enough to repair or travel alone)

Since I joined with another new player and not a veteran  I've had to learn the playstyle of this world on my own so I tend to act a little different than most people expect in game, I tend to avoid fair fights, loop around and shoot you in the back or when you're repairing, of course I can hold my own against "Most" players as long as it's not a AC A-class when i'm lagging.
but it'd be great to party up with some players who know what their doing for once, I'm getting tired of players shooting the aa so it'll stop firing at our ship..(shooting at the AA itself not the players inside)

oh and due to a cord issue on his my brother has claimed my nice gaming keyboard as his for hawken play so for now i'm using a 360 controller(not quite as precise but fast as hell when it comes to movement)

Suggestions from a new player: not much other than it'd be nice to be able to bring your party into explore maps, this would allow you to practice and test out mechs in a controlled combat setting while not being exploitable as you don't earn anything from explore mode.

So I guess thats about it other than needing to put "Banana" "Apple" and "FuzzyBunny" somewhere in my post(oh look it's in the post), Have fun and See you on the battlefield.

ps. I also forgot to add that i make basic signatures for forums, I'll get around to my hawken one sometime.. maybe..
I'll get around to making a signature sometime.. (basic graphics designer and HWK Newb)

#2 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted June 06 2014 - 06:13 AM

View Postkamakazi1995, on June 06 2014 - 05:36 AM, said:

Suggestions from a new player: not much other than it'd be nice to be able to bring your party into explore maps, this would allow you to practice and test out mechs in a controlled combat setting while not being exploitable as you don't earn anything from explore mode.

In that case, your computer will become a server, and some work might be necessary to make that possible. BUT, it's a great idea, I always wanted to be able to goof around with my buds in a map we chose (no XP, or stats or whatever ...).

But, most importantly, welcome!

Posted Image

#3 Wi2P

Wi2P

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Location.. Recalculating ..

Posted June 06 2014 - 07:50 AM

Welcome to Hawken! :)

#4 Ade_the_Rare

Ade_the_Rare

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted June 06 2014 - 09:14 AM

<snip>

For someone who's terrible at intro's, that's one hell of an intro!

Welcome :)

Posted Image

#5 GenAce

GenAce

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationLocating...... Target Loss

Posted June 06 2014 - 09:24 AM

Welcome to the war pilot! Just remember by using the mech you agree to the life/death policy! ;)

#6 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted June 06 2014 - 10:41 AM

welcome aboard!
For game learning, try the Clan Hall forum (link is below my sig bar). BSB, or TAW i'd recommend, either one will have folks on that get together and have tutoring on Siege servers (unlimited time, as long as you don't stack up EU) or do 1v1 for teaching kill shots, etc.

btw: i use 360joypad in left hand, aim/fire with mouse in right hand...and you're smack on about maneuvering speed!

Edited by EM1O, June 06 2014 - 11:05 AM.

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#7 kamakazi1995

kamakazi1995

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationBehind You!

Posted June 06 2014 - 04:51 PM

Thankyou all for the warm welcome,

ES: it'd have to be done as a online server due to the way the game is setup, the idea is that it'd use one of the empty servers and just load the map without the timer/objectives.
it would also need a team setting such as three teams:cent, prosk, and merc.
cent/prosk works like a reg team where the other team is red and allies are blue/green.
the merc would be everyone else is red including other mercs, this would be used for DM style testing.

GenAce:
I start laughing at the start of each match everytime that pops up.

EM10:
I looked into clans earlier taw looked nice(bsb thread was closed when the eu div left, unless there's one I missed) but before I join a clan i'd like to learn a bit more about hawken and get slightly better,I also tend to lag so I don't think i'll be doing any kind of comp play until I get better (more stable) internet.

Again thankyou all for the welcome, and I hope to someday have the honor of getting killed by you.(and possibly getting some kills myself)
I'll get around to making a signature sometime.. (basic graphics designer and HWK Newb)

#8 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted June 07 2014 - 09:44 AM

Be welcome, pilot! :)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#9 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted June 07 2014 - 11:21 AM

contact Gumby at the TAW.net site. he may be able to steer you to their Hawken battalion web-genius. they ran their "Battle of Illal" planetary conquest campaigns using three teams on a customized map early this year.

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#10 Wi2P

Wi2P

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Location.. Recalculating ..

Posted June 07 2014 - 01:26 PM

View PostEM1O, on June 07 2014 - 11:21 AM, said:

contact Gumby at the TAW.net site. he may be able to steer you to their Hawken battalion web-genius. they ran their "Battle of Illal" planetary conquest campaigns using three teams on a customized map early this year.

Say what_! That sounds epic! :D

What was it like, and is it possible to see the event now_

#11 LXM182

LXM182

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted June 10 2014 - 12:56 PM

View PostAde_the_Rare, on June 06 2014 - 09:14 AM, said:

<snip>

For someone who's terrible at intro's, that's one hell of an intro!

Welcome :)

haha, agreed...

Welcome fellow new pilot...

#12 Frisbee_Player

Frisbee_Player

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationDefinitley not wasting my time on the computer when its nice out...

Posted June 10 2014 - 01:02 PM

Welcome to the forums... having 4 rank 6 mechs makes me think you aren't quuiiittteee new to the game though :P

#13 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted June 10 2014 - 01:19 PM

Hi I'm Apples and I'm Bananas at Raspberries.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Spoiler

#14 kamakazi1995

kamakazi1995

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationBehind You!

Posted June 10 2014 - 04:21 PM

View PostFrisbee_Player, on June 10 2014 - 01:02 PM, said:

Welcome to the forums... having 4 rank 6 mechs makes me think you aren't quuiiittteee new to the game though :P
It only takes 2-3days to max out each mech...
when I posted this i'd been playing for about 2 weeks, new recruit was quite a boost as well.

in hawken it takes longer to get the hc to fully fit a mech than it does to fully max it.

also it's great to see everyone pays such close attention to posts like moreapples.

I've also played a few pub games with ES and I think I remember getting killed by grenace as well, so it's nice to see the forum people actually play the game and don't just talk about it like other forums.

also anyone else think the tech's point generation is a bit high_ when i play it 90% of the time i'm mvp with a 100-400 point lead on everyone else, and that's just me either hiding or running in circles using a sticky aim "weapon"

Edited by kamakazi1995, June 10 2014 - 04:21 PM.

#15 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationTurtles be turtlin'

Posted June 11 2014 - 05:36 AM

Welcome to the game!

#16 mmm_yep

mmm_yep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted June 11 2014 - 12:16 PM

For team practice, you could always try the team deathmatch with bots game option.

#17 kamakazi1995

kamakazi1995

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationBehind You!

Posted June 11 2014 - 04:45 PM

View Postmmm_yep, on June 11 2014 - 12:16 PM, said:

For team practice, you could always try the team deathmatch with bots game option.

You mean the gametype that always ends with 40 and less than 10_
maybe my mmr's too low but i always end up with a 10+kill streak and a one sided match..

sidenote: I just had the best hawken day ever, got a pred and I got called a cheater twice in the same day.
sadly neither was due to my aim which means it's still lacking..
(once for catching a scout on frontline: raider with a powersurge boosted blitz, and one on origin for teleporting around the map with my awesome 600ping spikes, granted it was a little hard to aim.. or even walk into the aa without falling off the side...)

but anyways it gives me such a warm feeling of success when someone calls me a [fuzzybunny] hacker.

#18 Jelooboi

Jelooboi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted June 11 2014 - 08:43 PM

Ahaha! I too also have used the username deception trick. Fatal_Damage might have intrigued the enemy a little bit so Jelooboi sounded like a good noob name to me. (It's just a nickname of my real name with "boy")

#19 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted June 11 2014 - 09:04 PM

View PostWi2P, on June 07 2014 - 01:26 PM, said:

View PostEM1O, on June 07 2014 - 11:21 AM, said:

Say what_! That sounds epic! :D

What was it like, and is it possible to see the event now_

apologies, wi2p, i missed your note here. surf to the taw.net site, or better: go to the TAW Clan Hall forum thread and post there (you'd probably get a response fairly quickly, and lots easier here as well)

Posted Image

#20 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted June 13 2014 - 01:36 PM

WELCOME FRESH MEAT- I mean... FELLOW PILOT!!!!

Lol, in all seriousness, welcome to Hawken. If you ever need help, don't hesitate to click my sig. I've got quite a few videos up that should help new players get used to the game. I'm adding more so be sure to check it out. But yeah, hope to see you on the battlefield one day!
Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users