HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

TOW rocket implies wire guided

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 FLONGA

FLONGA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted October 25 2012 - 06:09 PM

Disappointed :( would be a cool weapon to have. would be cool to have different types of rocket rounds maybe some rockets faster but less damage or more damage but slower AP HE etc

#2 Hipnox

Hipnox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted October 25 2012 - 07:58 PM

It would be nice to have a guided Missile ala HalfLife. It would be cool as a Secondary weapon with the ability to disengage the guiding system and rush forward at high speed via the middle mouse button.

#3 noten

noten

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 01:41 AM

Yea, something more like half-life's laser guided missile launcher would be nice, but personally I would still keep the manual detonation right/middle mouse button.

#4 EMEUTIER

EMEUTIER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia

Posted October 26 2012 - 02:25 AM

While looking through fuzzy images in the background of various press photos and youtube interviews I have noticed that there are a number of weapon we haven't even seen yet.
One looked like a double-barrel rocket-launcher and another a 8 barrel gun of some kind for example.

Remember this is a BETA TEST not a demo.
Posted Image

#5 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 03:02 AM

Yeah, the TOW in Hawken not being a TOW (Tube launced, Optical tracking, Wire-guided) weapon at all was raised during the Alpha; in Haken it's just a dumb-fire rocket with a remote detonate switch.  If the weapon tried to fly toward the aiming reticle then we might be just about there.

#6 FluxX

FluxX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 03:08 AM

I think they used it for a cool name. But it probably applies to "Tube launched, Optical detonated, Wire-Guided. We get the remote detonation, not the remote guidance. ;)

#7 Coot

Coot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted October 26 2012 - 04:17 AM

I'm sure its not guided for balance purposes. Games usually deviate from RL functionality in favor of balance.

If you really want something guided, there's always the Hellfire missiles.

#8 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 06:43 AM

View PostCoot, on October 26 2012 - 04:17 AM, said:

I'm sure its not guided for balance purposes. Games usually deviate from RL functionality in favor of balance.
If you really want something guided, there's always the Hellfire missiles.
Perhaps, but a real TOW missile packs a shaped charge warhead which would be almost harmless if detonated remotely, before impact.  The splash damage and 'charge' effect given to the game's HEAT Cannon is also curious given that HEAT warheads are also shaped charge devices that on impact create a single, forward moving jet of superplasticized matter that cuts through the target's armour; there is no harmful 'splash' effect involved at all, it's entirely focussed.  It's more likely that these names were chosen for their 'cool' factor rather than trying to represent what they actually mean in-game (cf. creative license); no big deal but it can get a bit odd when people who know what these terms really mean see them behave very differently/wrongly in the game itself.

Edited by defekt, October 26 2012 - 06:43 AM.

#9 Loveless

Loveless

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted October 26 2012 - 06:55 AM

View PostEMEUTIER, on October 26 2012 - 02:25 AM, said:

While looking through fuzzy images in the background of various press photos and youtube interviews I have noticed that there are a number of weapon we haven't even seen yet.
One looked like a double-barrel rocket-launcher and another a 8 barrel gun of some kind for example.

Remember this is a BETA TEST not a demo.
True, we are missing some of the weapons and that is actually a bug, judging from the responses from the staff in the topic made about it. However, I think you have it backwards. This is a beta test, which means they want us to test as much as possible. Now a demo would be more limiting in most cases.

#10 Immie

Immie

Dev Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted October 26 2012 - 06:58 AM

From my experience in the alpha, the Grenade Launcher was basically a better version of the TOW, due to the fact that it had a faster projectile and more damage. I'd be totally OK with the TOW launcher actually following the reticule after firing, kind of like Half Life's laser guided missile... except without the ability to turn around and stuff... just give it the ability to lean slightly in whatever direction you want while still accelerating forwards like normal.

Edited by Immie, October 26 2012 - 06:59 AM.

Posted Image

#11 Loveless

Loveless

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted October 26 2012 - 07:03 AM

View PostImmie, on October 26 2012 - 06:58 AM, said:

From my experience in the alpha, the Grenade Launcher was basically a better version of the TOW, due to the fact that it had a faster projectile and more damage. I'd be totally OK with the TOW launcher actually following the reticule after firing, kind of like Half Life's laser guided missile... except without the ability to turn around and stuff... just give it the ability to lean slightly in whatever direction you want while still accelerating forwards like normal.
They actually had the exact same damage, however the Grenade Launcher fired faster and had more utility. The splash of the TOW is also slightly larger than the Grenade Launcher, but it's not much.

#12 Immie

Immie

Dev Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted October 26 2012 - 07:07 AM

Actually, they had the exact same fire rate, 5 seconds, while the TOW had 225 damage and the GL had 245. According to the .ini files, this has not changed in beta.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users