HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

I'm having problems learning the predator.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 ___Geist___

___Geist___

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted July 03 2014 - 11:05 PM

Hello.
i'm sorta new to the game, however i like granadier, rockeetier, manguard, predator.

the problem is, while i'm pretty confident with the 3 behemoths, i'm struggling in predator learning.

my bigger problem is the weapon control.

even stalking an isolated target, attacking him from behind, opening with and EMP mk1 to gain more advantage, i cant stand a one by one fight. the only thing i feel confortable at is garbaging repairing mechas or finishing off someone.... when the teams are balanced or the game struggle in long distance combat only (large number of rocketeers and reapers) it became really hard to find offguard or greatly damaged people, and i become super useless.

i would like some pesky, useful tip because is probably my fault the inability to 1v1.
when i started the game i didn't figured out that rockeeter coul lock in, take cover, shoot missiles from behind wall and still killing people without taking any rick or damage, so i think i am missing some predator basic movement skill.

please help me thanks.

#2 Chocksa

Chocksa

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationDongen, The Netherlands

Posted July 04 2014 - 01:35 AM

On my predator i have EOC repeater as my primary weapon. The items i use are the mk.2 scanner and mk.2 H.E. charge.

What i usually do is first carefully select my target. I drop a scanner down near the enemy's but out of sight giving me extra situational awareness and also allerting my team mates to the enemy possitions. After i picked my target i move in for the kill, opening with a fully charged EOC repeater, an EOC P and an H.E. charge. If all hit you do enough damage to almost kill an A class.

Always make sure you have an escape route planned out. When I have to flee i usually place a few pucks around every corner. When i am out of sight i activate the stalker ability. This is not a 100% succes rate on escaping but i found it works better than just running away.

Annyway the most important thing to remember is to pick the right targets. if you do you'll be deadly, if you don't you'll be dead

#3 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted July 04 2014 - 01:43 AM

https://community.pl...predator-guide/

Posted Image

#4 ___Geist___

___Geist___

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted July 04 2014 - 01:58 AM

View PostEliteShooter, on July 04 2014 - 01:43 AM, said:

i was looking this guide, i would like eoc repeater style, but i am really bad at landing shots, or maybe i only have to accept that the only thing i can do is landing my 400/450 dmg burst then flee away_
i mean, i've seen a predator video landing mines left and right while front-fighting people, getting them.
the fight style is pretty much like the granadier mech (in wich im good), with a different arc, sticky projectiles.
it seems like poeple wont walk in the minefield ever while fighting,
i guess i fail the arc of shoot, but i have tried alot, this is so frustrating because i find predator gamestyle so exciting

#5 ___Geist___

___Geist___

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted July 04 2014 - 02:01 AM

View PostChocksa, on July 04 2014 - 01:35 AM, said:

On my predator i have EOC repeater as my primary weapon. The items i use are the mk.2 scanner and mk.2 H.E. charge.

What i usually do is first carefully select my target. I drop a scanner down near the enemy's but out of sight giving me extra situational awareness and also allerting my team mates to the enemy possitions. After i picked my target i move in for the kill, opening with a fully charged EOC repeater, an EOC P and an H.E. charge. If all hit you do enough damage to almost kill an A class.

Always make sure you have an escape route planned out. When I have to flee i usually place a few pucks around every corner. When i am out of sight i activate the stalker ability. This is not a 100% succes rate on escaping but i found it works better than just running away.

Annyway the most important thing to remember is to pick the right targets. if you do you'll be deadly, if you don't you'll be dead

let me understand, shall i hit and run bursting people with 6+2 mines in the back then hope that someone else will finish them off_
is not subpar or underpowered as mecha then_
im getting confused

#6 Chocksa

Chocksa

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationDongen, The Netherlands

Posted July 04 2014 - 02:22 AM

View Post___Geist___, on July 04 2014 - 02:01 AM, said:

let me understand, shall i hit and run bursting people with 6+2 mines in the back then hope that someone else will finish them off_
im getting confused

What i meant with picking your target is for instance, picking a B class that drops back to repair, a C class in turret mode (attack it from the back) And when you see your target gets backup you run for your pre planned escape route. My tactic  is not about hit and run, it is about alpha striking with the biggest burst i can get and only running when i see my mark getting backup. If i calculated correctly the pucks alone will do 200+ damage, add the HE charge to that and you have 300+damage as an opening strike. Worth more than the EMP opener imo.

Edited by Chocksa, July 04 2014 - 02:32 AM.

#7 ___Geist___

___Geist___

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted July 04 2014 - 02:28 AM

View PostChocksa, on July 04 2014 - 02:22 AM, said:

View Post___Geist___, on July 04 2014 - 02:01 AM, said:

im getting confused

What i meant with picking your target is for instance, picking a B class that drops back to repair, a C class in turret mode (attack it from the back) And when you see your target gets backup you run for your pre planned escape route. My tactic  is not about hit and run, it is about alpha striking with the biggest burst i can get and only running when i see my mark getting backup.

ok, this is basic.
thank you tho.

what i was talking about is something like this.
this is not the basic sneaky bursty (i call it hit and run) tactic.
he stands, using covers, flooding the terrain with landmines and GETTING KILLS.
is the getting kills part in wich i miserably fail, theu dont step on the mines and not get dmg LOL.

Edited by ___Geist___, July 04 2014 - 02:29 AM.

#8 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted July 04 2014 - 02:42 AM

Here's a video of full 10-minute EOC Repeater gameplay.
It was pretty balanced as well.
I was playing on USE though, so I had 100+ PING.
Goes to show you don't need low PING for dual EOC Predator though.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#9 T_Bird

T_Bird

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted July 04 2014 - 03:07 AM

Watch how Meraple does it and read the guide.

But just a very short summary:

#1 Alpha strike.
#2 Corner play (burst damage then dodge in to cover, repeat)

If using EOC Repeater:
#3 Aim where you think they will be next.
#4 Aim at the feet, if you miss proximity will save you.
#5 Try to be at higher ground ( or fly ) to be able to stick the mines at their feet.

If using T32:
#6 Dont

If using Breacher:
#7 Utilize the 1 sec re-fire gain when "double tap"
#8 Keep calm, make sure you will REALLY hit..I always tell my self "wait for it, wait for it, wait for it, NOW" when I use the Breacher

Edited by T_Bird, July 04 2014 - 03:08 AM.

#10 ___Geist___

___Geist___

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted July 04 2014 - 04:18 AM

View PostMeraple, on July 04 2014 - 02:42 AM, said:

it is a problem my usual ping is 100 to 160_
it seems to not be a problem with granadier and vanguard....

#11 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted July 04 2014 - 04:50 AM

View Post___Geist___, on July 04 2014 - 04:18 AM, said:

View PostMeraple, on July 04 2014 - 02:42 AM, said:

it is a problem my usual ping is 100 to 160_
it seems to not be a problem with granadier and vanguard....

My PING in that video is about ~240 after looking at it.
I did pretty well with that PING, you should be able to do so as well with some practice.

Just read T_Bird's post, it sums it up pretty well.

View PostT_Bird, on July 04 2014 - 03:07 AM, said:

If using EOC Repeater:

The following, however, is a really bad move:

( fly ) to be able to stick the mines at their feet.

If you fly the enemy will know where you are.
It's why I never flew in corner play in that video.

Sure, flying makes it easier to hit, but with some practice you don't need to fly in order to hit their feet.

Edited by Meraple, July 04 2014 - 04:51 AM.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#12 Barbie_in_a_Mech

Barbie_in_a_Mech

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationHidden in your bedroom, gathering intel for your sister.

Posted July 04 2014 - 03:16 PM

Maybe the "basic movement skill" you are missing is manually detonating your mines.
If you just keep shooting mines and never detonate manually, it's rare that the enemy will walk close enough to make them explode, and if you shoot close to their feet, it won't detonate either.

I never understood the importance and effectiveness of that until I saw it in predator videos where they always middle click to detonate after their failed shots.  It makes it so much easier to win your fights...

Also if the enemy team is mostly B and C mechs, the EOC is awesome because it becomes easier to use and deals great damage.
If the enemy team is mostly A mechs that just air dodge 24/7, I sometimes use the breacher, because it's easier to use against the flying fuzzy bunny.

Keep in mind that the predator is very hard to use.  It was my first mech and I was doing okay, but when I switched to something else, my rank went up extremely fast.

Edited by Barbie_in_a_Mech, July 04 2014 - 03:19 PM.

Posted Image

#13 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted July 05 2014 - 06:35 AM

Read the Guide it will help you with every aspect of predator imaginable. The weapons themselves if you aren't hitting your mark, I suggest you do some 1v1's with a mate or practice till your mouse breaks.

Edited by Lightangel112, July 05 2014 - 06:36 AM.

View PostMeraple, on June 01 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

If you want to be a Professional Yolodriver just go with DETs and the rest EMPs.

#14 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts
  • LocationCanterstomp, Mechquestria

Posted July 05 2014 - 11:08 AM

When initiating a fight, make sure you have the advantage. Follow your prey for a few seconds, make sure he's alone, plan an escape route, open fire when your enemy is in a bad spot, such as when he is beside a wall or boosting.

Aspiring Professional Yolodriver

View PostAmidatelion, on May 24 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

View Postcomic_sans, on October 31 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

SS, you wanna fight me_  I'm druuuuuunk_____ You could maybe win_!!

#15 Cloaked_Hunter

Cloaked_Hunter

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted July 06 2014 - 02:49 AM

If I'm having problems learning how to use Predator, I will ask you guys :)

#16 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationTurtles be turtlin'

Posted July 06 2014 - 05:01 AM

Watch how Meraple does it and read the guide.

But just a very short summary:

#1 Alpha strike.
#2 Corner play (burst damage then dodge in to cover, repeat)

If using EOC Repeater:
#5 Try to be at higher ground ( or fly ) to be able to stick the mines at their feet.

If using T32:
#6 Dont

If using Breacher:
#7 Utilize the 1 sec re-fire gain when "double tap"
#8 Keep calm, make sure you will REALLY hit..I always tell my self "wait for it, wait for it, wait for it, NOW" when I use the Breacher

Another tip:  Pick your battles.  Don't try to take on 2v1 fights unless you know what you're doing.

#17 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted July 08 2014 - 01:45 AM

I've also got a video, showing the predator. Click my sig for my guide book and look in the predator section for the video. Might be stuff you already know, but you may learn something. And definitely give Meraple and Lightangel's guide a read. That alone was able to teach me to play my predator with some leathal force.

Edited by SoldierHobbes11, July 08 2014 - 01:47 AM.

Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

#18 Hell_Diguner

Hell_Diguner

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted July 09 2014 - 08:22 PM

Just... don't get into fair 1v1 fights, even if you have the element of surprise. Wait for or even lure him to teammates. Cover is your best friend. Your visual cloaking might suck but you're the only one who can see through walls perfectly. Next time you're forced into direct combat, stick to cover. Walk backwards, placing cover between you and him while laying mines.

When you can stay out of "fair" combat, lay mine fields (spread out; area denial) or mine traps (clustered together and hidden) where you think people will go and don't miss your charged breacher shots. Retreating to teammates or to your minefield/minetrap is a perfectly valid tactic.

Eventually you'll get used to how EOC-Pred mines fly, and you'll be able to land them ON your enemies rather than needing to stick them to a surface.

http://www.twitch.tv...acius/c/4267391

#19 craftydus

craftydus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationIn The Uterus of Love

Posted July 11 2014 - 05:50 AM

My advice on understanding the predator is simple.

Take a week to just walk around cloaked and observe.

On the Day Eight try to to get a kill by making an eoc puck trap.
Spend the next three days trying to get kills only by making eoc puck traps.

After this period is over spend every other day only using your primary weapon in fights.
Breacher, t-32, eoc, primary only

After a month of this name you predator "Candace" and play only straight up death matches.

The following month  return to this thread and declare that you are #1 Pred:World

related gif

Posted Image

#20 Barbie_in_a_Mech

Barbie_in_a_Mech

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationHidden in your bedroom, gathering intel for your sister.

Posted July 11 2014 - 07:44 AM

It also helps if you had good grades in high school and have some connections in the right places. People tend to underestimate the rigorous work and painful sacrifices required to become a recognized predator pilot.  An extra week should be dedicated to learning how breacher nails penetrate through shields and barriers.  The science is hard to grasp, but its secrets are worth it.

Edited by Barbie_in_a_Mech, July 11 2014 - 07:46 AM.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users