HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Can everyone give me input on a mech to practice_

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Blasterhawk

Blasterhawk

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted July 11 2014 - 11:10 AM

Hi all,

Just getting back into the game after about 8 months. The disappearance of the tuning tree is a surprisingly nice redux of customizing the mech; makes things simpler.

Anyhow, I've been really indecisive about choosing a mech to have fun with. I keep switching mechs around hoping I can just hop into something and enjoy it. However, that doesn't seem to be the case. The mechs that I used to dominate with have either been balanced (Bruiser, last time I played a lot of people were claiming it was OP) or I simply can't keep up with the pace of the game with that playstyle.

The mechs I've had a lot of fun with in the past include the Reaper, Bruiser, Sharpshooter, Vanguard, and... that's pretty much it. I like skirmishing and pushing. Reaper is a lot of fun when skirmishing, but I can't duel worth fuzzy bunny with the thing. Bruiser seems outdated and outclassed in a lot of ways since everyone knows how to dodge the hellfire missiles now, at least at my hidden mmr.
The Beserker and Assault both seem like good mechs to start off with, maybe even going to the Brawler for the SA Hawkins. It seems I can't decide which I want to spend time on, though.

If you guys could give me pointers, etc, shoot. I'm not gonna disregard anything, as long as it makes common sense. If you wanna probe for questions, shoot those off as well, I won't bite. :)

Thanks in advance!

#2 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationEmpire of the Sun

Posted July 11 2014 - 11:27 AM

Since you mentioned Zerker or Assault, I recommend the Zerker for is faster speed and its Special.  Pop your Special in a Zerker and watch as the enemy HP just melt away.

If you prefer more HP and don't mind moving a little slower then go with the Assault Mech.

If you want a totally different experience then go with the Infiltrator and start learning to lob the grenades.

#3 Neverm0re

Neverm0re

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted July 11 2014 - 10:15 PM

As far as your mention of the bruiser goes, the point of hellfires isn't strictly to get damage (although that is definitely a plus), but to send the target scurrying for cover and giving your teammates a chance to push. Not sure how you remember things, but bruiser is a support mech first and foremost.

Personally, given your experience with B-classes and your penchant for pushes, I would go with assault. Also, give the raider a go, because it can be SUPER fun.

Edited by Neverm0re, July 11 2014 - 10:16 PM.

Posted Image

#4 Odinous

Odinous

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAthens,Greece

Posted July 12 2014 - 02:52 AM

u  mentioned a vanguard_i would suggest it cause of the armor pool!and ofc its quuite deadly.assault on the other hand is a good choise too.

#5 Blasterhawk

Blasterhawk

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted July 12 2014 - 11:03 AM

View PostBurnsHot, on July 11 2014 - 11:27 AM, said:

Since you mentioned Zerker or Assault, I recommend the Zerker for is faster speed and its Special.  Pop your Special in a Zerker and watch as the enemy HP just melt away.

If you prefer more HP and don't mind moving a little slower then go with the Assault Mech.

If you want a totally different experience then go with the Infiltrator and start learning to lob the grenades.

I'll definitely have to try the Infiltrator while I grind some more creds from using other mechs. I've seen it do a lot of damage in Seige as well as TDM. Looks like a lot of fun. I'll keep the Zerk in mind as well.

View PostNeverm0re, on July 11 2014 - 10:15 PM, said:

As far as your mention of the bruiser goes, the point of hellfires isn't strictly to get damage (although that is definitely a plus), but to send the target scurrying for cover and giving your teammates a chance to push. Not sure how you remember things, but bruiser is a support mech first and foremost.

Personally, given your experience with B-classes and your penchant for pushes, I would go with assault. Also, give the raider a go, because it can be SUPER fun.
Good point, I never thought about it that way. I got used to using the Bruiser for dominating mid-range fights from opponents who didn't dodge the homing. I also ran into another Bruiser today that would lock on and then wait for me to dodge before firing. You're completely right on the mind-game aspect of Hellfire rockets.

I've given the Raider a go recently and once before in the past, got it up to rank 3 I believe. It is super fun, but I'm super bad at piloting it lol. I think I'll give the Assault practice until I beef up my mechanics to use the Raider. It feels really difficult to use, maybe I'm playing it wrong. (Evasive device with power surger for race car feelz ftw)
I've had notions that I might just be better off once I unlock the EOC repeater. Harass and poke games are more of my kinda style, then charging in and finishing off.

View PostOdinous, on July 12 2014 - 02:52 AM, said:

u  mentioned a vanguard_i would suggest it cause of the armor pool!and ofc its quuite deadly.assault on the other hand is a good choise too.

Yeah, been using the Vanguard a lot lately, best consistent mech so far. =D

Thanks all.

#6 SatelliteJack

SatelliteJack

Spaceman

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationDropped on Illal

Posted July 12 2014 - 03:00 PM

Have you considered the Incinerator_

Posted Image

To be chill, drink warm tea. You paradoxical madman. -TwentyFirstPilot

#7 JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • LocationMO

Posted July 13 2014 - 12:09 AM

AR or SMC Assault/Flak Brawler/PPA Incin/SMC or Miniflak Vanguard/Vulcan (or Rev-GL if you want to learn how to aim it) Gren are your best options if you want a mech that can push hard. In terms of strength in the current meta, imo it's:

1. Incin (by a good margin; it's broken as all fuzzy bunny right now with PPA)
2. Brawler
3. Vanguard/Assault/Gren

View PostBlasterhawk, on July 12 2014 - 11:03 AM, said:

I've given the Raider a go recently and once before in the past, got it up to rank 3 I believe. It is super fun, but I'm super bad at piloting it lol. I think I'll give the Assault practice until I beef up my mechanics to use the Raider. It feels really difficult to use, maybe I'm playing it wrong. (Evasive device with power surger for race car feelz ftw)
I've had notions that I might just be better off once I unlock the EOC repeater. Harass and poke games are more of my kinda style, then charging in and finishing off.

Thanks all.

Raider (especially EOC Raider) isn't great right now. If you're wanting to play a B-class, stick with Assault, mostly because the TOW is far more versatile than the Corsair. Also, those internals are a waste of slots and you shouldn't use them.

If you want to play the poke game well, use HEAT/EOC Infil or HEAT Scout. Bear in mind that ever since the Steam patch, you can't mess up often in A-classes or you will constantly die. Also, Air Compressor is pretty much mandatory for both of those mechs with the TTK as low as it currently is.

View PostBlasterhawk, on July 11 2014 - 11:10 AM, said:

...at least at my hidden mmr.

Add "Scrimbot" (without quotes) to your friend list and send it "mmr". You can also use "srd" to view information about the server you're in.

Edited by JeffMagnum, July 13 2014 - 04:03 AM.

#8 Blasterhawk

Blasterhawk

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted July 17 2014 - 03:26 PM

View PostSatelliteJack, on July 12 2014 - 03:00 PM, said:

Have you considered the Incinerator_

I'm actually looking at it quite a bit, (sorry for the late reply, work wore me out this past week) it looks like a lot of fun. The heat generation and the AoE attacks look pretty cool.

View PostJeffMagnum, on July 13 2014 - 12:09 AM, said:

AR or SMC Assault/Flak Brawler/PPA Incin/SMC or Miniflak Vanguard/Vulcan (or Rev-GL if you want to learn how to aim it) Gren are your best options if you want a mech that can push hard. In terms of strength in the current meta, imo it's:

1. Incin (by a good margin; it's broken as all fuzzy bunny right now with PPA)
2. Brawler
3. Vanguard/Assault/Gren

View PostBlasterhawk, on July 12 2014 - 11:03 AM, said:

Thanks all.

Raider (especially EOC Raider) isn't great right now. If you're wanting to play a B-class, stick with Assault, mostly because the TOW is far more versatile than the Corsair. Also, those internals are a waste of slots and you shouldn't use them.

If you want to play the poke game well, use HEAT/EOC Infil or HEAT Scout. Bear in mind that ever since the Steam patch, you can't mess up often in A-classes or you will constantly die. Also, Air Compressor is pretty much mandatory for both of those mechs with the TTK as low as it currently is.

View PostBlasterhawk, on July 11 2014 - 11:10 AM, said:

...at least at my hidden mmr.

Add "Scrimbot" (without quotes) to your friend list and send it "mmr". You can also use "srd" to view information about the server you're in.

Ok, that's cool to keep in mind. Thanks for the input! (And for Scrimbot, sweet deal yo.) I'll have to give Brawler and Gren both solid tries then, I'm really liking Vulcan Vanguard. Looks like Incin is gonna be a solid option too.

On a side note, what are the general mmr ratings_ I have no idea about comparisons. I've just been playing for kicks with the Vanguard.

#9 ThirdEyE

ThirdEyE

Moderator 007

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted July 17 2014 - 04:00 PM

View PostBlasterhawk, on July 17 2014 - 03:26 PM, said:

On a side note, what are the general mmr ratings_ I have no idea about comparisons. I've just been playing for kicks with the Vanguard.

<1200 - Poor
1500 - Average
1800 - Above average
2000 - Good
2200 - Very good
2400 - Top tier
>2600 - MMR  farmin'
Posted Image

Offering coaching on all mechs, maps, and gametypes, PM if interested.

Violent Resolution - http://vr-gaming.org/

Hawken IRC - #hawkenscrim

#10 m0bieduck

m0bieduck

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted July 17 2014 - 04:33 PM

Yay that means I am very good, climbing towards 2300 also for a mech to play, pred ftw. It trains your aim to perfection and teaches you about positioning

#11 mmm_yep

mmm_yep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted July 17 2014 - 05:29 PM

...removed...

Edited by mmm_yep, July 17 2014 - 05:32 PM.

#12 RumbleBall

RumbleBall

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted July 17 2014 - 07:02 PM

View Postm0bieduck, on July 17 2014 - 04:33 PM, said:

Yay that means I am very good, climbing towards 2300 also for a mech to play, pred ftw. It trains your aim to perfection and teaches you about positioning

Second this. Pred and brawler teaches you patience and trains your aiming both with hitscan and leading secondaries.

#13 Hell_Diguner

Hell_Diguner

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted July 19 2014 - 12:13 AM

Go buy the Incinerator and unlock the PPA before they re-balance it.

#14 DaPheel

DaPheel

EXPLOSIONS_

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
  • LocationU.K.

Posted July 19 2014 - 08:03 AM

GRENADIER, BECAUSE : EXPLOSIONS!

Real men stand in the rain, and pilot a C-class.....
Posted Image"OFFICIAL SHIELD BEARER"
Spoiler

#15 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted July 19 2014 - 08:22 AM

Incinerator, because:
Let's TURN UP THE HEAT!

Real men rain down fire, and pilot a walking BBQ..

Edited by Meraple, July 19 2014 - 08:22 AM.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#16 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted July 23 2014 - 09:52 PM

If you're having a hard time, just stick with the assault. Since you seem to like being on the front lines, good mechs for you would be The Assault/CR-T, G2 Assault, Vangaurd, Berserker or the Incinerator. Also, if you want to find out more about the mechs before you buy, just click my sig and I've got videos for all the mechs in there.
Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

#17 mittens800

mittens800

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted July 24 2014 - 09:11 AM

I hated incinerator when I first got it.
But it's a beast with PPA.  Of course when you first learn it you will OH every time...

Splash on SAARE is ridiculous.  The amount of DPS noms you can put out... jeez.
A lot of people try to keep a rhythm with it. Like taka taka boom taka taka taka boom.
However, in battle I've found it's useful to just go full bore on both weps, then fire off 2 or 3 saare's in a row to clear off some heat.
This keeps maximum dps going and you don't have to worry about rhythm or eagle eyeing the heat bar as much.

I still have problems hitting air targets with SAARE because my aim isn't that great :(

#18 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • LocationCanterstomp, Mechquestria

Posted August 04 2014 - 04:33 PM

If you wish to play something weird that requires you to rethink piloting, try the Predator.

Aspiring Professional Yolodriver

View PostAmidatelion, on May 24 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

View Postcomic_sans, on October 31 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

SS, you wanna fight me_  I'm druuuuuunk_____ You could maybe win_!!

#19 Alpha86

Alpha86

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted August 08 2014 - 04:53 PM

^agreed with above. Predator will change the way you play, but for the better IMO

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users