HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Does the Vanguard scare people_ Is it OP_

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 MechFighter5e3bf9

MechFighter5e3bf9

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted August 05 2014 - 06:38 PM

View PostAmidatelion, on August 03 2014 - 01:39 AM, said:

View PostBehemoth66, on August 02 2014 - 05:43 PM, said:

let me start off by saying that I'm a Vanguard pilot. I played a few matches with the Infiltrator, and had a bit of trouble since I don't use light mechs very often. Then in the middle of a particularly intense TDM I switched back to my Vanguard and noticed something very odd. People started flinging around equipment like they had to pay for any extras they brought back where they hadn't before. It wasn't something I'd ever noticed before, but they were throwing everything they had at me specifically. Looking back, this has been happening ever since I started playing with the Vanguard.

So I have to ask, does the Vanguard scare people_ It seems like if you see two mechs next to one another and one is a Vanguard, people see the Vanguard as the bigger threat no matter what the other mech is.

Let's look at some cold hard facts about the Vanguard:
Un-deployed, It has the highest speed of any C-class and can keep up with B-class mechs.

It has the fastest turret mode of any C-class

Deployed and from the front its health is 1,096. It's closest competitor is the Brawler at 800 health.

From the back its health is 548
So, a second question I have to ask: is the Vanguard OP_

1v1, I can take on almost any other mech and consistently win the skirmish. Deployed I can take on three or four enemies and consistently come out on top if I don't kill them all. You may argue that you can boost around and shoot me in the back while I'm deployed and beat me right_ Again, 1v1 this doesn't end well for you. Even deployed I can still turn fast enough to counter a Scout trying to hover over my head. I don't know exactly why, but I don't see people trying to boost along the ground to shoot me in the back despite being faster than flying.
So please, tell me: Do you think the Vanguard should be nerfed_

It's a threat, certainly, but not what people would really consider OP. It sounds like the enemy team (and other players at your MMR) are making the mistake of focusing you. Undeployed, you can get killed just like anyone else. Deployed, their best bet is to ignore you, kill your team, and then mop you up. As fast as you can go, you still lack the mobility of an undeployed mech. Vanguard goes into turret mode_ Ignore it and go kill something else far away from it. This forces it out of turret mode, and suddenly its much easier to kill.

Quite frankly, if you're going into 3v1 situations and coming out on top, the people you're playing against aren't very good or aren't very bright.

In fact, I hate to say it but it sounds like that's the central issue here: unskilled players. If a scout can't get behind you, you're not playing very good scouts. Also, it appears no one has hit you with a grenade lobbed or bounce to hit behind you. Positing it as a 1v1 situation creates an artificial imbalance in favour of the Vanguard, because there is almost no time when you are going to be in that situation, in TDM or DM.

It's like the opposite of Scout complaints. It's real easy to kill a Scout: learn to aim. It's real easy to kill a Vanguard: learn to tactics.

tactics is bout the only way when van is turreted (with smg for me)  popping medpacks etc, also with high dpi mouse turning the thing is not so difficult so i wouldnt alwase solo one thinkin you can run around it
i don't mean any of it

#22 ev0l

ev0l

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted August 08 2014 - 01:44 PM

I never bother to turret with it. Like others have stated, the Vanguard advantage is it's mobility, you cant use it in turret mode. As long as you're worth a damn with the nade launcher you can pretty much stand against anything. B class speed C class armor. You can usually outlast your opponent. On occasion I go double or triple kills with it back to back. It's also the only mech I have ever got a SUPER! Kill or whatever.

couple things I have noticed. in a C class techs tend to follow you, and I avoid fighting long range mechs with it.

I'm 2100~ish mmr so it may differ in higher and lower rankings.

#23 MechFighter5e3bf9

MechFighter5e3bf9

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted August 09 2014 - 08:27 AM

View Postev0l, on August 08 2014 - 01:44 PM, said:

I never bother to turret with it. Like others have stated, the Vanguard advantage is it's mobility, you cant use it in turret mode. As long as you're worth a damn with the nade launcher you can pretty much stand against anything. B class speed C class armor. You can usually outlast your opponent. On occasion I go double or triple kills with it back to back. It's also the only mech I have ever got a SUPER! Kill or whatever.

couple things I have noticed. in a C class techs tend to follow you, and I avoid fighting long range mechs with it.

I'm 2100~ish mmr so it may differ in higher and lower rankings.

but it tricks so many people, they run at you straight on and end up with that expression "woah oh fuzzy bunny.." when your hp isnt goin down and their inside a fulmination chamber like situation
i don't mean any of it

#24 ZeroSteelfist

ZeroSteelfist

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted September 10 2014 - 08:24 PM

I have not played as Vanguard but coming up against one in Assault 1v1 I find it a challenge to take down a reasonably skilled pilot. Particularly in objective holds where the Vanguard can cover its flanks with structures or a partner mech. I actually came here looking for infor on taking down Vanguards because a pair of them was beating my team pretty badly in siege earlier. We just could not uproot them and have enough armor left to clean out the light and medium mechs remaining. I think it was due to a bad approach on our part.

#25 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted September 10 2014 - 10:56 PM

Got into a TDM on Facility one night. I was Van, enemy had one Van on the team. He tore a few of us up, and I tore a few of them up. But every few kills we'd run into each other, usually as the only 2 left alive in a duke nuke, and it was like 2 beast-sized Berzerkers running and flying all over each other. And Vanguard is TDM flying death for any "Pit" divers in Origin, and it runs back up ramps purty fass, too.
Vanguard is the finest Flying Fat Man out there. It's the only C-frame I have AC installed in. ;)
Leave it alone.

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users