HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Incin - Why would I ever have the secondary be in the lower damage/heat dispersion mode_

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationWest Coast Best Coast

Posted August 05 2014 - 07:01 PM

It seems easy enough to build heat with the normal primary to leave the secondary in the alternate mode all the time.
Signing on the dotted line

#2 ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted August 05 2014 - 07:25 PM

It depends on the weapon you are using. If you are using the BBY as your primary, you won't be able to spam your alt fire SAARE, and thus will actually get lower DPS- but higher splash.

Now, if you're using the PPA, it's actually pretty firmly agreed upon that you never use the primary mode of your SAARE. It needs a change as the PPA is a strict upgrade from the BBY.

MMA can be used very effectively if you are able to switch between your alt and primary SAARE fire between shots very quickly-will alow for maximum dps.
Posted Image

#3 Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSic Transit

Posted August 05 2014 - 09:17 PM

With the BBY the primary SAARE gives better sustained damage. So long as you can hit things with it. Kind of strange to think of the fireballs as sustained damage, but that's the most effective way of making sense of it.

#4 Infyrno

Infyrno

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Locationsomewhere over the rainbow

Posted August 05 2014 - 10:46 PM

View Postticklemyiguana, on August 05 2014 - 07:25 PM, said:

It depends on the weapon you are using. If you are using the BBY as your primary, you won't be able to spam your alt fire SAARE, and thus will actually get lower DPS- but higher splash.

Now, if you're using the PPA, it's actually pretty firmly agreed upon that you never use the primary mode of your SAARE. It needs a change as the PPA is a strict upgrade from the BBY.

MMA can be used very effectively if you are able to switch between your alt and primary SAARE fire between shots very quickly-will alow for maximum dps.
Couldn't have said it better.  One thing, if you use the PPA, BE WARNED! It is much harder to use than the bby, or the mama.  But it is also one of the highest dps combos in the game (i use it)

#5 shosca

shosca

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted August 06 2014 - 05:00 AM

Is it really that hard to use PPA_ All you have to do is get a good rhythm going and sometimes throw an extra ball of fire or two when the lady says you're overheating.

#6 Silk_Sk

Silk_Sk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted August 06 2014 - 07:47 AM

View Postshosca, on August 06 2014 - 05:00 AM, said:

Is it really that hard to use PPA_ All you have to do is get a good rhythm going and sometimes throw an extra ball of fire or two when the lady says you're overheating.

That's not how you do it at all. There are no "Extra balls of fire." You shoot them out constantly or you overheat period. When she says you are overheating, you STOP SHOOTING THE PPA. Even with sustained fire of the charged SAARE, the PPA will outpace it.

Edited by Silk_Sk, August 06 2014 - 07:48 AM.

Posted Image

#7 ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted August 06 2014 - 08:35 AM

View PostSilk_Sk, on August 06 2014 - 07:47 AM, said:

That's not how you do it at all. There are no "Extra balls of fire." You shoot them out constantly or you overheat period. When she says you are overheating, you STOP SHOOTING THE PPA. Even with sustained fire of the charged SAARE, the PPA will outpace it.
...that's exactly what he was saying.

Edited by ticklemyiguana, August 06 2014 - 09:25 AM.

Posted Image

#8 Silk_Sk

Silk_Sk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted August 06 2014 - 10:09 AM

View Postticklemyiguana, on August 06 2014 - 08:35 AM, said:

What he's saying sounds like he's not already firing the SAARE constantly. He didn't say anything about stopping the PPA.
Posted Image

#9 ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted August 06 2014 - 10:13 AM

View PostSilk_Sk, on August 06 2014 - 10:09 AM, said:

What he's saying sounds like he's not already firing the SAARE constantly. He didn't say anything about stopping the PPA.
nnnnnope. He's saying get a good rhythm with the PPA so you can keep shooting the SAARE, and when you mess up that rhythm by holding it down too long, shoot out an extra SAARe shot or two before continuing with the PPA.

Edited by ticklemyiguana, August 06 2014 - 10:14 AM.

Posted Image

#10 Silk_Sk

Silk_Sk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted August 06 2014 - 10:36 AM

View Postticklemyiguana, on August 06 2014 - 10:13 AM, said:

nnnnnope. He's saying get a good rhythm with the PPA so you can keep shooting the SAARE, and when you mess up that rhythm by holding it down too long, shoot out an extra SAARe shot or two before continuing with the PPA.
Okay, so he's just not explaining it too well. That makes it sound more complicated than it actually is. Thinking too much is what makes you overheat. Don't even think about the SAARE, just keep shooting it non-stop. If you are about to overheat, stop shooting the PPA for a second, then continue, simple as that.
Posted Image

#11 caduceus26

caduceus26

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted August 06 2014 - 12:51 PM

View Postticklemyiguana, on August 06 2014 - 10:13 AM, said:

One explanation provided a bit more clarity but I understood both.  It took me a bit of working with the PPA to get the rhythm but that is exactly how to be effective with it.

Edit:  However, I still occasionally get the fumble fingers and end up overheating--but not nearly as much as in the beginning.

Edited by caduceus26, August 06 2014 - 12:54 PM.

ASUS P9X79LE /i7-3820 3.6 (OC 4.7) /Corsair H80 Liquid CPU Cooling /16 Gb RAM /Dual-SLI EVGA 670 2 Gb Sig II /Antec 850 PSU /Antec 1200 Black Steel Tower
MaddMaxx (Zerker) / Silent Knight (Infil) / BurnYa (Scout) / Scythe (Reaper) / S0ckd0lag3r (Aslt) / PopOff (SS) / Bluto (Bruiser) / xXRoadRageXx (CR-T) / ShiftySwifty (Raider+G2) / PatchUp (Tech) / Krusher (Brawler) / Seekin' Ya'! (Rocketeer) / Doughboy (Vngrd) / FireFly (Incin)

#12 Terr_

Terr_

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted August 06 2014 - 02:22 PM

One problem with the PPA is that it's heat-gain mechanism isn't synchronized to actual bullets. You can gain heat without actually firing in some cases.

#13 crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted August 06 2014 - 07:58 PM

Interesting. I've been using BBY with the secondary in its secondary mode, but since I'm firing the secondary less frequently I try and land more of my shots. I guess a lot of the time I'm also near other mechs for added heat generation though

#14 ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted August 06 2014 - 08:23 PM

Yup. Get the PPA.
Posted Image

#15 Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSic Transit

Posted August 06 2014 - 09:42 PM

View Postcrockrocket, on August 06 2014 - 07:58 PM, said:

Interesting. I've been using BBY with the secondary in its secondary mode, but since I'm firing the secondary less frequently I try and land more of my shots. I guess a lot of the time I'm also near other mechs for added heat generation though

If you're running the BBY, you should pretty much always be in the front lines and spamming SAARE primary. This lets you

Never.

Stop.

Shooting.

EVER.

The PPA and MMA have their uses and purely in terms of damage the PPA wins, but for sustained teamplay, I feel like BBY+SAARE1 is a train with no brakes.

Chooo chooooooooooo~!

#16 Ikuinen_Lynx

Ikuinen_Lynx

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted August 06 2014 - 11:48 PM

Mama is also a train without breaks but with the secondary mode on.  Only thing is ofcourse, the limited range and no hitscan. Not as ideal for sustained teamplay. Good luck learning how to deal with flyers with the mama loadout, it takes more practice and a good deal more skill landing curving shots on those pests. But its nice in that you can align your saare and mama fireballs/bullets and rain mortar AOE death on those in your range and those getting in your face. I mainly stick with mama, especially in last eco siege (for some reason people like to stack together on the pyramid, triple kills ahoy). But hawken is all about adapting, so if Mama isn't ideal for your present situation, switch to Baby when you die and get that sustained hitscan on (especially on flying pests). Papa is great if you learn how to keep the rhythm going automaticly mid-battle while keeping your eye on what needs to be done. Which takes time and practice.

Edited by Ikuinen_Lynx, August 06 2014 - 11:58 PM.

Posted Image

#17 crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted August 11 2014 - 01:23 AM

Ranked it up enough to buy the PPA.... Now let's see what happens!

#18 crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted August 11 2014 - 03:10 AM

Holy fuzzy bunny how do I get the PPA rhythm down. Wowza

#19 mmm_yep

mmm_yep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted August 11 2014 - 12:55 PM

View Postcrockrocket, on August 11 2014 - 03:10 AM, said:

Holy fuzzy bunny how do I get the PPA rhythm down. Wowza
Haha, that's exactly the reaction I was expecting!
http://community.pla...o-you-use-this/

#20 Onstrava

Onstrava

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationThe Abyss.

Posted August 11 2014 - 09:38 PM

It's just to give you more options, if they hadn't put the option to shoot the smaller fire balls, someone out there would have complained about not being able to fire with the little heat you generate over time before your gatling gun revs up.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users