HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

How to stop death balls - Bring back the old TOW and Grenade Launcher.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 HugeGuts

HugeGuts

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted August 10 2014 - 04:42 AM

A simple way to fix some complaints about death balling. Bring back the early beta TOW and Grenade Launcher - Higher cool down, higher damage, bigger AOE. They flushed out entrenched campers, separated grouped up players, and promoted aggressive game play. Their only problems were no damage feathering, and stun locking. However, those problems no longer exist.

#2 RozerMahbub_

RozerMahbub_

fishy scout

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • LocationTorino,To-10125 ,italy

Posted August 10 2014 - 05:01 AM

Posted Image

I DON'T CARE

i want to tell you a true story , once upon a time everyone was a perfect pure NOOB ^_^

#3 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted August 10 2014 - 05:22 AM

No need, those two weapons are balanced as they are right now.

Posted Image

#4 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted August 10 2014 - 05:42 AM

View PostEliteShooter, on August 10 2014 - 05:22 AM, said:

No need, those two weapons are balanced as they are right now.
yup. the linked prerequisites for "going back" would require the whole weapons, items, and internals to be balanced along with armor/hp.
not gonna happen, and you know that. Ascension was the death knell for everything prior to it.

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#5 Onstrava

Onstrava

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationThe Abyss.

Posted August 10 2014 - 05:55 AM

You can 1 shot people in the infiltrator already with an item and heat cannon, adding more damage wont do anything but cause more problems. Last thing I want to see is the heavy C types getting there health raised to 1200hp. Good for them, bad for me.

Posted Image

#6 deidarall

deidarall

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted August 10 2014 - 06:09 AM

You can 1 shot people in the infiltrator already with an item and heat cannon, adding more damage wont do anything but cause more problems. Last thing I want to see is the heavy C types getting there health raised to 1200hp. Good for them, bad for me.
[/font]

Maek it happen devs.

But honestly I think a mech just needs to be made to break death balls, some mech with massive AOE low damage and high rate of fire, bad at attacking people that spread out but good for if there are three people in a room.

Edited by deidarall, August 10 2014 - 06:11 AM.

May the unskilled become the most skilled. May the skilled remain the most skilled. Let the newest players have the most fun, and the most skilled have none. Let the skilled have fun, while the new have none. The unskilled maybe the most skilled if you let them be. The skilled may be the most killed if the world allows that. RAISINS!

Posted Image

#7 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts
  • LocationCanterstomp, Mechquestria

Posted August 10 2014 - 06:14 AM

View Postdeidarall, on August 10 2014 - 06:09 AM, said:

[/font]

Maek it happen devs.

But honestly I think a mech just needs to be made to break death balls, some mech with massive AOE low damage and high rate of fire, bad at attacking people that spread out but good for if there are three people in a room.

Isn't the Grenadier supposed to do that_

Aspiring Professional Yolodriver

View PostAmidatelion, on May 24 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

View Postcomic_sans, on October 31 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

SS, you wanna fight me_  I'm druuuuuunk_____ You could maybe win_!!

#8 deidarall

deidarall

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted August 10 2014 - 06:20 AM

View PostTwentyFirstPilot, on August 10 2014 - 06:14 AM, said:

[/font]

Maek it happen devs.

You think it would, but it does not have the AOE for it these days unless it has it's little ability on the Rev is more of a direct hit weapon, and you know what the heat and vuc are like. Gren also just tends to get run down by foes in the ball.
May the unskilled become the most skilled. May the skilled remain the most skilled. Let the newest players have the most fun, and the most skilled have none. Let the skilled have fun, while the new have none. The unskilled maybe the most skilled if you let them be. The skilled may be the most killed if the world allows that. RAISINS!

Posted Image

#9 Onstrava

Onstrava

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationThe Abyss.

Posted August 10 2014 - 06:26 AM

View Postdeidarall, on August 10 2014 - 06:20 AM, said:

View PostTwentyFirstPilot, on August 10 2014 - 06:14 AM, said:

[/font]

Maek it happen devs.

You think it would, but it does not have the AOE for it these days unless it has it's little ability on the Rev is more of a direct hit weapon, and you know what the heat and vuc are like. Gren also just tends to get run down by foes in the ball.
I wouldn't mind if they buffed the grenadier as a stand alone but buffing all the mechs that have the ability to lob spike balls, nooooo thank you sir or milady. Besides that just think here for a second though, if spike balls could be destroyed by other players, wouldn't that be a HUGE nerf to those type of mechs. I mean people will be aiming at your tow/spike ball side the entire time. :/ It would put a whole new meaning to "kill yourself".

Edited by Onstrava, August 10 2014 - 06:36 AM.

Posted Image

#10 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted August 10 2014 - 06:37 AM

no armor/hp buff needed for the Gren, if the original turret function were restored, and/or a significant (Vanguard or Rocketeer equivalent_) speed value were buffed. except for fatty-friendly maps that are also corner/bouncy-ball friendly, Even with team support, my Grenadier has a tendency to degenerate into a target of opportunity kill-freebie for A-frames (read: Scout, Berzerker). I've gone back to using Brawler--now there's a tough piece of work--if I'm gonna be fat 'n' slow.

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#11 Onstrava

Onstrava

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationThe Abyss.

Posted August 10 2014 - 06:44 AM

View PostEM1O, on August 10 2014 - 06:37 AM, said:

no armor/hp buff needed for the Gren, if the original turret function were restored, and/or a significant (Vanguard or Rocketeer equivalent_) speed value were buffed. except for fatty-friendly maps that are also corner/bouncy-ball friendly, Even with team support, my Grenadier has a tendency to degenerate into a target of opportunity kill-freebie for A-frames (read: Scout, Berzerker). I've gone back to using Brawler--now there's a tough piece of work--if I'm gonna be fat 'n' slow.
I would say a really good way to counter A types as a Gren would be to add a proximaty charge to the Gren's repeater launcher. This way if someone jumps in the air you just need to get your nades near them and it will explode in mid air. This way you don't need to really change anything or buff there health or damage or speed, just an easy hot fix and Gren would be good to go after that.

Edited by Onstrava, August 10 2014 - 06:45 AM.

Posted Image

#12 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted August 10 2014 - 07:50 AM

i doubt that would happen--it could be claimed the double-tap detonation of the right mouse button for GL was sufficient. it conforms to Infil setup of line-of-sight wep LMB (RevGL) and bouncy-ball contact/manual detonated wep RMB (GL)
Yeh, i know, EOC is timed stompy detonated, but still not detonated as it flies past a target

Edited by EM1O, August 10 2014 - 07:54 AM.

Posted Image

#13 HugeGuts

HugeGuts

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted August 10 2014 - 08:22 AM

Thing is with the Grenadier being the only capable anti death ball mech, you end up with another Technician or Incinerator debacle where you 'need' one on your team at all times if you want to stand a chance. This creates predictable, stale match ups.

Besides, most mechs having some capability of fighting death balls doesn't mean the Grenadier can't be the best at it.

Edited by HugeGuts, August 10 2014 - 08:23 AM.

#14 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted August 10 2014 - 08:59 AM

View PostOnstrava, on August 10 2014 - 05:55 AM, said:

You can 1 shot people in the infiltrator already with an item and heat cannon

No you can't. Charged heat + Grenade + Det won't kill any A class. Another heat shot is necessary. Sometimes a charged one or 2 uncharged shots. [300+ hours with infil].

Edited by EliteShooter, August 10 2014 - 08:59 AM.

Posted Image

#15 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted August 10 2014 - 10:46 AM

Same scenario I've had, with both Reaper and Infil: both weps salvo+Det/Bomb, 2nd shot primary, then 2nd salvo, Boom. best sequence for As, wounded Bs, or near-dead Cs (this implies you have full HP. YMMV)
if you form the habit of doing this on every Alpha Strike attempt, you'll improve your odds in the event your aim gets sloppy on any one shot. oh: and the 2 slot Failsafe is crucial requirement
ahem.

:)

Edited by EM1O, August 10 2014 - 10:52 AM.

Posted Image

#16 deidarall

deidarall

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted August 10 2014 - 02:08 PM

Thing is with the Grenadier being the only capable anti death ball mech, you end up with another Technician or Incinerator debacle where you 'need' one on your team at all times if you want to stand a chance. This creates predictable, stale match ups.

I am tired of this argument  "IF WE MAKE THIS MAECH GOOD AT SOMETHING INTERESTING  IT WILL BE IN EVERY TEAM AND THAT IS JUST BORING" It depends on what the team needs, if they are a kiting team they will not worry as much about the dead ball, but if they are a stand firm team or have a strong heavy class detachment they would consider a gren if it was a anti deathball mech, plus I still fail to see how that makes teams stale sure you know they will have a core of x mechs but the support they pick could change the way the entire team acts and plays. Plus "stale" teams does not always mean stale gameplay.

Plus I think death ball still should be used in some situations, you just wish to kill it off by making gren launcher and TOw super burst weps again.

Edited by deidarall, August 10 2014 - 02:09 PM.

Posted Image

#17 Infyrno

Infyrno

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Locationsomewhere over the rainbow

Posted August 10 2014 - 03:09 PM

View PostEliteShooter, on August 10 2014 - 08:59 AM, said:

No you can't. Charged heat + Grenade + Det won't kill any A class. Another heat shot is necessary. Sometimes a charged one or 2 uncharged shots. [300+ hours with infil].
Eoc repeater

King of alpha strike

Also, i think gren should maybe have an eoc repeater too, i just feel the need

#18 Onstrava

Onstrava

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationThe Abyss.

Posted August 10 2014 - 03:56 PM

View PostInfyrno, on August 10 2014 - 03:09 PM, said:

View PostEliteShooter, on August 10 2014 - 08:59 AM, said:

Eoc repeater

King of alpha strike

Also, i think gren should maybe have an eoc repeater too, i just feel the need
^This, you use the Eoc repeater and HE charge, the burst is huge. At the very least you'll just need to hit another A type one more time or so and there done.

Posted Image

#19 Varaxis

Varaxis

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted August 11 2014 - 07:12 AM

What about Heat, EMP, and Disruptor items to break up the swarms_

#20 MechFighter5e3bf9

MechFighter5e3bf9

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted August 12 2014 - 05:23 AM

pred + eoc  move in and 3-4 seconds to go till your in the middle of them start  launching attempting to pepper them then start the sideswiping  you will die but it makes them either panic and spread or suffer serious damage and the mines may pick them off after your death

ps the flashbang is nice too to break in

ps on bunker try  a medicated incin with ppa, fire long range and hit your targets they will take hits every shot nearly, and tbh they dont often aproach me once i start, comming over the nomans land would mean eating the firestorm (love bunkers hill terrain)

Edited by MechFighter5e3bf9, August 12 2014 - 05:30 AM.

i don't mean any of it

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users