HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Giving the Factions Identity

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DM30

DM30

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationCanada, Eh_

Posted August 15 2014 - 03:50 PM

So, earlier today I read a post in another suggestion thread about how incorporating more of Hawken's lore into the game could help give it a more unique identity as a game, something I agree with. That also made me think of something else: In game, what differentiates the two factions, Sentium and Prosk_ I've come to realize, not a whole lot.

In many other games I've played, different playable factions have different characteristics that make them stand out. A big example that jumps out at me is voice-overs. For example in Hawken, no matter what team you're on the computer voice is the same and Mr. Radio Guy is the same as well. (Does he work for both Sentium AND Prosk or something_ :huh: Double-dealing bastard). Really, there isn't anything in-game that gives these two corporations any form of identity, and when the match starts I have no sense of what side I'm fighting for.

I find this disappointing. It's just anonymous mech blob A vs. anonymous mech blob B, when there's the potential for grabbing people's attention in a slightly deeper way.

First obvious step is a different set of computer dialog for either Prosk or Sentium, with different voice acting and tone to it so that the dialog matches the lore personality of the faction. Same with Mr. Radio. That alone would be a huge improvement in giving each side its own feel, but I think it can go a step further.

Tying into the idea of adding more lore to the game in general, I was thinking it would be cool if at the start of the match there was some kind of commentary or line of dialogue that would relate to the map and/or game mode, incorporating the back-story of the map and the game at large into it. Again, these would be different for each side to reflect the overall personality of the people working for them. It doesn't have to be anything of real depth, but if story elements can be worked into it that would be a big bonus, for me at least.

Priority-wise I know this wouldn't be high on the list, but in my opinion small details like this are just as important as the core gameplay in making a game engaging and memorable. Having core gameplay that stands on its own is important, but rounding it out with extras like this really helps draw people in I think. As someone who hasn't yet taken the step of buying the graphic novels, having some sort of other method of getting even a tidbit of the game's larger back-story is something that would really appeal to me. It might even hook my interest enough to prompt me to actually get the graphic novels just out of curiosity.

Thoughts_

#2 KOS_Baconman

KOS_Baconman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • Locationsaving money..

Posted August 15 2014 - 04:09 PM

View PostDM30, on August 15 2014 - 03:50 PM, said:

So, earlier today I read a post in another suggestion thread about how incorporating more of Hawken's lore into the game could help give it a more unique identity as a game, something I agree with. That also made me think of something else: In game, what differentiates the two factions, Sentium and Prosk_ I've come to realize, not a whole lot.

In many other games I've played, different playable factions have different characteristics that make them stand out. A big example that jumps out at me is voice-overs. For example in Hawken, no matter what team you're on the computer voice is the same and Mr. Radio Guy is the same as well. (Does he work for both Sentium AND Prosk or something_ :huh: Double-dealing bastard). Really, there isn't anything in-game that gives these two corporations any form of identity, and when the match starts I have no sense of what side I'm fighting for.

I find this disappointing. It's just anonymous mech blob A vs. anonymous mech blob B, when there's the potential for grabbing people's attention in a slightly deeper way.

First obvious step is a different set of computer dialog for either Prosk or Sentium, with different voice acting and tone to it so that the dialog matches the lore personality of the faction. Same with Mr. Radio. That alone would be a huge improvement in giving each side its own feel, but I think it can go a step further.

Tying into the idea of adding more lore to the game in general, I was thinking it would be cool if at the start of the match there was some kind of commentary or line of dialogue that would relate to the map and/or game mode, incorporating the back-story of the map and the game at large into it. Again, these would be different for each side to reflect the overall personality of the people working for them. It doesn't have to be anything of real depth, but if story elements can be worked into it that would be a big bonus, for me at least.

Priority-wise I know this wouldn't be high on the list, but in my opinion small details like this are just as important as the core gameplay in making a game engaging and memorable. Having core gameplay that stands on its own is important, but rounding it out with extras like this really helps draw people in I think. As someone who hasn't yet taken the step of buying the graphic novels, having some sort of other method of getting even a tidbit of the game's larger back-story is something that would really appeal to me. It might even hook my interest enough to prompt me to actually get the graphic novels just out of curiosity.

Thoughts_

Mr.Radio guy = guy who tells you to get EU in seige_
Posted Image

#3 DM30

DM30

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationCanada, Eh_

Posted August 15 2014 - 04:34 PM

View PostKOS_Baconman, on August 15 2014 - 04:09 PM, said:

Mr.Radio guy = guy who tells you to get EU in seige_

At one point he would say when the base was taking serious damage in MA. I think this is still the case. Also, the guy who tells you to stick together with your teammates in TDM.

Short answer = yes.

#4 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted August 15 2014 - 05:09 PM

I don't desire any additional delays, it's annoying enough to slog through the trivia and nonsense between rounds, or matches. I agree on the Theming of each side, though. It would give me even more incentive to rage-quit when I get involuntarily switched.
Good input.

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#5 DM30

DM30

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationCanada, Eh_

Posted August 15 2014 - 05:59 PM

View PostEM1O, on August 15 2014 - 05:09 PM, said:

I don't desire any additional delays, it's annoying enough to slog through the trivia and nonsense between rounds, or matches. I agree on the Theming of each side, though. It would give me even more incentive to rage-quit when I get involuntarily switched.
Good input.

Ideally this would happen during the existing pre-match countdown right before game start, or right after. It wouldn't add any additional time. I'm just talking one or two lines, nothing more.

As for the rest...Not sure if serious <_<

#6 hoghead

hoghead

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • LocationShow Me State

Posted August 15 2014 - 06:26 PM

won't down load sorry... I like the idea, it would be cool to have some battle chatter maybe at the beginning of the match just to hype you up a little! ^_^

Edited by hoghead, August 15 2014 - 06:50 PM.

#7 KallenKozuki_

KallenKozuki_

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted August 17 2014 - 01:32 PM

yup, as of now it's just a shooter with no purpose. I agree with this
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users