HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Got a Predator, kind of disapointed

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Behemoth66

Behemoth66

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted August 21 2014 - 05:17 PM

When I look up info on the Predator, people consistently say that it's the hardest mech to learn and that learning it will ruin you for other mechs. Well I got it and played a few matches with it. You know what_ It wasn't that difficult. You just sneak around, shoot, and put mines where enemies walk. I expected more, am I doing something wrong_

#2 Barbie_in_a_Mech

Barbie_in_a_Mech

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationHidden in your bedroom, gathering intel for your sister.

Posted August 21 2014 - 05:36 PM

No, it's not more complicated than that.  The weapons are just hard to be effective with.  If you depend on support fire from a nearby pred to fight a battle and survive, you shouldn't risk it because the pred in question probably won't be able to do any damage against a jumping target...

People usually don't contribute much to the team as pred, and I recently learned that I'm not the only one who plays pred when the enemy team could use some help.

Posted Image

#3 GhostGunerIsBack

GhostGunerIsBack

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted August 21 2014 - 06:23 PM

View PostBehemoth66, on August 21 2014 - 05:17 PM, said:

When I look up info on the Predator, people consistently say that it's the hardest mech to learn and that learning it will ruin you for other mechs. Well I got it and played a few matches with it. You know what_ It wasn't that difficult. You just sneak around, shoot, and put mines where enemies walk. I expected more, am I doing something wrong_
Nope that's what i exactly do and with that sexy predator i get like 10 to 20 kills in a match

#4 Silk_Sk

Silk_Sk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted August 21 2014 - 07:02 PM

Most people (such as myself) who are saying it is difficult to learn have been playing Hawken for much longer than the predator has been around and have developed our styles around all the other mechs. But the predator has such a different play style from everything else it can be kind of a shock.
Posted Image

#5 Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSic Transit

Posted August 21 2014 - 07:27 PM

Posted Image

#6 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • LocationCanterstomp, Mechquestria

Posted August 21 2014 - 07:47 PM

View PostBarbie_in_a_Mech, on August 21 2014 - 05:36 PM, said:

No, it's not more complicated than that.  The weapons are just hard to be effective with.  If you depend on support fire from a nearby pred to fight a battle and survive, you shouldn't risk it because the pred in question probably won't be able to do any damage against a jumping target...

People usually don't contribute much to the team as pred, and I recently learned that I'm not the only one who plays pred when the enemy team could use some help.

The Predator is as complicated as you make it to be. It can be a useless mine layer, or it can be a full on frontal assault vehicle, able to trash any mech it comes across, and able to scatter entire teams.

Most people don't take the time to learn it, and that's why it's perceived as a bad mech.

As to whether or not it'll ruin you as a player_ It won't. However, you may learn to hate the simpler mechs in the game, simply because they don't mesh well with the skills you gain from mastering the Pred. I, for example, vehemently hate the Assault.

If you'd like to truly be good with the Predator, read Lightangel112's guide, then hit me up on Steam. Shoot me a PM and I'll give you my handle.

Aspiring Professional Yolodriver

View PostAmidatelion, on May 24 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

View Postcomic_sans, on October 31 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

SS, you wanna fight me_  I'm druuuuuunk_____ You could maybe win_!!

#7 MechFighter5e3bf9

MechFighter5e3bf9

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted August 21 2014 - 08:20 PM

hans down my favorit
i don't mean any of it

#8 Kopra

Kopra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationTurku, Finland

Posted August 22 2014 - 12:57 AM

Predator got its "difficult to use"-fame from a different era, that is Ascension. Its burst capabilities were useless because even A-classes could take the combined slug + flak into the face and still proceed to destroy you with superior DPS. This was because the mines were a lot weaker compared to other options and the Predator was known to overheat before being able to kill anything. A single mine made you heat as much as a TOW rocket and Breacher was heat intensive as well. Cooling off took a lot longer, so having placed a mine trap meant that you couldn't defend yourself at all unless you cooled off completely. The slug shot had a much harsher damage falloff unless you were very close so it couldn't be used for mid-long range sniping purposes like it is used now. It had the occasional double (or even triple) damage bug, though.

Now_ The Predator eats A-classes alive and destroys any wounded (and especially isolated) target with ease. Buffs given to the cloak and mines (that have a ridiculous radius and falloff range) which more often than not bug out so that they cannot be destroyed unless you hit them directly means the Predator can even do decent frontlining. Overheating is usually not an issue unless you are spamming mines way too much. It's a more complex and less forgiving than most mechs for sure, but it's not NES Silver Surfer hard.

#9 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted August 22 2014 - 05:15 AM

pred is stupid.

Posted Image

#10 Viskovitz

Viskovitz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted August 26 2014 - 05:35 AM

is there some kind of assault rifle or machinegun for the predator_ I just seen a predator with one.... and yes, it was a predator, he desapeared in front of my eyes....

#11 Behemoth66

Behemoth66

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted August 26 2014 - 06:46 AM

View PostViskovitz, on August 26 2014 - 05:35 AM, said:

is there some kind of assault rifle or machinegun for the predator_ I just seen a predator with one.... and yes, it was a predator, he desapeared in front of my eyes....

No, but the infiltrator does

View PostEliteShooter, on August 22 2014 - 05:15 AM, said:

pred is stupid.

Thank you for such a wonderful, researched, thought out comment.

#12 Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationBeing a Turnip.

Posted August 27 2014 - 04:09 AM

What you saw was most likely a "Glitch Mech". This happens when a syncing bug occurs between the server and client (Well it does with me, anyway), and often you end up with an entirely different mech from the one you chose, with a random primary weapon. I've had a reaper with a T32, which was fun to say the least. If you search "Predator with Point-D Vulcan glitch" into YouTube, there's a video where someone got a Predator with a vulcan as a primary.

Or it was an Infiltrator.
Posted ImageWhoever said Turnips couldn't play Video Games was wrong. Probably.
Spoiler

#13 m0bieduck

m0bieduck

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted August 28 2014 - 02:55 AM

View PostMiscellaneous, on August 27 2014 - 04:09 AM, said:

What you saw was most likely a "Glitch Mech". This happens when a syncing bug occurs between the server and client (Well it does with me, anyway), and often you end up with an entirely different mech from the one you chose, with a random primary weapon. I've had a reaper with a T32, which was fun to say the least. If you search "Predator with Point-D Vulcan glitch" into YouTube, there's a video where someone got a Predator with a vulcan as a primary.

Lolz my pred came with a vulcan

#14 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted August 28 2014 - 06:45 AM

View PostMiscellaneous, on August 27 2014 - 04:09 AM, said:

I found that video. Unfortunately, the player behind the mech was absolutely terrible at piloting the Predator.

If someone else gets this glitch, it must be recorded and used to its glorious potential.

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

#15 ThatDamnedBoedy

ThatDamnedBoedy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted August 29 2014 - 08:44 AM

Yeah the pred only has a great deal of trouble mainly versus mechs that are air dodging and flying most of the time.  That air compressor internal is trouble.  So you just have to not engage those people and play around em.  Somemaps are great for the pred like Uptown.  Mines everywhere and nice places to sit...hide ...dodge and look through walls.

Some maps are harder than others or certain map segments are harder.  The Pred likes the high ground in uptown.

#16 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted August 29 2014 - 08:52 AM

View PostThatDamnedBoedy, on August 29 2014 - 08:44 AM, said:

Yeah the pred only has a great deal of trouble mainly versus mechs that are air dodging and flying most of the time.  That air compressor internal is trouble.  So you just have to not engage those people and play around em.  Somemaps are great for the pred like Uptown.  Mines everywhere and nice places to sit...hide ...dodge and look through walls.

Some maps are harder than others or certain map segments are harder.  The Pred likes the high ground in uptown.

I can toast baddies who equip AC. Such is simply something you have to practice to get good at.

#17 SoldierHobbes11

SoldierHobbes11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted September 14 2014 - 11:53 AM

Predator is generally much more difficult for players who have the COD mentality to use. Unfortunately, most players have the COD mentality since it's one of the most played games. Not everyone is like this though, so obviously the predator is easier to use for some people. It's not set in stone that the predator is tough to use, but in general most people do find it difficult to pilot initially.
Need help with Hawken_ Click here for my Handy Hawken Handbook!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users