HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Elite Dangerous; Anyone around here playing_

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Fstroke

Fstroke

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted August 27 2014 - 04:14 AM

So tried this game out a couple of weeks ago. Very impressive even in its beta phase. There are many things I like about it but there are a lot of things I dont.

Things I dont like in its current state is there is nothing for new players to do other than trade for pennies. The starting ship is utterly worthless for everything. Its a very long, very steep, very monotonous grind until you can get into a ship that allows you to be competitive. I know its par for the course in games like this but in 2014 I was hoping for a more imaginative progression ladder rather than just straight verticality.

The community is interesting to say the least. Hot and cold I would say.

Anyone around here share their experiences_

#2 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted August 27 2014 - 04:19 AM

You're talking about me_ I'm Elite, and dangerous.

Posted Image

#3 FakeName

FakeName

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of my Succubus

Posted August 27 2014 - 04:28 AM

View PostFstroke, on August 27 2014 - 04:14 AM, said:

So tried this game out a couple of weeks ago. Very impressive even in its beta phase. There are many things I like about it but there are a lot of things I dont.

Things I dont like in its current state is there is nothing for new players to do other than trade for pennies. The starting ship is utterly worthless for everything. Its a very long, very steep, very monotonous grind until you can get into a ship that allows you to be competitive. I know its par for the course in games like this but in 2014 I was hoping for a more imaginative progression ladder rather than just straight verticality.

The community is interesting to say the least. Hot and cold I would say.

Anyone around here share their experiences_

To be honest, I wouldn't mind to jump into that and try it out but since I have access to Star Citizen, any other Space sim is more or less worthless since SC is breaking every record.

However, I could imagine to take part in this beta version, could you please give me further information as I don't have the time to try out 5 games at the same time_

And if you give me a decent ship to play (since you stated that the beginner ship is actually a small boat)_ Then I would join you wehreever you go :P

"Things change ... thank god, otherwise we would still hunt animals to survive and forge weapons of stone."

- FakeName

Posted Image

#4 Fstroke

Fstroke

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted August 27 2014 - 04:43 AM

Well the starting ship is a sidewinder. Its small, maneuverable, and has a little speed. But it is not the fastest or most maneuverable by a large margin, which I get for a starter ship but it is also by far has the weakest shields and weakest armor. 4 tons of cargo capacity which will be for your trading. At most you will make between 600cr to 1000cr (rare but possible) in profit a run.

Now for the good. 50+ star systems already in the game for you to space travel to your hearts content. Im not even sure ive been to 10 of them yet. Lots of customization options. Very cool immersive mechanics and controls for the ship. You can be a trader, pirate, fighter pilot, smuggler. These roles arent a set thing when you enter the game though and are decided by your actions depending on your jurisdiction. Very cool and addicting.

It is a whole $75 bones to enter the beta and there is much more content to be added. Its steep but it feels like just about a full game in its current state.

#5 Pelax

Pelax

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted August 27 2014 - 05:48 AM

I've played for 3-4 days then i've realised that this game doesn't have anything more to offer. It's just truck sim but set in space. Since combat is so poorly designed and bounties so low the only way to earn credits is via trading. 'Buy/launch/fly for 7 minutes/dock/sell'. Repeat that 100 times. Than buy new ship. Than repeat this whole trading nonsense 100 times more to buy better ship. One of the most boring experiences i had in a long time. It's not a game - it's second job. Boring as hell. Buggy too.

No story, huge yet empty sandbox with ZERO distinctive features or signs of any depth. Unexplored & wasted potential. No 3th person view.. even in lasting FOREVER automatic docking sequences (if u buy a nav computer) because 'it would killed the immersion' they've said... So why they're selling skins/paintjobs for the ships for 4$ each_ Oh..regular game price is just a paywall, see_

As a TIE Fighter/Xwing/ Wing Commander/ Privateer/ Freelancer veteran player I - with regret - must say this: don't even think about wasting your precious time playing this. Totally not worth it. No matter how pretty trailers look.

#6 Planerunner

Planerunner

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationHere. Right here.

Posted August 27 2014 - 06:15 AM

To be honest, I wouldn't mind to jump into that and try it out but since I have access to Star Citizen, any other Space sim is more or less worthless since SC is breaking every record.

You know, the sad thing is both SC and E:D are both in super-hype-megaland right now. The gameplay is the key. If playing games for 30 years (yes, 30) has taught me anything . . . do not believe the hype. And certainly don't give a developer your hard-earned money blindly, with no proof of anything but concept art. Sorry babe. You have to SHOW *ME* THE MONEY before I give you one red cent. It doesn't work the other way around (without some MAJOR consequences).

I can't underline that sentence enough when it comes to the game industry.

DO NOT BELIEVE THE HYPE.

Any hype. Sure, you can be optimistic and set expectations. But don't believe what you see (in an ad, a kickstarter, or E3 trailer, etc).

Believe what you can actually PLAY.

Heck, how many times have gamers been punked by developers_ Look at E:D . . . people are getting into the beta and seeing what's there. The game looks fantabulous. But if it has no content and ends up being nothing but a trucking simulator, where's the fun in that_ You paid $75 to play that_ Oh, it ISN'T what you were promised_ Color me shocked, SHOCKED, I tell you. From the sound of it, the original Elite is more fun than this, original graphics and all.

Meanwhile, we have people LITERALLY THROWING MONEY at Cloud Imperium to make SC . . . that WILL NOT end well. You know, if Chris Roberts said to himself 'I have enough money, I'm going to give everyone the finger, take the money and run.' He could do that. And no one could effectively stop him because everyone GAVE him that money without any real legally binding stipulations to protect themselves. Not any with REAL TEETH anyway. He's already got the cash. He's already using it. The Kickstarter is DONE. Good luck with that one, folks.

Now Chris won't do that. But the expectations for SC are so far out of whack, it might as well be the gaming equivalent of Barack Obama's 2008 campaign. People see what they want to see and dress it up in their imagination . . . not what's actually there. When you've got $50 million in DONATIONS given to a game developer, that's just freaking hilarious. It is ASKING to be let down so much it borders on criminality. On the fans that is, not Chris Roberts.

Posted Image

#7 Pelax

Pelax

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted August 27 2014 - 06:58 AM

View PostPlanerunner, on August 27 2014 - 06:15 AM, said:

30 years of gaming adventure_ I started in 1984 too: Manic Miner on ZX Spectrum i believe :D

They've fooled me with Frontier 'cause 20 years ago it was really impressive..

As I see Star Citizen - it's the way for millionaire Roberts to become even richer and to make a game with zero invest risk. Kickstarter's people payed for it. Not enough cash_ Let's make a subscription fee for 'insider' look on development. Still not enough_ Let's charge 134$ for a new ship you people wanna fly. This is total bull$hit!!!

How can people even throw their money there is just beyond me. Do they actually believe they'll get a spacesim+FPSshooter+racing game_!_ Plus 'wing commander' like campaign_ And all at AAA+ quality_ Good joke! Destiny - one of the costly game ever - doesn't have even half of those features.

For less than 30$ we could have the whole game package that would took even months to complete. Oh.. but that was millenium ago;-)

#8 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts
  • Locationfuzzybunny you, ima cat now (~o-o)~

Posted August 27 2014 - 07:15 AM

i need money ;_;

y u shove pretty things in mai face
"I find that there are those who will hang themselves if you give them enough rope, and that there are those who will provide their own rope. "
-VocalMagic           Croin//illal's wildlife

View PostDaPheel, on October 26 2013 - 01:05 AM, said:

You don't nuke Ropefish : ROPEFISH NUKES YOU!

#9 Fstroke

Fstroke

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted August 27 2014 - 08:19 AM

Well thats a little far. Ive seen the space truck simulator things thrown around alot too.

Trading is just the only reliable way to make money when you start out because your ship sucks. You dont want to go around picking fights for cargo or bounty hunting in your sucky little ship so you have to trade with your 4 tons of cargo space.

Its the biggest problem at the moment. New player experience sucks and its basically a game to get out of a sidewinder as fast as possible.

So far they have laid out a development roadmap and seem to be sticking to it. I have no reason not to believe it will be an awesome game. Unlike SC which still seems to be a pipe dream. This game is here and starting to take shape.

And according to developers they do plan on rebalancing career rewards and new player options. Right now it sucks for noobs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users