HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Amazon.com, Inc. acquired Twitch.tv for $970 Million

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Draigun

Draigun

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Location̵̨ͤ̈́͆̀ͯ̌ͮ͛̋̏͊ͣ̃ͥ̿͢͏̷̩͉̹̪̬̫͍͇̜̼͖͈ ̪͚͙̬̘̼̥̱̣̤ͪ̎́͑̀͟V̶̢̨̛̙̳͙̘̲͚̫̜̯̮̱̯̯̂ͫ͊̆͌͒̾̓̽͑̾ͯͣ̀̚ ͌́́̅̍͛̈́ͩ̏̏ͤ̆̅̋̽ͮ̌̕҉̻̬̳͍͓̺̱̩̜́͢Ȩ̴̘͓̻̫̭̳͈͚̩̭̰͖̝̯̼̥͇̖ͬ̒̇̐̆́͘ ̶̴̡̔̒͒͆̈́͏̠̯̥͍̳͈̘̦̖̖͚͙̬̺̕G̛͖͇̺͔̹͌̿̌̓̉͒ͬ̇̿ͭ͒͂̍̒ͫ̈́̔ͫ͢ ͯ́͛̊͌͊ͮ̓͜͏̥͚̞̺͓̗͙̪̜̰͖͖͈̬̘Ȃ̷̢̭͓̮͈̠̑ͥͫ̍̑̌̈́̔̋͛̑

Posted August 27 2014 - 06:57 PM

http://blog.twitch.t...august-25-2014/

A few questions that many might be asking.
  • Do you think Amazon's infrastructure will benefit Twitch in any way, shape, or form_
  • Do you think Amazon may incorporate imposing limitations to the infrastructure on Twitch (e.g. copyright against music streamed, video, etc)_
  • What do you expect to happen once this has been finalized_
I know there are some who stream on Twitch, and many who use Twitch. Google's original deal was at around $2 billion if I recall; however, apparently, Google and Twitch were under a possible antitrust violation, so there were limitations at that point. Amazon had to have taken advantage of this, and proceeded to acquire Twitch.tv.

Edited by Draigun, August 27 2014 - 07:03 PM.

Posted Image

"The flesh is dying, and we're the next big thing.
The world we know is every bit of real — and a hell of a lot more pure — than this decaying mudball you're trying to save.
Ascension lies in new ideas, not dusted-off old ones."
  - Philosophy of the Virtual Adepts

#2 Zdragow

Zdragow

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • LocationDrowning in energy drinks

Posted August 27 2014 - 07:14 PM

The way I understood it was that Twitch itself would remain largely independent and that the benefits, like monetary and support boosts, would help Twitch to help streamline their player even more and iron out even more bugs, giving tons of people a more pleasant experience.

I have to say I'm glad that Twitch wasn't acquired by Google, as there's no telling what would happen. And since Amazon is a huge competitor for Google, that means that (hopefully) Amazon will help to boost the streaming site even higher especially with Amazon gaining this huge leg to stand on in it's competition with Google.

Overall, I hope to see improvements. If anything bad, I'd see VODs continuing to have changes made.

#3 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted August 27 2014 - 07:48 PM

View PostZdragow, on August 27 2014 - 07:14 PM, said:

I have to say I'm glad that Twitch wasn't acquired by Google, as there's no telling what would happen.

Google gave up because they feared anti trust complaints.

http://www.cnet.com/...oncerns-report/
# while true; do echo "Post"; done

#4 plons

plons

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted August 27 2014 - 08:56 PM

hmmm

#5 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted August 27 2014 - 09:27 PM

The way things have gone here, and the lack of any worthwhile streaming on twitch, i really don't give a damm.
Nothing that affects my bank account, my income, my recreation, nor my interest in Amazon. Although they do have cool Rent-a-Russian-Babe knock off sites. heh. :D

edit: uh, if you search on this, do realize these are def NSFW sites_

Edited by EM1O, August 27 2014 - 09:28 PM.

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#6 I2DI

I2DI

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationWonderland

Posted August 27 2014 - 11:33 PM

There was a lot of talking about how Twitch will benefit after that or will it even benefit. If you knew russian i could just give a link to one gaming podcast where 3 smart guys (definitely not the last ones in game dev) came to a few interesting conclusions. But all of them desided that it will be almost the same as it was, not including ads.
You better shouldn't do !!Science!!, 'cos i will bring it to you myself.
References to the God of References.

#7 Fstroke

Fstroke

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted August 28 2014 - 04:15 PM

If anything twitch will benefit from amazon's network for cross platform distribution and development.

Lord knows twitch couldnt make an app for even android worth a damn.

#8 Draigun

Draigun

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Location̵̨ͤ̈́͆̀ͯ̌ͮ͛̋̏͊ͣ̃ͥ̿͢͏̷̩͉̹̪̬̫͍͇̜̼͖͈ ̪͚͙̬̘̼̥̱̣̤ͪ̎́͑̀͟V̶̢̨̛̙̳͙̘̲͚̫̜̯̮̱̯̯̂ͫ͊̆͌͒̾̓̽͑̾ͯͣ̀̚ ͌́́̅̍͛̈́ͩ̏̏ͤ̆̅̋̽ͮ̌̕҉̻̬̳͍͓̺̱̩̜́͢Ȩ̴̘͓̻̫̭̳͈͚̩̭̰͖̝̯̼̥͇̖ͬ̒̇̐̆́͘ ̶̴̡̔̒͒͆̈́͏̠̯̥͍̳͈̘̦̖̖͚͙̬̺̕G̛͖͇̺͔̹͌̿̌̓̉͒ͬ̇̿ͭ͒͂̍̒ͫ̈́̔ͫ͢ ͯ́͛̊͌͊ͮ̓͜͏̥͚̞̺͓̗͙̪̜̰͖͖͈̬̘Ȃ̷̢̭͓̮͈̠̑ͥͫ̍̑̌̈́̔̋͛̑

Posted August 31 2014 - 08:23 PM

Indeed, I'd rather have Amazon buy Twitch, since Google is infamous for assimilating and dissecting an acquired company, sometimes for good, sometimes for bad.

Edited by Draigun, August 31 2014 - 08:24 PM.

Posted Image

"The flesh is dying, and we're the next big thing.
The world we know is every bit of real — and a hell of a lot more pure — than this decaying mudball you're trying to save.
Ascension lies in new ideas, not dusted-off old ones."
  - Philosophy of the Virtual Adepts

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users