HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Freehand Mech Drawings

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bkcat1

bkcat1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationOuter space, destroying worlds

Posted September 02 2014 - 08:42 PM

These were on Steam, but the people I care about are here on the forums. ;)

Each one took about a full day of drawing, but I'd say those days were well-spent!

I definitely want to do more in the future, but it takes a lot of time... I'll get around to it sometime.

Attached Thumbnails

• Infiltrator.JPG
  • Raider.JPG

#2 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted September 02 2014 - 09:47 PM

I saw those already since weeks :)

Posted Image

#3 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationEmpire of the Sun

Posted September 03 2014 - 05:23 AM

They look good.  Now see if you can come up with different mech designs.  Just play around with it.  You  never know where it might lead.

#4 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • LocationCanterstomp, Mechquestria

Posted September 03 2014 - 06:16 AM

Very nice! Keep it up! Also, you should totally draw the Pretzeltor.

Aspiring Professional Yolodriver

View PostAmidatelion, on May 24 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

View Postcomic_sans, on October 31 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

SS, you wanna fight me_  I'm druuuuuunk_____ You could maybe win_!!

#5 Flifang

Flifang

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationJoono Araska

Posted September 03 2014 - 10:53 AM

Very nice. I'm a lover of drawing myself. It's usually about whatever I'm into but I can tell you that I gave up trying to draw mechs within months of me beginning to play hawken. I can do dinosaurs and anything fictional looking. Can't do faces or robots of any sort.

#6 ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted September 03 2014 - 02:07 PM

Nice! I do a fair amount of drawing myself, so I'm a little more aware of some things than most, and I'm sure as you keep at it you'll notice these as well.

Check your circles. They're hard to draw, but worth getting right. Things like those rear fuel tanks, the grenade (and the launcher itself) on the infil can really add to a drawing when done correctly.

Keep reworking those details! Use a mechanical pencil or finer for the really tiny things (remember even the smallest piece casts a shadow, and often it's only visible because of the shadow), but you've got a great eye for some general stuff that most people have difficulty pinning down (the shading is like 90% accurate, which is great, and the size and shape of different components scale well, which can be difficult to pin down and takes most of us a fair amount of erasing). Don't be afraid of making dark objects pop out, or giving your mechs a background. Things like that can really give a sense of scale that's helpful in keeping the eye focused and not confused.

I apologize for the criticism, just want to see people keep improving. I think it's great work.
Posted Image

#7 bkcat1

bkcat1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationOuter space, destroying worlds

Posted September 03 2014 - 02:19 PM

View Postticklemyiguana, on September 03 2014 - 02:07 PM, said:

Nice! I do a fair amount of drawing myself, so I'm a little more aware of some things than most, and I'm sure as you keep at it you'll notice these as well.

Check your circles. They're hard to draw, but worth getting right. Things like those rear fuel tanks, the grenade (and the launcher itself) on the infil can really add to a drawing when done correctly.

Keep reworking those details! Use a mechanical pencil or finer for the really tiny things (remember even the smallest piece casts a shadow, and often it's only visible because of the shadow), but you've got a great eye for some general stuff that most people have difficulty pinning down (the shading is like 90% accurate, which is great, and the size and shape of different components scale well, which can be difficult to pin down and takes most of us a fair amount of erasing). Don't be afraid of making dark objects pop out, or giving your mechs a background. Things like that can really give a sense of scale that's helpful in keeping the eye focused and not confused.

I apologize for the criticism, just want to see people keep improving. I think it's great work.

Hey, this kind of stuff is fantastic. I appreciate it 100%! My circles are a bit wiggly, so I'll totally work on those. I did actually use a mechanical pencil for most of the drawings, though, and the camera definitely does not pick up on the sharpness. As for the shading, I agree that I need to darken some places more; I was just afraid to black out some of my precious detailing. XD I am able to take criticism, and I will definitely take your suggestions to heart.

#8 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • LocationCanterstomp, Mechquestria

Posted September 03 2014 - 03:49 PM

View Postticklemyiguana, on September 03 2014 - 02:07 PM, said:

Civil criticism is nothing to apologize for. If someone becomes angry when given that, they're behaving foolishly.

Aspiring Professional Yolodriver

View PostAmidatelion, on May 24 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

View Postcomic_sans, on October 31 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

SS, you wanna fight me_  I'm druuuuuunk_____ You could maybe win_!!

#9 ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted September 03 2014 - 03:59 PM

View Postbkcat1, on September 03 2014 - 02:19 PM, said:

As for the shading, I agree that I need to darken some places more; I was just afraid to black out some of my precious detailing.
It's a lot like writing, sometimes you need to cut out your favorite parts for the benefit of the whole. It's really a judgement call when to do so, though.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users