HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Special Ability Holos

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Commander_Char

Commander_Char

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationSide 3

Posted September 04 2014 - 01:31 AM

It seems odd to me that all of the mechs get the same little holo dealy every time they use their signature ability. It would be cool if there were a few to chose from and maybe a few premium ones that a pilot could customize their mech with, like with the taunt holos, repair bots, and so on. Just a few ideas:
  • Chicken sound and feathers (for when your Raider decides to GTFO)
  • Holographic Mass Effect-like armor (Would fit well with a Bruiser)
  • Smokey skulls (Reaper, anyone_)
  • Shroud of fire
  • Crashing waves
You get the picture. Note that all of these things would still have the kinda stripey, flickering holographic thing going on like an old TV set. You wouldn't activate an ability and look like something out of G Gundam. But, if pilots take the time to make holographic taunts of chickens and teabagging robots, I would assume they would also find time to make awesome holos for their mech's abilities. In all honesty, I can think of nothing cooler than having my Raider in full Blitz barreling down on an enemy with some sort of scary fire shroud and a maniacal laugh blaring from unseen speakers.

Okay, people are having trouble with my sarcasm or maybe just terminology, so I'll say it here in plain terms.

Currently, when a player uses a special ability, they get red or blue boxes around them. These are the same on every mech. That's kind of boring, considering all the other ways you can trick out your mech. I am suggesting that different designs, instead of these red and blue boxes, be added as a customizable feature. Maybe green boxes! Or yellow circles! Or magical dancing leprechauns who only speak in Italian.

Edited by Commander_Char, September 07 2014 - 04:36 AM.

#2 Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationBeing a Turnip.

Posted September 04 2014 - 04:39 AM

I like this idea. Especially the Holographic armour, I' d add that to everything if it were avaliable :)

What would be cool through is a different way for the mechs with Invisibility cloaks, such as the Predator and Infiltrator, to change the way it activates, and the colour, too. So your predator could cloak itself, and instead of those blue dots, The whole thing could glow blue then fade, or something like that.

New customization options are always good ^_^
Posted ImageWhoever said Turnips couldn't play Video Games was wrong. Probably.
Spoiler

#3 Opicron

Opicron

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted September 04 2014 - 05:24 AM

Definately. Had to read twice to understand which holo you were talking about:

- First I thought the Hologram
- Then, no, he must be talking about Taunts
- Ah, the special ability marked on the mech

Must be sleepy.
Posted Image#94 it used to be

#4 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationEmpire of the Sun

Posted September 04 2014 - 06:12 AM

Opicron, on September 04 2014 - 05:24 AM, said:

Definately. Had to read twice to understand which holo you were talking about:

- First I thought the Hologram
- Then, no, he must be talking about Taunts
- Ah, the special ability marked on the mech

Must be sleepy.

Yeah I had the same problem.  He is too wordy which makes it hard to follow.

At any rate, he is on to something.  Very good suggestion!

#5 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • LocationCanterstomp, Mechquestria

Posted September 04 2014 - 07:00 AM

The concept isn't bad, though your examples are pretty tacky.

Aspiring Professional Yolodriver

View PostAmidatelion, on May 24 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

View Postcomic_sans, on October 31 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

SS, you wanna fight me_  I'm druuuuuunk_____ You could maybe win_!!

#6 DarthWar

DarthWar

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted September 04 2014 - 08:29 AM

TwentyFirstPilot, on September 04 2014 - 07:00 AM, said:

Hurray for tacky decels/holo-paint! They've been known to improve the efficiency of everything they are attached to including Honda civics, laptops and snowmobiles.

#7 Commander_Char

Commander_Char

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationSide 3

Posted September 04 2014 - 08:36 AM

Hey, if you have some better examples, I'd be glad to hear them.

#8 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted September 04 2014 - 08:44 AM

Commander_Char, on September 04 2014 - 08:36 AM, said:

Whether or not I do is irrelevant in regards to whether or not your ideas are tacky.

However, I do have other ideas. Those consist of alternative geometric patterns, similar to what we have now.

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

#9 Commander_Char

Commander_Char

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationSide 3

Posted September 04 2014 - 11:04 AM

TwentyFirstPilot, on September 04 2014 - 08:44 AM, said:

Whether or not I do is irrelevant in regards to whether or not your ideas are tacky.

However, I do have other ideas. Those consist of alternative geometric patterns, similar to what we have now.

No one is saying that they aren't. They were mainly meant to be tongue-in-cheek, but apparently that's lost on you. Care to explain more about these geometric patterns_ That alone doesn't really give anyone anything to go or design off of, other than "more glowing polygons plox."

#10 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted September 04 2014 - 11:16 AM

Commander_Char, on September 04 2014 - 11:04 AM, said:

TwentyFirstPilot, on September 04 2014 - 08:44 AM, said:

No one is saying that they aren't. They were mainly meant to be tongue-in-cheek, but apparently that's lost on you. Care to explain more about these geometric patterns_ That alone doesn't really give anyone anything to go or design off of, other than "more glowing polygons plox."

Alright. I assumed sarcasm.

I can't do that, as any explanation I could offer would be muddled, since I can't compare those possible designs with commonplace objects. However, I might be able to find a few pictures similar to what I'm thinking. I'll do a few searches later today when I have the time.

#11 Silk_Sk

Silk_Sk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted September 04 2014 - 11:57 AM

Full support, as long as this one is an option.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 ShadowGTR

ShadowGTR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted September 04 2014 - 02:55 PM

Commander_Char, on September 04 2014 - 01:31 AM, said:

In all honesty, I can think of nothing cooler than having my Raider in full Blitz barreling down on an enemy with some sort of scary fire shroud and a maniacal laugh blaring from unseen speakers.

I read this, and the first thing that popped into my mind: LEEEEEROOOOOY JEEEEEEEENKIIIIIIINNNNSSS :D

Posted Image

#13 Zdragow

Zdragow

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • LocationDrowning in energy drinks

Posted September 04 2014 - 03:23 PM

This is actually not a bad idea.

I would love to see rainbows pulsating over my Grenadier's body when I activate his ability.

Or maybe just something that looks like this on my Bruiser.
Posted Image

#14 Commander_Char

Commander_Char

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationSide 3

Posted September 07 2014 - 02:28 AM

Zone of the Enders is awesome. And yeah, some sort of force shield design would be easy enough. Alternatively, you could have chunks of composite armor form from the surroundings. Kinda like how the terrain regenerates in the Origin map.

A rainbow thing might be funny. Put it on a Scout and it's like you got the star power up from Mario Kart. xD

#15 FateLovely

FateLovely

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationVirtual Reality.

Posted September 07 2014 - 03:17 AM

I read the op than read the comments and I still have no idea what the topic is actually about. But taking the examples and comments I don't think its a really good idea. None of that stuff belongs in game and I think taunt holos are dumb to begin with. Screams_ Rainbows_ Crashing waves_ Shrouds of fire_ You should try wizards online, not hawken.
Posted Image

#16 FateLovely

FateLovely

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationVirtual Reality.

Posted September 07 2014 - 03:27 AM

Finally figured it out. Yeah your examples are pretty..interesting. I don't know how many of you watch anime but there's currently a one named "Aldnoah Zero" and there's makes there that basically release light when powering up and that's what the current abilities remind me of. It's simple, does the job, and fits the game. I sure there's some actual good options out there. But you'll have to find way better examples. As long as a bruiser looks like a big version of my high school project I don't think it needs any technological advanced effect, and so on
Posted Image

#17 Commander_Char

Commander_Char

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationSide 3

Posted September 07 2014 - 04:32 AM

Okay, people are having trouble with my sarcasm or maybe just terminology, so I'll say it here in plain terms.

Currently, when a player uses a special ability, they get red or blue boxes around them. These are the same on every mech. That's kind of boring, considering all the other ways you can trick out your mech. I am suggesting that different designs, instead of these red and blue boxes, be added as a customizable feature. Maybe green boxes! Or yellow circles! Or magical dancing leprechauns who only speak in Italian.

Edited by Commander_Char, September 07 2014 - 04:36 AM.

#18 ZeroSteelfist

ZeroSteelfist

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted September 16 2014 - 07:47 PM

A small holo might be a fun addition to the in cockpit items that are currently offered.

#19 Shjohn

Shjohn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted October 21 2014 - 07:44 PM

@Commander_Char, ts funny you should mention the terrain on the origin maps. Ok lore time.  Before the war between sentium and prose there was another faction, Crion. In an event known as the Crion incident the company basically self destructed abd released the project they had been working on known as the Hawkens virus. The virus is a regenerating metal that spreads and converts minerals, chemicals and even organic matter into metal. This virus had come to cover approximately one third of the planet. This is the regenerating metal you see in origin, prosk uptown and other maps. This is where the mechs come in. Since it is to dangerous for people to fight on the ground,  mechs are needed. What makes your idea to make a composite armor out of the Hawkens virus funny is that the mechs already have advanced alloys that allow the mech to regenerate when receiving an energy charge.  So really your idea is already there.  That's why it's funny:)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users