HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

I want to learn how to Hawken!

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Dawn_of_Ash

Dawn_of_Ash

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationAustralia, mite.

Posted September 20 2014 - 05:49 AM

Edit: I would like to say that this thread is an attempt to help other players and not just myself. I'm going to be putting key info into this post instead of making people read through everything to get key info. I really hope this helps people. :)

Some time ago, Weezl3 had made a topic to help other pilots in the art of Hawken (can be found here: https://community.pl...tant-very-read/) and, at the time, I wasn't too motivated to get help, putting off my lack of skill being "due to lag" or saying that I can not improve "due to lag".

However, after having my butt handed to me several times in the last few weeks in the "Weezl3's Funtime Friday" event, I am seriously reconsidering if my poor scores are truly "due to lag". Reason is, it's pretty obvious after seeing streams and youtube videos, that we have many skilled pilots on here and I'm obviously not on that level.

Weezl3's topic was to help other pilots in the game, and I would like to follow Weezl3's example. Problem is, I'm not a very skilled pilot and, to be blunt, I'm a terrible teacher (trust me, I've tried). So instead of teaching, I would like to learn.

Learn how to and when to dodge properly. Learn how to use a certain mech to its maximum potential. Learn what types of internals/items would be best with the mechs. I want to learn how to be good at Hawken.

But I don't want to learn alone, or for this knowledge to be only told to me. I want everyone who is willing to learn to benefit. I want to make a topic to focus on pilots sharing tips and strategies with each other.

So, if anyone has awesome strategies or techniques on how to become a better Hawken pilot, it would be greatly appreciated if you jot down a bit about said strategy! Videos which shows high-level play and helpful tips would also be great! :D Also, if you are willing to show videos, please tell me because I don't want to show things without the person's permission.

I'll try and update this thread and put them in dot-point form so it'd be easier for people to read instead of scrolling through the entire discussion if people are willing to share their knowledge.

See you all on the battlefield! Peace peoples!
Posted Image

Quotes from the topic:
  • "Play with your brain, not your reflexes." - Lunatic_Fringe
  • "First, learn to be a Lone Wolf, then learn to work with a team (after MMR 2000 or so)." - Lunatic_Fringe
  • Always get the first hit in - do not miss with your secondary." - Lunatic_Fringe
  • Don't spam your primary, and don't take the time to line up your primary - instead maneuver/slide so the opponent is always in the center of your screen." - Lunatic_Fringe
  • Play aggressively - force him into a mistake (e.g. overheat, wasted secondary, exposing himself).After you're good at Loner tactics, learn when to flank to harry your enemy into mistakes while fighting your teammates.  Harry means kill the flanks and push them into the center fight, then learn to break up the deathball, and escape." - Lunatic_Fringe (thanks a lot for that post)
  • "One of the more important skills (and lunatic covered this) is; stay off rader for as much as possible.
  • "Positioning is the most important skill you need to truly excel in this game. Sure, a solid aim and fast reaction time will help you, just like it does in every fps game, but because of the high ttk times and dodge mechanics, proper positioning can make all the difference."  - IareDave
  • "This bears repeating: Don't spam your weapons just because they're off cooldown... especially your secondary weapon. It sounds trivial and obvious, but it's very easy to forget you should aim _before_ you shoot" - Hell_Diguner
  • "Set mental timers in your head and add tasks to do when those timers are up" - Hell_Diguner
Helpful Guides:

Leonhardt's guide in the ways of the Manguard (Vanguard). I would recommend players to check it out because it does have a lot of helpful tips (with a bit of humour in it as well). Check it out here: https://community.pl...-play-manguard/

Videos:

Movement/Dodging:
Spoiler

Vanguard/Manguard:
Spoiler

Edited by Dawn_of_Ash, September 22 2014 - 12:42 AM.

#2 Lunatic_Fringe

Lunatic_Fringe

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted September 20 2014 - 06:45 AM

Play with your brain, not your reflexes.  First, learn to be a Lone Wolf, then learn to work with a team (after MMR 2000 or so).  For nearly every mech:

Pay attention to Radar.  First step is to play to isolate or only fight isolated other players (avoid DM at this phase, because as you'll see later, it's not isolated).

Maneuver - preferably without radar signature - to a point where you can encounter another (enemy) player.  Always get the first hit in - do not miss with your secondary.  If you must miss, miss with the primary...  Airburst your tow or grenade if you aren't 100% sure of an impact - I try to time mine to burst just past the player. Place your AOE weapons between the enemy/target and a reflective surface (wall, ceiling).  Corners are best - you'll reflect 3pi steridians (most of the burst) to the center of the corner.

In the 1v1, place your secondaries where he will be after his dodge is over (everything, including scouts - especially airborne mechs - must pause after a dodge).  Really good players will minimize this by boosting or dodging at an oblique angle then boosting at a different angle to avoid the 'dead stop', and you need to both incorporate this tactic and learn to counter it (you usually have to take a hit to recognize it it being done to you). Often you can force a mobile mech to make a choice between your primary and your secondary.

Don't spam your primary, and don't take the time to line up your primary - instead maneuver/slide so the opponent is always in the center of your screen.  Train yourself to click off the primary as your reticle crosses the hitbox.  If you are facehugging the opponent, drag your reticle across his hitbox and smear your primary against him.

Play aggressively - force him into a mistake (e.g. overheat, wasted secondary, exposing himself).  Force him into corner play, and alternate your peek-a-boos with primary and secondary.  Try to disrupt your timing so the peeking isn't immediately after a weapon or dodge cooldown (try to mess up the opponents' timing).

I prefer burst weapons  - flak cannon, re-flak, heat cannon - to sustained fire because I play more of a fire-cover play than movement (many people who have played me will scratch their heads, but it's true).  

Flying mechs - especially Aircompressor players who have slaved burst/dodge to a double-tap or mouse macro - are actually easier to hit because they'll essentially stop dead or move slowly after a dodge.  Rocketeers/Bruisers/Berzerkers floating and drifting backward are countered by boosting under them and shooting from behind, rinse, repeat.  Otherwise, hit them, then dodge the Vulcan/Seeker with an obstacle.  Incin is usually handled the same way (don't engage an incin without TALL, WIDE cover.  Some areas in Front Line you should just avoid if an incin is there).

DM and later in TDM (as a lone wolf), move to where two players are fighting, and hit the enemy with the higher health.  DM, you can play for the doublekill by being patient, stealing the final blow on the weaker then killing the stronger.  TDM, just kill the most-dangerous opponent.  You'll get a feel for who's most-dangerous in these fights.

After you're good at Loner tactics, learn when to flank to harry your enemy into mistakes while fighting your teammates.  Harry means kill the flanks and push them into the center fight, then learn to break up the deathball, and escape.

After you're good with this, get good at keeping your teammates in sight and recognizing how the battle is flowing, and when  you need to support the center or when you and a wingman are in a position to retreat or combine an attack.  

THEN you can get good at being the center of the battle (AA/Silo defense), and learning how to move to keep your team able to support you.

There's probably other paths to high skill.  This is what worked for me.
www.taw.net - Hawken battalion. twitch.tv/LvnaticFringe

#3 BurnsHot

BurnsHot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationEmpire of the Sun

Posted September 20 2014 - 06:49 AM

There are a lot of tips out there already so I'm not going to repeat them.  I do like your idea of consolidating them all in one place.

Here is some advice I don't see mentioned that often.  If you are able to.  Record your game play and study it.  Try to analyze how you play and find those situations where you could have done something different to improve the outcome.  Learn to recognize your positional mistakes etc.

Similar to watching other players videos, but you have to understand yourself and your own mistakes to really push it to the next level.

#4 DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted September 20 2014 - 06:55 AM

I want to learn how to Hawken!

Location Australia

Alright then.

#5 Lunatic_Fringe

Lunatic_Fringe

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted September 20 2014 - 06:56 AM

A couple of other thoughts:

Multikills are the key to good scoring.  

Don't fight a full-health opponent if you can help it, and if you only have full health opponents to fight, engage them only if their friends cannot come help him before you kill him and heal (carry health orbs).

It's better to engage opponents already in a fight.  Don't engage them if you can't kill as many as can turn their attention to you - I can do this in lower-level pub servers, but knowing when I'm facing smurfs or higher-level competitive-league players and NOT engaging when I can't survive the swarm is key.  

When I don't top a pickup game server, I am almost always facing organized tactics and a very disciplined team out for a pubstomp.  In these cases, i pretty much just write off 5pts MMR and quit the match.

Also, don't chase a Scout.

Edited by Lunatic_Fringe, September 20 2014 - 06:57 AM.

#6 m0bieduck

m0bieduck

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted September 20 2014 - 08:12 AM

Dude, I saw u last night and you looked like you were doing pretty well. Your movement was good but I saw that you barely landed any shots. Never knew you were in Australia. Try eoc r pred, its great for high ping games and stuff like that

Oh yeah, and try west coast people are going back to it since they reduced the amount of servers on us east

Edited by m0bieduck, September 20 2014 - 08:13 AM.

#7 phed

phed

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted September 20 2014 - 08:15 AM

to deal with ping, as long as it's consistent, use non-hitscan weapons.  You'll be leading these shots anyway so compensating for the ping becomes second nature.  I especially like the heat-cannon and the eoc for this reason.

#8 IareDave

IareDave

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted September 20 2014 - 08:53 AM

Positioning is the most important skill you need to truly excel in this game. Sure, a solid aim and fast reaction time will help you, just like it does in every fps game, but because of the high ttk times and dodge mechanics, proper positioning can make all the difference.

I focus on the radar just about as much as i focus on my reticule. I can discern what mechs are chasing me for example just by the speed of the moving dot. This information is incredibly useful, especially while piloting an A class. Positioning requirements changes for every mech, but you the general idea is you need to know where all the players are in an engagement and this can only happen if you place equal attention to the radar and your aim. Goodluck!

#9 Badtings

Badtings

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationLA,

Posted September 20 2014 - 08:54 AM

One of the more important skills (and lunatic covered this) is; stay off radar as much as possible.

Edited for color.

Edited by Badtings, September 20 2014 - 08:58 AM.

Posted Image

#10 bad_wolf2013

bad_wolf2013

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted September 20 2014 - 09:35 AM

Learning with high ping is hard, I've been playing for 3 months now and almost every match at 189 ping.

It takes time to get used to it but I suggest learning the eoc repeater on pred or on raider. Most would say that they are bad choices and I would agree, but seriously using hitscan weapons at pings above 160 is extremely hard and at that moment, eoc repeater become really awesome.
The burst damage is great and just overall fun.

I also suggest buying a grenadier cuz seriously, it's op as fuzzy bunny. Once you get used to it you can play consistently upto about 350 ping.

Once you go above 450 it's best to just leave since your firing animation, it happens twice. Once when you click the mouse and next when the shot actually comes out, there is a delay of approximately 5 seconds.

At 988(is it possible for a larger number to be shown, I always cap out at 988 no matter how leggy it is), everyone teleports everywhere, only thing that can be used is Mama bear incin but that's possible only while fighting bots.

I might suggest hellfire mechs but I've found eoc and revgl to be better weapons.

You could go heat cannon(that stuff is good on grenadier) but I suggest you avoid using a-mechs since, well, lag. Unless you are really good with them and don't mind blowing up every time there is a lag spike.

Others have inform you about radar usage but let me make it clear, if you don't know about everything around you at high pings, you might as well be a headless chicken.

#11 DM30

DM30

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationCanada, Eh_

Posted September 20 2014 - 10:36 AM

I completely agree with the above points on radar and AOE projectile weaponry. When I play with high ping I have a much easier time with my Grenadier variants rather than my usual go-to mechs like Assault or Raider.

However, I have to disagree with Lunatic_Fringe. Due to high ping, trying to win lone-wolf battles will be very difficult since it all comes down to predicting/reacting to the enemy's movement and avoiding damage in return, which is difficult to do with a high delay. Sticking with teamates and turning 1v1's into 2v1's in your team's favour will give you a much easier time, I think.

Also, with what people said about radar, make sure you're positioning yourself in ways that minimize the risk of being trapped between enemies. This is what I struggle with the most at the moment, and in situations where your reaction times are hampered by ping I can only imagine it's even more important. Knowing when to run away is an important skill, but that only works if you have an open escape route.

Edited by DM30, September 20 2014 - 10:37 AM.

#12 Lunatic_Fringe

Lunatic_Fringe

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted September 20 2014 - 10:40 AM

View PostDM30, on September 20 2014 - 10:36 AM, said:

However, I have to disagree with Lunatic_Fringe...

The OP request was (paraphrasing) "tell me how to play if ping is not in the equation". ("I am seriously reconsidering if my poor scores are truly "due to lag")

Edited by Lunatic_Fringe, September 20 2014 - 10:42 AM.

#13 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted September 20 2014 - 11:23 AM

View PostSwompKreetcher, on September 20 2014 - 07:33 AM, said:

and if your ping/lag is really terrible (Australia_), get really familiar with hellfire mechs.

He was (Rocketeer), but it didn't help since he was in a room with people that know how to dodge hellfires well.

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#14 DM30

DM30

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationCanada, Eh_

Posted September 20 2014 - 11:35 AM

View PostLunatic_Fringe, on September 20 2014 - 10:40 AM, said:

However, I have to disagree with Lunatic_Fringe...

The OP request was (paraphrasing) "tell me how to play if ping is not in the equation". ("I am seriously reconsidering if my poor scores are truly "due to lag")

Fair enough. I read it as looking for explanations beyond JUST lag. Ping is a factor they're still going to have to consider, so things like firing right when the reticle passes over an enemy or lone-wolf 1v1's where victory comes down to timing and who makes fewer mistakes aren't going to apply the same as for someone that doesn't have to worry about it.

It was good advice, but the context of the person asking for it still needs to be kept in mind or else it can become invalid.

#15 Dawn_of_Ash

Dawn_of_Ash

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationAustralia, mite.

Posted September 20 2014 - 03:05 PM

View PostLunatic_Fringe, on September 20 2014 - 06:45 AM, said:

*snip*

Thanks a lot for putting the time into writing all of that! :) I appreciate it and I will attempt my hardest to get better!

View PostBurnsHot, on September 20 2014 - 06:49 AM, said:

There are a lot of tips out there already so I'm not going to repeat them.  I do like your idea of consolidating them all in one place.

Here is some advice I don't see mentioned that often.  If you are able to.  Record your game play and study it.  Try to analyze how you play and find those situations where you could have done something different to improve the outcome.  Learn to recognize your positional mistakes etc.

Similar to watching other players videos, but you have to understand yourself and your own mistakes to really push it to the next level.

That makes sense, but unfortunately, my current PC (or laptop) is having a hard time running Hawken by itself that I'm a bit worried about what would happen if I put anything more onto this laptop.

View PostSylhiri, on September 20 2014 - 11:23 AM, said:

View PostSwompKreetcher, on September 20 2014 - 07:33 AM, said:

and if your ping/lag is really terrible (Australia_), get really familiar with hellfire mechs.

He was (Rocketeer), but it didn't help since he was in a room with people that know how to dodge hellfires well.

The reason I brought up my performance about Weelz3's Funtime Fridays - I can pretty much only play Rocketeer "with my lag". I've tried switching back to something but my performance is instantious and I was at the bottom of the leaderboard with more deaths than I would like. If I go up against anyone with greater knowledge on when to dodge a Hellfire, I come up very short.

View PostIareDave, on September 20 2014 - 08:53 AM, said:

Positioning is the most important skill you need to truly excel in this game. Sure, a solid aim and fast reaction time will help you, just like it does in every fps game, but because of the high ttk times and dodge mechanics, proper positioning can make all the difference.

I focus on the radar just about as much as i focus on my reticule. I can discern what mechs are chasing me for example just by the speed of the moving dot. This information is incredibly useful, especially while piloting an A class. Positioning requirements changes for every mech, but you the general idea is you need to know where all the players are in an engagement and this can only happen if you place equal attention to the radar and your aim. Goodluck!

Positioning is what I feel is my main problem. I pretty much play 3 mechs, Predator, Rocketeer and Tech. As I understand, those three mechs would need very different positionings which I where I feel like I'm going wrong. I'm positioning my Rocketeer where my Tech should be. Thanks a lot for the advice! :D

Also, with what people said about radar, make sure you're positioning yourself in ways that minimize the risk of being trapped between enemies. This is what I struggle with the most at the moment, and in situations where your reaction times are hampered by ping I can only imagine it's even more important. Knowing when to run away is an important skill, but that only works if you have an open escape route.

We seem to share a common problem then. I find it difficult to be in an agressive match with with one mech while also keeping my eye on the rader. The closest thing I can do is what for the other mech to shoot me and deal damage before I even consider it. However, running is my specialty so I feel that for me it's more about using my surroundings to limit one player while I take out another. Thanks for the advice! :D

Thanks to everyone who had posted so far! I will be sure to consider all of the above statements in my playstyle! :D

#16 DragonDope

DragonDope

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted September 20 2014 - 08:05 PM

Outta sight, outta mind.

Only let yourself be in their mind as you slaughter them :)

And think before you act, assess the situation.

#17 bad_wolf2013

bad_wolf2013

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted September 20 2014 - 09:03 PM

However, I have to disagree with Lunatic_Fringe. Due to high ping, trying to win lone-wolf battles will be very difficult since it all comes down to predicting/reacting to the enemy's movement and avoiding damage in return, which is difficult to do with a high delay. Sticking with teamates and turning 1v1's into 2v1's in your team's favour will give you a much easier time, I think.

You are correct, but not wholly since it is possible to lone wolf and I've found lone wolfing to be easier then when I'm with my team. As op mentioned, he has a laptop which cannot handle hawken, my condition is the same. I have noticed that Vulcans, which are used by most assault pilots, cause my game to lag a lot so sticking to your team, which is bound to have one Vulcan 90% of the time, can be bad, really bad. Since I usually play mechs like pred, raider and gren I always go for the flank as that's where I've found them to excel.

About your problems with positioning and radar awareness, keep practicing nothing else can help you. Pay attention to the sounds around you to check if there is a mech nearby, keeping itself off the radar. Stick to cover, that's your best bet, and pay attention to the hit detector to know whether your shot has hit or not. In fights, I spend the first two mins to try and engage every single enemy, check for any patterns, exploit them, predicting your enemy is your main advantage. The next 8 mins should go into using this advantage to the max, avoiding players who are better than you are since the pings don't give you any chance while fighting them. When fighting people with higher skill, predicting them is almost impossible since your mindset is not the same as theirs.  This is another reasons to stay with your team, which could protect you from this guy but this paragraph has another reason to stay away from your team, since you won't have the silence to hear your enemies. It depends on what you want, the protection of your team or the situational awareness.

All of this information is for playing at high pings, I know you told us to give you tips by assuming that ping is not in play, but since you are playing from Aus, you can't really ignore it. Develop your play style around the ping, my mmr isn't high but it's increasing, slowly but surely, just about to cross 1900, all it takes is patience.

#18 Hell_Diguner

Hell_Diguner

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted September 21 2014 - 12:17 AM

You may not have the opportunity to play "with" your team in matches below 2000 mmr, but you should still be thinking about how to maximize the benefit of your actions. Usually you can watch your teammates to figure out how to best approach a battle. If your teammates do damage but aren't able to push the enemy team off an objective, it might be a good idea to sneak behind the other team and finish off two or three enemies who retreat to heal. You're still acting as lone-wolf, but now you're doing something useful.

Maybe the rest of the enemy team finds you, kills you, and your teammates fail to take advantage of your distraction. Seeing as your flank didn't work, you decide to spawn as a tech to improve your teammate's survivability so they can push more. You find as soon as you start healing your teammates, they play more aggressive and walk right into a crossfire, getting you both killed. You can't out-heal stupid. Pull back and look for a teammate who was smart/skilled enough to disengage from the fight to heal up. THAT's the person you want to stick to with when he heads into a fight. Again, you're acting as lone-wolf, but now you're doing stuff in a way that invites others to start playing as a team.

View PostDawn_of_Ash, on September 20 2014 - 03:05 PM, said:

Positioning is what I feel is my main problem. I pretty much play 3 mechs, Predator, Rocketeer and Tech. As I understand, those three mechs would need very different positionings which I where I feel like I'm going wrong. I'm positioning my Rocketeer where my Tech should be.

If you have sustain weapons, you should play differently than if you have burst weapons. The Incinerator and the Scout are polar opposites: The Incin requires near-constant line-of-sight to deal damage, while the Scout is king of corner play and footwork. A good Incinerator can suppresses an entire team, preventing them from sticking their heads out long enough to deal significant damage. A good scout can kill opponents in quick succession by taking full advantage of his high speed (to stay out of enemy crosshairs) and high burst damage (to attack whenever his crosshairs happen to be on target during maneuvering). Other mechs and weapon loadouts fall somewhere between Incin's sustain and Scout's burst. Learning where each mech lies on this scale is important to both how you play a mech to its maximum potential and to how you can most easily defeat it. Similar concepts can be applied to weapon range, weapon dynamics, mech class and mech type.

This bears repeating: Don't spam your weapons just because they're off cooldown... especially your secondary weapon. It sounds trivial and obvious, but it's very easy to forget you should aim _before_ you shoot.

If you can, fight dirty. The only 1v1 duels you should get into are the ones you can't avoid, or the ones where you're confident you'll come out on top because the enemy has low health. Before engaging a 1v1, think about whether or not more enemies are likely to show up before you can escape. Buy items and use them. Ignore your conscience saying EMPs and health orbs are for people with lesser skill. They're a tool just like your weapons, and you should learn to get the most out of them.

Retreat is a perfectly valid and often very beneficial strategy. You need to start thinking of your health and heat pools as consumable resources, rather than progress bars to your doom. How much can you get done with 300 health_ If your heat bars go above half full, consider breaking off and let teammates finish the job. Plan escape routs, then plan for at what health you'll use them. Plan how you advance or retreat around cover if your opponent reacts one way or a different way. Plan where to stop following a retreating enemy so you don't overextend.

Set mental timers in your head and add tasks to do when those timers are up. If you haven't done this sort of thing before, you can start by reminding yourself to do these tasks when you respawn, heal, and while you travel long distances. Evaluate the big picture and the flaws in how you've played for the last minute and over the entire match. Try to shorten the time between these evaluations. Once you're doing it every time your mind is idle, it'll become easier to remember these things when it is semi-idle, like just before or just after entering direct combat. Other things you should put on timer include checking your radar, planning escape routs, guessing teammate and enemy positions due to respawning, predicting hot-spots and retreat-spots in the next minute due to player positions and objective status, and probable behavior of the most dangerous people on the enemy team. The ultimate goal is to almost constantly plan for worst and best case scenarios so you know what to do without hesitation based on how the situation plays out.

All players have experience. Good players can combine experience with planning. Great players can combine experience, planning, and predicting. As you get better at planning, you'll discover you have more time in combat and at the edge of combat to think about the patterns you're seeing in teammates and enemies. If you can predict their actions, you can take advantage of their habits. The best players take it even further by playing mind games to throw off each other's predictions.

As others have said, radar is important. It's vital in corner-play and cover-play to track your opponent(s) without actually having line of sight. It's also useful to discover enemy positions. As you pay attention to it more, you'll notice the radar in some mechs has much less range than in other mechs. Remember which mechs have short range and which have long range. Eventually you'll be able to take advantage of occasions when you know the enemy's radar range is short.

You will hit walls, where it seems like you can't improve any more. At these times, change what you're doing. Play with a different primary, a different mech, a different game mode, or even a different game for a while. Search the forums for advice and youtube for Hawken videos (full-length gameplay, not montages). Watch somebody worse than you and analyze where they go wrong. Watch somebody better than you and analyze how they play differently from you. Typically somebody better than you does more things deliberately, so pay close attention to when their behavior deviates from what you would do, and try to figure out why they did that. Look for good results, then backtrack to when they knew to do something you would not have done. Radar, chat, objective progress, health bars, audio... anything could be a hint.

View PostDawn_of_Ash, on September 20 2014 - 03:05 PM, said:

That makes sense, but unfortunately, my current PC (or laptop) is having a hard time running Hawken by itself that I'm a bit worried about what would happen if I put anything more onto this laptop.

Ping is important, but framerate even more so. Open the console and type stat fps. You want stable fps at or above 30 frames a second. If you're not getting it, turn your graphic's settings down. If you're still not getting good framerate, search the forums for modifying your ini files to have even lower visual settings. nepacake might be nice enough to help you here :D  One thing I haven't seen mentioned on these forums is you can limit your framerate using the MaxSmoothedFrameRate=60 line in HawkenEngine.ini under the [Engine.Engine] heading. My computer is capable of rendering beyond my monitor's refresh rate (60 fps), but even if I limit it to 60, my framerate drops at the most important time: combat. I limit my framerate to 45 fps so my card's average temperature in-game is reduced. This way, during peak loads (combat) the temperature doesn't go up long enough to trigger throttling.

#19 Weezl3

Weezl3

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted September 21 2014 - 08:12 AM

After reading through this whole thread, there is one thing that is universally true regardless of ping or mech. The two most important things to master are your positioning and your movement. These are the biggest differences between players who excel at a high level of play and those who struggle even in matches full of new players.

If you don't understand how to position yourself on a map, then you cannot expect to play well. It is as simple as that. If you are dying a lot, or you find yourself being swarmed by the enemy team with relative frequency, then more likely than not you are out of position.

Movement is probably just as important in hawken as positioning. Both are extremely important, but if you have perfect positioning then your movement doesn't need to be quite as skilled. This relationship works both ways, too. This means that if your movement is perfect, then you can get out of position a little bit more often because you have the ability to escape more easily. Compare this to a highly skilled scout being able to pop in the middle of an enemy team, kill one of them, and escape without dying himself. This is the advantage of movement skill.

The higher a person's combined positioning and movement skills are, the better they typically perform. This is regardless of accuracy, but that obviously can play a role in fights too.

I'm glad to see some guys are still interested in learning and improving instead of just being complacent with where they are. If you guys would like any help, I am more than willing to assist in whatever ways that I can. Just let me know if you think of a way I can help.

Edited by Weezl3, September 21 2014 - 08:19 AM.

#20 bad_wolf2013

bad_wolf2013

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted September 21 2014 - 09:56 AM

You could post some gameplay vids on YouTube cuz I find that stuff really helpful, doesn't even have to be a commentary, just simple gameplay.

Maybe for mini flak vanguard(seriously though, I need some vanguard vids).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users