HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Ditching Air Compressor: Advice_

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • LocationCanterstomp, Mechquestria

Posted September 20 2014 - 10:03 AM

As it says in the title, what advice do you have for playing without air compressor_

I'd like to free up a few slots in my favorite loadout, and I'd like to learn a new playstyle.

Edit: I'm keeping AC on my Predator. What I'm trying to do is learn Infiltrator without AC.

Edited by TwentyFirstPilot, September 20 2014 - 04:24 PM.

Aspiring Professional Yolodriver

View PostAmidatelion, on May 24 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

View Postcomic_sans, on October 31 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

SS, you wanna fight me_  I'm druuuuuunk_____ You could maybe win_!!

#2 comic_sans

comic_sans

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationI dunno!

Posted September 20 2014 - 10:04 AM

Don't.

#3 Kopra

Kopra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationTurku, Finland

Posted September 20 2014 - 10:13 AM

Depends on the mech, but by ditching AC you will have more fuel to burn for ground movement so you might want to emphasize on that.

#4 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted September 20 2014 - 10:18 AM

View PostKopra, on September 20 2014 - 10:13 AM, said:

Depends on the mech, but by ditching AC you will have more fuel to burn for ground movement so you might want to emphasize on that.

That's what I mean. What sort of new maneuvers should I use to compensate for my lack of AC_ (Videos would be excellent.)

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

#5 Flifang

Flifang

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationJoono Araska

Posted September 20 2014 - 10:21 AM

Kiting, Kiting, and um...
MORE KITING!
bait people around corners and areas with a low ceiling so they can't get above you.
Be next to the second corner by the time they reach the first one you went around and kiting is much better practiced in deathmatch

#6 Zaxik

Zaxik

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • LocationPrague, Czech republic

Posted September 20 2014 - 10:26 AM

Just stay on the ground, pressing spacebar without air compressor is a fast way to scrapyard.

I too am learning to play without AC and it's definitely a nice change :-)
Got few Hawken vids here on my YT.

#7 IareDave

IareDave

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted September 20 2014 - 10:54 AM

Depends on the mech really. If you're using the scout without AC, you want to maintain mobility during reloads. Might go something like this: Fire flak/tow, boost straight then dash to the left, boost straight again then dash to the right. Takes about 2.5 seconds if you do it right and gives you enough time to throw off the enemy and your tow will be ready to fire.

#8 Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSic Transit

Posted September 20 2014 - 04:09 PM

On your Predator_

Don't.

If you do, you need to be massively on point with puck placement because you lose entire degrees of magnitude of areas to place pucks because hoverig becomes a death sentence.

You won't have the maneuverability of an A or the HP of a C to manage dodge or tank tactics, so your best bet would be staying and mid-to-long range, in cover, which makes your pucks easier to dodge and lessens the impact of your spread Breacher.

#9 Odinous

Odinous

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAthens,Greece

Posted September 20 2014 - 04:19 PM

View PostTwentyFirstPilot, on September 20 2014 - 10:03 AM, said:

As it says in the title, what advice do you have for playing without air compressor_

I'd like to free up a few slots in my favorite loadout, and I'd like to learn a new playstyle.
well i dont have AC on many mechs,only the ones with largest advantage from it.
Recently though i met hestoned,i was playing with high ping cause of another region,though this dude's scout was unbeatable,was always full when i got to meat him,aand always full at the corner when i chased him,so i am trying his set up,and actually its not bad at all,once u remember that u dont have ac you dodge as hell.Its nice.

#10 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted September 20 2014 - 04:26 PM

View PostAmidatelion, on September 20 2014 - 04:09 PM, said:

On your Predator_

Don't.

If you do, you need to be massively on point with puck placement because you lose entire degrees of magnitude of areas to place pucks because hoverig becomes a death sentence.

You won't have the maneuverability of an A or the HP of a C to manage dodge or tank tactics, so your best bet would be staying and mid-to-long range, in cover, which makes your pucks easier to dodge and lessens the impact of your spread Breacher.

Edited the OP to be more clear.

I don't want to remove AC from my Pred, I'm trying to learn Infil without AC, so long as such doesn't put me at a crippling disadvantage.

#11 Odinous

Odinous

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAthens,Greece

Posted September 20 2014 - 04:29 PM

View PostIareDave, on September 20 2014 - 10:54 AM, said:

Depends on the mech really. If you're using the scout without AC, you want to maintain mobility during reloads. Might go something like this: Fire flak/tow, boost straight then dash to the left, boost straight again then dash to the right. Takes about 2.5 seconds if you do it right and gives you enough time to throw off the enemy and your tow will be ready to fire.
What he said!
When i started playing hawken,and i saw veterans doing some movement(no ac then)i was hungry to learn how to,here you go.Was nice trying to practise those,on scout its the best cause of speed and fuel and the burst combo u can do with flak+tow :)

Edited by Odinous, September 20 2014 - 04:32 PM.

#12 Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSic Transit

Posted September 20 2014 - 06:24 PM

View PostTwentyFirstPilot, on September 20 2014 - 04:26 PM, said:

On your Predator_

Don't.

I don't want to remove AC from my Pred, I'm trying to learn Infil without AC, so long as such doesn't put me at a crippling disadvantage.

Skitzoid runs Infil sans AC, I believe, and more power to him for that. Ask him.

#13 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted September 20 2014 - 08:20 PM

View PostAmidatelion, on September 20 2014 - 06:24 PM, said:

On your Predator_

Don't.

Skitzoid runs Infil sans AC, I believe, and more power to him for that. Ask him.

Got it, thanks.

#14 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted September 21 2014 - 02:23 PM

I'm trying to learn Infil without AC, so long as such doesn't put me at a crippling disadvantage.

As long as your not in the air more then 1-2 seconds and don't use jumppads you'll do fine.

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#15 Kopra

Kopra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationTurku, Finland

Posted September 21 2014 - 07:42 PM

View PostSylhiri, on September 21 2014 - 02:23 PM, said:

I'm trying to learn Infil without AC, so long as such doesn't put me at a crippling disadvantage.

As long as your not in the air more then 1-2 seconds and don't use jumppads you'll do fine.

Or get the Air-180.

#16 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted September 22 2014 - 10:18 AM

View PostKopra, on September 21 2014 - 07:42 PM, said:

Or get the Air-180.

If he's ditching the air compressor it's better to use those empty slots for something useful.

#17 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted September 22 2014 - 03:37 PM

3slot adv repair kit, 2 slot extractor, basic failsafe.
or swap out with 2 slot fuel converter.

Edited by EM1O, September 22 2014 - 03:39 PM.

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#18 Kopra

Kopra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationTurku, Finland

Posted September 22 2014 - 06:28 PM

View PostSylhiri, on September 22 2014 - 10:18 AM, said:

View PostKopra, on September 21 2014 - 07:42 PM, said:

Or get the Air-180.
I don't know how to use the Air-180.

FTFY.

For just 1 slot, in addition to skipping jump pad parables, you get to exceed the turn rate cap without having to stop, since you conserve a part of your momentum. I don't know about you, but to me that's very useful.

#19 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted September 23 2014 - 09:20 AM

View PostKopra, on September 22 2014 - 06:28 PM, said:

For just 1 slot, in addition to skipping jump pad parables, you get to exceed the turn rate cap without having to stop, since you conserve a part of your momentum. I don't know about you, but to me that's very useful.

Yet while your getting shot at it does absolutely nothing and requires you to be in a vulnerable position to use while other players can dodge on the ground or in the air. I don't know about you but even the passive healing internal is way more useful then spinning around in the air because at least it does something productive.

#20 Kopra

Kopra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationTurku, Finland

Posted September 23 2014 - 10:43 AM

View PostSylhiri, on September 23 2014 - 09:20 AM, said:

View PostKopra, on September 22 2014 - 06:28 PM, said:

Yet while your getting shot at it does absolutely nothing and requires you to be in a vulnerable position to use while other players can dodge on the ground or in the air. I don't know about you but even the passive healing internal is way more useful then spinning around in the air because at least it does something productive.

What you described there is basically doing it wrong. Spinning around in a vulnerable position and when getting shot at, expecting for the internal to do something_

Your inability to use it productively doesn't mean others can't use it to great effect. It does exactly what I described earlier; it's up to you how well you abuse that feature.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users