HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Playing Support

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ZeroSteelfist

ZeroSteelfist

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted September 30 2014 - 09:10 PM

Recently I have changed my play style from frontline combat to support. Not to say that I don't get in the middle of the fights but instead of kills I have started focusing on survival, suppression, and covering teammates while they heal. It's kinds of hard to get used to. I feel good about my contributions but it definitely affects my score. I might finish with 1k 2d 14a instead of 5-6-3. I still play an assault mech as my main. So the question is, which style would you rather play on a team with_

Edited by ZeroSteelfist, September 30 2014 - 09:10 PM.

#2 Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSic Transit

Posted September 30 2014 - 09:44 PM

Well, minimizing your deaths is a good way to go, but an Assault is just that: a frontline assault mech. I mean, sure you can play it how you want, but you're not giving or getting the best out of it.

If you want a support mech, the Bruiser, Rocketeer and various snipers better fill those roles.

On the other hand, there's something to be said for there not being any such thing as support roles -  only those who kill and those who kill more.

Would you rather kill or kill more_

#3 ZeroSteelfist

ZeroSteelfist

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted September 30 2014 - 10:36 PM

Well I guess the way it looks to me is do I want more kills personally or do I want more kills for my team. If we win it doesn't bother me too much to be lower on the ladder, so making sure we complete the kill seems like a fair priority. You make a good point though as far as not making the most of it.

As far as mechs to use and tactics I am looking at trying something a little more suited to the role. The Bruiser was one that caught my eye. I played a Tech for a bit but it doesn't seem to fit that well in the overall game to me and lately I have seen too many Tech pilots going for kills instead of healing their team.

#4 Zycon

Zycon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted October 01 2014 - 02:10 AM

Support is about sacrifice. As a tech, if a man is going down fast (and if I am able to) I jump in the line of fire to soak some damage for them.

#5 ZeroSteelfist

ZeroSteelfist

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted October 01 2014 - 06:32 AM

Agreed, I am referring to the pilots that are breaking ahead of the team lines to engage.

#6 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted October 12 2014 - 06:03 AM

BattleTech sounds like right up your alley. Replenisher(devastating with RedRay Vampire-Technician)+AirCompressor, Mk3 Repair and Mk1 EMP. Awesome on support, scary good rekking if you & your teammate get jumped while healz!
8-0-17 is about the best i've ever had so far with it--i'm a scrubby bubba. not that great usually.
btw: until you get Really Good, this is just for fun. there are some Tech pilots i know of that routinely turn the Tech into a mech to be reckoned with...enjoy!
:)

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#7 Source_Mystic

Source_Mystic

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted October 13 2014 - 05:58 PM

I play support as my main role. I do not use one mech for that but several. I look at my team and what they need or lack to win. Then I choose a mech to fill that role.  I use predator , incinerater, vanguard, reaper, grenider, tech, soon soon I  will be adding a heat scout and sharpshotter. Why do I play support . I find it more challenging and stratagic than to rambo the front line. Supports role is as see it to try to fill in the gap of what the team lacks. Alot of the time that means getting between a teammate and a enemy and taking one for the team ... but when you play support well ... it is rewarding on a different level because of all the varrables it intales. I personaly think each team needs one dedicated support player ... and I try to fill that role.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users