HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Horrible negative mouse acceleration

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 lightswitch

lightswitch

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted October 11 2014 - 08:25 AM

I get really bad negative mouse acceleration if I try to move my mouse quickly. I couldn't find any settings in game to turn it off. I already have Windows acceleration turned off so whatever is happening is coming from the game itself. My mouse is a Steelseries Sensei Raw, although I plan on replacing it soon.

Is there any fix for this_ I'm a low sensitivity gamer and it's borderline game-breaking for me.

#2 JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • LocationMO

Posted October 11 2014 - 08:26 AM

It's a turn rate cap. There's nothing you can do about it.

#3 Fantus_Longhorn

Fantus_Longhorn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, UK

Posted October 11 2014 - 08:26 AM

It's not negative acceleration (not from the game, at least), it's just ignoring the speed you're moving the mouse at above a certain cap.

Posted Image

Hawken EMP Youtube Channel ~ Watch Previous Episodes Here

And unto us a clan is born...

"May all our assists be critical and all our kills be stolen. Amen"

#4 LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted October 11 2014 - 08:27 AM

You'll get it.

Posted Image

vR-Gaming

Raider Vids>>>Twitch Youtube<<<Raider Vids 2500mmr

Fuzzy Bunny Stats

#5 Massive_Assailant_Stingray

Massive_Assailant_Stingray

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted October 11 2014 - 08:28 AM

It's not really negative mouse acceleration. No matter how fast or slow you move your mouse, your mech will max out at a certain turn speed. It just seems like there's something wrong there, because when you move your mouse faster than the mech can turn, you start running out of mousepad while the mech keeps turning at it's constant, slower, rate.

#6 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts
  • LocationCanterstomp, Mechquestria

Posted October 11 2014 - 08:49 AM

Turn down your mouse sensitivity. Hawken's default is way too high.

Aspiring Professional Yolodriver

View PostAmidatelion, on May 24 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

View Postcomic_sans, on October 31 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

SS, you wanna fight me_  I'm druuuuuunk_____ You could maybe win_!!

#7 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,889 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted October 11 2014 - 09:33 AM

This ain't a human shooter babyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Posted Image

#8 phed

phed

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted October 11 2014 - 09:43 AM

yeah, what they said

#9 Badtings

Badtings

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationLA,

Posted October 11 2014 - 09:44 AM

What Elite and Phed and Loc and 21st and Jeff and Fantus said.

Edited by Badtings, October 11 2014 - 09:46 AM.

Posted Image

#10 Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSic Transit

Posted October 11 2014 - 10:00 AM

It's a turn cap.

To clarify, while Hawken borrows elements from twitch shooters, the flexibility of a human to turn at will is not present in a multi-ton, storey high stomping robot. So there is a fixed rate at which you can turn. You can aim within a 90 degree arc with full freedom, but once you start to turn, the mech's chassis needs to re-orient and that can only happen so quickly.

There's other simulation elements in Hawken as well, and the turn-cap is one of them. Getting stuck on walls is another, although this is glitched to hell. Fuel management, heat, all elements of simulation, rather than straight-up arena shooting.

tl;dr no 360 no-scopes 4 u

Edited by Amidatelion, October 11 2014 - 10:04 AM.

#11 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted October 11 2014 - 11:57 AM

View PostMassive_Assailant_Stingray, on October 11 2014 - 08:28 AM, said:

It's not really negative mouse acceleration. No matter how fast or slow you move your mouse, your mech will max out at a certain turn speed. It just seems like there's something wrong there, because when you move your mouse faster than the mech can turn, you start running out of mousepad while the mech keeps turning at it's constant, slower, rate.

This.

As others have said before, it's a turn rate cap.

Learn to move your mouse in a more controlled fashion. As a gamer coming from other twitch shooter backgrounds, it was a bit of a transition for me, but I'm well used to it by now.

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#12 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted October 11 2014 - 01:00 PM

View PostAmidatelion, on October 11 2014 - 10:00 AM, said:

It's a turn cap.

To clarify, while Hawken borrows elements from twitch shooters, the flexibility of a human to turn at will is not present in a multi-ton, storey high stomping robot. So there is a fixed rate at which you can turn. You can aim within a 90 degree arc with full freedom, but once you start to turn, the mech's chassis needs to re-orient and that can only happen so quickly.

There's other simulation elements in Hawken as well, and the turn-cap is one of them. Getting stuck on walls is another, although this is glitched to hell. Fuel management, heat, all elements of simulation, rather than straight-up arena shooting.

Getting stuck on walls is a simulation element_ How so_

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

#13 Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSic Transit

Posted October 11 2014 - 01:09 PM

View PostTwentyFirstPilot, on October 11 2014 - 01:00 PM, said:

View PostAmidatelion, on October 11 2014 - 10:00 AM, said:

It's a turn cap.

Ever tried backing a trailer up through an alley_

With large vehicles, you have to be careful of moving in close confines, same goes for mechs. Your various sticky-out bits and pieces catch on things, and then damage occurs. In any mech media with pretensions of realism there's some depiction of a careless pilot getting tangled up in cabling or tripping on things they didn't see or getting clotheslined by a beam because they took that corner too fast. In Hawken this is most obvious with the grating sound that happens when you're running against a wall, but there is obviously friction when running up against objects.

It's just sometimes friction turns into wallglue. And sometimes the ground has it too (please see the friggin jumppads on Frontline).

I complain a lot about getting stuck on geometry, but that's really just my own damn fault most of the time.

#14 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted October 11 2014 - 02:21 PM

it's somewhat like driving a car or another large vehicle in real life - you have to be aware that your mech's frame is larger than you perceive it to be through the viewscreen and account for that by giving yourself enough maneuvering space. once you realize that and play accordingly you'll likely find yourself getting caught on walls a lot less
Posted Image

#15 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted October 11 2014 - 02:53 PM

View PostBeefsweat, on October 11 2014 - 02:21 PM, said:

it's somewhat like driving a car or another large vehicle in real life - you have to be aware that your mech's frame is larger than you perceive it to be through the viewscreen and account for that by giving yourself enough maneuvering space. once you realize that and play accordingly you'll likely find yourself getting caught on walls a lot less

Oh, I see. I misunderstood what Amid meant when he said 'stuck on walls'.

#16 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted October 11 2014 - 07:48 PM

try mouse acceleration setting of 9 to 12 for starters. mine is on 10, and ok for me.

sticky walls, bumpy rocks and trees (another grump about Eco as if the graphics don't worf bad enuff), really annoying when the enemy is ripping up your face.
another bit of physics i'd like to see tweaked, is if my fat C tank is backing away from a firefight, the idiot Fred blocking the hall gets rammed backwards out of the way and left to the tender caresses of your assailant, instead of him choking things up and using you as a meatshield.
i know, i know.... :P

Edited by EM1O, October 11 2014 - 07:51 PM.

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#17 MechFighter5e3bf9

MechFighter5e3bf9

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted October 12 2014 - 12:59 AM

after a day tinkering  to get that perfect feel that lets me land consecutive flaks or fireballs all ranges here is my setup
in your PC's Documents, My Games, Hawken are the ini configurations but you only need to use these for advanced edits like tesselation texture resolution etc and  changing stuff randomly can produce some psychedelic results so i wont detail all the edits i've made as i had made some as i wrote this post and dont wanna mess ya up

EDIT: heres an oopsie i just did https://drive.google...iew_usp=sharing

(HawkenInput.ini)
[Engine.PlayerInput]
MouseSensitivity=15.000000
DoubleClickTime=0.250000
bEnableMouseSmoothing=False

(HawkenGame.ini) (24 in lcd monitor 60 hz) res 1680 x 1050
FOV_Override=110.000000
CockpitLagFactor=0.100000

Misc:
(HawkenCamera.ini)

[HawkenGame.HawkenCameraMode_KillerCam]
bForceFirstPerson=True
ps f5 type stat fps to audit for a while until all changes are done, there are also threads with examples of graphics/colors manipulation via ini to speed up fps and or make enemies stand out in environments if thats a thing you'd do

now since your on steel series heres the meat
CPI1 i set mine at 1260 and CPI2 (toggle button on top the mouse) i set to maximum for when i'm in turret mode to turn faster
now most importantly polling rate = 1000

after this i no longer have that horrid mouse delay similar to using a mouse on a slow ass big screen plasma tv etc, and acceleration or whatever all seems ok i am doing great

ps windows "mouse" speed is slider set mid and unchecked precision

and when your mind is slow some days for whatever reason you may want to derease fov to "fps game average 80" but if you can keep up at 110 with these mouse setts you will be called a cheater alot

Edited by MechFighter5e3bf9, October 12 2014 - 10:38 AM.

i don't mean any of it

#18 Hell_Diguner

Hell_Diguner

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted October 12 2014 - 06:30 PM

View PostMechFighter5e3bf9, on October 12 2014 - 12:59 AM, said:

~snip~
You seriously play with DirectionalLightmaps=False _ How do you even navigate in Wreckage_

#19 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted October 12 2014 - 06:38 PM

ps f5 type stat fps to audit for a while until all changes are done, there are also threads with examples of graphics/colors manipulation via ini to speed up fps and or make enemies stand out in environments if thats a thing you'd do

uhh personally that's a thing I'd call cheating...
Posted Image

#20 Hell_Diguner

Hell_Diguner

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted October 12 2014 - 06:50 PM

View PostBeefsweat, on October 12 2014 - 06:38 PM, said:

uhh personally that's a thing I'd call cheating...
The devs don't crack down on ini modifications. At least he doesn't use [censored] to replace the textures on all mechs with glowing, florescent orange textures.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users