HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Future Proofing

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dagon

Dagon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Locationunder the wreckage

Posted October 11 2014 - 10:16 AM

I'd feel a lot better if we were able to create our own servers and impliment the AI there. Even if the matchmaking, support, and population crumble, we'd still be able to play with friends or on our own, long after the game fades.

#2 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted October 11 2014 - 11:20 AM

Get in line behind the 200 people who have suggested this before you and the other hundreds who all wish we had custom servers for the past 2 years.

Posted Image

#3 Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSic Transit

Posted October 11 2014 - 11:34 AM

#4 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,889 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted October 11 2014 - 12:44 PM

View PostAmidatelion, on October 11 2014 - 11:34 AM, said:

Don't post this EVER again.

Posted Image

#5 Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSic Transit

Posted October 11 2014 - 01:03 PM

Hey! I stopped using the 10 minute ones!

#6 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted October 11 2014 - 03:47 PM

View Postnokari, on October 11 2014 - 11:20 AM, said:

Get in line behind the 200 people who have suggested this before you and the other hundreds who all wish we had custom servers for the past 2 years.

Just correcting something, custom servers are not the same as free community run servers, ADH's plan from the beginning was to have rentable servers for varying amounts of time, but they would be still in control of the hardware (in this case VM).  We started to see the start of this with the private clan servers, its just that for some reason it has been pushed back on the to do list.

Servers setup on our own personal computers for the sakes of playing the game were never going to be allowed and were halted way back in the closed beta stages.  Due to the nature of how the game communicates with ADH's home servers, I believe its termed Storm, if that communication was halted, the game would cease to function.
# while true; do echo "Post"; done

#7 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts
  • LocationCanterstomp, Mechquestria

Posted October 11 2014 - 04:18 PM

View PostAmidatelion, on October 11 2014 - 01:03 PM, said:

Hey! I stopped using the 10 minute ones!

The one second version is still too long.

Aspiring Professional Yolodriver

View PostAmidatelion, on May 24 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

View Postcomic_sans, on October 31 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

SS, you wanna fight me_  I'm druuuuuunk_____ You could maybe win_!!

#8 Massive_Assailant_Stingray

Massive_Assailant_Stingray

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted October 11 2014 - 04:42 PM

I think not allowing player owned servers is extremely foolish. ADH can come up with any "reason" they want, but I doubt they can come up with anything that doesn't equate to an overall stubborness on their part. How you can even dream of running such a closed platform in todays climate is beyond me.

Community run servers would be such a blessing in this game. Just being able to kick players, and choose/exclude maps from a rotation would make it well worth while.

#9 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted October 11 2014 - 05:39 PM

View PostMassive_Assailant_Stingray, on October 11 2014 - 04:42 PM, said:

Community run servers would be such a blessing in this game. Just being able to kick players, and choose/exclude maps from a rotation would make it well worth while.

You can do that now.  If you have the admin password, you can do all of what you are talking about.  Theres only a few people that have the admin password for the private/clan servers though.  If you were to rent a server, you would be granted that admin rights to it and you'd be able to do whatever you wanted with it until your rental time was up.

Like I said before, it stems from how the game was setup a long time ago to the reason why community hardware based servers would not be utilized, it may be foolish in your eyes, but it makes supporting the game on their end much easier when everything is under their control and you don't have to worry about some clown trying to run a server on a pentium 266 he got out of a dumpster.
# while true; do echo "Post"; done

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users