HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

is 4 gigs of ram enough for playing hawken_

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 angryhampster

angryhampster

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts
Posted October 13 2014 - 09:39 PM

everything in my computer is good.. but i only have 4 rams... could this be the reason why my FPS is so bad_

how crucial are rams when it comes to hawken.
    --[font=arial, sans-serif](◕_◕)    [/font]
Posted Image

#2 LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted October 13 2014 - 09:44 PM

4 should be enough, more is nice but not necessary. Low frames would be due to a slow CPU or old graphics card.

Posted Image

vR-Gaming

Raider Vids>>>Twitch Youtube<<<Raider Vids 2500mmr

Fuzzy Bunny Stats

#3 Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSic Transit

Posted October 13 2014 - 09:51 PM

8GB is generally what you want for any Unreal3 game. And Hawken is unoptimized as hell, so...

#4 dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationLegion

Posted October 13 2014 - 10:41 PM

Almost sure that is the reason. I have 8 and it would be nice to get 8 more so I could play on better settings.

#5 Hell_Diguner

Hell_Diguner

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted October 13 2014 - 10:59 PM

With tweaked ini's I'm running Hawken on WinXP 32bit, so technically the game can only run on 2gigs. That said, my framerate dips below 30fps when there's a lot of particles (explosions, heavy firefights).

#6 Dr_Freeze001

Dr_Freeze001

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • LocationBelgium, GMT+1

Posted October 13 2014 - 11:07 PM

As far as I'm aware, RAM (random access memory) is simply storage. More ram means that you can run more programs at once. If you can play hawken now, I am skeptical that more ram would make it run faster. what you need is more powerful ram, not more of it.

Think USB 2.0 vs USB 3.0, not a larger USB stick.

#7 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted October 13 2014 - 11:25 PM

4gb of ram is fine, more is nice but 4 is still plenty. your cpu and gpu are more important, as with other unreal engine games it's pretty cpu-intensive
Posted Image

#8 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted October 13 2014 - 11:31 PM

4 rams_  Like this_
Spoiler

As I said in my other post that was related to this.

The maximum amount of memory a 32 bit program can allocate in a 32-bit system is 2 gigs.  In a 64-bit OS it can go as high as 4 gigs under a special condition when compiled and cannot go any higher, so someone suggesting you should use 8 when theres 4 to 6 gigs that will never be used is funny.  There is no difference between having 4 gigs and having 16 exabytes (theoretical memory limit of 64 bit) when the program is a 32 bit process.

FPS, comes down to CPU speed, raw GPU power and system bus speeds between them (aka bottlenecking).  You can have the fastest graphics card in the world but if your motherboard doesn't utilize its speeds on the system bus you won't get the performance out of it.  Its like having a 2015 Hellcat but with the valet key where it has reduced engine power no matter how hard you have the throttle mashed to the floor.

On my system Hawken only uses right around 1 gig of memory MAX, I ran it fine during the closed betas on a system with only 2 gigs of memory, but much has changed since then, I'm pretty sure if others take a look at their memory usage when they are running Hawken, they won't show anything approaching 2 gigs in size.

Mostly increasing the amount of ram in your computer will only help you recover/switch between and run multiple applications at the same time, where you might have to wait for the memory to page to disk when the memory gets full if you didn't have enough of it free to use.
# while true; do echo "Post"; done

#9 RozerMahbub_

RozerMahbub_

fishy scout

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • LocationTorino,To-10125 ,italy

Posted October 14 2014 - 02:02 AM

4 GB ram is more than enough for play hawken in Ultra setting ....
Posted Image

Posted Image

I DON'T CARE

i want to tell you a true story , once upon a time everyone was a perfect pure NOOB ^_^

#10 1uster

1uster

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted October 14 2014 - 03:46 AM

View PostSS396, on October 13 2014 - 11:31 PM, said:

The maximum amount of memory a 32 bit program can allocate in a 32-bit system is 2 gigs.  In a 64-bit OS it can go as high as 4 gigs under a special condition when compiled and cannot go any higher, so someone suggesting you should use 8 when theres 4 to 6 gigs that will never be used is funny.  There is no difference between having 4 gigs and having 16 exabytes (theoretical memory limit of 64 bit) when the program is a 32 bit process.

Not 100% sure but the 2 gig limitation per process was a Win XP one.
Also having some spare RAM in system isn't hurting since you have other software running in parallel to Hawken which leads to swap file pushing in case of tight RAM capacity.

#11 dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationLegion

Posted October 14 2014 - 04:26 AM

I not an expert so Ive mistakenly intermingled photoshop with games there.. my bad :ph34r: BUT if you plan on doing some heavy video editing for example RAM would be handy indeed.

#12 zorin1

zorin1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted October 14 2014 - 04:39 AM

View PostSS396, on October 13 2014 - 11:31 PM, said:

32 Bit OS can access 2^32 = 4GB.  So on a 32 bit OS you don't need more than 4GB of RAM.  Some OS will use the extra Ram as Swap space.  Since Hawken is a 32 bit game, you don't need more than 4GB.  This will be much different when we start getting 64bit games.

#13 shosca

shosca

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted October 14 2014 - 04:50 AM

http://msdn.microsof...8(v=vs.85).aspx

User-mode virtual address space for each 32-bit process:   

If using 32 bit windows:
2 GB or 3GB with IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE set ( which is set by the compiler and i think you need the /3GB switch too)

If using 64 bit windows:
2 GB with IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE cleared (default) or 4 GB with IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE set

User-mode virtual address space for each 64-bit process:
32 bit windows is not applicable (duh.. :) )

8TB with IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE set (default)

and if using Win8.1 or greater 128TB

Edited by shosca, October 14 2014 - 05:15 AM.

#14 zorin1

zorin1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted October 14 2014 - 07:25 AM

I did not know that MS would cap that amount of memory that you can use.  I believe that I have Win 7 Home, so that means I can only use 8GB of memory.  Now is there a switch to allow it to use more_

#15 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted October 14 2014 - 07:27 AM

i have an old 4core Aspire dt with 4gig ram, and fx6800 card (not sure, but it's really subpar).
positively marvelous with Nepacaka's ini graphics/textures file tweak.
i think i can blame my 1052 mmr last year for playing on it the first year at 20-30fps before i discovered my problem.
possibly that and Jack Daniels... :)

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#16 shosca

shosca

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted October 14 2014 - 07:30 AM

View Postzorin1, on October 14 2014 - 07:25 AM, said:

I did not know that MS would cap that amount of memory that you can use.  I believe that I have Win 7 Home, so that means I can only use 8GB of memory.  Now is there a switch to allow it to use more_

if 64 bit, its 8TB not GB, and no, you don't need the switch

#17 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted October 14 2014 - 02:19 PM

View Postzorin1, on October 14 2014 - 04:39 AM, said:

32 Bit OS can access 2^32 = 4GB.  So on a 32 bit OS you don't need more than 4GB of RAM.

Just some more info, even if you have 4 gigs installed in a 32 bit OS, it doesn't see and use all of it.  The problem is the hardware addresses in the range from 3 to 4 gigs, that were designed to be there because they thought it would be out of bounds when they designed it years ago.  Some bios have a remap memory hole feature to allow the use of that extra gig, but I never was able to get it to work with one of my old machines and I'll I ended up with was blue screens on boot.

View Postzorin1, on October 14 2014 - 07:25 AM, said:

You are mixing up total ram for the OS, with maximum allocated ram per process.  The switches are for the linker when you compile the software.
# while true; do echo "Post"; done

#18 Alvizzei

Alvizzei

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted October 22 2014 - 12:08 AM

why does everybody assume angryhamster running on 32bit_ because i'm pretty sure he never post his complete rig detail in this thread. Well, aside from that, most current system (64bit) will run above 8gb depending on release version.
This is the list for Win 7 x64 :
  • Starter: 8GB
  • Home Basic: 8GB
  • Home Premium: 16GB
  • Professional: 192GB
  • Enterprise: 192GB
  • Ultimate: 192GB

To be sure, maybe you should post your system spec & your windows version. Because i think your problem is not the RAM. The minium req RAM for Hawken is 3Gb.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users