HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Add delete post to the original posters options.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Source_Mystic

Source_Mystic

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted October 15 2014 - 07:21 AM

Look I do not want to be a mod . I have contribited to seveeral fourms and I understand some of the problems
in keeping them going and being healthy. Trolls are the bane of any fourm. Typically  someone posts a good idea or somthing constructive, Then a troll comes  along and flames all over it .... or people post somthing totaly unrelated to the original post.  This causes people to stop reading a perfectly good thread.

MY IDEA IS. Give the origanal poster the option on the threads he or she starts to self regulate and deleat post that do not stay on topic or are just troll trying to derail a perfectly good thread.

Fourms are a lot of work but I would prune the bs off the threads that I create. I take ownership of my content and would like it to be seen and not s**t all over.

Edited by Source_Mystic, October 15 2014 - 07:22 AM.

#2 Akrium

Akrium

Mean Kitty

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted October 15 2014 - 07:26 AM

I'm sorry but that would be highly abusive and far from constructive.

What I would suggest instead is to report posts that you feel are coming across as bad to you. As that is the purpose of that option given to you on the forums. Sometimes things can be derailed a bit but not always in a bad way either. It is also the job of the OP to help guide people down the topic as well over the span of the topic. It isn't about just "listen to what I say and don't say anything I don't want to hear back."

Not that I am implying that this is the case, I am saying this all in a general sense.

#3 Source_Mystic

Source_Mystic

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted October 15 2014 - 07:47 AM

lf somone disagreed with me and it was on topic I would leave it. As far as what you said I am not posting  a complaint for a mod to deleat a post. It happends far to much. What kind of time you think I have. Could this be abused ... yes it could  but  that could be said about anything . I still stand by my idea, but I have one along the same lines. ADD A TROLL BUTTON.  If the post is insulting or unrelated to origanal posters idea the op can flag the message as troll worthy . With the troll button. all the troll worthy bs would be reviewed and deleated by a admin or mod. That would be nice if we lived in a ideal world ..... this would never happen . My idea is more realistic.

Edited by Source_Mystic, October 15 2014 - 07:51 AM.

#4 Arevizz

Arevizz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationYou may call me Aregon.

Posted October 15 2014 - 07:52 AM

View PostSource_Mystic, on October 15 2014 - 07:47 AM, said:

lf somone disagreed with me and it was on topic I would leave it. As far as what you said I am not posting  a complaint for a mod to deleat a post. It happends far to much. What kind of time you think I have. Could this be abused ... yes it could  but  that could be said about anything . I still stand by my idea, but I have one along the same lines. ADD A TROLL BUTTON.  If the post is insulting or unrelated to origanal posters idea. The op can flag the message as troll worthy . With the troll button. all the troll worthy bs would be reviewed and deleated by a admin or mod. That would be nice if we lived in a ideal world ..... this would never happen . My idea is more realistic.
There are no mods to do anything with trollers. But there was an incident for a good amount of weeks ago, where several accounts lost the right to speech for unknown reasons, mine included. But no official mods did that.

Edited by Arevizz, October 15 2014 - 07:52 AM.

#5 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts
  • LocationCanterstomp, Mechquestria

Posted October 15 2014 - 07:55 AM

lf somone disagreed with me and it was on topic I would leave it. As far as what you said I am not posting  a complaint for a mod to deleat a post. It happends far to much. What kind of time you think I have. Could this be abused ... yes it could  but  that could be said about anything . I still stand by my idea, but I have one along the same lines. ADD A TROLL BUTTON.  If the post is insulting or unrelated to origanal posters idea the op can flag the message as troll worthy . With the troll button. all the troll worthy bs would be reviewed and deleated by a admin or mod. That would be nice if we lived in a ideal world ..... this would never happen . My idea is more realistic.

You might not abuse that functions, but others would.

Adding a 'troll button' would only make the situation more messy .. because genuine trolls would be able to abuse it.

It's fine as it is. If someone is trying to derail a thread, report and ignore them. No further action on your part is necessary.

View PostArevizz, on October 15 2014 - 07:52 AM, said:

lf somone disagreed with me and it was on topic I would leave it. As far as what you said I am not posting  a complaint for a mod to deleat a post. It happends far to much. What kind of time you think I have. Could this be abused ... yes it could  but  that could be said about anything . I still stand by my idea, but I have one along the same lines. ADD A TROLL BUTTON.  If the post is insulting or unrelated to origanal posters idea. The op can flag the message as troll worthy . With the troll button. all the troll worthy bs would be reviewed and deleated by a admin or mod. That would be nice if we lived in a ideal world ..... this would never happen . My idea is more realistic.
There are no mods to do anything with trollers. But there was an incident for a good amount of weeks ago, where several accounts lost the right to speech for unknown reasons, mine included. But no official mods did that.

I've seen recent trolls take a whack from the banhammer.

Edited by TwentyFirstPilot, October 15 2014 - 07:56 AM.

Aspiring Professional Yolodriver

View PostAmidatelion, on May 24 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

View Postcomic_sans, on October 31 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

SS, you wanna fight me_  I'm druuuuuunk_____ You could maybe win_!!

#6 Source_Mystic

Source_Mystic

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted October 15 2014 - 07:58 AM

I could not acess the forms for like a month .... And the lack of mods is the reason we should self regulate our own post. If somone abuses this people would just stop posting content on their threads. Even that self reagulates and corrects the problem of abuse of deleating perfectly good post that are on topic . If they abused it they would ailanate themselfs.

Edited by Source_Mystic, October 15 2014 - 08:00 AM.

#7 Akrium

Akrium

Mean Kitty

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted October 15 2014 - 07:58 AM

Again the troll button is the report button. This is already added to the forums as a feature.

#8 JukeBarzel

JukeBarzel

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Locationוירג'יניה

Posted October 15 2014 - 08:03 AM

or...
an 'Ignore All Posts from this member' button_
How about a 'DisLike' red button next to that green one in the corner_

of course, we've been waiting for one on FB for nearly a decade now :D

Posted Image

Make me happy. Just give me something big and nasty, then let me take it out and blow up Stuff with it.

#9 Akrium

Akrium

Mean Kitty

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted October 15 2014 - 08:11 AM

Actually there is an Ignore all posts option.

What you need to do to navigate to it is simply click on your Name next to the notifications icon at the top. At the bottom right is the "Manage Ignore Prefs" option. Click on it and explore a new world with less trolls.

#10 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted October 15 2014 - 02:38 PM

View PostTwentyFirstPilot, on October 15 2014 - 07:55 AM, said:

View PostArevizz, on October 15 2014 - 07:52 AM, said:

I've seen recent trolls take a whack from the banhammer.

Uh, no.  Like Arevizz said, what you saw was not anyone official (employed by MTR or ADH) doing any policing.  The problem is are the duties the volunteers were brought online to help with being abused and overreached.
# while true; do echo "Post"; done

#11 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationIn Space's Solemn Silence

Posted October 15 2014 - 03:52 PM

View PostSource_Mystic, on October 15 2014 - 07:21 AM, said:

Look I do not want to be a mod . I have contribited to seveeral fourms and I understand some of the problems
in keeping them going and being healthy. Trolls are the bane of any fourm. Typically  someone posts a good idea or somthing constructive, Then a troll comes  along and flames all over it .... or people post somthing totaly unrelated to the original post.  This causes people to stop reading a perfectly good thread.

MY IDEA IS. Give the origanal poster the option on the threads he or she starts to self regulate and deleat post that do not stay on topic or are just troll trying to derail a perfectly good thread.

Fourms are a lot of work but I would prune the bs off the threads that I create. I take ownership of my content and would like it to be seen and not s**t all over.

Two key ideas here are respect and free speech.

1) You must respect ideas as they are given.
2) Deleting, no matter how convenient, can turn into a rather '1984'-ish scenario, especially on the Internet.

And another thing:

View PostJukeBarzel, on October 15 2014 - 08:03 AM, said:

an 'Ignore All Posts from this member' button_

View PostAkrium, on October 15 2014 - 08:11 AM, said:

What you need to do to navigate to it is simply click on your Name next to the notifications icon at the top. At the bottom right is the "Manage Ignore Prefs" option. Click on it and explore a new world with less trolls.

View PostAkrium, on October 15 2014 - 07:58 AM, said:

Again the troll button is the report button. This is already added to the forums as a feature.

Use these features.

I have the feeling I just handed you an axe towards me and anyone else I've observed you being, for the lack of a better term, 'brat-ish' at, but oh well, I probably should just block you and we can both exist in ignorant bliss of each other.

Edited by IronClamp, October 15 2014 - 05:03 PM.

"Or maybe we'll just have to go through you"

#12 Akrium

Akrium

Mean Kitty

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted October 15 2014 - 04:02 PM

Wait.. so since I was giving facts to what the forums currently have in place to the OP to solve his issue, exactly the way he asks for it to be resolved... I am a brat_

And in the case of the ignore option who wasn't the OP, I never even noticed it as an option for a year and a half before someone even told me it existed. Because I've yet to have any reason to add someone to my ignore list. So letting someone, who seems to be having issues with reading what others write, know how to find the thing he asked for is wrong as well and bratish_

I find this all.. interesting.

#13 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted October 15 2014 - 04:18 PM

I disagree with your opinion.

*Users post was deleted by Sylhiri*

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#14 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationIn Space's Solemn Silence

Posted October 15 2014 - 04:59 PM

View PostAkrium, on October 15 2014 - 04:02 PM, said:

Wait.. so since I was giving facts to what the forums currently have in place to the OP to solve his issue, exactly the way he asks for it to be resolved... I am a brat_

And in the case of the ignore option who wasn't the OP, I never even noticed it as an option for a year and a half before someone even told me it existed. Because I've yet to have any reason to add someone to my ignore list. So letting someone, who seems to be having issues with reading what others write, know how to find the thing he asked for is wrong as well and bratish_

I find this all.. interesting.

Sorry, the 'brat' bit was for Mystic, just to clarify.

I edited it for future viewers.

Edited by IronClamp, October 15 2014 - 05:03 PM.

"Or maybe we'll just have to go through you"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users