HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Close range reaper tactics - How you can beat those annoying scouts and raiders

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Jappards

Jappards

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted October 19 2014 - 07:09 AM

Note: This tactic almost never works with multiple enemies and isn't for beginners.

Have you ever had close encounters with other mechs like the scout or the raider as a reaper that you survived without running_ No_ Here are some close range reaper tactics to kill that annoying raider or scout.

Because the scope is for long range, you won't need the scope in this tutorial.

Equipment
You will need this equipment for your reaper(all exept the fuel converter are starter items and weapons):
primary: AM-SAR
secondary: KE-SABOT
items: any Detonator
internals: any fuel converter

Now that we have the equipment out of the way we can look at the tactics.

Have you ever noticed that when you left click a lot(button mashing) the AM-SAR has a near fully automatic effect_ That is what we use that to kill those mechs, but it only deals a small amount of damage that way, but every bit helps. You also have the KE-SABOT, which you can use to fire a large burst, but these two weapons should be used together to get a large amount of DPS.

When ever you encounter an enemy, try to move as much as possible but stil keep firing at the enemy, if that enemy is a type B or C, use the detonator to get some armor away. If it is a Raider, keep him at mid range where your AM-SAR works best and use that precision overdrive. Only use the precision overdrive against raiders.

If you encounter a group of enemies, run away until you reached a safe distance, often only 1 enemy will follow you(often a raider or a predator), wich you can safely kill with these tactics, if it is a group following you, try to reach your allies.

Using this tactic helped me kill a lot against individual enemies sneaking up on me, like infiltrators, I hope you will too.

Edited by Jappards, October 19 2014 - 07:10 AM.

#2 DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted October 19 2014 - 07:29 AM

Tutorial by a player who joined the forums 6 days ago. Seems legit :D

Edited by DerMax, October 19 2014 - 07:29 AM.

#3 Siamenis

Siamenis

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Locationinvading Zion

Posted October 19 2014 - 07:51 AM

DerMax, on October 19 2014 - 07:29 AM, said:

Why not_ They may have been playing a lot, and you can learn quite quickly strategies for dealing with certain types of mechs in a certain type of mech. For all we know, they may have been playing Reaper only.

One question to the OP though: why use precision overdrive only against Raiders_ The hit boxes of medium mechs are larger than those of As, and are therefore easier to hit at close ranges without the ability with good aiming. If anything, I'd say exactly the opposite, use the ability when going against A mechs, provided your aim is adequate.
Posted Image

#4 Jappards

Jappards

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted October 19 2014 - 07:58 AM

I played some time before I got into the forums, but I tested this tactic a lot of times and usually it works.

#5 ReachH

ReachH

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted October 19 2014 - 08:46 AM

The easiest way is just to go kill them.

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on October 23 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Development happens.

Posted Image

#6 Jappards

Jappards

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted October 19 2014 - 09:01 AM

Siamenis, on October 19 2014 - 07:51 AM, said:

Why not_ They may have been playing a lot, and you can learn quite quickly strategies for dealing with certain types of mechs in a certain type of mech. For all we know, they may have been playing Reaper only.

One question to the OP though: why use precision overdrive only against Raiders_ The hit boxes of medium mechs are larger than those of As, and are therefore easier to hit at close ranges without the ability with good aiming. If anything, I'd say exactly the opposite, use the ability when going against A mechs, provided your aim is adequate.

Because you can't allow Raiders to reach close range. Ever.

#7 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationIn Space's Solemn Silence

Posted October 19 2014 - 09:30 AM

Probably one of those players who played the game for two years, then joined the forums.
Which is my problem, I joined in way to fuzzy bunny early.

"Or maybe we'll just have to go through you"

#8 ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted October 19 2014 - 10:09 AM

Ahem.
https://community.pl...at-scout-guide/

The above tutorial is a little light, and essentially says "shoot them as much as possible while avoiding as much damage as possible."

Which is really the object of the game. That internal/weapons setup works relatively well, though I find the slug to be far more effective- and it should be pointed out that the use of orbs once getting a little distance is a much more effective way to play the reaper. (Expect scouts to try and push you off, and run an extractor to get as much as possible.) The timing of the slug and sabot are very similar, and if you're hot under fire, you want to spend as much time avoiding it as possible, and exiting your frantic dodging/cover for as short a time as possible is a style best suited to the slug/sabot combo. If you're fighting anything larger than an A class, use your speed to control the engagement distance and start shooting them from mid to long range.

Additionally, there's no reason to not use your ability against mechs that aren't the raider.

Edited by ticklemyiguana, October 19 2014 - 10:15 AM.

Posted Image

#9 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted October 19 2014 - 10:40 AM

Double pump death-volleys with Slug & Sabot work on everything--especially Scouts (2 or 3) and Raiders (3 or 4). Raider at close range is a dead Raider. You can run circles around him and rip him to pieces.
AMSAR is close to mid-range, not nearly as universally devastating and useless when ranged hit-scan sniping.
As mentioned previously: KEEP MOVING, and hit what you aim at. Accuracy is usually what wins any chase-down and/or CQC engagement. You miss, you die.
:)

p.s.: if you check my herokuapp, you'll see i have much experience on the "die" part. :D

Edited by EM1O, October 19 2014 - 10:48 AM.

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#10 ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted October 19 2014 - 12:04 PM

EM1O, on October 19 2014 - 10:40 AM, said:

p.s.: if you check my herokuapp, you'll see i have much experience on the "die" part. :D

lol Carey Hunt
Posted Image

#11 Rei

Rei

Hammertime!

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationMore like... HammeredTime

Posted October 19 2014 - 01:00 PM

The only way to win is if you severely outplay them by making them miss their shots and you not missing yours at all. Otherwise it's heavily in their favor due to better dps and easier for them to hit things close range.

My only advice is actually to stay as close as possible, it's actually harder to hit you if you're moving in their face and around them the whole time. That and if they do hit you with a TOW they hurt themselves too.
!HAMMERTIME
~「TWITTER」~「STREAM」~「STREAMING GUIDE」~ Sharpshooter is fair and balanced
Posted Image

#12 Milithistorian

Milithistorian

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted October 19 2014 - 07:53 PM

Personally, I would recommend using the RPR here, but that's just me.
Also, aren't deflectors basically mandatory for this kind of thing_
Military Historian, Comedian(Master's in Puns)
Find me most anywhere as Milithistorian or something of the sort.

Yeah. Best sig ever, I know.

#13 Skitzo1d

Skitzo1d

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted October 20 2014 - 10:48 AM

View PostRei, on October 19 2014 - 01:00 PM, said:

The only way to win is if you severely outplay them by making them miss their shots and you not missing yours at all. Otherwise it's heavily in their favor due to better dps and easier for them to hit things close range.

My only advice is actually to stay as close as possible, it's actually harder to hit you if you're moving in their face and around them the whole time. That and if they do hit you with a TOW they hurt themselves too.

I would listen to this guys advice on the reaper, he is probably the 2nd best reaper pilot there is, second to me of course :).

Fred is sad hes not like the other robots

Posted Image

[12:43] <@ThirdEyE> skitzo1d = worst reaper NA

#14 MaNia_C

MaNia_C

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted October 20 2014 - 12:13 PM

I've never ever addressed my view on the subject of reaper piloting..and i probably won't ever do it. I just wish that there would be some way to play with low ping against our NA colleagues. They certainly dish out the term "best" and "2nd best" in such a casual manner..

#15 AlphaPanzer01

AlphaPanzer01

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationHồ Chí Minh city, VietNam

Posted October 20 2014 - 06:55 PM

well, my advice: a near-stop at a moment to shoot the Ke-Sabot at their face, then quick dodge. that's how I win fights ;)
oh, and I sometimes used it in 1v2 fights, but have to ultilize a cover in open area (like those AA in Bazaar__)
For VietNam!!!!

#16 PoopSlinger

PoopSlinger

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationWestern Wisconsin

Posted October 22 2014 - 06:29 AM

LOL beating a raider in a reaper. The only tactic you should use if a raider is on the other team is drop a scanner.  If a raider appears on it sneak away to a group of teammates.  Almost any raider pilot will press f and come barreling down on you slinging corsair bombs.  If its Crafty he'll be spittin eoc at your face too and you'll be ded.

The only 1v1 reaper vs raider tactic should be sneak away to hide behind your crew.

#17 DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted October 23 2014 - 09:36 AM

The only Reaper tactic for beating Scouts and Raiders I know of is this: be 150+ meters away from them at all times.

#18 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted October 23 2014 - 09:52 AM

View PostSkitzo1d, on October 20 2014 - 10:48 AM, said:

he is probably the 2nd best reaper pilot there is, second to me of course :).

oh give me a break ...

Posted Image

#19 Rei

Rei

Hammertime!

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationMore like... HammeredTime

Posted October 24 2014 - 03:05 PM

View PostSkitzo1d, on October 20 2014 - 10:48 AM, said:

View PostRei, on October 19 2014 - 01:00 PM, said:

I would listen to this guys advice on the reaper, he is probably the 2nd best reaper pilot there is, second to me of course :).
Man this guy lol.

Generally your loadout for reaper will be
Slug
Repair kit MK2/3
and then your options of

Shield MK2/1
Scanner MK2/1

You generally don't want to run things like detonators since that requires you to be close to use, and generally you fight mid-long range in a reaper. You don't want to build yourself around short ranged dueling, you want to excel at what your mech is good at instead of trying to patch up it's weaknesses, because then it won't be as good at doing everything else.

Edited by Rei, October 24 2014 - 03:07 PM.

!HAMMERTIME
~「TWITTER」~「STREAM」~「STREAMING GUIDE」~ Sharpshooter is fair and balanced
Posted Image

#20 Jappards

Jappards

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted October 24 2014 - 03:58 PM

I am able to suicide kill an incinerator using a reaper and I am not even exxaggerating. The player I killed found it very interesting that I could do that much damage to him in a quite short time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users