HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

I hate aimbots and wallhacks

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted October 28 2014 - 05:05 AM

View PostAkrium, on October 28 2014 - 04:48 AM, said:

View PostDerMax, on October 28 2014 - 01:55 AM, said:

From what I remember from our tests, steps become completely silent two dodges away (or a little bit more than that). You can't hear them from far away, no matter what headset you have.

There are programs for sound cards out there to pull that noise from quite some distance and make it even more clear. Such as the higher end sound blaster cards. They actually added a program to enhance the sound of steps and things like that for gamers to give them an edge.

I find it half cheating in my mind, but sound card companies had to do something to stay relevant it would seem. Since on board sound cards have really done a good job for quite some time.

No, not in Hawken. The steps seem to be programmed to become silent at a certain distance — you won't hear anything past that point regardless of your sound system.

Edited by DerMax, October 28 2014 - 05:06 AM.

#22 Akrium

Akrium

Mean Kitty

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted October 28 2014 - 05:40 AM

View PostDerMax, on October 28 2014 - 05:05 AM, said:

View PostAkrium, on October 28 2014 - 04:48 AM, said:

View PostDerMax, on October 28 2014 - 01:55 AM, said:

From what I remember from our tests, steps become completely silent two dodges away (or a little bit more than that). You can't hear them from far away, no matter what headset you have.

There are programs for sound cards out there to pull that noise from quite some distance and make it even more clear. Such as the higher end sound blaster cards. They actually added a program to enhance the sound of steps and things like that for gamers to give them an edge.

I find it half cheating in my mind, but sound card companies had to do something to stay relevant it would seem. Since on board sound cards have really done a good job for quite some time.

No, not in Hawken. The steps seem to be programmed to become silent at a certain distance — you won't hear anything past that point regardless of your sound system.

Positive_ As the way the sound cards worked was they specifically would grossly increase those sounds. No way the sounds could just be super low or muddled in with other sounds at that point_ Basically, unless someone has one of those cards and says so.. I cannot fully be positive that is the case that it does cut off at X distance. As to the majority of players, we don't use those programs.

Or if a dev comes on and says, yeah it cuts off at X distance. I would obviously believe that as well.

#23 StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted October 28 2014 - 05:51 AM

As a person with an audio engineering background and years of recording studio experience, I'd be hard pressed to believe that any sound card could be designed to select specific sound files within game code and "enhance" them.  I'm not saying it's not possible... just that it I would find that highly implausible.  How on earth is a sound card going to know which sound file is "footsteps", or be able to tell the difference between that sound and any other that falls in the same range_

What is far, far more likely is that the drivers for the cards came with settings that had a filter which sets a dynamic EQ that boosts the range where a "footstep" type sound would normally fall.  In that more likely event, this would provide little benefit in Hawken because the footstep sounds are that of a metal stomp/clunk, which is several kHz lower than a human footstep sound.

#24 Akrium

Akrium

Mean Kitty

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted October 28 2014 - 05:58 AM

http://www.custompcr...review/16668/3/

Semi explained about mid page. Kinda just glossed over as it is a general review.

#25 StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted October 28 2014 - 06:00 AM

View PostAkrium, on October 28 2014 - 05:58 AM, said:

http://www.custompcr...review/16668/3/

Semi explained about mid page. Kinda just glossed over as it is a general review.

Ah, well, if that guy is correct, then my above guess is right on.  Thanks.

#26 Akrium

Akrium

Mean Kitty

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted October 28 2014 - 06:03 AM

Yeah it doesn't directly pull footstep sounds but in general works along the lines of working within the range that typical footstep sounds are produced and it is stupidly enhanced while other sounds are stupidly reduced.

Not the best sound experience in the world, but can give quite the tactical advantage either way. Along the same lines as why a lot of people play with minimum graphical options turned on. To just try and get the best little advantage they can get over all.

#27 Zaxik

Zaxik

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • LocationPrague, Czech republic

Posted October 28 2014 - 06:35 AM

I personally kinda hate how important footsteps are in Hawken. My headphones got broken a while ago and I'm forced to play with my old 5.1 repros, I cannot hear any footsteps at all and I get ambushed much more often than before :ph34r:
Got few Hawken vids here on my YT.

#28 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted October 28 2014 - 07:58 AM

just sitting and listening, you can hear stompy mechs coming soon enough to ricochet flak, bouncy ball a grenade, or wall-smack TOW splash a mech and snuff it without ever seeing it.
and yes, this will occasionally get you hackused.
:D

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#29 StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted October 28 2014 - 11:03 AM

^Yup, that and just plain old predictive logic and good timing.  "You F'ing hit me with that TOW missile the very second I stepped out from behind that wall... from 400' away.  That's impossible!"

Perhaps some people need to look up the definition of "impossible".  I'm not a great player by any stretch of the imagination - but after so many hours of playing this game, memorizing the maps, seeing it all a thousand times... it sometimes becomes instinctively obvious to know where and when to place your weapons fire.

I don't want this to be seen as a rebuttal against the very real existence of cheaters (notice I won't call them hackers, because they didn't do a thing but click on "yes" and "ok" in an installation wizard).  I watched a guy the other night who's aimbot and wallhack kept him firing his weapons at walls.

#30 hotdoginspector

hotdoginspector

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted October 28 2014 - 01:16 PM

Post his name :D
Posted Image

I will if you ask me in a sexy voice over Skype.

#31 TwentyFirstPilot

TwentyFirstPilot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • LocationCanterstomp, Mechquestria

Posted October 28 2014 - 01:20 PM

View Posthotdoginspector, on October 28 2014 - 01:16 PM, said:

Post his name :D

Calling out other players is a bannable offense.

Aspiring Professional Yolodriver

View PostAmidatelion, on May 24 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

Yeah, but dude, we are at 1750. As much as we would like to be Professional Yolodrivers like you [Meraple] and Lightangel112, we're not there yet. It's something to aspire to, sure, but there's a lot of ground to cover.

View Postcomic_sans, on October 31 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

SS, you wanna fight me_  I'm druuuuuunk_____ You could maybe win_!!

#32 alpha78

alpha78

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationProsk

Posted October 29 2014 - 03:50 AM

I understand all of what people are saying to try and suggest that it's just a good player.  Again, I've been playing since 2012 and I know the tricks, features, skill level of some players etc.  It's not one thing you can point to and say "yep, they're using a cheat".  It's something you get used to knowing.  There's predictive play and then there's highly suspicious behavior.  

The player I originally posted about wasn't a good player.  That's one of the sure fire tells.  He did stupid things from a positioning standpoint and you could tell he wasn't naturally good.  So when you see someone like that who magically is able to track you while dodging all over the place without missing a shot and then you see his mech turned and tracking you through walls, it's pretty clear what's going on.

There was a SS the other day using an aimbot.  Everyone in chat knew it and called him out.  You could see in killcam the snapping from player to player.  1v1 he sucked.  Just stood in one place firing while you're dodging around.  Problem is, with an aimbot, the dodging skills are useless because they're just clicking.  They don't have to predict where you're going to be.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users