HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Killstreaks

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Popi89ferezzx

Popi89ferezzx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 05:56 PM

When you get a certain ammount of kills you should be able to use a killstreak ( such as increased fire rate for 10 seconds or health regen every 10 seconds by 30 hp

#2 bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Defender of Pork Products

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationUsually hanging out in #spawn

Posted October 28 2012 - 08:39 PM

Strongly disagree.  This isn't a console game where weird buffs like that are considered normal.

(I don't mean to necro threads, I'm just almost always running behind.  My apologies)

Posted ImageFollower of Wheaton's Law, #spawn camper, test dummy for science, and being one of "those guys" <3

Youtube: thebaconavenger - Twitch/Twitter: bacon_avenger

System specs: i5 2500k // Asus P8Z68-V // eVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked // 16 GB 1600 DDR3
New to siege_  Give Bacon's Guide to Siege Mode a watch

#3 marshalade

marshalade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • LocationGasland, Pa, USA

Posted October 28 2012 - 08:55 PM

I strongly disagree as well. No, this is not Call of Duty.

Posted Image
A tidal wave of marshalade...

#4 gunhe4d

gunhe4d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 09:04 PM

I'll chime in and shoot this one down as well, we already get customizable perks.

#5 Zeshi

Zeshi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 10:48 PM

I don't think it would ruin the game, but i would rather not have them. If your ahead you usually dont need help getting more ahead.
Posted Image

#6 Nitris

Nitris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 10:54 PM

No. Giving yet another advantage to someone who is already dominating for one reason or another is stupid and bad game design.
Don't fight back. Fight forward.

#7 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted October 28 2012 - 11:06 PM

I'll agree only if the server announces M-M-M-M-MONSTER KILL!!!! and paints the streak player on everyone's radar along with some high-visibility visual effect during the streak to counter-balance their momentary hax.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#8 BeefC4ke

BeefC4ke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 11:14 PM

I disagree with the OP.

It might be nice to have higher XP bonuses for kill streaks though.
/Merf-isms - What will he come up with next_

dirtnapgaming.com

#9 Avlaen

Avlaen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted October 29 2012 - 01:41 AM

Disagree makes no sence why would my mech get a new ability after i killed x people, also if im on a killstreak do you realy need more help_
Furry gamer/nerd girl who loves most sci fi and fantasy stuff with a special love for the 40k universe.

#10 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 04:12 AM

Urgh, no.

The game is already showing signs of being one that gifts buff upon buff upon buff to the players that need them the least thus widening the gap between new and experienced players via unnecessary artificial means* (the gap, by virtue of game smarts, will be wide enough as it is); the game doesn't need to sell its entire soul to Beelzebub.

* Carrot-chasing does not have to equal buff-chasing.  (RO2 did this [gave buffs to experienced players] and TWI have never really recovered from the steamrollering they took in part because of this decision, even after trying to level the playing field with a game mode that largely ignored the 'XP = Buffs' mechanic.)

#11 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted October 29 2012 - 04:34 AM

In fairness, RO2 already had a steep enough uphill climb with the difficulty level (artificially enhanced, in single-player and multiplayer servers that use them, by bots that seem to be incompetent morons when they're on your side, and crack shots with ironsights when they're wearing the other uniform) that it was never going to achieve breakout success. Unless you know the maps well, have strong situational awareness, and have teammates with a reasonable amount of teamwork skill and experience in the game, it's very difficult to excel without leaving yourself vulnerable to far too many lines of fire (or one bored sniper)... especially if it's an area-capture gametype.

Adding the buffs just greased the difficulty curve. But I would've completely ragequit RO2 forever if people started getting killstreak buffs for machinegunning my team from extreme range at random through smoke grenades (to hinder sniping on the MG's position).
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#12 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 05:04 AM

RO2 does indeed have a steep enough learning curve, one far steeper than Hawken demands, and that curve was made all the more difficult for new players because of the artificial buffs.  Not only was it a tough climb when the game was released but the curve grew steeper and steeper as the game aged as the player base grew in experience.  (This is an entirely natural and expected process but the presence of the XP-related buffs added an entirely unnatural element to it.)  The game [RO2] is now at a state where any new players seeking to join the game will be facing off against Highly Decorated super-soldiers up the wazoo; the game has never been harder for a new player to break into.

My concern is that F2P games rely on a steady flow of new blood to keep the model ticking over and the kind of players that see a vanguard of puffed up, artificially enhanced opposition as a challenge to overcome are somewhat rare.  I don’t believe that Hawken is doing itself any favours in this regard.  By all means dangle that carrot, it works, but the most successful of F2P games today manage to entice and lure money out of people without resorting to offering straight buffs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users