HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

If you hate Siege Titan map...

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 NC37

NC37

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 01:51 AM

Reply! Or even if you love it say why. Only way the devs will know!

I really wanted to like it. Gave it quite a few rounds. I get the concept of vertical space being used. But sorry I just don't feel it translates well for the gametype. The jump pads are a bit too finicky. Had more often than not rushed to a pad expecting it to jump when it didn't because I was maybe a hair off. Besides that I always feel there is a lot of the level I'm missing and some sections seem like wasted space with objective based gameplay.

Also too easy to rain down fire on targets from range as well as turtling on the AA tower with heavy mechs. I know I did both as well as had it done to me. The limitations in how high your mech can look do come into play. The fun factor on the map was very low in comparison to the Sahara map.

Now as a DM map_ Yeah it has potential. It is fast, confined spaces, and would work for a lot of players. It also has good potential as a CTF type map. Flags on bottom with routes through bottom and over top. Plenty of defense points and flag runner escape paths.

Vertical space maps can work. I've seen it done in UT99 and others. They are a nice change but if there is a voting feature I can guarantee players will more often not vote for it unless they are really bored. This comes from over a decade of experience in FPS titles.

#2 Kaffein

Kaffein

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 07:39 AM

Played this for at least 1.5 hours last night, and that was only 2 rounds...

This is WAY too long.   30 minutes max for a round would have been OK, it just seemed like it dragged on forever.

#3 Juodvarnis

Juodvarnis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted October 27 2012 - 07:41 AM

I simply don't like the idea of launch pads, feel out of place to me.

Also my fps drops heavily on this map. My fps is the highest on Sahara.

Edit: nevermind, i mistook it for the missile mode, sorry ^_^

Edited by Juodvarnis, October 27 2012 - 07:46 AM.

Posted Image
*sigh*

#4 SGRock

SGRock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted October 27 2012 - 07:43 AM

Love the map.
Love the Siege game type.

Adjustments needed:
Jump pads need a wider acceptable entry angle.
Block off a few of the very high sniper perches so they cannot see the energy points.

Big change needed:
ADD MORE SIEGE SERVERS!!!!!
Occupation:  Old guy (do it long enough and you get really good at it)

Super cool jpg goes here>

#5 BeefC4ke

BeefC4ke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 07:44 AM

I feel like the area around the AA gun in too confined but I'm also having to pilot a B class atm to get the weapons I want so that might have something to do with it.
/Merf-isms - What will he come up with next_

dirtnapgaming.com

#6 ItsThatGuy

ItsThatGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 10:45 AM

+1

View PostNC37, on October 27 2012 - 01:51 AM, said:

I really wanted to like it. Gave it quite a few rounds. I get the concept of vertical space being used. But sorry I just don't feel it translates well for the gametype. The jump pads are a bit too finicky.

Now as a DM map_ Yeah it has potential. It is fast, confined spaces, and would work for a lot of players. It also has good potential as a CTF type map. Flags on bottom with routes through bottom and over top. Plenty of defense points and flag runner escape paths.

I'd also like to say this is a very frustrating level for small jumpjet maneuvers and just general mobility.

There is lots of small geometry that you think you can stand on but you cant. There are gaps that I think I can clear with jumpjets but can't. There are weird little double hops that you have to do to be able to get up to a sniping ledge or at least I think it's supposed to be a sniping ledge. I think the design should be more clear in letting players know if that's a spot I'm supposed to go to or not. If I'm supposed to stand there and snipe, give me a proper ramp instead of making me do a boring hop-to-lower-ledge-then-up-to-top maneuver.

Is the AA turret platform supposed to be reachable with a full jumpjet_ I see many players attempting it but failing due to blocking attenas and other misc geometry. It should have a ramp and be a little more friendly to jumpjets.

The level already has the Hawken art style of a dense chaotic urban setting, so I think there are many layout improvements and small geometry changes to improve the level. The semi-working jump pads just adds to the lack of mobility I feel on this level.

Overall I do think the level has potential and I like that they're at least doing a map with a very different layout and play style. Radar doesn't help nearly as much when they're below or above you!

#7 NotKjell

NotKjell

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 10:55 AM

Aside from an alpha map, my favorite map thus far. The jump pads are a bit finicky but it's also beta and even now I've rarely had problems with them. As far as people feeling that the map is misleading as far as what jumps are possible, I feel that's your fault for overestimating your own jump height/length.

One complaint though on the AA turret for both maps - the collision on the top rails IS weird. It's near impossible to fire a HEAT cannon down at someone, it always ends up hitting the rails (and thus yourself). Firing up can be much the same, I've had grenades bounce off of nothing.

Posted Image

High-level Hawken discussion and play wednesdays at 7:00 PST http://www.twitch.tv/thecockpit

#8 ThePirateKing

ThePirateKing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 11:05 AM

Not a huge fan of this map. The way everything isn't level makes my mech repeatedly get caught on things, my fps drops on this map, and the launch pad thingies are so wonky. Sometimes I'll use one, get stuck on the above platform, and get shot back down. It'd be nice to be able to use your thrusters to maneuver your trajectory, but it seems like the only launch pad that lets you do that is the one that shoots you right up to the top middle structure.

As for the game mode, it does drag a bit, and the capturing the Anti-Air bit is a little confusing. Maybe shorten the number of missles needed to win, and make it more of a tug-of-war type thing to see who can hold on to anti air the longest for that period of time.

#9 Nitris

Nitris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 11:22 AM

I am fond of this map, though will admit I think it needs a few tweaks here and there.
Yes there are things that my mech gets caught on that get frustrating, and there are invisible things my grenades rebound off and HEAT cannon impact on, but these are minor things and I have learned to avoid them.
Don't fight back. Fight forward.

#10 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 11:35 AM

I love this map for siege

#11 h0rus

h0rus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 12:35 PM

The real mess is when u have to take controll of the aa, there are only two way to get it: Dying passing through the main street (Snipers.. snipers everywhere!) or taking them behind in enemy's base. This map is probably the smallest, i know.. works "vertically" but in truth there are only 3 main levels :S I fell like a mouse in a cage when i try to maneuver! I would like more passages, tunnell (not tight like those we have now)

i t a l i a n s do it b e t t e r

#12 AC273

AC273

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 02:13 PM

I love the game mode.  I noticed the game times dropped as the teams figured out how to work the map to win.   If you played in a noob group, then the game took a long time as people were not collecting energy or taking the anti air turret properly.   I think the game is fine as is, but expanding it would be even more fun.  Maybe two anit air turrets, or a single energy unit so you have to work as a team to get energy_   Just some thoughts on additional siege maps.   So far loving this game type!   (But I prefer capture/defend games over simple deathmatches.  Deathmatches get old fast.)

#13 Novacaptain

Novacaptain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 02:25 PM

I really don't like Titan. Mostly because i'm either being point-blank assaulted by some A-class mech with twice my DPS or falling into a pit where I might just as well kill myself before it starts raining grenades.

I guess it's an acquired taste. I prefer wide open spaces with rockets and rifles echoing in the distance. flank, provide cover, divide and conquer!

Alleys is also a bit claustrophobic but at least you can walk more sensibly around the map rather than having to jump around and creep through holes like a fuzzy bunny.

#14 catsuit

catsuit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 02:48 PM

I like it!  It can be frustrating but once you figure out how to navigate the jump pads, its super satisfying to come flying up from the bottom and send a TOW at the people guarding the AA.  It also provides an opportunity for a team that is slower at collecting energy to try to focus on holding the AA.

#15 Ninjaman999

Ninjaman999

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 02:56 PM

I have to admit, at first, I disliked the verticality and launchpads but after a few rounds, I noticed how fun they are, how effective a escape tools launch pads are, how more cautious you have to be and more vertically aware of getting jumped and ambushed from above, etc.
It has a different dynbamic that makes it awesome once you get the hang of it :D
Then again, who doesent love unleashing a barrage of death as you fly onto the center of the maps roof_ :D

Edited by Ninjaman999, October 29 2012 - 02:57 PM.

#16 Bea5t

Bea5t

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationCologne, Germany

Posted October 30 2012 - 03:41 AM

Confused at the start, but loving it, as i got to know the map.

#17 Metalo

Metalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 05:10 AM

titan is nice map , i am sure they have an even nicer version of it ready for open beta, like the ones they use on trailers

hawken  definatelly is worth a video card upgrade if they release the high res - high detail maps

i will go for gtx 660 which is affordable around 200 euro and has very good performance

#18 Irongut

Irongut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationGlasgow, UK

Posted October 30 2012 - 05:10 AM

I really dislike Titan and it's putting me off Alleys as well since they are similar. The faulty jump pads, lack of space, constantly getting caught on the scenery and the fact that I can't tell on the radar whether someone is above or below me make this map a nightmare for me.

Alleys is better but if I get it right after a match on Titan I quit. Too much of the same. I much prefer Sahara or Andromeda.

#19 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 05:59 AM

I tend to quit Titan games.  I like the idea of the map but in practice it feels cramped, soooo laggy (fps), jump pads often fail to function and most of the walls (and floor in many places, esp. on ramps) seem to be coated in contact resin.  In Siege mode the map doesn't work so well IMO; it's too easy to defend.

#20 TerranCmdr

TerranCmdr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted October 30 2012 - 06:02 AM

Personally I haven't had any issues whatsoever with the jump pads.
Awesome Sentium logo in my avatar by erathic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users