HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Melee Attack

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Sparatan117

Sparatan117

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted October 27 2012 - 05:11 AM

You're in a firefight and you just killed two people. Your guns are now overheated (not a problem with the Assault class, but the Sharpshooter mech's overheats like a mother (censored) ) and you have to run around stuipd trying to get away while they cool down.

This, or you both get into a long drawn out duel and make it really hard to hit each other, and now both of you have overheated guns.

I wish there was some way to either kick or bash someone when they get up in your face. I've been reserving the TOW incase someone gets too close lately, as a glorified shotgun. It would be nice to shove someone off when they get too close or you don't have any means to shoot them.
Mess with the best, blow up like the rest >: )

#2 Clumsyninja23

Clumsyninja23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 03:51 PM

This would be nice. Not something too powerful to be used routinely in a fight, as the overheating is a huge mechanic (a really nice one in my opinion) in this game, but just *something* to do while you're waiting and running. Yeah, you can use your consumables, but they're, well, consumable. I don't know if a shove would work very well... Maybe a CQC tazer thing_ I don't know. Something though.

#3 Astrolis

Astrolis

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted October 27 2012 - 04:00 PM

I hope this doesn't get added to be honest.

This is not AC (Armored Core).

Its Hawken.

Any kind of melee attack would have to have an animation for it and if that is the case it will be super easy to avoid. Without the animation it would be just another (I hate them so) COD knife party.

You are in a mech that is designed to be a weapons platform. Not anything else. Think of what a terrible disadvantage the heavy mechs would have against a light mech that just runs circles around and melee them to death.

In summary

Adding melee would throw this entire game out of the very calculated balance between mech types and weapons that the developers are aiming for (pardon the pun).
Posted Image

#4 JuiceBox

JuiceBox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 04:12 PM

No.. The game is too fast paced and is simply not needed.

It was a no go in Alpha.. make it a no go now.

#5 OverWolf

OverWolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • LocationMy mech, kicking back with fine wine.

Posted October 27 2012 - 04:20 PM

View PostAstrolis, on October 27 2012 - 04:00 PM, said:

You are in a mech that is designed to be a weapons platform. Not anything else. Think of what a terrible disadvantage the heavy mechs would have against a light mech that just runs circles around and melee them to death.

I agree.

But on that same note, I'd be lying if I said melee didn't sound like a cool idea.  These things have to be considered, though.  The attack needs animation, since with how much mass and weight most mechs have (except for the light mech) you'd have to have a "wind-up" before the attack was thrown.  Light mechs don't have this problem like Class B and Class C mechs do and already sprint around as if they're on butter in the hands of a good pilot as it is.

Therefore, light mechs would be snapping out melee attacks, dancing around their Class B and Class C opponents whilst whittling down their health a lethal amount before they themselves could even unleash one blow let alone land it since you still have sidedashing to worry about.

Edited by OverWolf, October 27 2012 - 04:21 PM.

Posted Image
This is the Prelude to a New Revolution
Main Mech: Brawler; Secondary Mech: SharpShooter

#6 Astrolis

Astrolis

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted October 27 2012 - 04:44 PM

View PostOverWolf, on October 27 2012 - 04:20 PM, said:

View PostAstrolis, on October 27 2012 - 04:00 PM, said:

I agree.

But on that same note, I'd be lying if I said melee didn't sound like a cool idea.  These things have to be considered, though.  The attack needs animation, since with how much mass and weight most mechs have (except for the light mech) you'd have to have a "wind-up" before the attack was thrown.  Light mechs don't have this problem like Class B and Class C mechs do and already sprint around as if they're on butter in the hands of a good pilot as it is.

Therefore, light mechs would be snapping out melee attacks, dancing around their Class B and Class C opponents whilst whittling down their health a lethal amount before they themselves could even unleash one blow let alone land it since you still have sidedashing to worry about.

YUUUUPPPP
Posted Image

#7 NorseLoki

NorseLoki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 04:25 AM

I'm thinking some sort of offensive internal myself, like a kinetic sledgehammer of some sort with about 3 shots, need to be pretty much point blank. You would be giving up frags or turrets. But atleast you would have a counter to berserkers and pushy assaults. It should deal rather lackluster damage but blow the other mech away, stunning them for a couple seconds.

Note that C class mechs would not be stunned and not be knocked back very far. B class mechs would be stunned for a moderate duration this stun leaves them unable to use their weapons for 1.5-2 seconds (weapon arms knocked out of alignment) and their mech would slide backwards a couple meters. While A class mechs could be sent sprawling to the ground, several meters back and spend 2 seconds getting back up (unlike the b class, these would be unable to move for the duration of the stun, as they get knocked down instead of just having their arms misaligned.)

That would be neat.

Edited by NorseLoki, October 28 2012 - 04:29 AM.

#8 Faust

Faust

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted October 28 2012 - 04:37 AM

View PostNorseLoki, on October 28 2012 - 04:25 AM, said:

I'm thinking some sort of offensive internal myself, like a kinetic sledgehammer of some sort with about 3 shots, need to be pretty much point blank. You would be giving up frags or turrets. But atleast you would have a counter to berserkers and pushy assaults. It should deal rather lackluster damage but blow the other mech away, stunning them for a couple seconds.

Note that C class mechs would not be stunned and not be knocked back very far. B class mechs would be stunned for a moderate duration this stun leaves them unable to use their weapons for 1.5-2 seconds (weapon arms knocked out of alignment) and their mech would slide backwards a couple meters. While A class mechs could be sent sprawling to the ground, several meters back and spend 2 seconds getting back up (unlike the b class, these would be unable to move for the duration of the stun, as they get knocked down instead of just having their arms misaligned.)

That would be neat.

What you're suggesting is completely game breaking.  Really, a full two second stun for A class and not being able to move whatsoever or shoot_  The entire point of playing A class is to be quick on your feet.  I'm sure it would be neat if you were the guy not being stunned because it's basically a free kill.

#9 NorseLoki

NorseLoki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 05:06 AM

View PostFaust, on October 28 2012 - 04:37 AM, said:

View PostNorseLoki, on October 28 2012 - 04:25 AM, said:

That would be neat.

What you're suggesting is completely game breaking.  Really, a full two second stun for A class and not being able to move whatsoever or shoot_  The entire point of playing A class is to be quick on your feet.  I'm sure it would be neat if you were the guy not being stunned because it's basically a free kill.

I personally play A class, mostly berserker because I don't like infiltrator. I just feel like there needs to be a way to deal with those face to face moments with the A class. I generally ram my mech up into their fuzzy bunny and hold down the mouse button, running in circles and dashing in the same direction as them to keep myself glued to them. But yeah maybe a decrease in the time for A class, but I feel like it should still have a much larger vulnerabillity to something like a kinetic sledgehammer.

#10 MobileMike

MobileMike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 06:53 AM

I also thought a melee would be nice but I think it should only be something you can use when you are overheated as to make it not overused.
-The God of Death-

#11 BeefC4ke

BeefC4ke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 09:43 AM

Official response on melee.

http://community.pla...state-of-melee/
/Merf-isms - What will he come up with next_

dirtnapgaming.com

#12 NorseLoki

NorseLoki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 10:39 AM

View PostBeefC4ke, on October 28 2012 - 09:43 AM, said:

Official response on melee.

http://community.pla...state-of-melee/

Many thanks.

#13 ZeroSeven

ZeroSeven

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 11:29 AM

if they ever added melee, it shouldn't be a weapon.
I think it should just be you physically ramming your mech into the other while boosting, and hoping for the best. With the weight class deciding how much damage they can deal out, and how much they can resist it.
And you should also take damage from it to make it a last resort, and not a primary mode of attack.

#14 Sparatan117

Sparatan117

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted October 28 2012 - 12:32 PM

Personally when I thought of this idea, I pictured something like a bayonet that extends from either the primary or secondary as a way to quickly release heat (it would take up a function slot), but can be doubled as melee attack in order to push someone back or "stun" them in order to get away from them and repair.

I hate to keep bringing DICE into this, but Battlefield 3 has a whole knifing system, yet you don't see goobas trying to run around the map stabbing everyone. They get turned into swiss cheese quickly. A melee attack would not do that much damage as, as people have stated, you are in a mech and not squishy. It would be something though to stun you for a second, eating time until you can shoot again.

Don't go getting any wild ideas about chain swords or having all out melee wars. You do have to remember though, we're beta testers trying to give this game the best we can to keep Meteor in business so they can keep producing awesome games like this. Teenagers are going to be one of the largest markets to appeal to, and if the only thing they can do is shoot and fly, they're going to lose interest quickly.
Mess with the best, blow up like the rest >: )

#15 mydoom

mydoom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles CA

Posted October 28 2012 - 01:23 PM

we had this discussion a million times and i suggested a ramming attack of some sorts and even a smoke screen to get out of there, and the response was, no current plans of putting any sort of melee in.

Posted Image

#16 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted October 28 2012 - 02:57 PM

View Postmydoom, on October 28 2012 - 01:23 PM, said:

even a smoke screen

This or some kind of very close-range incendiary chaff would be pretty neat.

Edited by Beefsweat, October 28 2012 - 02:57 PM.

Posted Image

#17 LaurenceGough

LaurenceGough

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationReading, UK

Posted October 28 2012 - 03:08 PM

Armored Core is an awesome game, if there was a PC version that's all I would be playing (sorry but it's true).

I wish HAWKEN was more like Armored Core as that game is just amazing..

Anyhow, melee is much needed IMO. A close laser or something would be sweet (laser sword/sabre).
www.laurencegough.com
Sharpshooter - Aim good, kill good.

Say yes to more customization!
Please add a Melee attack!

#18 RedleAruel

RedleAruel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted October 28 2012 - 03:25 PM

A melee weapon would be a good change in my opinion. Why well there have been a few times where my weapons overheat and im just dancing around doing nothing but trying to avoid hits I could at least close in and do something or like those quicker classes that rush right to you or pass you. Also I see a enemy healing and I dont want to fire because i might be a bit far out and it would cause them to run away. With melee I could close in strike and then fire least take their health down a little bit. I also see it being useful to the INF class just going around knifing and then shooting. It needs to be like that huge knife bayonet like the one in the movie AVATAR that would be sweet. As far as the use of it I hear some people saying it should only be used or be available for use when your weapons overheat that is a good input if you want to avoid overuse of knifing.

#19 bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Defender of Pork Products

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationUsually hanging out in #spawn

Posted October 29 2012 - 05:00 PM

This is still going_  :)

Sorry kids, it's already been stated that there are no plans to implement any kind of melee weapons into Hawken, and hopefully there never will be.  It's one of the worst ideas for the game I've read, and I've seen some doozies.

This isn't armoured core.  If you want armoured core, go play it.  If you overheat your weapons, suck it up and dodge until they cool off.  That's what the rest of us do.
  • Have I been frustrated that I wasn't able to finish off an opponent because I was in danger of overheating_
  • Have I had to bypass a shot/kill/assist because of heat management_
  • Have I lost an engagement because I was ganged up on and overheated my weapons defending myself (and had one opponent left who was this close to being destroyed)_

Oh heck yes.  Many, many, all to many times.  But that's part of the game, and part of what I love about it.  It's not a mindless FPS, one needs to use some of the old brain power.  :)

(I don't mean to necro threads, I'm just almost always running behind.  My apologies)

Posted ImageFollower of Wheaton's Law, #spawn camper, test dummy for science, and being one of "those guys" <3

Youtube: thebaconavenger - Twitch/Twitter: bacon_avenger

System specs: i5 2500k // Asus P8Z68-V // eVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked // 16 GB 1600 DDR3
New to siege_  Give Bacon's Guide to Siege Mode a watch

#20 Ruzhyo

Ruzhyo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted October 29 2012 - 06:05 PM

Hi. New here, so this is a brand new conversation for me. I apologize for the stuff I'm most likely to repeat in this post and in others.

So I was in a duel with a guy last night, and both of our weapons overheated at the same time. He drops down and hits repair immediately, and is just parked there, right in front of me, prostrate and helpless. I am powerless to do anything about his sliver of health.
Were I an actual mech pilot, in an actual mech, I know precisely what I would do. I would bury my robot foot so far up his robot balls that he'd keel over. At least try and step on his gun barrels, ram my gun barrels into his cockpit.... something. Instead I do nothing.

This was not very satisfying gameplay. I realize it was a smart tactical decision on his part, and I appreciate that, but I don't think the lack of a melee weapon should make me completely helpless in a three story tall robot of destruction. I have girth and sharp metal parts, at the very least I should be able to rocket boost into him and do some collision damage! This is a game that seems to be trying to ride the line between sim and fragfest, and in either game genre I think it just makes sense to be able to hit people with my robot, either with a melee weapon the fragfest way, or with my robot itself the realistic way.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users