HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Melee Attack

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Defender of Pork Products

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationUsually hanging out in #spawn

Posted October 29 2012 - 07:16 PM

View PostRuzhyo, on October 29 2012 - 06:05 PM, said:

I have girth and sharp metal parts, at the very least I should be able to rocket boost into him and do some collision damage! This is a game that seems to be trying to ride the line between sim and fragfest, and in either game genre I think it just makes sense to be able to hit people with my robot, either with a melee weapon the fragfest way, or with my robot itself the realistic way.
Well, that is what happens when you let your guns overheat.  I've done it before, I'll probably do it again, but it's something you have to keep in mind (Remember, short controlled bursts, thanks Cpl Hicks)

That being said, I do tend to agree with this idea, in theory.

Talking with a friend who is in the beta, it appears that collision damage may be in the game.

You will take damage from a fall if you don't use your rockets to land somewhat safely (try dropping to the bottom of something like titian or alleyway, it hurts).  Said friend claims that he actually did a 'Death From Above' on an opponent.  He claims to have taken a lot of damage from it, but it did kill the other player.  I didn't see it, so I can't verify it was coincidence or not (the other player happened to trip over a grenade at the same time or something).

Only a dev could answer this for sure.  But many posts like this almost always end up with people advocating for knock down, stuns, or laser/chain swords, which is simply not going to happen. :)

Edited by bacon_avenger, October 29 2012 - 07:17 PM.

(I don't mean to necro threads, I'm just almost always running behind.  My apologies)

Posted ImageFollower of Wheaton's Law, #spawn camper, test dummy for science, and being one of "those guys" <3

Youtube: thebaconavenger - Twitch/Twitter: bacon_avenger

System specs: i5 2500k // Asus P8Z68-V // eVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked // 16 GB 1600 DDR3
New to siege_  Give Bacon's Guide to Siege Mode a watch

#22 EmFire

EmFire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted October 30 2012 - 02:30 AM

View PostMobileMike, on October 28 2012 - 06:53 AM, said:

I also thought a melee would be nice but I think it should only be something you can use when you are overheated as to make it not overused.

This. Also, laser swords.

#23 QuantumHive

QuantumHive

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted October 30 2012 - 04:42 PM

No melee attack in mech :3
Does the set of all sets contain itself_

#24 Slice

Slice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 05:39 PM

I know this is a Mech shooter game, but its still a Shooter, melee would be a good choice, and as far as " "A" mechs would just slice you down while moving like a house mouse with butterfeets against B's and C's" There should be a Balance in the amount of damage each mech can do, depending on their Type, like the A's mech damage would be less that B or C, considering they are lighter, therefore less power, and C's as slow as they are, would do a hefty punch damage if they do manage to hit you, something like that.

Anyhow, just saying, dont discard melee so quick, maybe in the future they'll come up with a good viable balanced melee.

#25 REBEL_SST

REBEL_SST

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 11:18 PM

Some one mentioned the game being too fast paced to use a melee attack... They clearly don't get out much. The allure of Halo for lan parties and later Halo 2 on XBL was the ability to bash the fuzzy bunny outa some one!. Your gun is empty (over heated) and you run in for a final punch to finish the fight and reload, rinse and repeat. Its what little boys and girls the world over love about FPS games. Hell, even Optimus Prime had a sword and he was a dam truck!

#26 CakeBandit

CakeBandit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSears, shopping for mech chassis.

Posted October 31 2012 - 12:04 AM

So instead of a melee weapon, what if juking into someone dealt damage to you both and got rid of your target's momentum_ I'm pretty sure juking into walls already does some damage to the player.
Posted Image

#27 BuffMyRadius

BuffMyRadius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted October 31 2012 - 12:35 AM

Here is my stance on this. I normally run mid to long range loadouts but I'm really getting sick and tired of other mechs running AR/SMG and flak cannon then running up to me with reckless abandon and unloading on me. Even from really far away, putting every round on target the heavy mechs can boost up right into my face. Melee weapons would at least give for a pause before charging up to an enemy. If you don't identify a target and boost up to a mech that happens to be carrying a flaming laser chainsaw that dices you into stew meat, well at least you will be sure the next mech you run into isn't carrying one before you bum rush it. That, fellow pilots, is called tactics. A well designed game makes you use them!
AMD 4130 BE @ 4.0 Ghz, ASRock Extreme3 970, 4x2GB 1600 Crucial Ballistix Sport, Gigabyte r9 270x OC, 60 GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, OCZ Fatal1ty PSU, Thermaltake Commander MS-I Snow Case

#28 Inny

Inny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 03:45 AM

Crotch mounted bayonet/bear trap.

That is all

#29 Ryujin

Ryujin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted November 01 2012 - 09:43 PM

Ramming into someone, but only while boosting.  The catch is, both the rammer & the target take damage depending on their weight class & how long the rammer has been boosting in a straight line.  Same weight class, same amount of damage between the two mechs.  The bigger the difference, the bigger the proportion of damage the lighter mech takes.  No other effects, except for the rammer coming to a complete standstill.  Can also apply to mechs boosting into walls, if the devs are feeling sadistic enough.

Okay, I actually just want to see two TV mechs boosting straight into each other & smashing together in a giant fireball, with scrap metal raining all over the map.

Edited by Ryujin, November 01 2012 - 09:44 PM.

#30 Zeshi

Zeshi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted November 01 2012 - 10:05 PM

I'm also in favor of ram damage. Also, if they dont implement ramming for every mech maybe take away the brawlers turret ability and give them a forward ram ability instead.
Posted Image

#31 DER3Z

DER3Z

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • LocationCleveland,Ohio

Posted November 01 2012 - 11:25 PM

If you need to get away or taser them just shoot them with a emp_ Thats pretty much a taser/melee attack. If you shoot them with a emp it shuts there systems down for a good 4 sec. By the time you shoot the emp at him you have had time to cooled down and shoot again. You just need to know when to shoot and how to shoot, the better shot you are the better chance you'll kill him and not over heat. You have to boost around obstacles, so when he follows you can do a 180 degree turn and blast him in the face with a Tow rocket. You just need to be smart and found out your playing style. You need to ready the stats for the guns, internals, etc. We don't need melee.

The sole survivor of BSB

Twitching channel

http://www.twitch.tv...eel_brotherhood

Star citizen

https://robertsspace...m/orgs/STARWIND

#32 Archimedes

Archimedes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted November 03 2012 - 01:11 AM

I totally agree with the idea of ramming damage. On the other hand I think that there should be a light armor saber mech. Also possible grappling hooks for both strategic placing, offense, and defence.  These should be things specific to certain mech types, and aid in team composition.

From what I saw in the Beta, and the talk about esports, I would say that from an esports perspective there needs to be a lot more than shooter mechanics. The more items in the tool shop allows for a more deverse set of strategies (your hammer can only get you so far).  This in turn could also make watching tournaments a bit more interesting by showcasing strategies overlooked.

I feel that over heating is a great mechanic, one can choose to go full guns blazing and overheat, or they could monitor their heat and know its limits, or if they are overheated maybe they should think about halling mech-butt.  If one was in real-life combat and their gun jams, chances are they aren't just going to stand there and try to unjam their gun.  In a game, one doesn't always have to get the kill.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users