HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

I need to say this:

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 LordofNosgoth

LordofNosgoth

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 03:32 PM

Okay, maybe it was coincidence that all servers suddenly disappeared, or maybe I got booted from the Beta. I dunno. So I'll just come out and say the following.

1) Overall, I like the game. It has some issues, which I'll gripe about here - briefly - but I like it.

2) I forgot to turn my in-game mic off while recording for youtube and I was griping. If anyone felt insulted, my sincerest apologies. That was not my intention. I hope those who heard it will forgive me.

3) The spawning in this game stinks out loud. I'm tired of spawning and immediately getting shot to death OR (and this is my personal "favorite") being in the middle of a heated battle, holding my own and a couple of guys spawn in behind me, kill me and steal my kill. TOTAL BS. IMHO, this should be re-thought.

4) Turrets need to go. Period. Argue for them all you like, but it takes away from the game. I wish I'd recorded the shenanigans of a particular player last night, but he basically camped a corner with one of those ridiculous turrets and just pwned for nearly 20 kills non-stop (until I took him out and then trolled him for the rest of the game, I hate turrets; they're stupid). The maps are already small enough, cramping them even further with turrets is just too much. Why bother argueing that they do too much damage_ That seems to be the point. Which re-enforces my point. They detract from players fighting other players. We have to waste our ammo and heat gauge on turrets that do ridiculous amounts of damage in a game where there's always another opportunistic player waiting and willing to creep up behind and blow us away. This seems to be a BIG oversight.

5) It's too easy to get stuck in/on a wall. When this happens, all you can do is die.

6) Both weapons sharing an overheating gauge is far too detrimental. God forbid you get jumped by two or more players; your weapons will overheat and you WILL die needlessly. Which brings me to my next point...

7) Having accurate sharpshooting weapons is cool. Not being able to fine aim them is not. Any chance of changing this_ Or is it there and I'm just missing it_ Being able to shoot enemies from a distance would decrease the chances of being caught between several enemies at once and your weapons overheating... if you could aim them well enough for it to be worth it. Yikes. Fix_

8) I cannot ever seem to switch between the selected weapons/abilities. They're supposed to be tied to the 1, 2,and 3 keys; yet this seems not to work. Sad Day.  :(

Well, that's the end of my list. It's not very long (only 6 gripes). Again, overall I like the game. With a few minor tweaks this could easily be the best game I've ever played... and I'm not into mech games. What does that say_

I have one other favor to ask the developers. I'm part of a gaming clan and we were considering adding this game to our repetoire. Would it be okay if we use some promotional art on our t-shirts in our store_ Our clan is non-profit in nature, so any/all proceeds go to paying for Clan gaming servers and teamspeak servers (adding a Hawken server would be awesome and advertisement for your game would be free). I fully understand if you say "no" or don't respond. In the instance where you don't respond, we simply won't do it.

It's been real.

Fight the Good Fight Pilots.

LordofNosgoth
"There is no true genius without a tincture of madness." - Aristotle
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results; that is the definition of insanity." - Albert Einstein
"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." General George Patton
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
"Only two things are infinite: The universe and stupidity... and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

#2 Orion1557

Orion1557

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationSalem,Oregon

Posted October 27 2012 - 04:55 PM

the games /servers will be back on at 6:00pm west coast time

#3 CosmicChameleon

CosmicChameleon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 05:04 PM

Disagree about turrets.,.. 100% disagree.

You can zoom-in with sniper. (I have mine set to middle mouse)

Game needs some fixes, and minor balances, but otherwise great!

Also... fix the audio issues, devs!
(mine keeps popping, and occasionally loosing the audio due to that popping)

Edited by CosmicChameleon, October 27 2012 - 05:05 PM.

#4 CosmicChameleon

CosmicChameleon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 05:16 PM

Oh, and as for the spawning... I've not had any issues with it.

#5 Astrolis

Astrolis

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted October 27 2012 - 05:21 PM

View PostCosmicChameleon, on October 27 2012 - 05:16 PM, said:

I've been killed by people spawning behind me.
And I've killed people when I spawned behind them.
Posted Image

#6 CosmicChameleon

CosmicChameleon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 05:39 PM

Not been noticing that myself, at all.

#7 Tetora

Tetora

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 06:31 PM

I never been spawn killed, Keep your eye on your radar.  You will see enemies there before you can see them on your screen.
Each mech has their own playing style, Assaults are all about pumping lead down the alleyway.  You can reduce your heat with your skill, perks, and equipment.  But if you playing sharpshooter, it wasn't built like the assault in mind.  Your mech probably has more sensitive gyros and components that allows you to aim and shoot accurate... while our mechs are built to withstand all the spraying and constant dodging strain =P

Turrets are easy to break if they are caught with no enemy around.  If enemy is around, a turret will always give advantage to the enemy.  That is why you need to use either EMP and nuke, use the remote controlled missle detonator to "NUKE" the fuzzy bunny out of the sector, or just EMP and murder.

#8 EMEUTIER

EMEUTIER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia

Posted October 27 2012 - 08:33 PM

Dude, turrets are REALLY easy to destroy. The only reason a turret should kill a mech is if the pilot is a newb and the turret only makes the final kill shot.
Posted Image

#9 HazaRDReborN

HazaRDReborN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 09:28 PM

never had a single issue with the spawning. its all good so far and Ive ranked around 6-8hrs playing. Never happened to me once.
As for the items, I agree, they don't work right. They are supposed to select the item or use it_ I don't know which of the two. In one match, the offensive item was just selected when I pressed it, the defensive was used on the spot, and I could't tell if the function item was either selected or used. If I remember right none. I was tryning to figure this out and at some points I was throwing a decoy of myself around and other times I was throwing the turrets out. It wasnt consistent. In one occasion the buttons used the item in another they selected it, it became frustrating. The only way I got around this issue (I don't know if this happened to others or not) is to simply ditch that system period and just use my "use item" key and switch through them with the mouse-wheel. That seemed to work just fine.
Also, on those turrets. No they shouldnt be taken out, they only spice up the game. From my 6-8hrs of gameplay I used them only for a total of 15mins, so I don't camp around with them and have fought plenty of those from enemies. It never bothered me tbh, it seems a legit tactic I guess. It will only be a problem to noobs. I used it in a team deathmatch and the thing whiped out almost the entire oposing team. The where noobs, I whiped one guy out simply by going in and out of a wall constantly, he stood there trying to fire at me.... I was only 5 PACES AWAY from him! I was thinking "does he know he can just walk over here and end me with a couple shots_" I was expecting him too, I even got let down when he didnt. And I did it TWICE to him! So yeah, only noobs have problems with turrets that is a fact. I have only been killed by a turret 3 times in total, if that. They really create small to no problem for me. It just makes the enemy a little harder, but thats why we all get one offensive and one defensive item. Simply shoot the thin down with 1 alternate fire, it's all it takes about. The only problem I have with the items is if they are spammed. But that is not a balancing issue or design problem, it's a strategy that if used is simply hard to get around. (I was up against a team that spammed one shield each from 4 players in a small vicinity... you can imagine what happened. we where sitting ducks. needless to say, we took them all out anyway, simply retreated while using suppressive fire then charged back in and only just managed to deal with them all, we where lucky but that goes to show that it can be done and items are not overpowering the odds, only helping them).

#10 LordofNosgoth

LordofNosgoth

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 10:30 PM

Okay, just so we're clear here:

This is a Closed Beta. WE ARE ALL N00BS. End of Story. You people hopping on here, talking like you're pros make me green at the gills. So, as soon as my video is done rendering and uploading to youtube, I'll post it here and show you what I mean. Especially about the turrets. You're wrong; it takes a LOT more than one Secondary Weapon blast to kill them. It's kinda ridiculous. Strike that; it's really ridiculous.

Also, I have yet to find a TDM server that isn't either completely full or completely empty - so maybe TDM is different, but I wouldn't know. Only ones I can get in on are DM; so I get stuck with crappy spawn points. Blech! Redo plz. I swear, it's like CoD or BF3; worst spawning ever.

This aside, I generally like the game. A few tweaks here and there (like getting rid of film grain) and it will be great; maybe awesome.
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results; that is the definition of insanity." - Albert Einstein
"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." General George Patton
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
"Only two things are infinite: The universe and stupidity... and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

#11 Karaipantsu

Karaipantsu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 12:18 AM

I've noticed a lot of spawning issues in the City DM map.  I've literally double killed people as I shoot them down once, turn around and see them spawn behind me as I'm repairing because I'm chillin near a spawn point.  I've also had it done to me.  Not very fun.  Sadly, the map is small-ish and hosts a lot of players, so I can't see there being too many ways to solve this.

I haven't noticed it nearly as much in the other DM maps.

#12 OCAU

OCAU

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted October 28 2012 - 03:05 AM

We're not all noobs_ Some of us have been playing the game a fair while through all the Alphas. But I have noticed the spawn point issues. Turrets are a 2 shot kill if you're in a sharpshooter mech - which also answers your other comment on there being a lack of accurate mechs. Have you tried the other mechs_ Because there's a whole range spanning the spectrum, and the Sharpshooter is one of two long ranged mechs. it's a lot of fun and I suggest you test it out.

I totally agree with the getting stuck on walls comment. I can't stand it when you're trying to escape and you get stuck to a wall like it's fuzzy bunny velcro and then you get shot in the back. Sure it's realistic, sort of, but it's a pain the ass. if I wanted realistic I'd  go build my own 100 tonne war machine and trample around the neighborhood.

I agree having split gauges might be cool, but it balances things out nicely the way it is. If you go in there and just fire off everything and don't even worry about the heat build up then you're going to be left without any defenses and very quickly learn your mistake. It's good for balancing out how much firepower people can offload and is also a way of dealing with people who play too much cod who like to just hold down the trigger and rack up the kills.

I'm not too sure what you meant by swapping between weapons. You can only carry 2 weapons at any given time, the "alternate" primary has to be equipped before spawn and replaces your primary weapon. And you can only swap between items when you have one in each slot.

Hope some of these help in some way.
Goliath - Cubitek Mini Tank Rig: i7 3770k@4.5Ghz | AsRock Z77E ITX | Galaxy GTX680 4Gb GC | 16Gb GSkill DDR3 1600Mhz w/w Bistpower Black heatspreaders | 2x120Gb OCZ Vertex 4 SSD's | 2x1Tb HDD's | Slot Loading BluRay | SilverStone Strider Gold Evolution 850W with custom made cables | 2xDell U2311H's | Razer Black Widow Ultimate | SteelSeries Sensei | Cerwin Vega XLS 6's with a Yamaha RX-V461 receiver

#13 LordofNosgoth

LordofNosgoth

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 03:57 AM

View PostOCAU, on October 28 2012 - 03:05 AM, said:

We're not all noobs_ Some of us have been playing the game a fair while through all the Alphas.

Since no one thing is set in stone until release day - including any bug fixes, balance changes, map alterations, movement mechanics, game mechanics and/or weapons loadouts - we are all n00bs; Alpha players included. Or, more accurately, newbs. Since every patch/update has the potential to change the game by leaps and bounds, reducing us all back to square 1 (or pretty close to it). Will any here be better prepared than those who wait for release day_ You betcha. Will we still get schooled by the uber-n00bs_ At least once. Them's the breaks.

Anyway, did try sharpshooter; and it's complete trash in Deathmatch... which, sadly, is all the games I've been able to join (I have this sneaking suspicion it's awesome in other game modes). What is it_ Do people hate TDM_ Personally, I've found it to be far more fun than DM in most games. DM is just *Bleh* at best. It's a Dinosaur in this era. It should do what dinosaurs do: Go Extinct.

And the first poster's bit about how he zooms helped. As far as the other classes, like I've said, I've mostly been relegated to DM, where Assault reigns supreme.

#14 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 05:25 AM

View PostAstrolis, on October 27 2012 - 05:21 PM, said:

View PostCosmicChameleon, on October 27 2012 - 05:16 PM, said:

I've been killed by people spawning behind me.
And I've killed people when I spawned behind them.
Yeah, the spawning is pretty crude.  I've only had a few hours of game play but within that time I've plugged poor saps by spawning right behind them several times, and I've been spawn-plugged myself a number of times.  Spawning needs work.

It seems that almost every new FPS game goes through this particular growing pain.  A number of (obvious) solutions:-
- Spawn immunity.  The spawnee is immune for 3 seconds but cannot fire whilst immune.  (This could be quite neatly represented in-game in the same way that the very first spawn does currently in Siege: have the mech go through a boot-up sequence that lasts precisely 3 seconds but does not affect movement.)  Some sort of visual queue may be needed for the benefit of others to avoid cries of people complaining that their attacks are doing nothing.
- Protected spawn points.  The spawn locations cannot be targeted from the battlefield in any way.  This option may not be ideal for Hawken due to the map building requirements and it doesn't always work because you only end up creating a campable, known spawn exit.
- Intelligent spawning.  Spawn point is chosen based on a one-time enemy scan for the area.  This can be tricky to get right: doesn't do anything to protect against a foe who is en route to a spawn point and was only just missed by the scan; if no spawn point is free it can result in spawn delay; prone to spawning someone miles away from the allied center of gravity.

Spawn immunity may be a bit gamey but it works.

Edited by defekt, October 28 2012 - 05:28 AM.

#15 LaMort13

LaMort13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 05:40 AM

Spawn is pretty rough.  I'd give it a 50/50 chance you spawn right in front of some dude who's got his turret out, ready to f*** your world up.  It's pretty annoying, and I'd like a better chance to at least get my bearings before 2+ mechs bear down on me.

#16 CakeBandit

CakeBandit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSears, shopping for mech chassis.

Posted October 28 2012 - 05:50 AM

View PostLordofNosgoth, on October 28 2012 - 03:57 AM, said:

View PostOCAU, on October 28 2012 - 03:05 AM, said:

We're not all noobs_ Some of us have been playing the game a fair while through all the Alphas.

Since no one thing is set in stone until release day - including any bug fixes, balance changes, map alterations, movement mechanics, game mechanics and/or weapons loadouts - we are all n00bs; Alpha players included. Or, more accurately, newbs. Since every patch/update has the potential to change the game by leaps and bounds, reducing us all back to square 1 (or pretty close to it). Will any here be better prepared than those who wait for release day_ You betcha. Will we still get schooled by the uber-n00bs_ At least once. Them's the breaks.

Anyway, did try sharpshooter; and it's complete trash in Deathmatch... which, sadly, is all the games I've been able to join (I have this sneaking suspicion it's awesome in other game modes). What is it_ Do people hate TDM_ Personally, I've found it to be far more fun than DM in most games. DM is just *Bleh* at best. It's a Dinosaur in this era. It should do what dinosaurs do: Go Extinct.

And the first poster's bit about how he zooms helped. As far as the other classes, like I've said, I've mostly been relegated to DM, where Assault reigns supreme.

You are absolutely right about there being a shift in the sharpshooter in Team Deathmatch.

When you aren't constantly running around trying to be slagged and have proper support it's very easy to be a successful marksman. Add to that the fact that assault mech's turret mode also becomes rather useful. Add me in-game and if we're ever online at the same time I'll try to get us into a Team Deathmatch and run backup for you.

Turrets currently exist as the teammate you can't have in deathmatch. They're great for a little bit of early warning/ area denial. I agree that they do too much damage in their current form. I think a better alternative to outright nerfing them is to limit their turning speed a little more dramatically. So it's easier to avoid damage, but if they do connect they connect pretty hard. This makes them better as an ambush tool than just additional heat-free DPS.

Edited by CakeBandit, October 28 2012 - 05:50 AM.

Posted Image

#17 Feydaikin

Feydaikin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 05:51 AM

I actually have good luck with spawn points. I never get killed in spawn; in fact, I get a significant portion of my kills when I spawn. Generally, if somebody is there when you spawn, its because they ran away to heal and you have the advantage when you spawn with a fresh mech.

No gripes about turrets myself; I have used them to my advantage, and I have no trouble destroying either the turret or the mech that deployed it (which destroys the turret). There is enough cover to be found that, if you run into a player with a turret, you just maneuver out of its line of sight.

Effectively use your abilities, optimize your mech correctly, use your weapons efficiently, and you will be able to handle the heat. I rarely overheat, even when fighting 2 opponents at once (both attacking me, not me ambushing them) (I usually win these fights). The key is movement. If you walk into the fight and hold your triggers down, you will overheat, then die. Attack, then duck into cover to radiate some heat. The shift key is your best friend friend.

EDIT: do the gun turrets do that much damage_ I either dodge or blow them away. I never really noticed my turret doing much damage; I use it more as a warning. Put it around the corner while you heal; if you hear it, get ready to fight real quick. Or, put it around the corner behind you to warn you if someone is flanking you while you fight someone else. I never rely on the turret for damage; I just want it to warn me and slow them down long enough for me to get ready. If I get lucky, I can flank an enemy while he engages my turret.
The smart player won't be focus on the turret; the smart player will be thinking about the player that deployed the turret, because he or she is probably close.

Edited by Feydaikin, October 28 2012 - 06:05 AM.

#18 LordofNosgoth

LordofNosgoth

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 06:34 AM

View PostCakeBandit, on October 28 2012 - 05:50 AM, said:

Add me in-game and if we're ever online at the same time I'll try to get us into a Team Deathmatch and run backup for you.

^^ I like this guy. My Hawken name is the same as the forums. Just add me. Also, if anyone wants to join up, my Clan is recruiting and - after seeing my vids - we've voted to make it a Clan game. We have a mumble server, feel free to join us on it. I'll detail the info here. There'll be some Hawken channels, both Clan and public, so feel free to join us for a raucous good time.

Now if we can fix the whole "Getting-stuck-on-walls-unable-to-move-and/or-spawning-in-terribad-places" thing fixed, life will be grand.

Also the film grain. It's got to go in multi-player. Maybe it's okay in the story mode we've not seen yet (if there is one).

Anyways, I really do look forward to shooting you all! ;)

My Youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.c...th_feature=mhee

Clan Mumble server for teamspeak:

[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]Go to this site and get the client:[/font]

http://www.mumble.com/

[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]Add a new server and connect with this information:[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]Servername: [SfW] Clan Server[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]Server Address: thesarifanwarriors.mumble.com[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]Port: 3215[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]Server Password: getsome[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]Make sure to create your own username and register it.[/font]

#19 TigerWild

TigerWild

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 06:39 AM

I love the game already. Major and minor flaws aside, it is a great premise well executed so far, and I will definitely give it a go when it comes out officially!!!

That aside, I will also jump on the bandwagon for spawning SUCKs....   don't get me wrong, I usually eat the spawn for breakfast, but when spawning the game doesn't seem to choose the farthest spawn point from people in game so I have personally seen it where I spawn, step forward 1 mech unit size forward, and a few moments later a guys spawn DIRECTLY to my REAR!   Now that is F'd up!

I still whoop the guys butt, gobble him down, and lick my chops... but hey, what if I didn't want that porkshop_! Now you're feeding into my over-eating!!   lol

#20 Domonus

Domonus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 08:05 AM

Just a get stuck stuck fest.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users