HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Health bars on scope screen and turret mode

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Furlock

Furlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 08:37 AM

I find it incredibly silly that there is little, if any HUD information when a mech zooms in, or when a heavy mech deploys to turret mode.  There is no way to tell how much health you have without unzooming, or pulling out of turret mode (the latter of the two taking several seconds of precious combat time).  It is absolutely detrimental to any player to not be able to see crucial information such as this when in either of these two situations.

#2 Juodvarnis

Juodvarnis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted October 28 2012 - 08:38 AM

Well, you can always zoom out with the scope, so imo it doesn't need a health bar on it.
Turret mode on the other hand... Yeah it needs it bad
Posted Image
*sigh*

#3 Furlock

Furlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 08:47 AM

View PostJuodvarnis, on October 28 2012 - 08:38 AM, said:

Well, you can always zoom out with the scope, so imo it doesn't need a health bar on it.

Ehh, I'd agree that you can do that, but still, why not have it there in the first place_  What if someone lands a few shots on you while you're sniping from afar_  I'd still argue that it's detrimental to a pilot, even if you can just scope out.  There's no real reason to NOT put it there.

#4 HazaRDReborN

HazaRDReborN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 09:18 AM

I disagree on the scope thing. That is making a camper camp even more. There are many games that don't have health show when you use the scope, and this is normal, the scope isnt in any way tied with the character physically (as a mech game this is probably the only exception) but I still think it is unnecessary. It kinda creates an unbalanced strategy to it. You have ranged aiming over someone who doesnt, that is advantage enough, being able to see health as well and jump away before dying is just too much. You can't have the same awareness in scope mode as you would in assault combat etc, and thats pretty much the point. Scopers have better aim over range in sacrifice for awareness and maneuvering, they can be a pain as is, making them that little extra easy for them is even worse.

#5 Yender

Yender

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted October 28 2012 - 11:32 AM

It is ridiculous that the Mobile Turret mode does not display your health. It is a defensive mode and you cannot see the most defence-orientated UI element in the game_ It's hard to justify using the ability as it is - you are just too vulnerable without this information.

#6 Furlock

Furlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 11:34 AM

View PostHazaRDReborN, on October 28 2012 - 09:18 AM, said:

I disagree on the scope thing. That is making a camper camp even more. There are many games that don't have health show when you use the scope, and this is normal, the scope isnt in any way tied with the character physically (as a mech game this is probably the only exception) but I still think it is unnecessary. It kinda creates an unbalanced strategy to it. You have ranged aiming over someone who doesnt, that is advantage enough, being able to see health as well and jump away before dying is just too much. You can't have the same awareness in scope mode as you would in assault combat etc, and thats pretty much the point. Scopers have better aim over range in sacrifice for awareness and maneuvering, they can be a pain as is, making them that little extra easy for them is even worse.

Hmm, you do make a good point.  I didn't really think of it as a balance thing.  I suppose I'm just used to other games having that kind of information present at all times.  I still stick with my original point, but I do think you made an excellent counter-point.

#7 Th4nis

Th4nis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted October 28 2012 - 12:51 PM

Putting this idea in the list of improvements: http://community.pla...n-improvements/ I came accross a post mentionning the problem but forgot to put it there... so thanks for bringing it again on the table! :)

#8 Furlock

Furlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 01:30 PM

View PostTh4nis, on October 28 2012 - 12:51 PM, said:

Putting this idea in the list of improvements: http://community.pla...n-improvements/ I came accross a post mentionning the problem but forgot to put it there... so thanks for bringing it again on the table! :)

You're welcome, and thank you for adding it to the big idea list!

#9 gunhe4d

gunhe4d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 03:40 PM

I agree with the scope issue being a balance problem.  There is a trade off there that would make things too easy if someone just camped in scope mode all the time.  However, I haven't played the heavy class yet with the turret mode, but I should think that since it is a transformation, not just a quick zoom button that it should be acceptable to display health on that HUD.

#10 TerranCmdr

TerranCmdr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted October 29 2012 - 06:49 AM

Just to kind of piggy-back on this discussion - I'd like to see more of a reaction to damage while in scope.  At the moment there's just the damage direction indicator.  I'd like to see the scope shake a little when hit, and I'd love for the scope to get cracked when your cockpit does, thereby giving you an indicator of how much damage you are taking.
Awesome Sentium logo in my avatar by erathic

#11 Furlock

Furlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 08:16 AM

View PostTerranCmdr, on October 29 2012 - 06:49 AM, said:

Just to kind of piggy-back on this discussion - I'd like to see more of a reaction to damage while in scope.  At the moment there's just the damage direction indicator.  I'd like to see the scope shake a little when hit, and I'd love for the scope to get cracked when your cockpit does, thereby giving you an indicator of how much damage you are taking.

Yes!  Thank you!  I had wanted to say something like this.  As it is now, you barely even flinch, even when getting hit by a ton of rockets.  I could never tell if I was being hit or not.  That's precisely why I wanted the health bar.  I think this is a great idea.

#12 HazaRDReborN

HazaRDReborN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 11:35 AM

View PostTerranCmdr, on October 29 2012 - 06:49 AM, said:

Although I dont like the idea of a health bar in the scope (mech health takes more time to take down than other shooters, so making it easier for a sniper to quickly hide and heal is very frustrating) I have to admit that the idea of scope shaking and getting damaged is a great way to give enough indication on what is happening. I like this idea too. It doesnt make the sniper too aware, but doesnt render him completely distant from what is happening either.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users