HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

What will Kill Hawken upon its launch

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dam187

Dam187

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Locationpa (usa)

Posted October 28 2012 - 01:16 PM

I love this game in its complexity of gear and weapons in the mech shop and its simplicity as gameplay. I love how this game can cater to mech fans and yet you can use this game (if you desire) to introduce some players to the mech genre.

This is why I must recommend the creators of this game to change several general things before launching Hawken openly to the public.

Friday, my heart was filled with jpy as I entered the game and found server upon server filled with players. It was hard to pick and choose a server. It was aNY gamers wet dream. I wasn't sure if I was playing against real players or bots (Don't worry my mind was made up as soon as I played several matches).

The gameplay made me realised two things: 1, my gaming skills got rusty at evading general random shots (I'm use to noobs camping) 2, I needed to sharpen my skills.

Saturday, I must admit I was busy as a gamer somewhere else due to a purchase, but knew I'd return.

Sunday rolls around and due to my surprise & disappointment:

Hundred of servers are empty and the ones that have players are filled up. Worse is the fact I can't join any empty servers. Supposedly the matchmaking system doesn't work anyway and we know what the training mode entails even though it isn't operational.

Thing is I logged in seveal different times in hopes this would change and it didn't.

So I suggest several things that I think the Devs/Mods/Pubs should pay attention to because these are simple matters that can be fixed and if not would have an ability to kill a game upon its launch. I'm sure some players would agree and others who willingly blind themselves due to being fanboys will disagree (to each their own).

1) Training mode is fine, but add in a practice mode so players can opt to play on servers filled with bots. TF2 give some players who run severs the options to run bots on empty severs and the bots disappear as players enter the game. (I'm not saying to do it like TF2 because  BLR-Blacklight Retribution actually has a practice mode where you play regular matches with bots in it). This will kill time for those who want to play against others, but the servers are full ATM.

2) Really you need not this many servers if you're going to have alot that are empty. You should start merging servers now so later on you don't have problems.

3) Your matchmaking system apparently doesn't work at all. Yes matchmaking is a difficult operation to do for any free to play, but better for a matchmaking system that is bad (which APB reloaded, BLR, Gotham City Imposters, Super MNC, etc. can attest to) than one that doesn't work.

Now one more suggestion which I'm sure you guys already got in mind, events. To make up for the shotty matchmaking system just run tons of events. You give a few nonchalant items away for free to winners of the events such as a new achievement, gear, paint, etc, (this is why you implement taunts into the game). Then most players forgive some crappiness in the game.

Thank you for your time.

Dam187.

#2 Rosmarus

Rosmarus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 01:33 PM

You do realize that the game is in closed beta and that's the main reason why most of the servers are empty_ Player flow is controlled so geograpichal key distribution has huge impact on server population. For example, if most keys are distributed to the US servers will be empty when it's European prime time and vise versa. It is true that you can filter servers based on their location but since there aren't that many online (there really isn't compared to many big titles out there) filtering on that criteria is not smart and I'm not sure if that even works in this build. Also, the game is in beta so it is reasonable to expect that match making is not in its final state at this point. F2P is the fuzzy bunny right here right now so I wouldn't worry about the playerbase. If Hawken is not meant to be it has most likely something to do with the micro transactions, too expensive, too cheap, too much of an edge for paying players etc.

Edited by Rosmarus, October 28 2012 - 01:36 PM.

#3 Dam187

Dam187

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Locationpa (usa)

Posted October 28 2012 - 01:41 PM

View PostRosmarus, on October 28 2012 - 01:33 PM, said:

You do realize that the game is in closed beta and that's the main reason why most of the servers are empty_ Player flow is controlled so geograpichal key distribution has huge impact on server population. For example, if most keys are distributed to the US servers will be empty when it's European prime time and vise versa. It is true that you can filter servers based on their location but since there aren't that many online (there really isn't compared to many big titles out there) filtering on that criteria is not smart and I'm not sure if that even works in this build. Also, the game is in beta so it is reasonable to expect that match making is not in its final state at this point. F2P is the fuzzy bunny right here right now so I wouldn't worry about the playerbase. If Hawken is not meant to be it has most likely something to do with the micro transactions, too expensive, too cheap, too much of an edge for paying players etc.

Yes I do agree. I do think biasly on all games I like. I think more in terms of their future than in their present state. I guess I just see potential in the games I like where others just see it as a game and nothing more. So sorry to look dumb because I assume that this mech game is going to make it pass its beta point.

#4 SGRock

SGRock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted October 28 2012 - 01:41 PM

Wrong.  Servers are not empty due to closed beta status.

Servers are empty due to our inability to join those servers.

Read the Closed Beta Forums, see how many dozens of new topics there are about unable to join a game.....
Occupation:  Old guy (do it long enough and you get really good at it)

Super cool jpg goes here>

#5 Dam187

Dam187

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Locationpa (usa)

Posted October 28 2012 - 01:46 PM

View PostSGRock, on October 28 2012 - 01:41 PM, said:

Wrong.  Servers are not empty due to closed beta status.

Servers are empty due to our inability to join those servers.

Read the Closed Beta Forums, see how many dozens of new topics there are about unable to join a game.....

I know this. That is why I made such suggestions, but still realistically-Hawken doesn't really need all those servers. They can at least get rid of 5 to seven of them.

#6 Greenfox21

Greenfox21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationGermany, Hessen

Posted October 28 2012 - 02:32 PM

Only problem they have atm in this stage is:
-server code

It simply isn't fit out for these masses.
Breakign everywhere ^^.

Al-- ehh okay i could have been better made~

With preparations~

But lets see it in reality. ALL Betas i was in till now, which weren't marketing betas.
Had spike dumbs after alpha>beta>new player wave.
Simply because they tought "jeah the servers can handle most likely the few thousands.. ehh tenthousands.. ahh fxxxx it!".

A bug+ some netcode issues+ not enough servers and more people then they could fit into the few.
No wonder that today it wasn't that filled.

I never actually could join a siege mode "Server connection lost" "No host found" etc.
I kinda needed 5~11 try to find a missel mode. And then i stayed in it for as long as possible.

Seeing all that. I hope they will improve on second cb.
For a realese this isn't fit atm~
12.12 is still long time away.. if all they need is server+ netcode to really work.
matchmaker seems to coem soon. As they will give statistics out, which are collected for the matchmaker and our pride~

--

Not to boost.
I shoot down a tow missle i think one time in a fight.
And i killed the guy while he shouted angry and perplex xD. Dunno if bug or not, but thez seem detonatable.
That would be a freaking funny mechanic.. >D
Love is like an Exotherme Reaction. As soon as it started, it will grow infintly.
Till it used up all the matter which let it react all that time~
Just be careful, how much of that matter you burn up for each second of your love.
You don't want to burn yourself on Love~

#7 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted October 28 2012 - 04:07 PM

View PostDam187, on October 28 2012 - 01:46 PM, said:

I know this. That is why I made such suggestions, but still realistically-Hawken doesn't really need all those servers. They can at least get rid of 5 to seven of them.
Perhaps you should consider applying for a job at Adhesive Games since you clearly know better than the dev team.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#8 Coot

Coot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted October 28 2012 - 04:48 PM

View PostElix, on October 28 2012 - 04:07 PM, said:

View PostDam187, on October 28 2012 - 01:46 PM, said:

Perhaps you should consider applying for a job at Adhesive Games since you clearly know better than the dev team.

Although his suggestion lacks any depth saying "they could use 5-7 less servers", comments like these don't belong in Suggestion Topics.

#9 Kepponen

Kepponen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 06:12 AM

I installed this Closed Beta on Monday and noticed, its was possible to join in empty servers, still some servers show that theres space but you cant join in them.

Nyyppä

#10 WALSRU

WALSRU

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 08:00 AM

Getting in servers was a little tricky Friday... but by Sunday and Monday matchmaking worked like an absolute dream.

Best of luck on the next beta event, terrible thread title.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users