HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Design Issues - TV Mech is LAME

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 ZeroSecs

ZeroSecs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 02:03 PM

I'm pretty sure that almost all of you will agree with me that the assault mech design is utterly hideous looking. It looks like a old 1960s TV with arms and legs. Sure its got firepower, but seriously, it looks like that was the result of lazy design workmanship there.

All the other mech look fine but the assault mech needs a redesign ASAP. Even if this design is for the beginning players and it will change as you level up but that is not an excuse to make it look so lame. I felt like a dork using that thing.

#2 Raze

Raze

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationCentral US

Posted October 28 2012 - 02:14 PM

I like it. Tune in for your ass-whoopin'.

#3 Taihus

Taihus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 02:17 PM

I think that's the point.  It encourages you to buy cosmetic upgrades :P  Personally, I get a kick out of getting a killstreak and going "Hah!  you just got clobbered by an antique TV!"
"If the Fate Amenable To Change had been a human, at this point it would have looked down, put one hand over its eyes, and shaken its head."

-Excession, Iain M. Banks

#4 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted October 28 2012 - 02:18 PM

Hideous_ Maybe, but that's all about personal taste. Lazy design workmanship_ That's just insulting to the designers.

Edited by Beefsweat, October 28 2012 - 02:18 PM.

Posted Image

#5 Darkbuddah

Darkbuddah

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 02:19 PM

Agreed here! the new assault arent matching up with others. (sharpshooter for me is hideous too, bling bling ! ). Feel like a prototype or something. I think this mech need more smooth lines. Maybe the dev is comming up with the idea that "assault" must be widespread, easy to produce and cheap mech. That may explain the design. But still lame ! -_- (beside wall type armor isnt a good idea in real life: big target, easy to penetrate...)
Beside, there is 2 factions in the game right_ how about 2 lines of design _ smooth, curve, natural lines for 1, fractal, sharp, triangular for the other_ B)

#6 Der_Kunstler

Der_Kunstler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 02:20 PM

Hey, I really like the design of the Assault mech.  It might have been a result of lazy design, as you put it, but maybe that was the point; it could be built from the bare-bone scrap from all the other leftover mech parts.  It's a very simple, utilitarian design with a relatively generic name (Assault).  Kind of like the Jeep of the mech fleet which, as it turns out, is what the Assault reminds me of.  It even has a giant gas can for private parts, for gosh darn's sake! :)

#7 gunhe4d

gunhe4d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 02:22 PM

I disagree with the OP, gives me incentive to upgrade, which drives me to play to earn more points.  it totally adds to the lore as well, obviously new pilots aren't gonna get the corvette of mechs right off the bat, everyone's gotta start with the crappy hyundai and make their way up.

#8 Applethief

Applethief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationMiddle of, Nowhere; United States

Posted October 28 2012 - 02:26 PM

you ever been hit by a 1960's TV_ those things were indestructible, its only natural that they would design one as a cockpit to house fragile meaty bits in a safe yet hillarious central torso.

and I for one embrace our new cube shaped overlords.
Posted Image

#9 Ai

Ai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 02:27 PM

I like the rough look of mechs, my favorite was one A class that had fabric sheet to cover its design flows :D

#10 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted October 28 2012 - 02:28 PM

I think some are forgetting that there will be more designs down the road, they're giving us specific mechs and designs for a reason, it seems.
Posted Image

#11 Cest7

Cest7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationVan

Posted October 28 2012 - 02:39 PM

They said the "glass" Display is a digital screen... however the TV mech has a windshield wiper..
Bah weep granah weep ninnybong, the universal greeting works every time.

#12 Silk_Sk

Silk_Sk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 02:52 PM

Did anyone else immediately think of this guy_

Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted October 28 2012 - 02:53 PM

View PostCest7, on October 28 2012 - 02:39 PM, said:

They said the "glass" Display is a digital screen... however the TV mech has a windshield wiper..
Sssshhh.
Don't question the windshield wiper.
It's watching us...
ALL HAIL THE GREAT AND POWERFUL WINDSHIELD WIPER!
Is it gone yet_

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#14 Verlust

Verlust

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationHollywood.

Posted October 28 2012 - 02:54 PM

TV mech is awesome! Totally fun, and reminds me of ^ FLCL.

#15 Garuda

Garuda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationSailing the Seven Seas with my trusty Beluga Whale steed

Posted October 28 2012 - 02:56 PM

I can totally understand where people complaining about the designs are coming from.
Personally I like the designs since most of the Mecha's in popular culture (Gundams, Super Robots, etc) are basically Mecha-Super Heroes.

Love the designs because they are more realistic in utility, logic, and realism.
Posted Image

#16 NIGHTRAV3N

NIGHTRAV3N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted October 28 2012 - 03:21 PM

I really dig Fred. Think the good ol' tube tv is killer and a unique take on a mech chassis. The sharpshooter X-box chassis is sweet too being that's the only spec I use ^_^  Can't wait to see what else the devs have in store for the community.

BRING ON THE RIDICULOUS MECH DESIGNS!¡

"God is not on the side of battalions, but on the side that shoots best"

#17 Verlust

Verlust

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationHollywood.

Posted October 28 2012 - 03:21 PM

Design wise, this game is above and beyond all others. mech or otherwise....

This game is basically Heavy Gear meets the Akira/Blade Runner
universe.

Edited by Verlust, October 28 2012 - 03:22 PM.

#18 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted October 28 2012 - 03:23 PM

You leave Fred alone!

What you need to understand, OP, is that Hawken's universe is very specific. The mechs we pilot are what's left after the age of plenty has ended and resources are now running out. We're fighting over what's left.

That's why the mechs look cobbled together from scrap and repurposed utility frames instead of generic Gundam rejects.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#19 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted October 28 2012 - 03:25 PM

View PostAi, on October 28 2012 - 02:27 PM, said:

I like the rough look of mechs, my favorite was one A class that had fabric sheet to cover its design flows :D
The first rule of Alpha is that we don't talk about Alpha anymore. (This is a publically-viewable forum, the alpha forum was locked down.)
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#20 Evil_Adolf

Evil_Adolf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted October 28 2012 - 03:32 PM

Just look at the upcoming skins by going in the Deploy tab. The background is a serious of mechs and they look AWESOME.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users