HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Maximum jump jet altitude.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Swazi

Swazi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 07:57 AM

It would add to the realism to increase or remove the maximum elevation limitation when using jumpers IMO.

#2 ManlyManManson

ManlyManManson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationLubbock, TX

Posted October 29 2012 - 08:04 AM

I find the maximum elevation limit to be very frustrating when trying to actually jump up to an above platform. It seems you will not clear the landing above you unless you are practically touching the wall in front of you. I think the area in front of a ledge that will let you jump jet over it needs to be extended to allow for smoother gameplay movement.

#3 zenji

zenji

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 08:20 AM

View PostManlyManManson, on October 29 2012 - 08:04 AM, said:

I find the maximum elevation limit to be very frustrating when trying to actually jump up to an above platform. It seems you will not clear the landing above you unless you are practically touching the wall in front of you. I think the area in front of a ledge that will let you jump jet over it needs to be extended to allow for smoother gameplay movement.

+1

#4 CakeBandit

CakeBandit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSears, shopping for mech chassis.

Posted October 29 2012 - 08:46 AM

I think the upper limit needs to be explained through in-game feedback better. Maybe a signal that goes off alerting you to your maximum height vs bobbing at it trying to desperately reach a mechanically unreachable ledge.

I get what they're trying to curtail with the limit, but they're doing it in a very hamfisted, ungraceful way. Maybe we need to just increase the amount of fuel it takes for vertical thrust and get rid of the limit.

Edited by CakeBandit, October 29 2012 - 08:47 AM.

Posted Image

#5 Immie

Immie

Dev Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted October 29 2012 - 09:05 AM

View PostSwazi, on October 29 2012 - 07:57 AM, said:

It would add to the realism
I don't think you're using quite the right word here, but I do agree that the max altitude could be a little higher. It's really awkward/painful doing any kind of climbing or platforming without using jump pads. Still, I think the limit should still be there, it's unique and works really well with clever map design... just needs to be a bit less restrictive.

Alternately, we could keep it as is, but allow mechs to sort of "climb" and lift themselves up onto ledges when you get to a certain height, instead of just hitting it with your shins and bouncing away. <_<

Posted Image

#6 EmFire

EmFire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted October 30 2012 - 03:00 AM

I'd also enjoy the gameplay more if booster-jumping/ climbing / flying was improved and emphasised. It feels like most structures are in the game to impede travel, and with the slow and low booster-jumping it feels like a burden in terms of navigating and does not facilitate quick strategy. Most objects laying around (examples being the sphere barricades or shipping containers), are also difficult to platform, as if the collision detection is inaccurate. I suppose it could also be the fact that the Hawken mechs footing is not adaptable to a sphere shape, but even the flat surfaces and outcroppings on buildings seem difficult or impossible to land on without sliding off unless they are particularly large. It would be nice if architecture that appears accessible (pipes, outcropping ledges, bent panels, cables, etc) is useful or accessible, and not just extra polys/assets heating up my apartment.

Edited by EmFire, October 30 2012 - 03:09 AM.

#7 R3TRI8UTI0N

R3TRI8UTI0N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationMuskegon, Michigan

Posted October 30 2012 - 05:53 AM

View PostCakeBandit, on October 29 2012 - 08:46 AM, said:

I think the upper limit needs to be explained through in-game feedback better. Maybe a signal that goes off alerting you to your maximum height vs bobbing at it trying to desperately reach a mechanically unreachable ledge.
Good idea, now this would add to realism.
Posted Image

#8 Maltitol

Maltitol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 07:38 AM

View PostR3TRI8UTI0N, on October 30 2012 - 05:53 AM, said:

View PostCakeBandit, on October 29 2012 - 08:46 AM, said:

Good idea, now this would add to realism.

I think we need to remove the Maximum Altitude mechanic all together. In what world does a rocket hit a ceiling and bob around until it is out of fuel. I suggest having fuel deplete at a much faster rate the higher you fly. This would make you pay for flying so high and you could fly higher in general making maps and ledges easier to navigate.

Or maybe your jets "heat up" like guns do so that they shut off when they get too hot.

#9 Lightsworn

Lightsworn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted October 30 2012 - 09:09 AM

The max altitude is how high you can lift off a surface, not a set limit in a level.

Like, say...   You can boost 10 feet off the ground. If you jump on a 5 foot tall object, you can boost 10 feet up off that object, and 15 feet off the ground. If you move off that object, you are no longer 10 feet up, but 15, and you lose that 5 feet of extra altitude, returning to the 10 foot max.

As for using more fuel going higher, I would assume they're running at maximum thrust just to lift your massive chunk of walking metal, so pouring more fuel into it would probably result in catastrophic failure.

Numbers are off the top of my head to be used as example.

My info is based on this post:
http://community.pla...low/#entry70387

View PostScapes, on October 26 2012 - 04:21 AM, said:

View PostGagzila, on October 26 2012 - 02:03 AM, said:

Straight away on each map I noticed so many areas that were easily accessible with my jump jets yet were invisibly blocked with an accompanying "max altitude" warning, even though I could fly much higher in other parts of the map.

The "max altitude" refers to the height your mech is capable of hovering above the surface below it. You aren't hitting an invisible ceiling; your mech simply cannot hover any higher above the ground. To climb to new heights, you'll want to hover over incrementally taller platforms which will send your mech skyward again. Think of it as your mech "pushing" off the surface beneath it. This will allow you to scale many of the buildings in HAWKEN's maps.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

#10 CakeBandit

CakeBandit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSears, shopping for mech chassis.

Posted October 30 2012 - 12:22 PM

View PostLightsworn, on October 30 2012 - 09:09 AM, said:

The max altitude is how high you can lift off a surface, not a set limit in a level.

Like, say...   You can boost 10 feet off the ground. If you jump on a 5 foot tall object, you can boost 10 feet up off that object, and 15 feet off the ground. If you move off that object, you are no longer 10 feet up, but 15, and you lose that 5 feet of extra altitude, returning to the 10 foot max.

As for using more fuel going higher, I would assume they're running at maximum thrust just to lift your massive chunk of walking metal, so pouring more fuel into it would probably result in catastrophic failure.

Numbers are off the top of my head to be used as example.

My info is based on this post:
http://community.pla...low/#entry70387

View PostScapes, on October 26 2012 - 04:21 AM, said:

View PostGagzila, on October 26 2012 - 02:03 AM, said:

Straight away on each map I noticed so many areas that were easily accessible with my jump jets yet were invisibly blocked with an accompanying "max altitude" warning, even though I could fly much higher in other parts of the map.

The "max altitude" refers to the height your mech is capable of hovering above the surface below it. You aren't hitting an invisible ceiling; your mech simply cannot hover any higher above the ground. To climb to new heights, you'll want to hover over incrementally taller platforms which will send your mech skyward again. Think of it as your mech "pushing" off the surface beneath it. This will allow you to scale many of the buildings in HAWKEN's maps.

I understand how it works mechanically, but it's really unintuitive and frustrating. Especially as a new player trying to get away from someone who's put more lead through his guns than you. I'd like to think I'm not a slouch in that department, either.

Edited by CakeBandit, October 30 2012 - 12:23 PM.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users