HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Grainy Graphics

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 the_Wuggles

the_Wuggles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 11:18 AM

Bug_ - In game graphics extremely grainy, not at all smooth with anything. Other Mechs, my mech and scenery is grainy.

Cause - No Idea

Reproduction - Ever since I have joined, maybe 7 rounds_

Severity - 3-4. Grainy kind of deters from gameplay at first, but get used to it. New players may be put off by it.

I will see what i can do about a screenshot. Also, Windows 7 x64 bit, Intel core i7 2.0 Ghz, 6GB Ram, 750gb hard drive, intel hd graphics (integrated).

#2 Houruck

Houruck

Final Siege Boss

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,190 posts
  • LocationBudapest, Hungary (UTC+2)

Posted October 29 2012 - 11:37 AM

The film grain effect is actually a feature and not a bug.

Knight of the Holy Tree

CRITICAL ASSIST
United in Diversity, Divided by Zero

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Spoiler

#3 kumiiyo

kumiiyo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 11:41 AM

View PostHouruck, on October 29 2012 - 11:37 AM, said:

The film grain effect is actually a feature and not a bug.

lol i was wondering what was the case with this. it was really similar to how grainy the cutscenes were in warcraft II. i nostalgia'd.

#4 Inny

Inny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 11:47 AM

Film Grain used to be turned off in the Advanced graphics settings. This however has been removed. I personally strongly recommend returning this option, as the film grain effect, while atmospheric, is extremely distracting.

#5 Kauppias

Kauppias

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 07:24 AM

Although this is not a bug, personally I think this is the worst 'issue' in the game atm, one just can't keep playing a whole day without getting a headache. Film grain remove option would be the best thing to do in order to ensure everyone likes the game, along with some color saturation. People don't want yet another gray/blue tinted game (like bf3 and skyrim for example).

#6 Inny

Inny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 11:26 AM

View PostKauppias, on October 30 2012 - 07:24 AM, said:

People don't want yet another gray/blue tinted game (like bf3 and skyrim for example).

Welcome to the Unreal Engine.

#7 TruSm0ke

TruSm0ke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 12:23 PM

Like others have pointed out, this isn't a bug but rather a choice the developers of Hawken made by adding a "film grain" effect.

Personally, I think the option to turn it on or off should be up to the players. I think in the prior beta you could choose while in this one the option is gone. We should be allowed to decide for ourselves. Sometimes the graininess is distracting and takes away from the nice graphics the game has.

What I really don't like is how blurry things are sometimes. For instance, the cutscene after a CTF (capture the silos_) match. It shows some big spaceship or something blowing up. Hell, I don't know what's blowing up because you can barely see anything! It just looks like 1 big blurry/foggy picture of "something" exploding. That needs to be changed. Show us quality and clear cutscenes and match defeat/victory sequences.

#8 JuiceBox

JuiceBox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 02:32 PM

In alpha 2 you could turn it off via console but no longer can.

#9 PN_Redux

PN_Redux

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 05:55 PM

I was wondering about the same thing. Every time i play the game its grainy over everything yet, every video i see of the game they have a very clear and clean screen. I find it distracting

#10 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted October 30 2012 - 06:35 PM

Here's an unsupported and possibly not-allowed method of turning off the film grain effect.

Open up (My) Documentsmy gamesHawkenHawkenGameConfigHawkenGame.ini

Do a find for this:

ImageGrainNoiseTextureName=EngineMaterials.Good64x64TilingNoiseHighFreq

Erase everything after the = in that line and save the file. This removes the grain texture from being used. I did not discover this on my own, and I have not seen any comments from the devs saying that they're okay with this. However, given that it's closed beta, it's probably not a huge deal.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#11 JuiceBox

JuiceBox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 06:59 PM

View PostElix, on October 30 2012 - 06:35 PM, said:

Here's an unsupported and possibly not-allowed method of turning off the film grain effect.

Open up (My) Documentsmy gamesHawkenHawkenGameConfigHawkenGame.ini

Do a find for this:

ImageGrainNoiseTextureName=EngineMaterials.Good64x64TilingNoiseHighFreq

Erase everything after the = in that line and save the file. This removes the grain texture from being used. I did not discover this on my own, and I have not seen any comments from the devs saying that they're okay with this. However, given that it's closed beta, it's probably not a huge deal.

Doesn't work it seems to be hardcoded

#12 Lirnak

Lirnak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationMontréal, Québec

Posted November 09 2012 - 02:24 PM

For those who interrested, the file where the line of image Grain was is now HawkenEngine.ini here :

DriveOfWindows:UsersUSERNAMEDocumentsMy GamesHawkenHawkenGameConfigHawkenEngine.ini

the deletion of the character after "=" seem to work for me, I have a clear image :D
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users