HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Suggestions ... sounds and impact

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 DarioPerfectus

DarioPerfectus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 08:11 PM

Improve the sounds

The sound is, in most cases, awkward. The weapons should have more terrifying sounds, the sound of explosions should edge over reality and the bullets hitting the mech should be more like the sound of metal being crushed, is not very hard to know.

impacts

the game lacks impact, I'm getting hit often, but not see, because it only displays a red indicator and an arrow indicating the direction of the enemy, the screen should shake, there should be interference on the screen especially when it was hit by a missile or any heavy weapon.

sound alerts

item purchased or native, but there should be a warning to enemies targeting you or a shot coming towards you, that even the jets fighters  nowadays have.

should be more alert indicating low energy boost, low-power (HP) etc ... This increases the realism and immersion.

Edited by DarioPerfectus, October 29 2012 - 08:18 PM.

#2 Rotaken

Rotaken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationMilk cartoon

Posted October 29 2012 - 08:39 PM

I think there's already enough going on in the screen as it is. Any more shaking and bouncing would just make it look cheap and hold players hands too much. That's of course just my opinion but I'm ALWAYS RIGHT you see :D

#3 Ant_Monster

Ant_Monster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted October 29 2012 - 11:51 PM

I personally wanna heard more booms! I want more bass in the sounds, ESPECIALLY in explosives lol. I didn't buy a sick ass sound system for nothing.

#4 Wikus

Wikus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 12:01 AM

For me i only think the slug rife/cannon needs a louder and heavy sound. At times i cannot hear it fire at all.
This is basically a guy, and there's 3 humans here, basically trying to make a warning, you know, saying "I kill 3 humans, watch out for me."

#5 DarioPerfectus

DarioPerfectus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 06:08 AM

View PostRotaken, on October 29 2012 - 08:39 PM, said:

I think there's already enough going on in the screen as it is. Any more shaking and bouncing would just make it look cheap and hold players hands too much. That's of course just my opinion but I'm ALWAYS RIGHT you see :D

but the idea is that, not all the damage, but the heaviest weapons would destabilize the mech.

And in the case of sounds, is a battlefield should be more sounds of bullets and missiles across the air, louder explosions

#6 Merxe

Merxe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 06:55 AM

If anything, the screen shake should be unnaturally minimal otherwise it would make the game more tactical.
The player that starts shooting would have an advantage so that would make the element of surprise a greater meaning and the way it is now is perfect.
I've attended the Tribes: Ascend forums and the idea of removing screen shaking and cracking was discussed over and over until devs eventually gave an option to remove cracking only. Shaking was left but maybe for the better.
Shaking and distortions is widely present in MWO but somehow it fits there. When 3 enemies gang up on you from all sides you are practically unable to aim, although then it's your fault that you let it happen in the first place and shaking while getting hit is a way to punish you.
But MWO is tactical too and this element makes sense there. You have only one life in MWO. In Hawken you constantly respawn so shaking might seem like an unnecessary addition.
I am not convinced either way though, would have to test first. Maybe make this optional_

Edited by Merxe, October 30 2012 - 07:03 AM.

#7 Rotaken

Rotaken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationMilk cartoon

Posted October 30 2012 - 05:30 PM

View PostDarioPerfectus, on October 30 2012 - 06:08 AM, said:

View PostRotaken, on October 29 2012 - 08:39 PM, said:

but the idea is that, not all the damage, but the heaviest weapons would destabilize the mech.

And in the case of sounds, is a battlefield should be more sounds of bullets and missiles across the air, louder explosions

You can't expect diehard realism for a title. Let's say we go to that direction then we should also make window break when hit by heavy weapons and such and it would kill the pilot so one hit kills. And there should also be chance to hit weapons cooling system and fuel reserves disabling further weapons use or exploding the mech and shooting the leg with sabot, slug, heat cannon, etc should blast the leg away thus disabling any further movements and possibly turning around. You see this is a shooter not a simulator. Simulators tend to be for very small audiences compared to shooters and for a f2p game it would be suicide. I might be ranting here  a bit and exaggerating things but I'm sure you see my point.
Oh and there might be something bugging with your game since I'm able to hear very well all the impact and shooting  sounds. Only thing that I cannot hear at all is siege modes battleship HRRRRNNNN sounds.

Edited by Rotaken, October 30 2012 - 05:32 PM.

#8 BuffMyRadius

BuffMyRadius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted October 31 2012 - 01:06 AM

I do have to say, the noises made by being struck by bullets are a bit lacking. You are piloting a giant armored kitchen appliance around and being hit with bits of metal travelling, at least in some cases, far above the speed of sound. Realistically_ You would be deaf instantly. Your eardrums would implode into your skull. Your rib cage would rattle, your teeth would hum. your eyes would melt into jelly. I understand this isn't a simulator, but I think we should at least get a sharp "plink" when a bullet hits our mechs. Giving an afternoon and a good mic I could probably come up with a satisfactory set of sounds, but I do understand how hard it is to implement such a big change into a game.
AMD 4130 BE @ 4.0 Ghz, ASRock Extreme3 970, 4x2GB 1600 Crucial Ballistix Sport, Gigabyte r9 270x OC, 60 GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, OCZ Fatal1ty PSU, Thermaltake Commander MS-I Snow Case

#9 Houruck

Houruck

Final Siege Boss

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,190 posts
  • LocationBudapest, Hungary (UTC+2)

Posted October 31 2012 - 02:59 AM

View PostDarioPerfectus, on October 29 2012 - 08:11 PM, said:

...the screen should shake...
http://youtu.be/umDr0mPuyQc

Knight of the Holy Tree

CRITICAL ASSIST
United in Diversity, Divided by Zero

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Spoiler

#10 Inny

Inny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 03:24 AM

I wont lie, this trailer is how I first found out about Hawken, and made me pretty much wet my pants from the massively girthy sound it had

WARNING! At 1:35, please have a towel and or tissue at hand

These sounds have been incredibly muted now, as if the mechs have all received significant soundproofing. I miss these sounds. I want them back. (Although some sounds are better now, like the Point-D Vulcan)

The lockon sound is still present, however, Rocketeers were quite rare during this test. As they were the the only mechs able to use lock on hellfire missiles, that's probably why you didn't hear it much. I think many of the Rocketeer pilots didn't even know they could lock on.

Edited by Inny, October 31 2012 - 03:28 AM.

#11 marshalade

marshalade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • LocationGasland, Pa, USA

Posted November 04 2012 - 02:41 AM

I really, really miss the cockpit cracking sounds the sound my Slug Rifle used to make. Please bring them back!

Posted Image
A tidal wave of marshalade...

#12 Roundlay

Roundlay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted November 04 2012 - 03:06 AM

Personally, I've been very pleased with the sound effects, environmental and utilitarian respectively, in their current form. As the OP and others have touched out, though, there's always room for improvements here and there.

For instance, after unlocking the Point-D Vulcan I now see a steady ramping up of auditory cues as an effective way to reward players for their continued play, an immediate means by which to elicit something about the nature of the cause of any given sound effect, and a neat psychological hack that underscores one's progression in the game.

Anyway, one auditory cue that I haven't heard implemented within the game is the deafening buzz that follows a loud explosion. Such a cue might make for an interested way to balance a mid-tier projectile weapon or piece of equipment—only moderately damaging but highly disorientating. For example (skip to 7:20):

http://youtu.be/m4UCnvQCo_4

#13 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 04 2012 - 05:00 AM

My main complaint about sound would be the lack of sound when you hit someone, especially when you hit with bullet weapons.
There's not much indication you've hit them beyond watching their health go down.
Just make it a little meatier and/or louder and I think it'd be fine.

Failing that, just turn it into the Quake hit registration sound.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#14 gunhe4d

gunhe4d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted November 06 2012 - 10:05 AM

View PostInny, on October 31 2012 - 03:24 AM, said:

I wont lie, this trailer is how I first found out about Hawken, and made me pretty much wet my pants from the massively girthy sound it had

WARNING! At 1:35, please have a towel and or tissue at hand

These sounds have been incredibly muted now, as if the mechs have all received significant soundproofing. I miss these sounds. I want them back. (Although some sounds are better now, like the Point-D Vulcan)

The lockon sound is still present, however, Rocketeers were quite rare during this test. As they were the the only mechs able to use lock on hellfire missiles, that's probably why you didn't hear it much. I think many of the Rocketeer pilots didn't even know they could lock on.

The sound in that vid is awesome.  I always thought the sound could be improved a bit for hit detection (at the least) but now I see where they are coming from with the changes.  I would like to see a cross between this original vid, and the sound in it's current state.  I really like the somewhat muted exterior sounds like the stomping sounds and the exterior explosions that aren't impacting the mech.  If you are behind that much armor, it should sound pretty muted, but there's no reason why the hull impact sounds shouldn't be very audible as they are in that vid.  The alarm sounds are much better in the vid as well.

#15 SirMilagres

SirMilagres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationBrasil

Posted November 06 2012 - 12:15 PM

More shaking_ I think its fine the way it is now

improve sound as the video Inny posted_ Hell yeah
Best weapon on a zombie outbreak_ Mechs.

#16 gunhe4d

gunhe4d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted November 06 2012 - 12:42 PM

View PostSirMilagres, on November 06 2012 - 12:15 PM, said:

More shaking_ I think its fine the way it is now

I do admit it seems kinda silly that high impact weapons like TOW, don't shake the mech at least a little bit.  even if the targeting reticule stays dead on target, the cockpit should show some sort of balance correction.  But that's more for immersion, I don't think it adds to gameplay for this type of game so I'm fine without it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users