HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

What am I caught on now_

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Maltitol

Maltitol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 07:30 AM

I get caught on random scrap metal A LOT. Piloting mechs needs to be more fluid in general. I recognize that I'm in a clunky machine walking around a jagged space station, but the effect is getting in the way of my ability to play. In the middle of a gunfight I don't need to stop and ask myself "what am I caught on, and why can't I strafe"

I vote for oval collision!

#2 ForgottenSoup

ForgottenSoup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 07:31 AM

This is my only real issue right now.

#3 Cottonmouth

Cottonmouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted October 30 2012 - 11:01 AM

I support this as well.
Posted Image
Wandering Gun #XXX
PC Specs: 3930k @ 5ghz, RIVE, 2x CMGTX3, 3x EVGA 580 SC at 3240x1920, 1x Intel 510 120GB, 4x Force GT 120GB raid 10, 2x Raptor 600GB raid 0

#4 c0mad0r

c0mad0r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA. USA

Posted October 30 2012 - 11:10 AM

I get more frustrated with this playing C-Class than any other class type and agree there should be rounded collision versus hard, but that will require a lot of map editing to do... perhaps reducing the collision boundaries a small amount in general would help_
It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools. Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers. -Illiad

Check out my: HAWKEN MUMBLE SKIN
Check out my: HAWKEN TEAMSPEAK SKIN
Check out my: HAWKEN INI's EXPLAINED

#5 Aelieth

Aelieth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationShawnee, Oklahoma or Nagoya, Japan

Posted October 30 2012 - 11:10 AM

I find it refreshing that my fat Rocketeer gets stuck on sides of buildings, and in the Desert map, Sentium side, I often get stuck on the overhang of one building, that alone amazed me! They're laughable moments to me after my initial WTF reaction. Also allows A mechs to squeeze through odd places. I've lost larger mechs by running between certain things in Titan. I do not support oval collision, leave the boxes alone!

Edited by Aelieth, October 30 2012 - 11:11 AM.

Posted Image
Seriously suicidal scrapheap operator

#6 REBEL_SST

REBEL_SST

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted October 30 2012 - 11:25 PM

This is truly maddening!!! There are some instances where i am stuck in a small step in an ally and that is why i die. The other issue is when in a corner (for cover) and you need to turn around, if any part of the mech is touching the wall, no dice. Worst of all is spawning in a corner and being permanently stuck!!! I was waiting for the Guardians to kill me... the other team did instead.

#7 CakeBandit

CakeBandit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSears, shopping for mech chassis.

Posted October 30 2012 - 11:28 PM

I really like the surface-friction that you get when you snuggle up to a wall. The groan and the sparks are a nice touch. I have pretty keen spacial awareness in games though, so I might be a poor measure here.
Posted Image

#8 BuffMyRadius

BuffMyRadius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted October 31 2012 - 12:01 AM

I also appreciate that the mechs "snag" on sharp edges, even though it gets me killed on occasion. I'm no expert on the matter, but I'm pretty sure if a 25 ton mech ever bumped into a wall filled with rebar and concrete the word "oval" would be the last thing on anyone's mind. One thing that still gets me is that the mechs feel too light. They slowly grind into movement but the moment you let off the controls the mech freezes like a deer in headlights. Its a huge armored machine! It should at least take a few feet to rein in the momentum!
AMD 4130 BE @ 4.0 Ghz, ASRock Extreme3 970, 4x2GB 1600 Crucial Ballistix Sport, Gigabyte r9 270x OC, 60 GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, OCZ Fatal1ty PSU, Thermaltake Commander MS-I Snow Case

#9 CakeBandit

CakeBandit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSears, shopping for mech chassis.

Posted October 31 2012 - 12:07 AM

View PostBuffMyRadius, on October 31 2012 - 12:01 AM, said:

I also appreciate that the mechs "snag" on sharp edges, even though it gets me killed on occasion. I'm no expert on the matter, but I'm pretty sure if a 25 ton mech ever bumped into a wall filled with rebar and concrete the word "oval" would be the last thing on anyone's mind. One thing that still gets me is that the mechs feel too light. They slowly grind into movement but the moment you let off the controls the mech freezes like a deer in headlights. Its a huge armored machine! It should at least take a few feet to rein in the momentum!

I'm so conflicted by this. I really like how the behavior is right now. It's really easy to get into and feels good, but part of me wants to see it changed, if only for a night.
Posted Image

#10 killyg

killyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 12:49 AM

View PostREBEL_SST, on October 30 2012 - 11:25 PM, said:

There are some instances where i am stuck in a small step in an ally and that is why i die.
I don't mind the wall collision boxes, but this particularly thing REALLY bothers me.  Even B-class mechs get stopped by something as simple as one small step of concrete when I'm walking DIRECTLY towards it.  But wait, I thought my mech is...walking_  Why can't it step over with them giant feet_

in reality I understand it's a limitation of the physics of acceleration vs an immovable object.  I know if I hit boost I'll sail right over that small step, but when it happens it's just mindboggling and annoying.

#11 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted October 31 2012 - 12:57 AM

If I get caught on something, I don't mind because I know it's my own fault.
It's my fault because I am not properly aware of my surroundings.
It's my fault because I am not properly spatially aware.
It's my fault because, basically, I'm not paying attention.

The only exception to this would be getting stuck on other mechs.
Doesn't make a sound. You just kind of stop, so if they're behind me or to my side, I'll be all "WTF_" for a moment.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#12 Subdivision

Subdivision

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted October 31 2012 - 01:01 AM

^ What Asian said

Posted Image

#13 Houruck

Houruck

Final Siege Boss

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,190 posts
  • LocationBudapest, Hungary (UTC+2)

Posted October 31 2012 - 03:22 AM

I agree with AsianJoyKiller. And I think it adds to the feel when you scour a concrete wall.

Knight of the Holy Tree

CRITICAL ASSIST
United in Diversity, Divided by Zero

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Spoiler

#14 Manoloco

Manoloco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 07:44 AM

I think there should be better collision between mechs, and even a little bit of damage if you ram boost an opponent mech (would be a nice touch), ideal for cqb and if you overheated.

its a bit better than seeing 2 mechs moving (or one running away) while waiting the cooldown, and surely more in tune with the dogfights than adding a melee weapon.

#15 Puru

Puru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationGrove Street, Los Santos, San Andreas

Posted October 31 2012 - 07:51 AM

I made similar points, mostly about colliding with other mechs. That's where it feels really off. The problem is an A-class mech can stop a C-class from moving by simply running into it.

I do like the roughness against a wall, but sometimes it doesn't actually make contact and you don't hear the noise. That's when it becomes frustrating and I wonder why I can't go left.

HOWEVER there are things on the ground, which you'd presume to be a flat surface, to stop you from moving. Alley is full of things like that. There's one ram that you need to JUMP over because trying to walk up it is physically impossible.
Shamelessly stealing everything not bolted down

#16 Maltitol

Maltitol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted November 02 2012 - 05:56 PM

You've all provided a lot of good feedback. Those opposing my point of view seem to be applauding the "realism" the current collision provides. While I agree that I do like realism, I like smooth game-play more. I don't mind the rubbing of walls and how that "feels", but its the little things that get me. It interrupts the game experience when you pause for a second to wonder why you're caught. If this game is going take on other multiplayer games like League of Legends or Starcraft, the effects and "realism" shouldn't get in the way of a player's skill. Dodging cuts on walls and random floor objects isn't a "pro-skill" that I need to marvel at.

#17 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 10 2012 - 03:12 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on October 31 2012 - 12:57 AM, said:

If I get caught on something, I don't mind because I know it's my own fault.
It's my fault because I am not properly aware of my surroundings.
It's my fault because I am not properly spatially aware.
It's my fault because, basically, I'm not paying attention.

The only exception to this would be getting stuck on other mechs.
Doesn't make a sound. You just kind of stop, so if they're behind me or to my side, I'll be all "WTF_" for a moment.
My only issue with this is that it's not always clear where you'll get stuck. Sahara and Titan have some pretty generous collision boxes on the terrain
Invisible walls aside, I agree (as well as agreeing on the whole stuck on other mechs thing. There have been a few times where I couldn't even move away properly, though this doesn't happen often enough for me to determine exactly what the issue is)

..Though I wouldn't mind round collision. Getting stuck IS annoying, no matter how badly one may have messed up

Edited by Beemann, November 10 2012 - 03:13 PM.

Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#18 TheAriDee

TheAriDee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted November 10 2012 - 04:58 PM

Yes! Very difficult in Titan. I pretty much only play Sahara.

#19 Ferahtsu

Ferahtsu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted November 13 2012 - 11:34 AM

It seems that people here are complaining over their inability to consciously maneuver a mech. Like in any game with rough clipping, stay the hell away from walls.

#20 c0mad0r

c0mad0r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA. USA

Posted November 13 2012 - 01:56 PM

Anyone else have issues shooting at collisions on accident_ I've had several self-TOW'isms due to trying to shoot through a space between two objects only to have it blow up in my face.

The collision boundaries are just too liberal overall imo.
It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools. Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers. -Illiad

Check out my: HAWKEN MUMBLE SKIN
Check out my: HAWKEN TEAMSPEAK SKIN
Check out my: HAWKEN INI's EXPLAINED

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users