HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Reloading Items

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Poll: Reloading Items (52 member(s) have cast votes)

Should deployables/consumable items be reloadable_

1. Yes (15 votes [28.85%])

Percentage of vote: 28.85%

2. No (33 votes [63.46%])

Percentage of vote: 63.46%

3. Yes, but without an inventory station system (4 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted November 05 2012 - 07:07 AM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 04 2012 - 04:30 PM, said:

View PostRedVan, on November 04 2012 - 01:04 PM, said:

I'm not one to punish good players personally.  If a player can last all map without dying, I see no reason that he shouldn't be able to get more items.

If the other team is just so bad as to get dominated, allowing the winning side to replenish items isn't really going to matter.  They'll win anyway.  So I wouldn't worry about this ability causing an imbalance.  On the other hand, I've been on the side getting wrecked, but, I was still staying alive myself long term.  I was the only one in the match staying alive, from either team.  So the ability for me to replenish items could have actually balanced it out more.  For every time you can say it'll make the match imbalanced, you can come up with another way that it would re-balance it.

What I meant with ingame "currency" is not related to XP or MP.  It would be similar to MWLL where you earn credits ingame to spend on items in a single match.  It's nothing permanent.  You lose all the credits when the match ends.
Honestly, if I could restock items, I'd probably never die and get a ton more kills while I'm at it.

Also, Tribes: Ascend has a similar currency mechanics.
Getting kills or performing certain actions awards credits. Credits can be used on calldowns like a resupply station.

Thing is, I think items would have to be pretty pricey to balance things out.
I mean, otherwise, I could just get a few kills and buy a new healing orb whenever I needed one. Or I'd just spam the fuzz out of EMPs and HEs.

Well obviously, everything would need to be balanced.  Didn't think I'd need to mention that basic fact ;P

Edited by RedVan, November 05 2012 - 07:07 AM.

#22 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 05 2012 - 11:37 AM

View PostRedVan, on November 05 2012 - 07:07 AM, said:

I'm not one to punish good players personally.  If a player can last all map without dying, I see no reason that he shouldn't be able to get more items.

If the other team is just so bad as to get dominated, allowing the winning side to replenish items isn't really going to matter.  They'll win anyway.  So I wouldn't worry about this ability causing an imbalance.  On the other hand, I've been on the side getting wrecked, but, I was still staying alive myself long term.  I was the only one in the match staying alive, from either team.  So the ability for me to replenish items could have actually balanced it out more.  For every time you can say it'll make the match imbalanced, you can come up with another way that it would re-balance it.

What I meant with ingame "currency" is not related to XP or MP.  It would be similar to MWLL where you earn credits ingame to spend on items in a single match.  It's nothing permanent.  You lose all the credits when the match ends.
Honestly, if I could restock items, I'd probably never die and get a ton more kills while I'm at it.

Getting kills or performing certain actions awards credits. Credits can be used on calldowns like a resupply station.

I mean, otherwise, I could just get a few kills and buy a new healing orb whenever I needed one. Or I'd just spam the fuzz out of EMPs and HEs.
Well obviously, everything would need to be balanced.  Didn't think I'd need to mention that basic fact ;P
Obviously, but what I'm trying to say is that in order to balance it, the system would benefit better players much more than worse ones.
They'd be the ones racking up kills, assists and objective points, giving them more currency to work with and be able restock more often, which would only emphasis their lead.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#23 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted November 05 2012 - 12:38 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 05 2012 - 11:37 AM, said:

View PostRedVan, on November 05 2012 - 07:07 AM, said:

Obviously, but what I'm trying to say is that in order to balance it, the system would benefit better players much more than worse ones.
They'd be the ones racking up kills, assists and objective points, giving them more currency to work with and be able restock more often, which would only emphasis their lead.

At the same time, worse players will still die, thus allowing them to spawn with new items.  They don't need to gain currency at all to restock.

From a balance perspective, you will still have games where someone doesn't die the whole round, and is on the losing team.  You will also have games where someone doesn't die the whole round and is on the winning team.  That will not change.  Also consider the fact that the player would need to go back to base to restock, thus pulling themselves out of battle for a period of time.  It will actually take them longer to go to base, restock, and get back to battle, than it would for them to just die and spawn.  That right there is enough punishment to warrant allowing people to restock

#24 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 05 2012 - 12:45 PM

I see your point. Makes sense.

Overall, I'm just a fan of the whole "How long can I survive without items_" sort of concept.
If there was a full laid out proposal for a properly balanced restock mechanic, I'd argue for not implementing it based on personal preference.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#25 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 05 2012 - 12:54 PM

Maybe in Siege mode_

P.S. Alternatively.. exchanging items between pilots would be an interesting possibility as well.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users