HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Hawken from the persepective of a competitive Battlefield 3 Player

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 mor4sso

mor4sso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 10:39 AM

This is my first HAWKEN commentary piece, and it certainly won't be the last. Check it out guys!

LETS GET SOME ESPORTS SUPPORT!

#2 The_Ulf

The_Ulf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 11:11 AM

Awesome!  Great introductory vid. :)

#3 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted October 31 2012 - 11:15 AM

I certainly wouldn't mind eSports for Hawken... but for it to happen, a lot of other things need to happen, too, like controlled servers, etc.

Admittedly, I think that - for at least the first few months - the devs should be focused on getting it stable, smooth, and in everyone's hands. Then we can focus on stuff like that. :)
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#4 mor4sso

mor4sso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 11:46 AM

View PostThe_Ulf, on October 31 2012 - 11:11 AM, said:

Awesome!  Great introductory vid. :)

Thank you!

View PostDarkPulse, on October 31 2012 - 11:15 AM, said:

I certainly wouldn't mind eSports for Hawken... but for it to happen, a lot of other things need to happen, too, like controlled servers, etc.

Admittedly, I think that - for at least the first few months - the devs should be focused on getting it stable, smooth, and in everyone's hands. Then we can focus on stuff like that. :)

I agree for the most part, but I'm worried that it won't be implemented unless it starts from the ground up. If there are tools and coding that needs to be done before the game is launched (stability reasons and many other factors) I'd like to see that done.

The comp scene could be REALLY big for this game, and I'd love to see it thrive.

#5 Coldrew

Coldrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted October 31 2012 - 12:07 PM

I'd die if good spectator/shoutcast support was added.  As much as I'd love to see Hawken jump straight in to some quake style competitive play, (2v2 or 3v3 TDM, duels, all that jazz) I'd prefer to see those types of features added more naturally and in-line with community feedback instead of focusing on it from the get-go.  As much as I love that style of play, there's something different in Hawken about rolling in with some buddies in a pub game and finding your own fights.  Even though teams are 6v6 there's a very "large" feel to the scope of the action.  Having some uncertainty about the pilots your facing makes it all that more rewarding when, say, you and a buddy break off, flank the team and get to pull of your own little, purple heart/MVP moment that helps the rest of your team out of a jam, or takes that AA at the clutch moment to turn over a match loss.

Don't get me wrong, I love 'dem eSports, and not to say that you cant have that sort of fun in competitive, but I've found there's lots of pretty same-y shooters out there, and Hawken executes well on bringing a tone and gameplay that I feel has been tried before in the past, but not quite as well accomplished.  Personally I'd like to see that nurtured instead of something that's been seen before.

^_^ just my 2 cents though.
My other job is a wizard.
The high price of Pink and Black.

#6 BernardWiseman

BernardWiseman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 12:08 PM

Cultivating an e-sports scene in a game like this where you need to invest a lot of time in grinding your mech to full customization is next to impossible.

#7 WALSRU

WALSRU

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 12:24 PM

MLG has had many different FPS over the years with a good following. I really think Hawken has the potential to succeed on that stage.

Nice commentary, I'll definitely be on the lookout for your vids.

#8 NotKjell

NotKjell

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 12:33 PM

Hawken devs have already talked to MLG, and I think hawken is on their play list for 2013. They're also mentioned in random interviews some of their spectator mode plans. They sounded good, and like they were thinking about what would be good e-sports spectating, not what would just be a bare minimum.

I competed in fps's a while ago, and am seriously considering trying to compete in Hawken should the scene develop. One thing that would be awesome is a hawken launch tournament for 12.12.12. Plaster the front page of Twitch with hawken for a weekend, articles on gaming news sites etc. Would be a awesome way to launch the e-sports scene. That has some obvious issues - namely the devs would need to confirm the event so players could prepare, AND have all needed features implemented by that time. However if it's possible from their side, I could definitely commit to something like that.

Posted Image

High-level Hawken discussion and play wednesdays at 7:00 PST http://www.twitch.tv/thecockpit

#9 KyRoS

KyRoS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 01:00 PM

Nice vid. Thanks for the info. Awesome playing too. I just got in to alpha at the end of the alpha phase and now the beta and really enjoy the game. It's a nice mix of FPS action  with just enough tactical gameplay to differentiate itself from any other FPS games.

#10 hestoned

hestoned

Dev Killer

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted October 31 2012 - 01:31 PM

haha i remember this match. I think some on my team were a little new but great team players. Played like 3-4 games in a row with them. I EMP'ed your ass at the end too lol.
http://www.twitch.tv/hestoned
  my stream. Scout and Grenadier play

#11 Tezkat

Tezkat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 01:39 PM

Nice vid. It's great to watch highly skilled players at work. You might want to do something about all that audio popping though (mic positioning and whatnot)...

View Postmor4sso, on October 31 2012 - 11:46 AM, said:

I agree for the most part, but I'm worried that it won't be implemented unless it starts from the ground up. If there are tools and coding that needs to be done before the game is launched (stability reasons and many other factors) I'd like to see that done.

The comp scene could be REALLY big for this game, and I'd love to see it thrive.

The eSports features have been in the works for a while. They're currently in negotiations with both MLG and ESL to get Hawken in front of competitive gamers and audiences.

If you're interested in learning more, Batgirl was at the Valencia eSports Congress back in September speaking about some of the ways eSports influenced their early game design  philosophies. (Check out the Liquipedia page for VODs; you want the "game developers" panel.) And Khang Le discusses their eSports plans and features in some depth in the WCG interviews he did at NYCC a few weeks ago.

They have plans for some cool observer features (e.g. heatmaps) that simply haven't been done before.

View PostNotKjell, on October 31 2012 - 12:33 PM, said:

I competed in fps's a while ago, and am seriously considering trying to compete in Hawken should the scene develop. One thing that would be awesome is a hawken launch tournament for 12.12.12. Plaster the front page of Twitch with hawken for a weekend, articles on gaming news sites etc. Would be a awesome way to launch the e-sports scene. That has some obvious issues - namely the devs would need to confirm the event so players could prepare, AND have all needed features implemented by that time. However if it's possible from their side, I could definitely commit to something like that.

I too hope we'll have a chance to test out some of those observer features before launch.

While I'm not quite a slouch at Hawken, my skills aren't even close to some of the competitive FPS players I ran across in the alpha and beta. I would totally be up for helping to cast such a tournament if it ever happened though... B)
Live Open Beta gameplay and commentary on twitch.tv/Tezkat...

More HAWKEN gameplay videos at Mech.TV.

#12 NotKjell

NotKjell

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 01:43 PM

View PostTezkat, on October 31 2012 - 01:39 PM, said:

While I'm not quite a slouch at Hawken, my skills aren't even close to some of the competitive FPS players I ran across in the alpha and beta. I would totally be up for helping to cast such a tournament if it ever happened though... B)

Aww, already failed player-turned-commentator and the game isn't even released yet_ Don't give up hope!

Seriously though, it is nice to hear that end of it. That there would already be people stepping up not just to play, but handle all the other million less talked about roles needed in e-sports.

Posted Image

High-level Hawken discussion and play wednesdays at 7:00 PST http://www.twitch.tv/thecockpit

#13 Tezkat

Tezkat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 02:18 PM

View PostNotKjell, on October 31 2012 - 01:43 PM, said:

Aww, already failed player-turned-commentator and the game isn't even released yet_ Don't give up hope!

Seriously though, it is nice to hear that end of it. That there would already be people stepping up not just to play, but handle all the other million less talked about roles needed in e-sports.

Heh. I may be top of the killboards when the noobs are around, but when one of those high level FPS players hops in I can really feel the difference in skill level. These old bones just don't have the reflexes all you young whippersnappers do anymore. :P

Besides, I hear casting pays more anyway... :D

#14 CakeBandit

CakeBandit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSears, shopping for mech chassis.

Posted October 31 2012 - 02:18 PM

Mor4sso, what do you think about the idea of a separate spectator client_ Something that will let people watch/cast the game outside of the cockpit.
Posted Image

#15 Tezkat

Tezkat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 02:23 PM

View PostCakeBandit, on October 31 2012 - 02:18 PM, said:

Mor4sso, what do you think about the idea of a separate spectator client_ Something that will let people watch/cast the game outside of the cockpit.

Most of the time, FPS games are much, much more watchable from a third person POV. The lack of good tools to do that is probably one of the main reasons that other genres have totally eclipsed shooters in the eSports space.

Check out Firefall's spectator UI for a glimpse of what it could look like when done right.

#16 BuDeKai

BuDeKai

Some Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 02:42 PM

View Postmor4sso, on October 31 2012 - 10:39 AM, said:

who did u play for_ did u play bf2 or 42_

Posted Image

ive started streaming. the quality is fuzzy bunny but id appreciate any support
http://www.twitch.tv/budekai
also be sure to tune into The COCKPIT Hawken show! ---> http://community.pla...astshow-121212/

#17 mor4sso

mor4sso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 03:04 PM

View PostBernardWiseman, on October 31 2012 - 12:08 PM, said:

Cultivating an e-sports scene in a game like this where you need to invest a lot of time in grinding your mech to full customization is next to impossible.

Not really. In Battlefield 3, which has plenty of progression and unlocks. We play on private, unranked servers with everything unlocked. Same could be done for Hawken.

Hawken devs have already talked to MLG, and I think hawken is on their play list for 2013. They're also mentioned in random interviews some of their spectator mode plans. They sounded good, and like they were thinking about what would be good e-sports spectating, not what would just be a bare minimum.

Thats great to hear. MLG would be a BIG step in the right direction.

HAWKEN has the gameplay mechanics down, it just needs the back end tools for it to be considered a truly competitive game.

View Posthestoned, on October 31 2012 - 01:31 PM, said:

haha i remember this match. I think some on my team were a little new but great team players. Played like 3-4 games in a row with them. I EMP'ed your ass at the end too lol.

First time playing that map, I had no idea where I was going! :P

View PostTezkat, on October 31 2012 - 01:39 PM, said:

Nice vid. It's great to watch highly skilled players at work. You might want to do something about all that audio popping though (mic positioning and whatnot)...

View Postmor4sso, on October 31 2012 - 11:46 AM, said:

The eSports features have been in the works for a while. They're currently in negotiations with both MLG and ESL to get Hawken in front of competitive gamers and audiences.

If you're interested in learning more, Batgirl was at the Valencia eSports Congress back in September speaking about some of the ways eSports influenced their early game design  philosophies. (Check out the Liquipedia page for VODs; you want the "game developers" panel.) And Khang Le discusses their eSports plans and features in some depth in the WCG interviews he did at NYCC a few weeks ago.

They have plans for some cool observer features (e.g. heatmaps) that simply haven't been done before.

I too hope we'll have a chance to test out some of those observer features before launch.

Glad to hear all the E-Sports talks. That gets me really excited! E-sports keeps these kinds of games alive!

View PostCakeBandit, on October 31 2012 - 02:18 PM, said:

I think there should definitely be a external spectator mode. Either in game or outside of game. Spectators need to be able to fly around the map and see things from all perspectives.

That being said, I DO NOT support a 3rd person camera for players. I think that would have some really detrimental effects on the flow and design of the game.

View PostBuDeKai, on October 31 2012 - 02:42 PM, said:

View Postmor4sso, on October 31 2012 - 10:39 AM, said:

who did u play for_ did u play bf2 or 42_

I play for the Minions in BF3. I didn't play BF2 or 42 competitively, but I'm friends with a few guys from 20ID.

Edited by mor4sso, October 31 2012 - 03:05 PM.

#18 Talesin

Talesin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted October 31 2012 - 04:46 PM

Exactly this. I mean, just look at League of Legends. Next to no one is playing that competitively, and it has a similar level-up and customization mechanic, with unlockable characters and specific customization options.
Plus no one spends any time scrimming or just running in PUGs/pubbing and incidentally earning XP/HP, or learning the dynamics of a different mech before taking it into a competitive match.

What's that_ More viewers for the LoL world championships than SC2_ UNPOSSIBLE!

Edited by Talesin, October 31 2012 - 04:46 PM.

Win7-64, Core i7 920@2.67GHz, 48GB RAM, Radeon HD6870, 6004x1080 @ Ultra
Devs, PLEASE ensure proper Eyefinity support!

#19 NotKjell

NotKjell

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 04:57 PM

View PostTalesin, on October 31 2012 - 04:46 PM, said:

Exactly this. I mean, just look at League of Legends. Next to no one is playing that competitively, and it has a similar level-up and customization mechanic, with unlockable characters and specific customization options.
Plus no one spends any time scrimming or just running in PUGs/pubbing and incidentally earning XP/HP, or learning the dynamics of a different mech before taking it into a competitive match.

What's that_ More viewers for the LoL world championships than SC2_ UNPOSSIBLE!

Posted Image

#20 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 05:07 PM

It takes a week to level one class.  A week if you're slow.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users