HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

[Suggestion] Siege mode Ballance

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 The_Ulf

The_Ulf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 10:53 AM

Really enjoying the beta so far, absolutely love Siege mode.  I think the energy collection points operate wonderfully (with the depletion/regeneration rates encouraging spreading out and trying to secure both instead of clustering on one) and the focus of the match shifts with great tempo between collecting and pushing/securing the AA.

My brief suggestion based on my experience with it so far: the battleships could stand to be more resilient to mech fire.  As it stands, I think a turtling, defensive team that doesn't secure the AA can stalemate the game a little too strongly by focus-firing the enemy battleship out of the sky.  It should still be a viable option to take it out after a few missiles have hit it, but not full to dead without contesting the hill.  Shooting down the battleship should be doable enough to encourage the attacking team to advance from the AA and engage the defenders, to prevent them from shooting down a weakened battleship and forcing a score, but not so much that holding the AA isn't actually necessary to prevent scoring.

#2 SilentCid

SilentCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 11:11 AM

View PostThe_Ulf, on October 31 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

Really enjoying the beta so far, absolutely love Siege mode.  I think the energy collection points operate wonderfully (with the depletion/regeneration rates encouraging spreading out and trying to secure both instead of clustering on one) and the focus of the match shifts with great tempo between collecting and pushing/securing the AA.

My brief suggestion based on my experience with it so far: the battleships could stand to be more resilient to mech fire.  As it stands, I think a turtling, defensive team that doesn't secure the AA can stalemate the game a little too strongly by focus-firing the enemy battleship out of the sky.  It should still be a viable option to take it out after a few missiles have hit it, but not full to dead without contesting the hill.  Shooting down the battleship should be doable enough to encourage the attacking team to advance from the AA and engage the defenders, to prevent them from shooting down a weakened battleship and forcing a score, but not so much that holding the AA isn't actually necessary to prevent scoring.

Maybe have the battleship use some form of shielding that only the AA can destroy perhaps_ That way AA securing is a viable option.

Posted Image

#3 Toushikiba

Toushikiba

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 11:17 AM

Maybe have the battleship use some form of shielding that only the AA can destroy perhaps_ That way AA securing is a viable option.

That sounds like a good idea.

#4 knorp

knorp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationParis

Posted October 31 2012 - 11:20 AM

This, totally. Battleship is way to weak. Never seen one reaching the enemy base, enough said.

#5 Arcana13

Arcana13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 11:47 AM

@The_Ulf
It is kinda hard to balance things like this. Pub games in the beta consist of vets and newbs. You will always find someone in the team who doesn't get the idea of how to handle situations yet or just strolling like a jerk/camp in ridiculously stupid spots. I often find myself to be the only one trying to disturb the enemy base while they shoot down our ship despite my mates doing a great job of defending the aa before that.

To see if it is really imbalanced you will prolly need to wait for another beta phase with more players and more time for them to get the hang of the meta game. Right now it never occurred to me that shooting down the ship without aa is imba since I haven't played a game with coordinated enemies where all would camp from start to finish to gun down that ship (only see 3-4 ppl doing it at a time, and most of the time I can manage to disturbe them or they are too late anyway). Sure thing is that you can gun down the ship pretty fast but like you mention above the attackers can also team up and try to spawn camp the enemy base. Both sides need to be coordinated to determine the balance of the outcome. It is not possible to judge during cbt-1 (that applys to alot of other balancing suggestions posted by newbs too).

Some beta newbs post kinda horrible feedback while not having enough experience with the game which is bugging me alot. Your thread is fine though : ).

View PostSilentCid, on October 31 2012 - 11:11 AM, said:

maybe a damage-redution-shield that will only let half (or any other number) of the incoming damage through so that you have to break it with the aa to be efficient with mech weapons.

View Postknorp, on October 31 2012 - 11:20 AM, said:

This, totally. Battleship is way to weak. Never seen one reaching the enemy base, enough said.
siege matches ends only if one base is down so atleast 3 ships hits one of the bases ; D nuff said.

edit: some vets user mentioned in other threads that the battleships gets more health and better weapons with each spawn. So on the long run it will get harder to gun down that thing with just mech weapons anyway.

Edited by Arcana13, October 31 2012 - 01:12 PM.

#6 marshalade

marshalade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • LocationGasland, Pa, USA

Posted November 18 2012 - 01:16 PM

Honestly, the battleship could use around 30-35% more armor. That is equivalent to 1 or 2 more AA missiles, but a decent bit more fire from enemy mechs to take it down. I feel this amount would require the use of the AA to bring a battleship down, the opposing team could not just hide in their base and shoot it down. This would add to the intensity of the battle for the AA, and team tactics in general.

Posted Image
A tidal wave of marshalade...

#7 Phaaze

Phaaze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • Location123 Mulburry St. Whoville Ontario Canada

Posted November 19 2012 - 07:29 PM

I just think it would be fun if you could still collect energy after ships are up and get a bunch of ships in the air at once JUST to see what happens. XD

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users