HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

1v1 Duel Mode

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Poll: 1v1 Duel Mode (31 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you in favor of a 1v1 Duel mode_

1. Yes (21 votes [67.74%])

Percentage of vote: 67.74%

2. Dont care (6 votes [19.35%])

Percentage of vote: 19.35%

3. No (4 votes [12.90%])

Percentage of vote: 12.90%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Zeshi

Zeshi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted November 02 2012 - 09:51 AM

I'm kind of surprised this has not been suggested before (used the search function but i admit i may have missed something).

I would enjoy a simple 1v1 duel mode, maybe first to 10 kills wins or something like that. I would also consider disabling items to avoid "you killed me now i get a free emp kill on you".

The current maps would probably be too large to support such a mode but theirs a pretty simply fix, just cut out a corner of Andromeda or pretty much any existing map.

Am i alone in this_ Personally i hope not :P
Posted Image

#2 DDwarrior

DDwarrior

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted November 02 2012 - 09:59 AM

I'm certainly not against this however, this is something that could be easily arranged between players.  I'll appreciate the mode but can't really argue a justified reason to make a specific mode.
When I've launched onto the battlefield, torn my enemies to shreds.  I stride through the field and listen, I see a ping.  I quietly take my time moving into position, it pings.  I see him...but he doesn't see me.  That feeling of making someone feel defenseless in that moment.  It is glorious!

"I5-2400 3.3Ghz, 16GB Corsair 1600Mhz, MSI 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 660Ti, COOLER MASTER HAF 912, GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H, LSP 750 PRO,  500GB Sata 6GB"

#3 Zeshi

Zeshi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted November 02 2012 - 10:02 AM

View PostDDwarrior, on November 02 2012 - 09:59 AM, said:

I'm certainly not against this however, this is something that could be easily arranged between players.  I'll appreciate the mode but can't really argue a justified reason to make a specific mode.

True, but what if you just want to 1v1 vs some random person_ And whats to stop a 3rd person person from joining the game_
Posted Image

#4 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 02 2012 - 10:09 AM

1vs1 or duels are a must, IMHO. Fit extremely well in tournaments, clan activities or as general game mode. I'm stating all that from a simple and pure hardcore fan/player standpoint.

I'll advocate in favor of 1vs1 in Hawken now and always!

P.D. I can see one new map, with several rooms or arenas, in which several duels can be simultaneously played on there... lemme dream for a while! :D

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#5 Sugarrnspice

Sugarrnspice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted November 02 2012 - 10:17 AM

yes, a bigger map with seperated duel areas with a rotation of 1v1s would be glorious. Unfortunately limited to casual play/practicing as the current class system is not balanced 1v1 combat. sharpshoooter really has no chance against a rocketeer  1v1 even on a large map in my experience. If he does get a snipe off, i heal too quickly, and he ususally will run up to me to try and finish, closing the distance for me nicely :)

#6 Thrull

Thrull

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted November 02 2012 - 10:24 AM

Best way to do this, in my humble opinion:

Give it the regular cap of 16 players, but make it a king-of-the-hill style survival tournament.  First two players randomly face off, winner fights the next player in line.  The rest spectate each fight while waiting for their turn.  Perhaps there's a queue for those who want to jump in.  That way everyone else is watching the duels, planning their mech selection, or just enjoying the spectator aspect.

Duels need spectators.  They're all about bragging rights anyway.

#7 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 02 2012 - 10:33 AM

Although I'd really like to playtest that what you say above on pure 1vs1 between 2 distinct classes.. what comes to my mind now is a map in which we could play duels on 3 different arenas. One for A mech duels, one area for B classes, one for C mechas.. and 1 more arena in which pilots might play Free Class Duels. I'm raising my eyebrows as I'm typing this... I've to admit! :D

Edit: @Thrull -> Spectator/s would be great, indeed! - Live casts anyone_

Edited by The_Silencer, November 02 2012 - 10:35 AM.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#8 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 02 2012 - 11:03 AM

I say, why not_

It's always fun to work out a grudge or just try to prove your dominance on a 1v1 basis.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#9 Crabbit

Crabbit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted November 02 2012 - 12:03 PM

I support this. It would be fun to test/benchmark your mech loadout with friends. Smaller maps are a must.

#10 Dyson

Dyson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted November 02 2012 - 01:57 PM

Reminds me of arena mode in Armored Core which is my favorite mode of all time.  I would suggest a mode where it's 8, 1v1 matches, the winners fight eachother, losers become spectators, then 4 1v1 matches, then a final match.  The losers become spectators.  Could also be 16 people if servers can support it.

#11 Arcana13

Arcana13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted November 02 2012 - 02:01 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 02 2012 - 11:03 AM, said:

It's always fun to work out a grudge or just try to prove your dominance on a 1v1 basis.

In future imma be playin and eatin ma chickn wings then some n00b's gonna bang me whiles me drop dem hot wings 'n he gonna go leik "dayumn i eym so dayum hot" n i leik "no you ain't" aynd he leik "ya a fuzzn bunn" n iam leik "1vs1" aynd he leik "get@me bunny" then laterz i drop em ez 10-0 lolz whiles em goes leik boo-hoo... end of the future.

Imo there won't be much of competative elements to watch and enjoy at. Watcha all expect to see_ I see infiltrators side dashing round some containers trying to poke shots at each other. I can immagine it to be fun to goof off with your friends in a custom room with password and player limitations. Other than that I believe 1vs1 would just benefits "dem huge e-peen egos"

Edited by Arcana13, November 03 2012 - 01:45 AM.

#12 NIGHTRAV3N

NIGHTRAV3N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted November 03 2012 - 04:03 AM

1v1 and 2v2 would be great to have in HAWKEN to express frag dominance and concentrated team play.  An addition of multi-team game types of 2v2v2v2v2/3v3v3v3 would be amazingly fun as well!!

"God is not on the side of battalions, but on the side that shoots best"

#13 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 03 2012 - 12:06 PM

You may also additionally check this thread I opened many months ago.

Again, what comes to my mind is not only a way to improve certain basic pilot skills via playing 1vs1, 2vs2.. fights but interesting possibilities for the tournaments and/or Clan realms.

Edited by The_Silencer, November 03 2012 - 12:08 PM.

Posted Image

#14 Subdivision

Subdivision

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted November 03 2012 - 02:43 PM

A 1v1 mode doesn't really fit into the whole team based competitive thing. To me the excitement of the game will be getting together with others to work together, get better and crush others. I don't feel it is needed and I do not get as much fun out of solo game modes. If it were to be implemented I wouldn't use it, nor would I accept any challenges so for me I have said no. Anything to detract from the high level team based competitive play for me isn't a helpful or useful feature. Nor do I think it is a necessary feature to train/practice on.

I do however like the ideas mentioned for multi-team modes for smaller teams. 2v2v2v2, 3v3v3 type stuff would be crazy but I imagine to balance out such a system would be extremely hard and challenging. Something like that which maintains team play is of more interest to me.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users