HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Re-Enable console

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 scoutcamper

scoutcamper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted November 05 2012 - 08:25 AM

I dont know about anyone else, but i quite enjoyed playing against the AI Bots. Perhaps the console can be enabled before and after the closed beta_

#2 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 05 2012 - 08:55 AM

That would be cool.. although the guys at AG and ME must have their good reasons to disable the console at this stage.

Just my personal opinion though..

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#3 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 05 2012 - 09:22 AM

behindview, to begin with, would give people unfair advantage around corners and such.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#4 BeefC4ke

BeefC4ke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted November 05 2012 - 09:54 AM

I think they disabled it because people were accessing things they shouldn't have and reporting "bugs" about them. Plus, like Elix said, there are some commands available that players shouldn't have access too.

They may give us back a more basic version but I don't see why they would bother.
/Merf-isms - What will he come up with next_

dirtnapgaming.com

#5 scoutcamper

scoutcamper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted November 05 2012 - 07:28 PM

I am thinking that it could be enabled when the beta servers are not running, which would enable those of us who want to practice to practice, and the console should be disabled when the servers are running.

#6 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 06 2012 - 06:50 AM

View Postscoutcamper, on November 05 2012 - 07:28 PM, said:

I am thinking that it could be enabled when the beta servers are not running, which would enable those of us who want to practice to practice, and the console should be disabled when the servers are running.
They can't just flip it on and off like that. It's set on the EXE level; they'd have to send out a new EXE.
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#7 scoutcamper

scoutcamper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted November 07 2012 - 01:07 PM

I am aware of that, however i have written enough programs to know that in the source code it will simple be a few lines of commented out code, uncomment it, and send a patch. This should not be that big of a burden...

#8 CaliberMengsk

CaliberMengsk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationNear St. Louis

Posted November 07 2012 - 02:06 PM

View PostDarkPulse, on November 06 2012 - 06:50 AM, said:

View Postscoutcamper, on November 05 2012 - 07:28 PM, said:

They can't just flip it on and off like that. It's set on the EXE level; they'd have to send out a new EXE.

O-o And that's hard why_ They way they do things is through a launcher to begin with, so the core game exe is updateable. O-o There is no reason really that they couldn't do it as they generally will update the EXE anyway for new debugging tools, statistics, and changes to core things like shader support and better lighting systems and so on.

Furthermore, they proved that it's not only easy, but is a small file as they updated the exe just before beta 1 started from alpha 2 to where you didn't have the console.

So it's not hard.

Also, on the progmatic level, they can make a setting for it to be enabled/disabled to where it's practically a checkbox (just change a variable from true to false to turn it off, and have an if statement around the console activation control).

Either way, I don't care about most of the commands myself. Switch team, say, teamsay and open/load should be enabled though (say and teamsay are, but the others aren't)

O-o to long of a post for what this was.

Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/calibermengsk

Co-Owner of the BSB.

Join the Brotherhood.
Posted Image

http://bsb-gaming.com

#9 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 08 2012 - 10:58 AM

View PostCaliberMengsk, on November 07 2012 - 02:06 PM, said:

O-o And that's hard why_ They way they do things is through a launcher to begin with, so the core game exe is updateable. O-o There is no reason really that they couldn't do it as they generally will update the EXE anyway for new debugging tools, statistics, and changes to core things like shader support and better lighting systems and so on.

Furthermore, they proved that it's not only easy, but is a small file as they updated the exe just before beta 1 started from alpha 2 to where you didn't have the console.

So it's not hard.
Sure, but it doesn't mean they're under an obligation to do it, and furthermore, from what I heard, console isn't supposed to be enabled in the first place.

I'll see if it works in CBE2 once those servers go live, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did not.

View PostCaliberMengsk, on November 07 2012 - 02:06 PM, said:

Also, on the progmatic level, they can make a setting for it to be enabled/disabled to where it's practically a checkbox (just change a variable from true to false to turn it off, and have an if statement around the console activation control).

Either way, I don't care about most of the commands myself. Switch team, say, teamsay and open/load should be enabled though (say and teamsay are, but the others aren't)

O-o to long of a post for what this was.
That's basically what it is - a boolean value in the code that, if enabled, allows the console, otherwise it disables it.

If they do it, it's their choice, but we shouldn't expect them to. That and, realistically, the time period between last beta ending and this beta starting was a week and a half. It looks like we're going to have a few, quicker cycles, as opposed to only one more beta.

So you'll probably just have to find something else to play in the downtime, is all :P
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users