HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Post match Siege mode cinematic

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 NIGHTRAV3N

NIGHTRAV3N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted November 05 2012 - 04:45 PM

I like the idea of where AG is going with the ship explosions and what not, but I can't help but notice it can feel a bit bland.

Do you guys even care about the explosion sequence at all_ Would you rather have it stripped all together and get on with the next match_

From A2-CBE1 I like the new enhancements of the explosion sequence post match, but I feel like a bit more effort can be put Into it so it's more enjoyable after a long match. Could be just me and thinking about it too much, but I feel like it can use an upgrade come CBE2.

Is it the point at which the camera is located or is the explosion sequence losing that "blockbuster" feel to it_

As a kid growing up one of my many favorite games had to be Star Fox64. The visuals were appealing for it's time and the gameplay was fun, but the explosions after sending the death train off course or killing a boss was amazing and felt worth while for the time put in to finishing the task. The explosions would be a giant chain reaction of awesomeness and as a kid it delivered the sense of accomplishment and destruction laid before you on the screen.

That was the first thought I had once I saw the Siege post match explosion sequence and felt right away it could be 'amped up.' The explosions feel too controlled like a demolition rig and lacks the feel of the structure totally being blown apart.

Maybe the addition of camera interaction to the scene is needed to reach past the 'fourth wall' to influence the user a bit more. An addition like having the camera shake, crack, or get dusted with particles/shrapnel of the explosion could aid in bringing a richer explosion sequence.

I love this game and the team behind it, but I just want to see their creative soul pushed a bit more:]

What is your thoughts on this subject_

"God is not on the side of battalions, but on the side that shoots best"

#2 Culex

Culex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted November 05 2012 - 06:00 PM

Isn't it odd that the mode consists of ships flying into bases in the first place_ Sounds a little too 9/11. Or in the original Starcraft, Tassadar flying his carrier into the Overmind. Regardless, I like the idea of having a bit more of an epic ending.

Hey, how about depending on how close the game was (1-0 bars remaining), the more epic the final cutscene was_ Maybe like different endings for different scores_ Yea just trying to be creative, but it's probably more work than the game needs. Even if the the base exploded in a different fashion each time, it would be a cool little feature, so it makes the cutscene a little extra special.

I am matter... I am antimatter... I can see your past... I can see your future...

I consume time... And I will consume you!
Posted Image

#3 NIGHTRAV3N

NIGHTRAV3N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted November 05 2012 - 07:14 PM

That is a great idea for a feature, but I know that might be more effort to put into that scene then needed. That's why I was suggesting something rather easy and quick to do; In return something as little as camera involvement and audio alteration could make for a better scene while being cost effective.

#4 ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Muscles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • LocationDown Under/invading US west servers

Posted November 05 2012 - 08:29 PM

+1, would be cool to see the base collapsing also :)
Posted Image
Me: Youtube | Drop Bears
Guides: Hawken Tips and Tricks | Fraps + Compression | Lag + Gaming
Rig: i7-920 + H50 | MSI X58A-GD45 | Corsair Dominator 12GB | 2x EVGA GTX 660TI SC+ 3GB | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB | Corsair HX1000 | CM HAF932

#5 Lazoraz

Lazoraz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted November 05 2012 - 07:38 PM

Personally I would LOVE a more... story oriented experience. I've grown bored of most games that has multiplayer that just "throws random characters into a deathmatch." Granted I fully understand that it's intent is for the game, not the story. But as of recently I've been looking for games that make you feel like you are actually part of a story when fighting, not just killing randoms in a sealed off area. This game is giving me that vibe, so I hope they stick to it. So I agree with most of what you say and more, however I imagine that compedetive play should be able to turn it off. Unless they prefer a few moments for a break. :P

I'm a weirdo when it comes to games. I have to know the story, what's being fought for. And if the game incorporates a story into the multiplayer, I'm very happy. Bonus points if they somehow affect the single player story, or vice versa.
Ctrl-F-U

#6 Parias

Parias

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted November 05 2012 - 08:08 PM

Nope, not weird at all... I too tend to lean more towards singleplayer gaming, and shy towards anything that is "just deathmatch". I'm hoping Hawken does transition into a more storyline-oriented experience at some point.

#7 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 06 2012 - 05:15 AM

You guys do remember this could well just be placeholder, right_

It doesn't need to be mega-pretty in closed beta, or even open beta. Plus a destructable base is a bit harder to make in UDK than what is basically happening (they're triggering explosion effects on the base Static Mesh).
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#8 NIGHTRAV3N

NIGHTRAV3N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted November 06 2012 - 06:35 AM

Yes I'm totally aware of that. I was just wanting to discuss it and see what others thought about it. Didn't intend to be a gripe or anything; Just wanted to have a healthy collective discussion on it ;)

#9 TerranCmdr

TerranCmdr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted November 06 2012 - 09:38 AM

Here's an idea - have the enemy base collapse while you're still in control of your mech.  It would be kind of like when the radio tower falls in the BF3 map Caspian Border.  The base would explode, then the building could collapse on itself, sending out a massive dust cloud, blanking out your viewport and ending the round.  You could even have your mech get knocked down by the shockwave.  I think that would be cool and immersive. :)
Awesome Sentium logo in my avatar by erathic

#10 Rotaken

Rotaken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationMilk cartoon

Posted November 07 2012 - 02:05 PM

View PostArnieF4440, on November 05 2012 - 08:29 PM, said:

+1, would be cool to see the base collapsing also :)

+1 for the collapsing base.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users