HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Do hills serve a good advantage_

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DDwarrior

DDwarrior

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted November 06 2012 - 09:05 AM

I noticed something in my play.

Enimies just behind a hill or elevated location would show just the top of there mech.  They can't see you but can you can get free shots off them and they sometimes don't know what the hell is happening.  C mech are prone to this it seems due to the shields they carry on top (I haven't compared mech heights if there is any difference)

The topic is a little off but I just seem to be finding some nice ways to fight back against opponents who have higher ground, so long as you have cover to use like them.

The main difference being, certain heights are much harder to pursue(side of bridge) compared to say something like a hill.

(I have to give this topic more thought since it seems to be specific to the overall terrain and not just height in and of itself.)

Edited by DDwarrior, November 06 2012 - 09:06 AM.

When I've launched onto the battlefield, torn my enemies to shreds.  I stride through the field and listen, I see a ping.  I quietly take my time moving into position, it pings.  I see him...but he doesn't see me.  That feeling of making someone feel defenseless in that moment.  It is glorious!

"I5-2400 3.3Ghz, 16GB Corsair 1600Mhz, MSI 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 660Ti, COOLER MASTER HAF 912, GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H, LSP 750 PRO,  500GB Sata 6GB"

#2 Subdivision

Subdivision

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted November 06 2012 - 10:22 AM

Players should be concious of how visible and exposed they are and realise when on a elevated position due to the mechanics of the weapons being quite low down relatively speaking, that they may not be able to shoot back. A good instance of this is on titan when shooting anyone at the bottom of the ravine from the AA or top level. Looking over the edge, weapons can often catch the platform when firing and this can also occur if shooting over the brow of a hill.

There are advantages to high ground as in any combat situation but also a few things people should be aware of. There is a lack of cover in the level design of the current maps in these areas so you can be left extremely exposed if caught off guard. I haven't noticed being caught out at all in my C class but I don't hang around in open space much myself.

Posted Image

#3 SirMilagres

SirMilagres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationBrasil

Posted November 06 2012 - 12:04 PM

Well, you gotta keep in mind that, when you fire you show to the enemy team in their radar as a red dot AND the guy who you're firing can tell where he is being shot from. So unless you're targeting a mech that is already busy on another fight, you'll be easily spotted.
Best weapon on a zombie outbreak_ Mechs.

#4 Brave_Sir_Robin

Brave_Sir_Robin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationNearby the model of Camelot

Posted November 06 2012 - 12:17 PM

View PostSirMilagres, on November 06 2012 - 12:04 PM, said:

Well, you gotta keep in mind that, when you fire you show to the enemy team in their radar as a red dot AND the guy who you're firing can tell where he is being shot from. So unless you're targeting a mech that is already busy on another fight, you'll be easily spotted.

This is assuming that no one is using a radar scrambler in your immediate area, but otherwise, yeah.

Posted Image

Need some advice on your next Mech_ Check out this thread!

#5 SirMilagres

SirMilagres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationBrasil

Posted November 06 2012 - 12:42 PM

View PostBrave_Sir_Robin, on November 06 2012 - 12:17 PM, said:

This is assuming that no one is using a radar scrambler in your immediate area, but otherwise, yeah.

But none of that would work with a skilled player either. He'll know where you're shooting from. He even know before you actually shot. Actually, YOU won't have the slightest idea he's at, and you'll get shot, and die, countless times, to the same fuzzy bunny person.
not my case, unfortunately

Edited by SirMilagres, November 06 2012 - 12:42 PM.

Best weapon on a zombie outbreak_ Mechs.

#6 Immie

Immie

Dev Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted November 07 2012 - 05:55 AM

Here's a fun one: If two players are standing on the slope of a hill, (neither of them is actually at the top or bottom of it of it) the guy who is lower in altitude actually has the advantage; it's much easier for him to hit the ground under his target with splash damage. His angle of fire intersects with the ground, while the guy on top is shooting parallel to it- it's still possible to hit it, but the region you're aiming for will be much slimmer.

Posted Image

#7 Rotaken

Rotaken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationMilk cartoon

Posted November 07 2012 - 06:24 AM

View PostBrave_Sir_Robin, on November 06 2012 - 12:17 PM, said:

If the enemy has highground it shows as a little yellow arrow pointing above the red dot. Scrambler only makes false radar signatures on your current elevation ATM so it's rather easy to spot an enemy that has hg and is shooting/moving. It's actually easier to spot an enemy who has hg and is shooting and using scrambler IMO.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users