HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Internals

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Firemac

Firemac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted November 06 2012 - 07:00 PM

What is the purpose of internals_ At first I thought that internals worked a lot like, if not exactly like, Optimization. What I mean is that I thought that each pilot would choose between either an offensive, defensive, or movement internal. But after the beta I realized that you could have one of each so I have to ask what their purpose is in the game.

Optimization has a purpose in that each pilot can customize how they want their mech to run, whether it be a faster mech, tougher mech, or harder hitting mech. But internals allow the pilot to have all three so there is no choice involved in the process. To me this just gives an upper hand to people who have played more or have payed over new comers.

A long time ago I made a post offering the idea that instead of being flat stat boosts internals could be small ingame enhancements. One example would be 'Gain a 10% speed boost for 5 seconds after repairing to full health'. But now I just want internals to not exist anymore.

So my questions are:
As internals are now, what is their purpose_
Do ya'll think that internals should stay the way they are_
If yes, why_
If no, what changes could be made to internals_

#2 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 06 2012 - 07:31 PM

Internals are there just to give a little extra to your mech. It's a nice option to gain some benefits from a tree you didn't spec into.

I think internals are fine, but I'd love it if they were more varied and less about being straight up stat buffs.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#3 Firemac

Firemac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted November 06 2012 - 09:22 PM

Yes but it seems like a boost for no reason.
Its true that each internal set (offense, defense, movement) has multiple options but I feel like at some point it is going to be apparent that each internal set has its best option. Then it will just be a matter of who owns it and who doesn't.

#4 BeefC4ke

BeefC4ke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted November 06 2012 - 09:53 PM

Certain internals are better for certain weapon types. I tend to base my choice on things like my optimization tree choices and my mech's unique ability.

Because of those things I don't really see a single internal being best for each slot. I can see maybe a choice between 2 being top priority but it really depends on how you're trying to set everything up as a whole unit.
/Merf-isms - What will he come up with next_

dirtnapgaming.com

#5 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 06 2012 - 10:02 PM

View PostFiremac, on November 06 2012 - 09:22 PM, said:

Yes but it seems like a boost for no reason.
Its true that each internal set (offense, defense, movement) has multiple options but I feel like at some point it is going to be apparent that each internal set has its best option. Then it will just be a matter of who owns it and who doesn't.
There's enough options that there's no clear choice about what is best no matter what.
The best internal depends on how you are specced.

(Bare with me, as I don't recall all the internals perfectly)

Say you have a C-Class Brawler that you've optimized for maximum health and heavy defense.
Your Offensive internal will be whatever fits your playstyle, and maybe you'll take a +boost speed in Support to help get your fat butt around quicker, but the best Defensive option would be the +health internal.

But that all changes if your running something like a Damage specced Rocketeer or a mobility specced Infiltrator.
The Rocketeer is likely to benefit from +Damage offensives, +DamageResist defensives, and Support will probably be based on pure preference.
An mobility specced Infil running with a HEAT cannon would benefit best from a +Explosive Damage Offensive, +HealRate Defensive and probably something like a +FuelRegen Support.

It all works out rather well I think.
Depending on how you optimize your mech, you may not always want +Damage, you may benefit more from +SecondaryFirerate.
A hit and run mech will benefit from +HealRate better than +DamageResist or +Health.
A big lumbering C-Class mech may be better off taking a +BoostSpeed over +FuelRegen or larger tanks.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#6 GunsnButter

GunsnButter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • LocationMS, USA

Posted November 06 2012 - 10:24 PM

I've been using the heat offensive internal to make the assault rifle last a tad bit longer (until I get off my arse and learn how to Heat Cannon people properly...), fuel regen support, and +50 HP defensive internal. I tend to play like a more mobile brawler, but without the flak cannon I've been rather lost... still trying to figure out how to play properly :D

#7 NotKjell

NotKjell

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted November 06 2012 - 10:25 PM

Any mech I run uses +50 HP and +2.2 boost speed. The only variation is +5% bullet/explosive damage if my weapons match damage types, -0.5 secondary reload if they don't. I see no reason for anything else at the moment.

My concerns are things that give me an advantage against someone of equal skill. +50 HP is obvious as no damage reduction will mean more than 50 HP and +2.2 speed has utility in a fight+the ability to get between points quicker. Offensive internal is simply what gives the most damage. To me things like +30 healing rate, +0.7 Fuel regen etc. are more pub-stompy. They help you heal up and get between killing inferior players faster, but against head-to-head with someone of equal skill using combat internals you should lose the majority of the time.

I like internals and think they are cool, but more varied or creative effects would be nice. Not just pure stat boosts, but 'abilities' to some small degree even.

Posted Image

High-level Hawken discussion and play wednesdays at 7:00 PST http://www.twitch.tv/thecockpit

#8 Immie

Immie

Dev Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted November 07 2012 - 06:02 AM

The framework of internals is fine, but the effects they give are not balanced and incredibly boring.

Here is a thread that elaborates on this issue. IMO, internals would bring a lot more to the game if they were made into potent stylistic choices; more powerful bonuses, but also negative effects to balance them out.

Posted Image

#9 Firemac

Firemac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted November 07 2012 - 08:18 AM

JoyKiller,
You make a great point. I had not realized that the heat cannon counted as explosive damage and benefited from that internal (though I had speculated). I agree that internals, as they are right now, have some kind of interesting synchronizations, like a sniper getting the +%5 bullet damage cause he doesn't have explosives, but it could be better in my opinion. Because we already see these kind of choices in the Optimization tree, i.e. in the same aspect a sniper can just go down the offense tree but only get the components that boost bullet damage and leave the explosives damage alone.

View PostNotKjell, on November 06 2012 - 10:25 PM, said:

I like internals and think they are cool, but more varied or creative effects would be nice. Not just pure stat boosts, but 'abilities' to some small degree even.

That's what I was saying earlier. If internals were something like: 'Gain %_ rate of fire for _ seconds after activating an ability' then pilots would have to make greater choices. They would have to ask themselves "would this internal really benefit me." For an Infiltrator this internal is trash, but for say an Assault this internal would be great because faster rate of fire equals faster heating, but since the Weapon Coolant ability takes heating down to zero then this internal would excel.

Immie,
Thank you very much for the link. I think I might move most of my argument in that direction.

Edited by Firemac, November 07 2012 - 08:19 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users