HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Ways to enhance framerate_ Having issues.

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 gilligan156

gilligan156

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 08:26 AM

Hey everyone,

I participated in alpha as well as beta1 and one problem I've had in both is framerate.  There will be times that it's fine, but it tends to get choppy, especially while near other mechs or fighting.  Though that isn't always the case, it also happens when powering up the mech after a respawn or even if I'm just walking.

It makes it difficult to play the game, and is very distracting from what is otherwise a beautiful visual experience.

My computer isn't bad, I can run most games on the highest settings.  Hawken itself by default puts everything all the way up, but oddly enough, if I reduce the graphics settings to their minimums it doesn't really improve the framerate problem very much.  These are my specs, and mind that the processor has been unlocked to quad core:

CPU TYPE: AMD Phenom™ II X2 555 Processor
CPU SPEED: 3.22 GHz
SYSTEM MEMORY: 16 GB
VIDEO CARD MODEL: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series

So yeah, I'm a little puzzled.  Any ideas on ways to enhance the framerate for a smoother experience_

Edited by gilligan156, November 08 2012 - 08:27 AM.

#2 TheFrostnessMonster

TheFrostnessMonster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted November 08 2012 - 08:37 AM

I have noticed the same thing. Even though my specs are below yours, I can play BF3 on high settings at 1920/1200 and get around 40 FPS. Hawken goes on medium/high settings nicely. It was worse in Alpha 2, slightly better in the first beta, I hope they fix whatever the problem is soon. Because lag when you first spawn is never good in a firefight.

Edited by TheFrostnessMonster, November 08 2012 - 08:38 AM.

#3 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 08 2012 - 08:39 AM

Hawken is still unoptimized compared to a release-stage game, and this can cause some ugly performance drops when things get hairy, even on relatively beastly machines. Just keep that in mind.

That being said, you can tweak additional settings in the Hawken INI files that weren't exposed in the CBT1 client (I don't know about CBT2 yet), but it's not clear what's safe to change and what the safe limits are, so I don't have any specific suggestions. I was able to adjust my own quality down below the normal minimums and got a mild improvement, but the age of my machine is such that it's not a good comparison. (And the game looked like fuzzy bunny pellets. Seriously.)

One random tip: If you're spanning the game across more than one monitor (like, 3840x1080 for two 1920x1080 displays), that's a huge performance hit right now. I don't know that that's what you're doing, but it's something to avoid if you're worried about performance.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#4 MC_Toster

MC_Toster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 09:32 AM

View PostElix, on November 08 2012 - 08:39 AM, said:

One random tip: If you're spanning the game across more than one monitor (like, 3840x1080 for two 1920x1080 displays), that's a huge performance hit right now. I don't know that that's what you're doing, but it's something to avoid if you're worried about performance.

lol I cant get a decent framerate @1024x768 let alone spanning to multiple monitors ^^

edit:

i3 2100
8gb ddr3
2gb 560Ti

Edited by MC_Toster, November 08 2012 - 09:34 AM.

#5 gilligan156

gilligan156

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 10:52 AM

Sadly, I do not ball hard enough to have a multi-monitor display.  I run one 22" monitor at 1920x1080.

In alpha I got into that .ini and made a few tweaks to the min and max framerate settings like someone had suggested but I was under the understanding that the dev team had integrated those changed into the current build.

Well, hopefully Beta 2 will be better.  One more hour!

Edited by gilligan156, November 08 2012 - 10:52 AM.

#6 HazaRDReborN

HazaRDReborN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 10:55 AM

Strange, I have an intel i7 870 @2.94GHz (quad core), 8GB ddr3 ram at 2000 speed (pr whatever its called) and 2x GTX 460 on sli (the ones with 765mb memory not 1Gb) and also running on 2 monitors. The game is on one monitor but the fact that I have a 2nd one alone always creates a small drop in frames (sometimes unnoticeable) since the cards are configuring graphics for another monitor simultaneously.

With this rig I found Hawken on Closed Beta 1 to work just fine. As you saw I don't have a fuzzy bunny PC but I don't exactly have the latest in cutting edge either, and it is around 1 year old atm. Oh, the HDD I am running the game on is also not that crash hot, it was an older HDD. When I drop the graphic settings I see a significant boost in performance. Also, when running a program like fraps and recording on high settings I get larger frame drops, and lower settings fixes this. In my experience the low settings look good and run very smooth, even on Titan which was by my experience the level with the highest frame drop. It had the most detail. But other than that, without fraps, the game runs great even on full graphics.

Are you sure it isnt something else (other than the games' fault) on your system bringing frames down_

Running simultaneous programs can cause memory drain in cases we don't even pick up sometimes. I run Google chrome for example, and having it open on the 2nd monitor with around 20tabs (as I pretty much always do) creates a larger memory drain (you can see this in task manager too). I still keep it on but if frame drops persist on some games I close it and sometimes even disable the 2nd monitor.

Widgets create a drop in frames too. See if you have any of them open that again drain large amounts of memory without you knowing it.
I used to have 3 to 4 basic widgets always running, until I realised those damn little insignificant (as they seemed) things actually drained more memory than what I expected and believe was needed. I noticed a a 5 to 10 frame gain in games like RAGE. 5 to 10 might not be much, but if the game is running at 25fps 30 to 35 is actually indeed a difference.

Shooters are meant to run at 30fps (sometimes they even cap the frame rate in many shooter games so as not to go over 30fps, in those cases people think their pc's are dropping frames or the game isnt well developed, this isnt true it's just a frame cap.) Racing games and that sort need to run at 60fps. So if your Hawken experience isnt too much under 30fps you don't have a real problem.

Also check if you have the optimum drivers for your gpu. Some beta drivers that auto-update decrease performance due to testing new things out. Sometimes even the proper drivers decrease performance too. Keep that in mind and if you are running Win7 it's a good idea to do performance tests with one driver and then the other. I had updated to a newer driver that dropped my gpu score from 7.9 to 7.5 and I noticed significant frame drops too. I went back to the older driver until an even newer release came out, a month later or more, which fixed this problem.

Lastly, heat. Make sure your PC isnt overheating. If so, you will not see true performance until this is taken care of.

Intel chips also reduce their performance as soon as heat begins to surpass the trajectory max.
On my own pc, I delayed the cooling side of things a couple weeks (I made the whole rig up from scratch by myself so I had the opportunity to leave some small things out to compensate for them at a later time) and for that 1st phase of my PC the intel chips where working at 30% of their actual speed.

The performance drop was dramatic. Even in the Win7 performance score (which as you have probably guessed I use frequently to see if windows is actually seeing and using the hardware properly) from a 7.5 ranking it was at 6.5! I ran other tests too and it was working at just less than a 1/3 of it's actual performance. So cooling is a huge deal.

You might not have as big of a problem as I did (70% performance drop is simply out there) but you might have a 20% drop that you usually don't notice. Even if the cpu runs at 80% of its capacity it makes a difference. You might not have noticed this before because some other games don't push it that much_ Possibly better implemented games as well, but that does not mean Hawken is not well optimised. It just might not be as optimised as other games.

Your hardware from what I guess should run the game pretty much smoothly, especially when you drop the graphics down. So I am guessing something else might be bringing your rig back. Also, I quickly mentioned it before, the HDD you run the game on is also very important and sometimes much more important than other things if it is old. The space on your HDD as well as the rpms and so on. Check to see if this might be the problem with your performance too. Although, I kinda doubt it. Only the really fuzzy bunny or extremely old HDD's drop performance, but when they do, omg, they drop it in the most noticeable way. My secondary HDD from which I run games atm is rated at 5.9, which is pretty fuzzy bunny and old, and yet it is good enough to make the latest games run smooth. So, the HDD creating problems is a long shot but I thought I throw it in there too.

You should by my guesses have a very smooth experience for the hardware you own, especially at low settings. Check to see if something else is wrong with the way things work on your pc and make sure you don't have a large amount of memory wasted on unnecessary programs (either visible or unneeded running services from installed software). And if you do and believe they are necessary, try to be honest with yourself and see if they really are :P (I know I had plenty at times that tbh weren't really necessary, lol :D )

#7 MC_Toster

MC_Toster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 12:37 PM

you can have 5 chromes running on 8gb of ram, doesn't matter. What is shown in task manager is memory footprint, not all of it is in actual RAM, some of it is cached on HDD. The other reason is that HAWKEN is 32bit app and cannot utilize more then 2GB of RAM due to system restrictions.

The problem here is that when I run HAWKEN and look at the usage logs, my GPU is being only ~40-50% utilizied and my fps drops are HUGE. The second issue is the the CPU is also barley 60% utilized.
Third issue is that unreal engine 3, used to power HAWKEN, is used in many many more games, Unreal Tournament 3 is one example, and those games run in locked 60fps on my PC in max detail, 1920x1080.
Another issue is that fps drops are evident in fights even if nothing more then just a little bit of smoke is vissible.

I am pretty much certain that all this is due to both graphics and netcode engine are not optimized  as they should be. It might even be a server side issue since I saw HAWKEN run just fine in a local mode on presentations that were being made a long time ago.

on a side note, there is no SLi profile for HAWKEN (yet) so gtx460 768mb in SLi are not utilized, only one card is working, other is just puffing hot air. ;)

edit: there is nothing I can check since I don't have any issues with other games. It would be pointless to name all of them but I can name BF3 runing smooth in MP in almost max detail (some things I lower since they are redundant) in 1920x1080, CoD4 runs fine, Dirt 3 runs fine, crysis warhead and Crysis 2 on max settings run fine @around 40fps etc. Only bad console ports can be prolematic but I don't play those anyway.

Edited by MC_Toster, November 08 2012 - 12:42 PM.

#8 Saint_The_Judge

Saint_The_Judge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationThird World

Posted November 08 2012 - 01:02 PM

Sadly all framerate and frame drops issues I've been experienced since alpha got really worse now, at a point I better quit and wait for some fix. I don't know how many times I've said this is a big problem. People are probably full of my camplaints. But... aren't them reasonable_
Hope some day I can play Hawken like I play Rage, BF3, Crysis2, BLR (very same UDK engine), and other modern games: maxed out, FHD and smoothly.
See you when this time comes.
Cheers.
Once a girl asked me in a chat: "-ASL_" I answered: "- Very old, impotent, third world." And she got out the room. Posted Image

#9 Furlock

Furlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 03:22 PM

I think we need an official "low FPS" thread, but I'm posting my DxDiag file here, just to be safe.  Even on the lowest possible settings, I'm only getting 20-ish FPS on some maps, whereas the desert map on seige mode got me up to 80.  I could run Alpha 2 and Beta 1 on max settings with no problems at all.

Attached Files

#10 Barmyllama

Barmyllama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 03:28 PM

I'm getting low frame rates in lots of areas around the map. Doesn't matter which settings I choose I can't maintain a constant 60 FPS, which is surprising considering the low minimum specs required.

My PC is fairly decent:

i7 920 @3.8Ghz
6GB RAM
GTX 580
Windows 7 64bit
Latest Nvidia Driver 306.97 WHQL

#11 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 08 2012 - 03:31 PM

View Postgilligan156, on November 08 2012 - 08:26 AM, said:

Hey everyone,

I participated in alpha as well as beta1 and one problem I've had in both is framerate.  There will be times that it's fine, but it tends to get choppy, especially while near other mechs or fighting.  Though that isn't always the case, it also happens when powering up the mech after a respawn or even if I'm just walking.

It makes it difficult to play the game, and is very distracting from what is otherwise a beautiful visual experience.

My computer isn't bad, I can run most games on the highest settings.  Hawken itself by default puts everything all the way up, but oddly enough, if I reduce the graphics settings to their minimums it doesn't really improve the framerate problem very much.  These are my specs, and mind that the processor has been unlocked to quad core:

CPU TYPE: AMD Phenom™ II X2 555 Processor
CPU SPEED: 3.22 GHz
SYSTEM MEMORY: 16 GB
VIDEO CARD MODEL: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series

So yeah, I'm a little puzzled.  Any ideas on ways to enhance the framerate for a smoother experience_
The biggest problem is your CPU isn't exactly top-notch, and is basically bottlenecking the GPU. A Phenom II X2 in that range is about as good as an older (E6xxx series) Core 2 Duo.

Look here for a rather handy "Gaming CPU" chart.

Short-term answers are the usual: Lower settings, reduce resolution. Longer-term solution_ Upgrade. And for the love of god, don't pick another AMD system. Sorry, but Intel's current latest and greatest will do 30-45% better in games, which I'd say is worth the extra money.

Edited by DarkPulse, November 08 2012 - 03:33 PM.

Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#12 OneMoar

OneMoar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationBatavia Ny

Posted November 08 2012 - 06:54 PM

throwing more hardware at the issue is not gonna fix it a Phenom II x2 should be more then enough to keep a 6870 feed Especially if hes got it unlocked to a X4 people with Core i5's are having issues the UT3 engine needs a fine hand when it comes to Optimizations;  or it runs like sh!t Especially on dual cores

and its not 35% its more like ~15-20%(in single threaded loads) in mulithreaded loads that use AVX/SSE4 the pile-driver chips walk all over intel's offerings ~but thats another thread ....
edit: considering that the game is targeted free2play it better not need a Quad Core to run ....

Edited by OneMoar, November 08 2012 - 07:12 PM.

#13 Vespian

Vespian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 07:13 PM

Yeah, same here. I've got a pretty decent computer and in CBE1 and 2 I've had some serious FPS problems.

#14 HazaRDReborN

HazaRDReborN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 07:57 PM

View PostMC_Toster, on November 08 2012 - 12:37 PM, said:

you can have 5 chromes running on 8gb of ram, doesn't matter. What is shown in task manager is memory footprint, not all of it is in actual RAM, some of it is cached on HDD. The other reason is that HAWKEN is 32bit app and cannot utilize more then 2GB of RAM due to system restrictions.

The problem here is that when I run HAWKEN and look at the usage logs, my GPU is being only ~40-50% utilizied and my fps drops are HUGE. The second issue is the the CPU is also barley 60% utilized.
Third issue is that unreal engine 3, used to power HAWKEN, is used in many many more games, Unreal Tournament 3 is one example, and those games run in locked 60fps on my PC in max detail, 1920x1080.
Another issue is that fps drops are evident in fights even if nothing more then just a little bit of smoke is vissible.

I am pretty much certain that all this is due to both graphics and netcode engine are not optimized  as they should be. It might even be a server side issue since I saw HAWKEN run just fine in a local mode on presentations that were being made a long time ago.

on a side note, there is no SLi profile for HAWKEN (yet) so gtx460 768mb in SLi are not utilized, only one card is working, other is just puffing hot air. ;)

edit: there is nothing I can check since I don't have any issues with other games. It would be pointless to name all of them but I can name BF3 runing smooth in MP in almost max detail (some things I lower since they are redundant) in 1920x1080, CoD4 runs fine, Dirt 3 runs fine, crysis warhead and Crysis 2 on max settings run fine @around 40fps etc. Only bad console ports can be prolematic but I don't play those anyway.

I partially agree on most points. The x32 version might be a problem although I have found on many tests that even x32 games run better on x64 windows for the simple reason that even though the memory allocated to them might be smaller than what the system has, it is still in excess. What I mean is that a x32 system running a game with 3 point something GB ram maximum can give much less of that to the game as it splits it betwean services etc. A x64 system with 8gb ram or more doesnt even use a fraction of all that.

Anyway about that chrome thing, what you need to take to account sometimes is not just the memory, it is the processing. Having flash player work on 20 pages or so slows the system down no matter what you say against this. Some games are optimised better some are not, so examples of other games really don't help that much with comparison. Crysis 2 on ultra textures and DX11 had some issues for me with extra widgets running on the desktop although it may seem like it shouldnt. Rage is also a game that isnt optimised greatly and chrome created problems on that one as did widgets. Anyway, the point was supplementary on cpu usage as well as ram. When pages refresh after several counters or have background memory allocated in flash programs etc it does drop the cpu and ram, even if you have 32gb ram and that is I believe because the architecture in some things isnt using everything to maximum potential on windows one way or another. I mean, I run rendering on my 3DSmax and need to allocate more memory especially for mental ray video renders, and the damn thing (no matter how many settings I change or bypass) will never pass 50% or maximum 70% memory used.

Anyway, the sli profile is really not a big deal, many games don't have sli profiles, the sli does not work only on games that have a profile. Indeed a game needs to be made to utilise sli setting but even if it doesnt the structure is much faster than a single card. So that is the only point I kinda disagree with tbh. An sli, utilised or not, will give a 50-70% usage of a 2nd card. In some cases it might even drop down to a minimum of 30% usage, but it still creates a performance increase no matter if the game is optimised for it or not. being optimised for it simply means it will use it to full sli potential. Switching my sli on or off makes a difference for me in Hawken, and I believe I should have experienced many frame drops with the game if it was using only 768mb :/

I am very curious as to why some get performance drops. Maybe it is AIT cards_ I don't know. Would be great if they fix this problem if it is indeed so. I am at many times very hesitant on believing everything I hear on performance drops because, well, after 13 years of being involved with pc's and gaming and all the sort, over the years I have come across friends (online and real life) that where in the end doing something wrong on their rig XD So yeah, my default is usually that someone isnt doing something right, but that's just me. After those experiences I grew tired many times of having a worse computer than some and hearing them complain about performance issues when I experience none. So, maybe that makes me a little biased and the game needs indeed to be optimised. If so, I really hope they fix it so it can be played properly by everyone in the Hawken community. Other than that I just thought I point out some things that although are small, tend to create problems with some games. Now, provided that other games work better and others dont, I remind that the things I referred to are not standard for everything. I just think it might be things to look into when a game is seemingly less optimised for some settings. After all, the devs can't guess every single pc rig out there to make it work great on everything, and I have been on the end of a gamer experiencing less performance though found a way to work around it each time.

Anyway, you brought forward some good points. I really do hope that they optimise the game more if it is indeed creating problems for some :)

#15 HazaRDReborN

HazaRDReborN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 08:15 PM

View PostOneMoar, on November 08 2012 - 06:54 PM, said:

considering that the game is targeted free2play it better not need a Quad Core to run ....
Hmmmm. I respectfully disagree with you here. If a game is free2play or not does not change the quality of it. Why should a free2play game shy away from AAA quality in terms of graphics_ No, I believe that the two are not related with each other. A game (free or not) should be what it is designed to be. If they are looking for graphical quality that uses and utilses quad core then that is all the better. It then turns out into a free2play game with great quality, one that some people will after that be even happier to spend money on. I myself, if it had less quality that resembled other free2play games, would never have dropped a single dime on this title. The fact that they are pumping out these graphics (that I myself so far enjoy without performance issues) is something intriguing enough for me to consider purchases from the game-store. From there on, it is a shooter, more maps and mechs and so on are things that with the success of a title would be added. The main idea behind a shooter imo is to make it appealing, smooth and fun to play. Content quantity comes second to this all. Provided the foundation is great enough to utilize such graphics I am more than happy if on high graphical settings the game can push my system to it's limits. I mean, other than that, it's getting kinda lame nowadays. PC graphics are capped for so many reasons including consoles. Bringing another reason into the equation (free2play) to drop graphics or how heavy a game is designed, is really frustrating from my end as a PC gamer. It's time we started to come out of these restrictions. There are hundreds and hundreds of gamers out there that don't have half of their system potential used. I mean, even Crysis 2 (which i consider greatly optimised for PC's) with DX11 and ultra res textures and even with fraps on top, plays on a computer that was put together (from not the best parts of its time either) almost half a year before it's release with no problem at all, achieving graphics that make consoles drool. Hence, most rigs by now can handle such graphics. Time to make way for some more hardcore teched games imo ;) free2play or not ;)

#16 OneMoar

OneMoar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationBatavia Ny

Posted November 08 2012 - 08:16 PM

its more then just x64 vrs x32
having access to More then 2GB of of ram does not magically make it faster all that does it reduce load-times/stuttering/LOD/streaming related issues the engine needs to be Optimized simple as that in its debug config its slowwwwwwwww
problem is when you start trying to Optimize you create bugs the flip side to that is its harder to get useful data if the game is bouncing between 30-60fps

Edited by OneMoar, November 08 2012 - 08:22 PM.

#17 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 08 2012 - 08:34 PM

View PostOneMoar, on November 08 2012 - 08:16 PM, said:

its harder to get useful data if the game is bouncing between 30-60fps
Hard for who_ It's certainly not hard from a technical standpoint.

And if you think 30-60fps is a jarring transition, try 3-20fps. Running Hawken on a chalkboard, aww yeah.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#18 HawkofDoom

HawkofDoom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 09:22 PM

Hey Guys, I think I just found a really good setting for ATI HD Radeon users!!   I have a 4850 x2 card with 1 Gig of Ram and I'm seeing 80+ frames on mid settings with Bloom turned off!   Bloom should really be a setting in the Advanced Menu, but since its not... look for the HawkenSystemSettings.ini in your MyDocsMy GamesHawkenHawkenGameConfig folder.  Set Bloom=False.  Hopefully this will help another player.

#19 OneMoar

OneMoar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationBatavia Ny

Posted November 08 2012 - 09:35 PM

View PostHazaRDReborN, on November 08 2012 - 08:15 PM, said:

considering that the game is targeted free2play it better not need a Quad Core to run ....
Hmmmm. I respectfully disagree with you here. If a game is free2play or not does not change the quality of it. Why should a free2play game shy away from AAA quality in terms of graphics_ No, I believe that the two are not related with each other. A game (free or not) should be what it is designed to be. If they are looking for graphical quality that uses and utilses quad core then that is all the better. It then turns out into a free2play game with great quality, one that some people will after that be even happier to spend money on. I myself, if it had less quality that resembled other free2play games, would never have dropped a single dime on this title. The fact that they are pumping out these graphics (that I myself so far enjoy without performance issues) is something intriguing enough for me to consider purchases from the game-store. From there on, it is a shooter, more maps and mechs and so on are things that with the success of a title would be added. The main idea behind a shooter imo is to make it appealing, smooth and fun to play. Content quantity comes second to this all. Provided the foundation is great enough to utilize such graphics I am more than happy if on high graphical settings the game can push my system to it's limits. I mean, other than that, it's getting kinda lame nowadays. PC graphics are capped for so many reasons including consoles. Bringing another reason into the equation (free2play) to drop graphics or how heavy a game is designed, is really frustrating from my end as a PC gamer. It's time we started to come out of these restrictions. There are hundreds and hundreds of gamers out there that don't have half of their system potential used. I mean, even Crysis 2 (which i consider greatly optimised for PC's) with DX11 and ultra res textures and even with fraps on top, plays on a computer that was put together (from not the best parts of its time either) almost half a year before it's release with no problem at all, achieving graphics that make consoles drool. Hence, most rigs by now can handle such graphics. Time to make way for some more hardcore teched games imo ;) free2play or not ;)
but the majority of there income isnt gonna come from people with ~600-1000 dollar gaming rigs at least not initially its gonna come from people with 350-500 dollar machines and hawken has a lot of latent potential but there is much work to be done before I would call it AAA pretty graphics are easy .... well balanced COMPETITIVE game-play is not

you can have Super leet graphics and 6 Core munching Physics but if you punch the settings down to medium or low it should still run on your run of the mill mid range dual core proc and last gen gpu's there is no reason you can not do both infact the more you Optimization you do   the most Candy you can pack in and have it run acceptably  w/o requiring that 1000 dollar multi gpu gaming beast

Edited by OneMoar, November 08 2012 - 09:42 PM.

#20 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 08 2012 - 10:44 PM

throwing more hardware at the issue is not gonna fix it a Phenom II x2 should be more then enough to keep a 6870 feed Especially if hes got it unlocked to a X4 people with Core i5's are having issues the UT3 engine needs a fine hand when it comes to Optimizations;  or it runs like sh!t Especially on dual cores

and its not 35% its more like ~15-20%(in single threaded loads) in mulithreaded loads that use AVX/SSE4 the pile-driver chips walk all over intel's offerings ~but thats another thread ....
edit: considering that the game is targeted free2play it better not need a Quad Core to run ....
LOL wut_

Let's get a few things quite clear.
  • AMD CPUs have atrocious singlethread performance, to the point that up until the FX-8350, their singlethread performance actually DROPPED compared to a Phenom II X4 980. In other words, they actually performed WORSE.
  • Games depend extremely heavily on loading a few threads. In Unreal Engine's case, this is two heavily-used main threads, and, if the CPU has room for it, two lighter sub-threads.
  • His processor is almost 3 years old, which in gaming terms, is starting to get old.
  • The boosts are for singlethread performance and clock-for-clock terms, and have nothing to do with AVX (software's still barely using SSE4; don't count on mainstream AVX until 2015). Furthermore, AMD chips do not "walk all over" the Intels in pretty much anything. And even the two where the AMD wins there - 7Zip and a certain flavor of POVRay - the Intel is right on its heels. Lastly, keep in mind that the Intel is doing that on a 77W TDP, against the FX-8350's much hotter and more power-hungry 125W TDP - or to put it another way, it's doing superior work while using less power.
So to keep it short and sweet, yes, his CPU is holding him back. It's a dual-core, but dual-core chips, while still technically the minimum, are no longer mainstream - pretty much any mainstream processor now is a quad-core. It's also three years old, and he's pairing it up with a much faster videocard.

His CPU is about as good as an Intel CPU from circa 2008-2009. That means that on a modern game which will push both CPU and GPU, his CPU is going to hold him back.

View PostElix, on November 08 2012 - 08:34 PM, said:

Hard for who_ It's certainly not hard from a technical standpoint.

And if you think 30-60fps is a jarring transition, try 3-20fps. Running Hawken on a chalkboard, aww yeah.
Back in my day, we ran Hawken on an abacus.

AND WE LIKED IT!!!

View PostOneMoar, on November 08 2012 - 09:35 PM, said:

but the majority of there income isnt gonna come from people with ~600-1000 dollar gaming rigs at least not initially its gonna come from people with 350-500 dollar machines and hawken has a lot of latent potential but there is much work to be done before I would call it AAA pretty graphics are easy .... well balanced COMPETITIVE game-play is not

you can have Super leet graphics and 6 Core munching Physics but if you punch the settings down to medium or low it should still run on your run of the mill mid range dual core proc and last gen gpu's there is no reason you can not do both infact the more you Optimization you do   the most Candy you can pack in and have it run acceptably  w/o requiring that 1000 dollar multi gpu gaming beast
...You expect a $350-500 computer to handle Hawken's graphics_

Posted Image

Let's face it, the people who are going to play Hawken are going to be PC gamers, not people who load up Farmville. These are going to be people who are familiar with FPS games in general, and have pretty decent rigs. UE3 is certainly not the roughest engine, but there is no way in bunny hell that they are going to set the bar that low.

You can easily play the game for about a $750 computer (which would be a budget gaming computer). Core i5 3570K, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 8 GB of RAM and a 64-bit version of Windows 7 Home Premium or higher. You're all set.

They're going to tune the game for balance before it's tuned for speed. The majority of systems get good framerates, but some do not; the people who seem to be having issues tend to have either AMD CPUs, AMD GPUs, or both. The devs can improve it, surely, but eventually it's hitting the fundamental limits of the AMD CPUs - and, as far as GPUs go, remember this is a "Way it's Meant to be Played" title. Expect nVidia GPUs to pretty much always have an edge here (or if not, they'll certainly be prettier due to PhysX).

Edited by DarkPulse, November 08 2012 - 10:45 PM.

Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users