HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Possibly Stupid Question: Linux with Wine_

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tarlach

Tarlach

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 02:07 PM

So I know people are probably going to reel when they see the topic, but as I have recently downloaded and attempted to run the game (to no avail), I was wondering A) If there will be native support for anything besides windows, and B ) if anyone has succeeded running the game with Wine and/or wine_tricks. I'm going to be attempting to do so now, but if anyone has prior experience it would be much appreciated. Ill edit the OP if I find a way to pull this off.

EDIT: I pulled this off with some success, by using the tutorial from this link:
http://linuxgamecast...ith-winetricks/
If anyone has any questions, I don't mind getting specific. Winetricks is god tier now.

Edited by Tarlach, November 08 2012 - 03:01 PM.

#2 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 08 2012 - 02:12 PM

Amazing what search can do.

Currently, Hawken's being built only for Windows, and the fact that the game's built on DirectX makes porting to Linux tricky (since it'll either have to be dropped into WINE or the entire graphics engine'll need to be rewritten in OpenGL) means that you're not likely going to see a Linux port until some time after Open Beta happens, if at all.

As for pulling off running it in WINE, some of the people in that thread report doing it, but details are light.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#3 Tarlach

Tarlach

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 02:51 PM

View PostElix, on November 08 2012 - 02:12 PM, said:

Currently, Hawken's being built only for Windows, and the fact that the game's built on DirectX makes porting to Linux tricky (since it'll either have to be dropped into WINE or the entire graphics engine'll need to be rewritten in OpenGL) means that you're not likely going to see a Linux port until some time after Open Beta happens, if at all.

As for pulling off running it in WINE, some of the people in that thread report doing it, but details are light.

Well I did search for it, And I saw that thread. But like you said, it's hard to come by details in there. Mostly just "It works!" not HOW.

But Good news is I did get it to install and launch, but console spits out:
err:d3d_surface:surface_upload_data >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_INVALID_ENUM (0x500) from glTexSubImage2D @ surface.c / 2352
Repeatedly on every update loop. I'm thinking it's my graphics card, but I don't know for sure. As a GL programmer myself, SubImages are usually used in UIs, so it would explain why this is borking out in some ways.

(For those who are interested in getting installed, http://linuxgamecast...ith-winetricks/ worked for me for the most part, beyond possible hardware incompatablilites. I may try the Tablet method that was mentioned in some of the demos.)

Edited by Tarlach, November 08 2012 - 02:54 PM.

#4 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 08 2012 - 02:59 PM

Good to revive the topic and bring it into the beta forums, that's for sure. I'm just wary of people making threads without searching first, because that was pretty much 80% of the new threads created for the first two days of CBT1.

I think my upgrade path is going to be Windows 7 → Linux for full-time OS use. Only reason I'm still stuck using Windows is games, basically.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#5 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 08 2012 - 03:03 PM

View PostElix, on November 08 2012 - 02:59 PM, said:

Good to revive the topic and bring it into the beta forums, that's for sure. I'm just wary of people making threads without searching first, because that was pretty much 80% of the new threads created for the first two days of CBT1.

I think my upgrade path is going to be Windows 7 → Linux for full-time OS use. Only reason I'm still stuck using Windows is games, basically.
Same. The stronger Wine gets, the more likely I'll eventually move over.

It's still a few years out, though, easily. Especially since they have no working DX10+ implementation.
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#6 Venn

Venn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationAthens

Posted November 08 2012 - 05:24 PM

View PostTarlach, on November 08 2012 - 02:51 PM, said:

View PostElix, on November 08 2012 - 02:12 PM, said:

Well I did search for it, And I saw that thread. But like you said, it's hard to come by details in there. Mostly just "It works!" not HOW.

But Good news is I did get it to install and launch, but console spits out:
err:d3d_surface:surface_upload_data >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_INVALID_ENUM (0x500) from glTexSubImage2D @ surface.c / 2352
Repeatedly on every update loop. I'm thinking it's my graphics card, but I don't know for sure. As a GL programmer myself, SubImages are usually used in UIs, so it would explain why this is borking out in some ways.

(For those who are interested in getting installed, http://linuxgamecast...ith-winetricks/ worked for me for the most part, beyond possible hardware incompatablilites. I may try the Tablet method that was mentioned in some of the demos.)

Just tested the new closed beta. My guide for installing Beta 1 still works without issue. https://twitter.com/...2835456/photo/1

Keep in mind that it has only been tested on 32-bit Ubuntu 12.04 /w Nvidia 560ti graphics.

Cheers,
Venn

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users