HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

What does the functional item "Radar" actually do_

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dark_Horse

Dark_Horse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 03:04 PM

No seriously, I'm confused. All mechs have radar, regardless of whether or not they have Radar equipped. Is the Radar item a radar booster_ Is it an anti Radar Scrambler_ I don't get it.

#2 SunshineSloth

SunshineSloth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationSouth of the Equator, North of the South Pole.

Posted November 08 2012 - 03:18 PM

It's a portable radar. Say you throw it down on one side of the map and move away it will remain there and it will be as if you had radar vision of that area. Handy for snipers and the like.
Posted Image

#3 Saunders

Saunders

Game Designer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 06:49 PM

The radar doesn't work as well as we intend it for closed beta 2 - it's hard to see what it's sight is, and it's generally... meh.

Expect to see some nice changes to it between now and open beta.  For what it's worth, I now use it a lot when playing support during our internal playtests.  :D
David Saunders | Game Designer on HAWKEN @ Adhesive Games

#4 Dark_Horse

Dark_Horse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 02:56 PM

View Post[ADH]Saunders, on November 08 2012 - 06:49 PM, said:

The radar doesn't work as well as we intend it for closed beta 2 - it's hard to see what it's sight is, and it's generally... meh.

Expect to see some nice changes to it between now and open beta.  For what it's worth, I now use it a lot when playing support during our internal playtests.  :D

Thanks! Hey, wait a minute...I just got finished playing a match with you! Man you're good :o

I know what you're saying. The only time I ever use portable radar is to check spawn points to see if anyone popped up behind me. Mech-based radar is perfect for all other situations.

PS: nerf infiltrators

#5 IceTonic

IceTonic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 03:12 PM

View Post[ADH]Saunders, on November 08 2012 - 06:49 PM, said:

So it wasn't intended for it to spam voice commands on detected mechs_ Considering how much I find it actually useful, I'm curious to see how it'll go when some changes are applied to it.

#6 Dark_Horse

Dark_Horse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 03:24 PM

View PostIceTonic, on November 10 2012 - 03:12 PM, said:

So it wasn't intended for it to spam voice commands on detected mechs_ Considering how much I find it actually useful, I'm curious to see how it'll go when some changes are applied to it.

That can be somewhat useful in team-based games. But then, you only need ONE person with radar, or a gigantic map worthy of placing radar hotspots around. On DM maps it's pretty pointless.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users