HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Low FPS -- Remove shadows from 'Low' setting

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Vespian

Vespian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 07:03 PM

Windows Vista 32bit SP2
DirectX 10
Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
4GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 with 1GB dedicated memory, drivers completely up to date

I can play on the Sahara map with very comfortable FPS but as for maps like Titan it's very choppy. I noticed that the game despite being on the lowest settings possible still has shadows and a lot of reflective lighting which is probably why it's making it so difficult for my computer to run it.

Edited by Vespian, November 08 2012 - 07:15 PM.

#2 Immie

Immie

Dev Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted November 08 2012 - 07:35 PM

As a quick fix, you can go to DocumentsMy GamesHawkenHawkenGameConfig, open HawkenSystemSettings.ini and adjust settings there. DynamicShadows=False will knock out player shadows, and DynamicLights=False will totally remove shadows (well, more like puts everything in shadow... it's ugly, but really helps me get a stable frame rate).

Just a suggestion: A "super low" option, that changes every single .ini option to the setting which offers the best possible frame rate. Maybe have a disclaimer when players select it "this will make the game ugly"... Due to the game's free-to-play nature, we can expect lots of people to be trying to run the game on toasters, so I'd bet such an option would be much appreciated.

Edited by Immie, November 08 2012 - 08:44 PM.

Posted Image

#3 Vespian

Vespian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 07:56 PM

View PostImmie, on November 08 2012 - 07:35 PM, said:

As a quick fix, you can go to C:UsersJonDocumentsMy GamesHawkenHawkenGameConfig, open HawkenSystemSettings.ini and adjust settings there. DynamicShadows=False will knock out player shadows, and DynamicLights=False will totally remove shadows (well, more like puts everything in shadow... it's ugly, but really helps me get a stable frame rate).

Just a suggestion: A "super low" option, that changes every single .ini option to the setting which offers the best possible frame rate. Maybe have a disclaimer when players select it "this will make the game ugly"... Due to the game's free-to-play nature, we can expect lots of people to be trying to run the game on toasters, so I'd bet such an option would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot man, gonna try that out. Also, good suggestion.

#4 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 08 2012 - 08:09 PM

I'm running the game on a toaster, or a computer that might as well be a toaster. I can turn the quality down in the INIs until it looks like so many bunny pellets everywhere, but unfortunately there's no way to, say... turn down the physics simulation any, so I still bottleneck at 10fps and down if there's another mech on screen. Yes, my computer does meet the system requirements. ...barely.

But it certainly might yield performance improvements for people who're running Hawken on one of those shiny four-slot toasters that have more horsepower than me.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#5 viprk24

viprk24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted November 08 2012 - 08:29 PM

Manually set settings in config file manually, and make sure you have Nvidia physics drivers installed.

#6 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 09 2012 - 12:41 AM

One thing you guys could try doing, if you don't mind some ugliness (though be warned, it may not be supported):

DocumentsMy GamesHawkenHawkenGameConfigHawkenSystemSettings.ini.

Under the section [SystemSettings] look for the value ScreenPercentage. Set this to something like, say, 90.

What this does is it renders the game at a percentage of the actual resolution you pick. Let's say you play at 1920x1080. Using the above value as an example, this would keep the HUD elements all crisp and sharp at the 1920x1080 level, but the rendered 3D scene would actually be 1728x972 - 90% of 1920x1080.

I'd definitely advise setting this no lower than 50. Also, be warned, it will obviously make the game look worse, and as I said before, it might not even work at all (in which case, set this back to 100).

Edited by DarkPulse, November 09 2012 - 12:42 AM.

Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#7 Vespian

Vespian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 11:16 AM

View PostDarkPulse, on November 09 2012 - 12:41 AM, said:

One thing you guys could try doing, if you don't mind some ugliness (though be warned, it may not be supported):

DocumentsMy GamesHawkenHawkenGameConfigHawkenSystemSettings.ini.

Under the section [SystemSettings] look for the value ScreenPercentage. Set this to something like, say, 90.

What this does is it renders the game at a percentage of the actual resolution you pick. Let's say you play at 1920x1080. Using the above value as an example, this would keep the HUD elements all crisp and sharp at the 1920x1080 level, but the rendered 3D scene would actually be 1728x972 - 90% of 1920x1080.

I'd definitely advise setting this no lower than 50. Also, be warned, it will obviously make the game look worse, and as I said before, it might not even work at all (in which case, set this back to 100).

I had it set to 70 and I definitely noticed a big improvement in my FPS, and went to turn it down even lower, to 60 which upon restarting the game made my minimap and crosshairs off centered and very small. Now the only way I can get the crosshairs and minimap back to normal is having the screen percentage at 100 which is undesirable. I don't understand why it was working fine and then decided not to. I've tried putting it back at 70 and it still is messed up.

#8 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 01:29 PM

View PostVespian, on November 09 2012 - 11:16 AM, said:

I had it set to 70 and I definitely noticed a big improvement in my FPS, and went to turn it down even lower, to 60 which upon restarting the game made my minimap and crosshairs off centered and very small. Now the only way I can get the crosshairs and minimap back to normal is having the screen percentage at 100 which is undesirable. I don't understand why it was working fine and then decided not to. I've tried putting it back at 70 and it still is messed up.
As I warned, it may not exactly be supported. It sounds like, if anything, it only loosely is. Try deleting everything in the Config folder and relaunch the game (this will force the game to generate new INIs, so you'll have to re-set your options and the like). Once you do, exit out the game, change that value to 60, and then leave it there - see if that works.

Shadi, darling, it'd be nice if you could make sure your HUDs work nice and friendly with this option. It sounds like it may help people.

#9 Vespian

Vespian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 02:02 PM

View PostDarkPulse, on November 09 2012 - 01:29 PM, said:

View PostVespian, on November 09 2012 - 11:16 AM, said:

As I warned, it may not exactly be supported. It sounds like, if anything, it only loosely is. Try deleting everything in the Config folder and relaunch the game (this will force the game to generate new INIs, so you'll have to re-set your options and the like). Once you do, exit out the game, change that value to 60, and then leave it there - see if that works.

Shadi, darling, it'd be nice if you could make sure your HUDs work nice and friendly with this option. It sounds like it may help people.

Yeah, I reset the config and tried it at 60 and it did the same thing. Guess I can't do this.

#10 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted November 09 2012 - 02:45 PM

View PostVespian, on November 09 2012 - 02:02 PM, said:

Yeah, I reset the config and tried it at 60 and it did the same thing. Guess I can't do this.
Okay, try it again but see if it works at 70. If it does, then stick with that.

As for actual support, that's something Shadi and crew will have to do.

#11 Cinj

Cinj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 05:23 AM

As a quick fix, you can go to DocumentsMy GamesHawkenHawkenGameConfig, open HawkenSystemSettings.ini and adjust settings there. DynamicShadows=False will knock out player shadows, and DynamicLights=False will totally remove shadows (well, more like puts everything in shadow... it's ugly, but really helps me get a stable frame rate).

Sad thing is, I modified my .ini at some point and turned everything off that I could and got a similar result (that is, if your levels were completely dark aside from the players) and it felt like I was cheating and I promptly restored some of the graphics. But the framerate was so good.

It really bums me out that I'm enjoying the game but at the same time I'm not because the low (and unsteady) framerate is really killing it for me. Before anyone starts, I have a machine that should at least get 20-30 FPS on Low, but in reality I'm getting more like 10-20.

I'm almost tempted to go back to "dark world" just to be able to play.

#12 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 10 2012 - 07:52 AM

View PostDarkPulse, on November 09 2012 - 02:45 PM, said:

Okay, try it again but see if it works at 70. If it does, then stick with that.
I started from a vanilla HawkenSystemSettings.ini (I nuked it and then had Hawken recreate it). Anything below 100% causes a HUD offset to the top left. It's just less noticeable when the percentage is close to 100% because the HUD is roughly in the same space.

See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.

#13 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 09:15 PM

View PostElix, on November 10 2012 - 07:52 AM, said:

I started from a vanilla HawkenSystemSettings.ini (I nuked it and then had Hawken recreate it). Anything below 100% causes a HUD offset to the top left. It's just less noticeable when the percentage is close to 100% because the HUD is roughly in the same space.
So then yeah, seems like Shadi would have to make his menus play nice with this for it to "properly" work.

Shame, it could help a few people get some framerate if it worked!

#14 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted November 10 2012 - 09:24 PM

I did get some minor framerate increases, but I couldn't hit an AFK Rocketeer at point-blank with my targeting reticules way out of alignment.

#15 Arcana13

Arcana13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 10:21 AM

My ol' rig is actually almost the same as Vespians (except that I got 3gb ram and own a 8800gt from the last century).

The ini tweak Immie posted helped me alot on getting this game to playable frames with my old rig. My toaster now gets the game to run at 40 fps on average at the lowest resolution with drops at certain spots or at huge battles. There should be definitely a "toaster" graphics option with most of the effects listed in the ini disabled (blur, bloom,dynamic lighting, decals quantity etc).  

@Vespian: cool avatar bro. ZOE be the best high speed robot action mech game ever

#16 Zeshi

Zeshi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 10:29 PM

Helped out my fps so much, thank you
Posted Image

#17 Vespian

Vespian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted November 13 2012 - 11:49 AM

View PostArcana13, on November 11 2012 - 10:21 AM, said:

My ol' rig is actually almost the same as Vespians (except that I got 3gb ram and own a 8800gt from the last century).

The ini tweak Immie posted helped me alot on getting this game to playable frames with my old rig. My toaster now gets the game to run at 40 fps on average at the lowest resolution with drops at certain spots or at huge battles. There should be definitely a "toaster" graphics option with most of the effects listed in the ini disabled (blur, bloom,dynamic lighting, decals quantity etc).  

@Vespian: cool avatar bro. ZOE be the best high speed robot action mech game ever

Hell yeah dude, just bought the HD collector's edition. Love that game so much.

#18 Zeshi

Zeshi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted November 13 2012 - 12:14 PM

One thing to note, it appears this fix may make cloaked infiltrators seem completely invisible.
Posted Image

#19 Snoof

Snoof

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationLocation, Location

Posted November 19 2012 - 06:36 PM

Yup, taking your setting below Med will remove the shimmer effect from infiltrators and make them ACTUALLY invisble, until someone looks at them or they start moving
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users